PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10

ExSp33db1rd
8th Mar 2015, 07:22
Bit early yet I suppose, but just been reading a comment that peripheral manufacturers may not write drivers for things like printers, scanners, etc. for the new Win 10, so should I take up the promised free download of Windows 10, to escape Windows h'eight, I may have to buy a new printer, and scanner?
:*
Any comments ?

Bushfiva
8th Mar 2015, 08:33
If I remember correctly, you have an antique Acer scanner and Vuescan, so scanning won't be an issue for you.

Gsxr600
8th Mar 2015, 09:17
I think it's unlikely you'll not be able to use a Windows 8 driver even if a specific Windows 10 driver is not available. Most drivers for Windows 8 are identical to Windows 7 afterall, some XP drivers even work in Win7/8.

ExSp33db1rd
9th Mar 2015, 04:50
Bushfiva - good memory !! Correct, thanks.

I'm sure it will all be sorted out before Win 10 hits us, I was just a bit surprised to read that comment tho'.

PowerDragTrim
9th Mar 2015, 08:14
Why don't you try it!
Download the .iso file from Download Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO - Microsoft Windows (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-iso) , burn the DVD and install it onto a spare hdd.
I am currently using it and have had no issues with drivers.
Do bear in mind it is still a 'Tech Preview' and so may not be as polished as the RTM version due out later this year.

mixture
9th Mar 2015, 09:42
Do bear in mind it is still a 'Tech Preview' and so may not be as polished as the RTM version due out later this year.

That's an understatement.

If people do not comprehend what a 'Tech Preview' or 'Beta' is, they should not be using it. And in any event, people should NEVER, EVER use beta software on a machine they actively use... it should always be used on a spare machine or virtual machine.

Microsoft spell this out on the page you linked to:

That's why we recommend that you don't install the preview on your primary home or business PC.

People would be well advised to heed that advice !