PDA

View Full Version : This is a bit amazing.

tony draper
9th Mar 2015, 22:35
Thinking of the graphics and processing power on the Commodore 64 we have moved on a tad.:uhoh:
Best at 1080p and full screen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey6XGv8ddTI
Offhand anybody know the title of that painting on the bulkhead

Bushfiva
10th Mar 2015, 00:28
That's an unfinished work, I believe: the water, for example.

For a better idea of what the engine can do, check out Kite (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6EMc6eu3c8). It is one of the demos that was made when the engine was released to the public, together with SDK, etc.

tony draper
10th Mar 2015, 08:10
Makes one wonder how far we will be twenty years from now,hollo decks? we will prolly need em, be way too dangerous to go outside.
When I say we I mean you, I wont be here.:rolleyes:

Sallyann1234
10th Mar 2015, 10:25
Nice idea, but by this stage the engine rooms would have been entirely flooded, so no power for those lights.

Blacksheep
10th Mar 2015, 10:55
The electricians kept the lights going until almost the final plunge - as noted by survivors in the lifeboats who stated that with the stern lifted out of the water (i.e. pitch angle greater than 35 degrees), the lights blinked twice, then went out.
...plus two 30 kW auxiliary generators for emergency use. Their location in the stern of the ship meant that they remained operational until the last few minutes before the ship sank. Hutchings & de Kerbrech 2011 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic#CITEREFHutchingsde_Kerbrech2011), p. 107.

The engineers manned the switchboard right to the end to light the way for escaping passengers and crew. They must have realised that meant going down with the ship - and despite knowing that, they continued to perform their duties to the bitter end. Bloody heroes, all of them.

handsfree
10th Mar 2015, 11:40
And the reason behind the purple background to the epaulettes and cuff rings on the Flight Engineers uniform - a lasting tribute to the valour of the engineers on the Titanic.

Blacksheep
10th Mar 2015, 12:01
...or so they say - except that there was no official Merchant Navy uniform nor even a "Merchant Navy" - until 1919, seven years after the Titanic went down. When the unifrom was defined, they copied the Royal Navy rank braids.

I have a pristine set of epaulettes stashed away somewhere as a souvenir of the olden days. I only ever wore them when operating as a flying spanner, but they were issued to all ground engineers working in public access places on the airport.

Ancient Mariner
10th Mar 2015, 12:14
I see, by Googling, that the merchant navy uniforms differ between UK and Norway.
In Norway the Royal Norwegian Navy uniform has bar and curl, called the "command/er/o/ing curl" in local lingo, while the Merchant Navy deck officers use bar and diamond on theirs.
Easier that way to know who to throw out from the bar when closing time draws near if there's a lack of womenfolks.
Us Engineers, without whom no deck officer would survive, have a propeller above the bars to remind the deck monkeys that without us they'll be back to trusting the wind.
Per

AGPwallah
10th Mar 2015, 15:46
Here's a fascinating theory about the Titanic story.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCMQtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzYFm3V5WpWQ&ei=0hD_VO__E8X3UoC2gJgF&usg=AFQjCNEf6W9xejkJRN71E0VBsx4KyRQu_g&bvm=bv.87920726,bs.1,d.ZWU

BTW: John Hamer's book 'The Falsification of History' is a great read and eye-opener.

AGP

tony draper
10th Mar 2015, 16:04
I blame the French.:)
"J.P. Morgan and Company" who had an inflation-adjusted net worth of $41.5 billion"
Yer I'm sure he would go to all that convoluted bollix to save himself a pittance like 12 million,
He probably spent that much on shoes.

Union Jack
10th Mar 2015, 16:16
And the reason behind the purple background to the epaulettes and cuff rings on the Flight Engineers uniform - a lasting tribute to the valour of the engineers on the Titanic. - Handsfree

Interesting, considering the decision to use purple to indicate engineer officers had been made some 45 years before the TITANIC sank, vide

Did Engineer Officers in the Royal and Merchant Navy wear purple cloth between the rank stripes on their uniform as a sign of mourning for the engineers who died in the Titanic? : General : Frequently asked questions : Sea & ships fact files : Sea & (http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/sea-and-ships/facts/faqs/general/did-engineer-officers-in-the-royal-and-merchant-navy-wear-purple-cloth-between-the-rank-stripes-on-their-uniform-as-a-sign-of-mourning-for-the-engineers-who-died-in-the-titanic)

Jack

Flybiker7000
10th Mar 2015, 21:30
BTW: The legacy of Commodore64 is the 'cut off the main - and restart', wich most of us regularly uses in desperation over electric gadgets wich doesn't work ;-)

The demo doesn't impress me as it isn't on level with todays cartoons wich mostly is created digitally!

OT: I've had great joy reading the trivia about the movie Titanic on IMDB (of wich I at the state remembers that the visible breath, due to the freezing cold surroundings, is added digitally):Titanic (1997) - Trivia - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120338/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv).
You should give it a look.

Conspiracy: Wow! But wouldn't it be rather simple to confirm the few solid claims :-/

Sallyann1234
11th Mar 2015, 09:49
Thanks for the correction to my earlier post about the lighting. It's always good to learn.

cattletruck
11th Mar 2015, 11:12
I actually loathe the so called perfection achieved in CGI. There are areas where its technical application can be useful (training) but in fantasy (hollywood) I think it's a [email protected]

If you met some of the propeller heads that churn out this stuff which is constrained by their own worldly experiences you may come to the same conclusion. It's just eye candy full of subtle exaggerations and flaws, it gets tiring real quickly.

Ancient Mariner
11th Mar 2015, 12:35
Classic, Basil.
If bored onboard, start a discussion on who's more important to the ship, deck monkeys or engineer.
My final thrust was always:
Lose all engineers in the middle of the Pacific, you'll be dead in the water after 48 hours.
Lose all Navigators same place, we'll find land. Some land, and with todays easy to use GPS, probably the land we wanted.
Per

Flybiker7000
11th Mar 2015, 19:33
Quote:
...plus two 30 kW auxiliary generators for emergency use. Their location in the stern of the ship meant ..............

By wich powersource would such auxiliary generators at that place be driven?

Sallyann1234
11th Mar 2015, 20:08
A fuel tank on the deck beside them?

Ancient Mariner
11th Mar 2015, 22:54
Flybiker7000:By wich powersource would such auxiliary generators at that place be driven?

I would guess steam, likely the steering gear was steam powered as well.
Per

Flybiker7000
12th Mar 2015, 22:42
Steampower would not be present at the time that main electrics would fall out due to flooding!
With an output of 30kW it would have demanded an petrol engine of a size that I can't imagine for the pre WW1 era :-/

Ancient Mariner
12th Mar 2015, 22:54
They had 29 boilers, if all, or even 20 were fully pressurised when the ship started to sink, that would be plenty to power 2x30 kW emergency generators for quite a while. Some more info available, and I could have done the math.......30 years ago. ;)
Did some Gnoogeling:
Besides the four main generating sets there are also two 30 kw. sets situated in a recess off the turbine room at saloon deck level, well above the water-line. These may be connected by means of a separate steam pipe to boilers situated in one of several boiler rooms, and will be available for emergency in case the main sets should be put temporarily out of action; the general features of their design are very similar to the main sets, but the engines are of the two-crank compound type, and the dynamos are not fitted with commutating poles.

Found here: "The Electrician" 28 Jul 1911 (http://marconigraph.com/titanic/electrician/elec_110728.html)
Per