PDA

View Full Version : Basic turboprop theory.

poonpossum
7th Mar 2015, 10:11
Hi friends.

I was wondering if anyone has any recommended reading on basic turboprop operations.

I understand how they physically work, but am looking for information on how the in cockpit controls actually physically change the state of the engine, how the fuel is regulated within the engine, what's happening to make the feather and beta stages work, how the instruments actually measure the torque and temperatures, what the word 'idle' actually means, how the rpm is regulated, what the governer overspeed button does, how the start sequence works on a mechanical level, etc etc.

I feel like I kind of know what's going on inside a piston when I'm operating them, but it's mostly just from hanging around when engineers are tinkering.

I'm probably about to upgrade to a turbine and wouldn't mind having a similar understanding of what's actually going on. I'm looking for something to read or study, preferably PT6 centric, unless anyone has the time to explain it for me here. :)

Thanks

The name is Porter
7th Mar 2015, 10:40
You can do an online P&W course through Flight Safety. They are expensive ($500 US) but in the long run is it? It's an excellent course with quiz's & is interactive. It'd be good if you could record it :E but I believe that'd be breaching copyright :hmm:

Captain Nomad
8th Mar 2015, 00:28
See if you can get your hands on a copy of 'Advanced Aircraft Systems' by David Lombardo:

http://covers.booktopia.com.au/big/9780070386037/advanced-aircraft-systems.jpg

Great background reading covering the sort of stuff you are looking for with B200 examples, diagrams, illustrations etc.

enginair
8th Mar 2015, 10:15
Try searching pprune for free pt6 theory or similar , very helpfull

Square Bear
8th Mar 2015, 13:34
You can do an online P&W course through Flight Safety. They are expensive ($500 US) but in the long run is it?

Don't waste your own cash on such things.

If you are about to get a start on a turbine do a whole bunch of jump seat rides, and get the company to pay for any such courses.

Really, IMHO, doing courses before you need to is just a waste of time due a need to be able to relate to what you are doing, not what you might be going to do.

And, just have a chat to guys that fly or have flown the things.....I never had a issue in spending a hour or so passing on first hand information, and I know most pilots would be exactly the the same.

Don't pay for a course when you can get it delivered for free in the first person, (OK...perhaps a beer or two :) ).

Capot
8th Mar 2015, 15:08
Not a bad intro here (http://www.cast-safety.org/pdf/1_basics.pdf)

But once you've got that (or similar, the internet is flush with good stuff) under your belt, if you can find a workshop doing overhauls which will let you have a look at the innards, observe test-runs etc,you'll be well on the way. Jump seat/RH seat rides behind a t/rpop would be the icing on the cake, but of most value when you know exactly what's going on in the engine.

j3pipercub
9th Mar 2015, 07:13
Don't rule out youtube either, especially if you would search pt-6 equipped aircraft i.e. Caravan start from cockpit or Kingair eninge start cockipt. Brings up some alright results. As others have said though, don't study too much, all will be revealled during the ground school no doubt.

aussie027
13th Mar 2015, 05:52
Some good suggestions re sources have been mentioned, mostly free off net, some specific textbooks may also be free and downloadable as pdf from certain sites.

The standard BGT theory books that have been around for 30 plus yrs and updated regularly may also be available online.
Eg Rolls Royce, The Jet Engine and another excellent one by P & W.

Back many decades ago when I did all my professional theory the BGT exam was a CASA requirement. I think that too was eliminated years ago.:hmm:
Maybe not the best move, just like eliminating the morse code test was seen as a very bad decision by IFR instructors. :hmm:

MX Trainer
13th Mar 2015, 16:22
PP

Good information here - 2 pages of mostly PT6 stuff for maintenance people - but if you really want to know your aircraft engine there is no such thing as too much information.

File Catalog - FreeBee (http://freebee.ucoz.com/load/)

Mx

FGD135
14th Mar 2015, 02:16
PT6 or TPE331?