PDA

View Full Version : Be there life here?

con-pilot
7th Mar 2015, 17:04
Mystery noise could be an Earth-like world: Strange signals suggest habitable planet exists 22 light years away | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2983202/Alien-noise-Earth-like-world-Mystery-signals-suggest-habitable-planet-exists-22-light-years-away.html)

Astronomers believe mysterious signals - previously dismissed as stellar bursts - are coming from an Earth-like planet.

Read more: Mystery noise could be an Earth-like world: Strange signals suggest habitable planet exists 22 light years away | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2983202/Alien-noise-Earth-like-world-Mystery-signals-suggest-habitable-planet-exists-22-light-years-away).

Hmmmmmm.

meadowrun
7th Mar 2015, 17:07
Aren't "habitable" and "22 light years away" mutually exclusive terms?.

We're still kind of bush league. 8 years to find a hunk of Japanese rust a couple of miles down and a B777 still unaccounted for.

tony draper
7th Mar 2015, 20:03
Dead easy to say that, 20 Light Years,or indeed type it out,it's only 22 light years away, but a man could go insane just trying to actually get his mind round what a mind numbing gulf of distance that is.
:uhoh:

G-CPTN
7th Mar 2015, 20:29
129,000,000,000,000 miles - with the distance to our Sun from Earth being 92,955,807 miles it is 1,387,756 times that distance - 1.4 million times the distance to the Sun.

You won't manage that in a long weekend . . .

con-pilot
7th Mar 2015, 21:50
You won't manage that in a long weekend . . .

Yeah, you'd probably need to pack an extra lunch. :p

funfly
7th Mar 2015, 21:53
Daily Mail Online….Hmph :=

Sir George Cayley
7th Mar 2015, 21:54
I say! A two pipe problem if ever there was.

SGC

ehwatezedoing
7th Mar 2015, 21:57
We had someone who invented the wheel.
Newton, gravity
Einstein pushed it to E=MC2

We need another true genius that will figure out a way to bypass this speed of light wall.
And that won't be through the Daily Mail....

G-CPTN
7th Mar 2015, 22:24
Knowing (!) that the Universe contains much dark matter, what we need to know is - what is the speed of dark?

I think we should be told.

con-pilot
8th Mar 2015, 03:37
what is the speed of dark?

Hang on a minute, I'll turn off the lights and let you know.

gemma10
8th Mar 2015, 06:48
And somewhere in that pot of gold is Dark Energy as well. Is the ether full of mars bars.

Pinky the pilot
8th Mar 2015, 06:52
what is the speed of dark?

Would depend on the amount of single Malt consumed I would think.

alisoncc
8th Mar 2015, 07:58
I have just heard on the news that flight MH370 has just landed in Beijing. The crew are wondering what all the fuss is about.

tony draper
8th Mar 2015, 08:34
Dark matter is just the intersection betwixt the next universe to us in the multiverse, we share a dimension, oddly enough it is our 'up' dimension but across there it is 'sideways'
:rolleyes:

hiflymk3
8th Mar 2015, 08:47
Maybe the signals coming from Gliese 581d are its inhabitants trying to post on JB realising that it is the only place on Earth where intelligent life exists.

John Marsh
8th Mar 2015, 09:00
ehwatezedoing:
We had someone who invented the wheel.
Newton, gravity
Einstein pushed it to E=MC2

We need another true genius that will figure out a way to bypass this speed of light wall.
And that won't be through the Daily Mail.... Allow me... first, recognise that all objects have a unique energetic signature.

Part of that signature relates to the object's location. If this is altered in accordance with where we want the object to be, it will instantly be located there.:ok:

In this process, no travel as we think of it occurs. The object ceases to exist at location A and starts existing at location B. Hence, the light-speed limit is removed. Simples!:)

tony draper
8th Mar 2015, 09:28
Yer but only the guild navigators can do that and they need that spice to do so.
:)

Windy Militant
8th Mar 2015, 10:39
they need that spice to do so.

I've got some Thyme will that do? :}

Groundgripper
8th Mar 2015, 10:52
If this is altered in accordance with where we want the object to be, it will instantly be located there

Certainly doesn't work in this house - nothing's ever where Senior Management wants it and I have to shift it.:(

GG

cattletruck
8th Mar 2015, 13:54
Astronomers believe mysterious signals - previously dismissed as stellar bursts - are coming from an Earth-like planet.

Could it just be reflections from a previous SETI project from a lost Earthly era before mankind wiped most of themselves out and started again?

Um... lifting...
8th Mar 2015, 14:15
Knowing (!) that the Universe contains much dark matter, what we need to know is - what is the speed of dark?

I think we should be told.

Curiously, I had a physics professor who actually did work in this area.

He wore a lab coat in class with "Nobel Prize Laureate Runner-Up" on the back. He wore it because it was true.

He was truly hilarious, and I understood almost nothing that he tried to impart.

meadowrun
8th Mar 2015, 14:20
This is all well and good but what is on the other side of a Black Hole?

Um... lifting...
8th Mar 2015, 14:30
There you go with your linear thinking again.

'Side'.

Pish. Twaddle.

meadowrun
8th Mar 2015, 15:02
Are there are any bottomless holes?.

Um... lifting...
8th Mar 2015, 15:09
Hmmm... bears thinking about.

EK0R272RjXI

ehwatezedoing
8th Mar 2015, 20:03
Are there are any bottomless holes?.

I think they call it "Wall Street"

Or Obamacare.

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Mar 2015, 05:28
Maybe the signals coming from Gliese 581d are its inhabitants trying to post on JB realising that it is the only place on Earth where intelligent life exists.

Steady on!:ooh: You'll have those aviator types on the other forums wanting to post in here if word gets out...

Pinky the pilot
9th Mar 2015, 06:48
You'll have those aviator types on the other forums wanting to post in here if word gets out...

Too late SRT!:eek: We already know!!:E
Cue sound affects; Megalomaniacal type laughter!

Solid Rust Twotter
9th Mar 2015, 07:34
This could mean the end of the horse drawn Zeppelin, Mr Pinky...!:ooh:

Captain Dart
9th Mar 2015, 08:02
I for one believe that there is still a place for the horse in air transport.

Flypro
9th Mar 2015, 08:02
Since when could horses draw?
This kind of untruth fair makes me bridle:*

MagnusP
9th Mar 2015, 08:10
This could mean the end of the horse drawn Zeppelin,

Nah; they had their own Boeing 720, srt, The Starship.

Pinky the pilot
9th Mar 2015, 10:36
Boeing 720, srt, The Starship.

Starship??:confused: What, what, what, what???:confused::confused:

MagnusP
9th Mar 2015, 10:43
Pinky, a lifetime ago, singer Bobby Sherman bought an ex-UA 720 to lease to touring bands. It was known as the Starship. Zep hired it in the early 1970s.

Pinky the pilot
9th Mar 2015, 10:45
Ah so desu! Thank you MagnusP:ok:

Lon More
9th Mar 2015, 10:46
a previous SETI project from a lost Earthly era

Tours to the launch sites in Atlantis and Antartica available from next spring

MagnusP
9th Mar 2015, 10:50
Atlantis might be tricky, 'cos all this global warming and rising sea level keech means Atlantis will be even deeper than before. Awkward one, that. On the plus side, the Antarctic ice cap will have melted completely (see above), so the launch site will be readily accessible. HTH. ;)

Blacksheep
9th Mar 2015, 11:26
The object ceases to exist at location A and starts existing at location B. Hence, the light-speed limit is removed. Exactly. Photons do it all the time (whatever that is!). Unfortunately we are made of Catholic particles and thus, having mass, we cannot perform the same transformation (or would that be transubstantiation?).

...yet. :suspect:

rgbrock1
9th Mar 2015, 13:53
John Marsh wrote:

Allow me... first, recognise that all objects have a unique energetic signature.

Part of that signature relates to the object's location. If this is altered in accordance with where we want the object to be, it will instantly be located there.

In this process, no travel as we think of it occurs. The object ceases to exist at location A and starts existing at location B. Hence, the light-speed limit is removed. Simples!

Thinking about what you just wrote, my brain burst into spontaneous combustion. Thank you sir. :ok:

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/Mfw+i+m+on+fire+and+i+don+t+realize+it+_7381e4316c3dee4e01f1 66101945db2b.jpeg