PDA

View Full Version : Tough on crime !.....Grantham leads the way !

Krystal n chips
10th Mar 2015, 05:04
Clearly destined for the very top of Lincolnshire's "finest" then.....

BBC News - Grantham girl, 4, gets cycling-on-path police warning (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-31805312)

Having said that, possibly not such a surprise really if some of those who have appeared on various documentaries about Lincs "finest" are anything to go by. Some very "precious" ego's on display at times.

Possibly just as well we have abolished capital punishment and / or transportation however...... with such zealous efforts to keep down the crime rate...

Stanwell
10th Mar 2015, 06:14
"Erm, do you have a moment, Constable?
Come in and close the door behind you." :=

Andy_S
10th Mar 2015, 08:18
The cynic in me wonders whether this got recorded as a solved crime.....

tony draper
10th Mar 2015, 08:31
When I were nipper being caught cycling on the path or two on a bike would have earned you a trip to Swinburne Street nick no probs and a skelped arse off your Da when you got home.
Thus do you make honest citizens who know there are limits. :=

What the Fug
10th Mar 2015, 08:31
Brings to mind a new copper in the town where I was dragged up.

Did a seven year old for no brakes on his bike
Did the Detective Sergeants wife for no Tax on her car

For some reason he got stuck on his own for Halloween, when the children of Ireland get even for the year

skydiver69
10th Mar 2015, 10:18
If this story is true it makes one of my colleagues look like a heartless, unthinking robot! The police are getting to the point that we don't have enough PCs to go around yet someone has enough time to stop a 4 y.o. child. 99% of cyclists who ride on pavements or jump red lights never get stopped which makes this story look even worse.

Lastly I just want to say that not all my colleagues are like this but there are nobs in every profession.

MagnusP
10th Mar 2015, 10:58
skydiver, although not in your patch I spend a lot of time interacting with police officers, and they're generally a decent bunch. Had a joke and a laugh with a couple the other day when they preceded me into a local pub (looking for CCTV). They wouldn't accept that, as they were in first, it was their round!

joy ride
10th Mar 2015, 11:20
There are never enough Police to deal with drivers jumping red lights, speeding, using the wrong lane and blocking cycle lanes, yet as soon a cyclist, even a toddler, commit the slightest offence that's where you find a copper!

ShyTorque
10th Mar 2015, 11:59
Good thing she didn't fail to stop. Could have caused a major incident.

joy ride
10th Mar 2015, 12:01
Nothing good has ever come from Grantham!

GrumpyOldFart
10th Mar 2015, 12:06
Must be about time for Lon More to remind us of Grantham's biggest crime...

:E

critter592
10th Mar 2015, 12:45
I'm just waiting for the usual flurry of anti-cyclist comments to appear... :=

In the meantime, here's what the law says about riding on footways (emphasis in bold is mine):

There are confusing and often differing interpretations of what exactly constitutes a ‘pavement’ or ‘footway’ and the situation is not helped by the fact that many local authorities allow cycle access to what look like footways or pavements. The conditions under which walkways, footpaths, pavements or bridle paths can be ridden is dependent on local council bye-laws, which vary from council to council.

In the main, cycling on footways is technically prohibited for cyclists of any age In England and Wales. The legislation makes no exceptions for small wheeled or children’s cycles, so even a child riding on a footway is breaking the law. The maximum fine for ‘cycling on the pavement’ is £500. However this is usually enforced by way of a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) which carries a £30 fine if pleading guilty. Since FPNs can only be issued to those over 16 and the age of criminal responsibility is 10, technically only children below 10 years of age can cycle on footways without fear of any legal redress.

The police are, however, encouraged to show discretion towards younger children cycling on the pavement for whom cycling on the road would not be a safe option. Home Office guidance to police, traffic wardens and community support officers has also indicated that discretion should also be shown and FPNs only used where a cyclist of any age is riding in a manner that may endanger others.

The above was taken from the Environmental Transport Association's website and from Shoosmith's Access Legal webpages.

And while I'm on my soapbox, there is no legal requirement for pedal cyclists to use cycle paths, cycle lanes, etc.

G-CPTN
10th Mar 2015, 13:04
WRT the original PC - a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. :ugh:

joy ride
10th Mar 2015, 13:16
Last year I was cycling along the cycle lane on the 6 meter wide pavement of Rotherhithe New Road. A group of pedestrians was walking towards me in the cycle lanes. I rang my bell several times but they did not get out of the clearly marked and delineated cycle lanes. As I got closer I sounded my horn, but still no reaction, so as I got close I had to swerve out into the pedestrian area, passed them, then went straight back into the cycle lane.

A police car pulled up and the 2 officers cautioned me for cycling on the pavement. They had seen me swerving, I informed them that I had sounded my bell and horn several times, but they were adamant that it was me at fault. While chatting politely with them I pointed out that every time the traffic lights went red at the nearby junction, the "Advanced Stop Lane" junction boxes for cyclists were constantly blocked by vehicles, but the officers denied that it was their responsibility to enforce them...untrue!

These officers were only too happy to caution me and yet refused any consideration to the fact of pedestrians and motorists constantly using/obstructing those incredibly few facilities that do exist for cyclists.

teeteringhead
10th Mar 2015, 13:17
And the threat of confiscation? Surely that must be ultra vires even for an adult?

"Sorry Sir, you've been done for speeding - gissus the keys to yer Ferrrari!"

Surely some mistake there too? :confused:

skydiver69
10th Mar 2015, 13:17
Apparently the size of the wheel of the bike is also relevant to whether it is an offence to ride on a pavement or not according to something I've read on another forum. The law only applies to bikes with wheels 18 inches or more in diameter.

ShyTorque
10th Mar 2015, 13:35
One concern is that the little girl in question (who possibly found the telling off by a uniformed policeman quite upsetting) might try cycling on the road instead.

Her parents must find it difficult to put the situation in perspective for her.

Do they say that the policeman was right to stop her (in which case Mum and Dad are bad people and she shouldn't ride her bike, or use the road instead) or that the policeman was wrong (in which case she might think that policemen aren't to be believed or trusted).

Not an ideal situation either way. The police are in a situation where they need the trust and help of the general public more than ever before. This isn't the way to get it.

I was in a situation in my youth where I was accosted and accused, by a uniformed policeman, of illegally using a firearm in a public place and being in possession of an unlicenced weapon. This bobby saw me cleaning my airgun (I saw him, too) and he suddenly backtracked to hide behind a neighbour's low privet hedge, or trying to - his helmet stuck up above it as he stooped left and right, up and down, trying to find a gap to look through - so to me it looked like a silly parody of a Punch and Judy show!

Firstly, it wasn't being fired, nor was the barrel even in place to be fired. Secondly, it wasn't in a public place, it was on my father's (private) land.
Thirdly, it wasn't even a licensable weapon.

I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong and was quite upset by the accusation so I told my father, who had given me the airgun. He had a good friend who was, by coincidence the police sergeant in charge of the county firearms department. My father told him of the incident and I was advised that no offence had been committed. I was also advised, off the record, that the over zealous and ignorant young bobby had been told to wind his neck in and learn his job!

panda-k-bear
10th Mar 2015, 14:04
I did take it upon myself to get in contact with the PCC of Lincolnshire, one Alan Hardwicke Esq, who used to be a TV journalist and presenter of the 'Calendar' local news programme in the Yorkshire Television area (why he has the qualification to be a PCC is beyond me - the man is a bufoon).

I have asked him why he regularly appears on local TV whining about a lack of police resources when his officers have the time to do stupid things such as this and suggested that he may have already found one officer that is surplus to requirements, ergo 'the cuts' are working in favour of common sense.

No reply so far.

I wonder why not?

joy ride
10th Mar 2015, 14:33
I am currently in the Medway towns in Kent, and down here there are few cycle lanes and Police tolerate cyclists on the pavement as long as they are not speeding and are giving pedestrians priority and consideration.

This case does seem to me to highlight the whole issue of cycling in Britain, where virtually all Councils and governments claim to be "pro cycling" yet cycle lanes are incredibly badly designed, very few and very short. Budgets for improving cycling facilities get swallowed up by bureaucrats and countless reports, studies, guides, ads and PR, meetings, focus groups etc..

Interesting to note that Britain started building huge networks of trunk roads, and started tarmac'ing roads due to the cycling boom following the development of Safety Cycles, and before motoring became common. From the 1930s car ownership boomed and cyclists were gradually driven off the roads, many of which were made and/or surfaced for them!

MG23
10th Mar 2015, 15:30
Her parents must find it difficult to put the situation in perspective for her.

Probably because it's just another example of the almost complete lack of brains in the British police. There's no way to 'put it in perspective'.

When I was a kid, we'd all cycle on the pavement, and get out of the way if there were pedestrians around. The idea of a cop hassling us for it unless we were deliberately causing trouble for others was absurd; they had better things to do, and knew it.

Pontius Navigator
10th Mar 2015, 17:16
I did take it upon myself to get in contact with the PCC of Lincolnshire, one Alan Hardwicke Esq, who used to be a TV journalist and presenter of the 'Calendar' local news programme in the Yorkshire Television area (why he has the qualification to be a PCC is beyond me - the man is a bufoon).

I have asked him why he regularly appears on local TV whining about a lack of police resources when his officers have the time to do stupid things such as this and suggested that he may have already found one officer that is surplus to requirements, ergo 'the cuts' are working in favour of common sense.

No reply so far.

I wonder why not?

Hardwick is so busy and popular that he says he won't reply to emails but will take note of what you say.

I complained that Lincolnshire' s finest, if they get out of their cars don't wear their caps. When I were a lad, no hat meant off-duty.

4mastacker
10th Mar 2015, 17:35
That kid was unlucky in the sense that there actually was a plod out and about. Generally, there are none to be seen anywhere in the town except when the PCC is having a "public contact" day to show how well he thinks he's doing. Even the less-than-useless PCSOs are hard to spot.

Super VC-10
10th Mar 2015, 17:44
Ahh, Grantham. Home to that milk-snatching bitch who covered up, nay approved knighthoods for, paedophiles. :\

P6 Driver
10th Mar 2015, 21:46
And you're perfect I suppose?

mr fish
10th Mar 2015, 22:20
I Guess the P.C was bullied at school AND never had a bike when he was a child!!!

Mr Chips
10th Mar 2015, 23:52
Hardwick is so busy and popular that he says he won't reply to emails but will take note of what you say.
I complained that Lincolnshire' s finest, if they get out of their cars don't wear their caps. When I were a lad, no hat meant off-duty.
Can't imagine why you wouldn't get a response to such an important issue :ugh:

Metro man
11th Mar 2015, 00:44
I got a telling off from a policeman for riding my bicycle on the wrong side of the road in a little village close to Grantham. This was the late 1970s so the matter didn't get to court, nor was there any press coverage.

To this day I still wonder if I need to declare the incident when asked if I've ever been in trouble with the police before.;)

G-CPTN
11th Mar 2015, 00:59
To this day I still wonder if I need to declare the incident when asked if I've ever been in trouble with the police before.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/299916/rehabilitation-of-offenders-guidance.pdf

alisoncc
11th Mar 2015, 02:09
To this day I still wonder if I need to declare the incident when asked if I've ever been in trouble with the police before.;)I've been banned by the Pprune ppolice. Does that count?

panda-k-bear
11th Mar 2015, 12:12
Ahh, Grantham. Home to that milk-snatching bitch who covered up, nay approved knighthoods for, paedophiles

So THAT's why the police in Grantham had a go at a 4 year old. Silly me. :ugh:

Or was it just an excuse to point out that Grantham brought Britain's first female (an last great) Prime Minister, even though it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever? I hadn't realised it was a thread about famous sons and daughters of Grantham. I'll match your Thatcher and raise you Sir Isaac Newton.

Super VC-10
11th Mar 2015, 12:51
Thatcher was not a great PM. The last decent one we had was Churchill. Churchill united the country and got us out of a war. Thatcher divided the country and got us into a war.

I'll see your Isaac Newton and raise Thomas Paine.

panda-k-bear
11th Mar 2015, 12:59
Yes, she was.

Britain would be (even more) of a disaster if Kinnock had got his hands on it.

I'll match your Thomas Paine and raise you Henry More.