PDA

View Full Version : Apache replacement

Vendee
7th Mar 2015, 06:57
Looks like Augusta Westland are at it again.

BBC News - Lobbyists 'delaying Apache contract' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/31769714)

I wonder how much it will cost the taxpayer this time :=

Sun Who
7th Mar 2015, 08:01
This is the bit that really annoyed me:

Former defence secretary Geoff Hoon, who now runs AgustaWestland's international business division, has been part of the lobbying effort. Sun.

P6 Driver
7th Mar 2015, 08:03
Bring back the Scout.
:ok:

Rotate too late
7th Mar 2015, 08:20
Sun,
You have a point, there are plenty of former military too that have wound up there. Not jobs for the boys though. :ugh:

Evalu8ter
7th Mar 2015, 08:39
Remember that AW are a business; they make money by selling helicopters and support services. Of course they will bid and lobby hard for UK RW orders. Let's not attack them for simply doing their job. I'd rather we poured scorn on the weak politicians who listen to lobbyists and govern by focus groups and polls rather than by decisiveness and common sense.

Martin the Martian
7th Mar 2015, 08:40
I think perhaps the UK division of AW should lobby its own management in Italy for more work rather than the MoD. AW builds copious numbers of helicopters, many more of them in Italy than in the UK.

Lima Juliet
7th Mar 2015, 09:21
Would it not be cheaper all round to buy from Boeing. That's £20mil a copy and then pay AW UK £10mil a copy to do nothing but go away. £10mil a copy saving! And a capability that is interoperable with the US, bargain.

I made that exact same point to some senior managers at a defence company up near Blackpool - they were giving me the sob story over a probable loss of 2,000 jobs at the same time as we had to lose 5,000 to make their future expensive equipment 'affordable'. I said that it woukd be cheaper to pay all their workers £100k and buy off the shelf to keep our 5,000 personnel. I wasn't invited back after that!

LJ

Rotate too late
7th Mar 2015, 09:21
Fully accept the point about business, but would you go back to a company that you know fleeced you the last time. I wouldn't. As has been alluded to, AW is Italian. It's not as if the money will honestly stay in the south west.

dat581
7th Mar 2015, 09:59
Seems like the UK has the same political disease as Australia. We had the Sea Sprite debacle among other silly ideas to Australianise aircraft and the Collins Class submarines were an even more expensive stuff up but at least they made it into service. . The F/A-18F, C-17 and MH-60R have been bought straight off the shelf and all have been delivered at or under contract price and on time.

Gnd
7th Mar 2015, 13:40
rotate - last time? This time, the time before, the time before that....i could go on! Capitalist society - fine, possible outright fleecing- not so fine!:ugh:

Rotate too late
7th Mar 2015, 15:14
Gnd,
Copy that, but I don't necessarily wish to turn this into a Westlands bash, it's been done by people far more articulate and knowledgeable than I. The issue is that a news story like this has been fired into the press, I would suggest, because of exasperation with the system giving people like buffoon the time of day. Every time I've gone down to westlands I've always come away checking for my wallet and phone.
Maybe the chickens are coming home to roost?

Evalu8ter
7th Mar 2015, 16:21
It's very easy to just blame AW for all of our problems. Perhaps we in the military need to shoulder our share of the blame with ever-changing requirements, yo-yo budgets (first save, then panic spend) and the veritable revolving door of Desk Officers, RMs and other Cap area inmates robbing programmes of continuity (yes, I know, that CS are supposed to provide that function, but they move their 'fast streamers' even quicker than the Mil do, and a lot of them are parachuted into senior posts for the 'tick' then leave before the impact of their decisions are felt).

Yes we paid over the odds for the AW Apache, but we did get a superior product in terms of engines and certain mission systems. The key factors, as always, are Requirements and finances. The -64E is a far better product than the D and, if it meets the needs and pocket of the AAC (both now, and, more importantly, through life) then we should buy FMS/DCS from the US. Just a rumour, but, allegedly, Boeing felt stuffed by AW over the original deal and in part it's why the Block 3 D model became the E model - AW's licence only covers the D.

Bigpants
7th Mar 2015, 16:52
Would make a very nice A10 Base and would really annoy the RAF...

Rotate too late
7th Mar 2015, 16:56
Oooooooooohhh.....I like! :ok: I'd even sign back on!!!

Rosevidney1
7th Mar 2015, 18:52
They are not known as 'Wastelands' without good reason!

ShotOne
7th Mar 2015, 19:02
If we were to look outside the military section of this forum, it isn't full of airline staff moaning about how suppliers have "fleeced" them or made them "pay over the odds". Why is that? Who negotiates these contracts; are they given any training? I'm not saying there are never problems like this with procurement in the private sector but it's pretty rare.

typerated
7th Mar 2015, 19:51
Army's £1bn Apache deal 'delayed' as AgustaWestland fights to keep contract in Britain - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/11456603/Armys-1bn-Apache-deal-delayed-as-AgustaWestland-fights-to-keep-contract-in-Britain.html)

"AgustaWestland has a proven track record of delivering value for money on the UK Apache programme." says AgustaWestland :hmm:

Evalu8ter
7th Mar 2015, 20:14
Shot One,
The imperative in the civil world is, simply, the bottom line. Defence procurement has always been one of the levers of Govt to subsidise, for political or socio-economic ends, certain Industries in certain locations. We also change our mind over what we want, or try to change the way we pay (think salami slicing) - neither of which is free. Outside direct political intervention (eg Prescott vs Hawk T2s) the worst culprits are the ticket punching fast streamers (both mil and CS) who float in and out of acquisition with the sole agenda of making a mark and legging it. We continually send naive amateurs into battle with professionals - any wonder we lose?

ShotOne
7th Mar 2015, 20:52
Agreed on almost all of that, eval8 but it's not just the bottom line. The kit has to do what it says on the tin and do so with extreme reliability, economy and safety. And if it doesn't, everyone involved in buying it gets their balls cut off!

ShotOne
7th Mar 2015, 21:04
Agreed on almost all of that, eval8 but it's not just the bottom line. The kit has to do what it says on the tin and do so with extreme reliability, economy and safety. And if it doesn't, everyone involved in buying it gets their balls cut off!

DHC4
7th Mar 2015, 21:11
Dat581, where did you get costings from to know if the of the shelf purchases have been on or under cost.

TBM-Legend
7th Mar 2015, 22:53
A cheaper solution; it's the Sioux "attack" helo. It will fit the shrinking UK budget and is a stealth machine with a low radar and IR signature too boot!:p

http://vietnamresearch.com/air/helo/helo_weapons16.gif

orca
8th Mar 2015, 07:19
Shotone,

Not a criticism but picking up on your last point. I have yet to see a single member of the military or MoD CS held to account for any equipment deficiency or shoddy acquisition. Which can only mean that it did happen and I missed it, or it hasn't happened, or there have been no examples of shoddy acquisition. I think the last one might be unlikely because we wouldn't have needed Levene and Gray et al to sort out a problem if it wasn't there.

I can personally think of three senior figures at DE&S who are useless - but they get shuffled from team to team and their incompetence is an 'in joke' but they don't get sacked.

On a similar note, I have noticed that no-one has gone after Dannatt, Stirrup, Torpy, Band et al for their pensions (or even just an apology or public admonishment) - surely that's where we should have started when it became apparent that their generation created the £38 bn hole that we have laboured long and hard to fill?

ORAC
8th Mar 2015, 08:48
The kit has to do what it says on the tin and do so with extreme reliability, economy and safety. As NASA found, you can only ever manage 2 out of 3 at any one time....

ShotOne
8th Mar 2015, 10:09
I'm glad you mentioned NASA. When they were tasked to go to the moon, no one told them to do it cheaply. But the budget became an issue later.Today the ISS gets its cornflakes delivered by a private company - for a fraction of what it would have cost the government. a similar approach to defence procurement might get us a lot of kit we currently can't afford.

tornadoken
9th Mar 2015, 11:49
(G.Hoon was SEC.of State/Defence to 6/5/05). MoD issued its Defence Industrial Strategy paper 12/05 establishing Strategic Partnership Agreements. AgustaWestland signed one 22/6/06. The present Govt. retains them: they are an attempt to reconcile: "the fragility of the wider UK industrial base is such that open international competition could put the sustainment of key industrial capabilities at risk", with the need to extract best value from our £. There is an Open Book notion to attempt to link profit to efficiency.

Always - there are no exceptions - we try to buy jobs with our Defence budget. Always - there are no exceptions - when best value suggests an import, we try to create some jobs - either by offset, or by fitting some UK kit. That costs £. What the User wants is fit kit NOW! What Ministers want is same+jobs+value. No doubt a Commercial Off the Shelf AH-64E would upfront cost less than a WAH-64E. Quite proper for the UK Supplier to lobby. Quite proper for a firm to employ anyone with a little black book of direct numbers (much good may it do).

Be grateful you are not the Minister. Whatever you do will be wrong - in someone's mind.

dctyke
9th Mar 2015, 12:10
"Be grateful you are not the Minister. Whatever you do will be wrong - in someone's mind."

I'm sure some lucrative job in the future will help him get over it!

LowObservable
9th Mar 2015, 12:23
The lesson these days is "buy our kit, buy our update path". The US Army has been given lots of money to upgrade its Apaches, with the result that the AH-64D Block Is are already close to being inducted into the AH-64E remanufacturing program. Block II will hang around much longer and I think most of the exports are Block II. But the UK aircraft are pretty young to be facing obsolescence.

RileyDove
9th Mar 2015, 12:47
The U.S Apache has been a constant story of remanufacture -A's into D's and D's into E's . Anyone who is operating hot and high is going to want E.

Been There...
9th Mar 2015, 13:20
Unfortunately having spent the last 10 years in the acquisition stream covering T&E, research and finally the last considerable stint at DE&S, getting 'fit for purpose' is incredibly difficult because no-one is willing to underwrite (or even define) capability level KURs.

The MOD is very much risk averse when it comes to commercial decisions, and as a consequence would rather roll over than play hard ball with industry. MOD tries to play fair with EU procurement regulations and then wonder why we get shafted as everything takes so long to define, compete, procure and deliver.

An analogy which has many real-life examples: imagine you are a company that wants to procure a new engine management system for your fleet of BMWs, you would think that you could just go to BMW and buy new ones. In the MOD, a case has to be written to say why you can't go Ford, Audi and Bentley to get a new engine management system for your BMW. You have to do this in formal commercial terms through advertising in the journal, pre-qualification questionnaire and maybe a full bid (because only at the bid stage is money allowed to be discussed). That takes time, money and people to do that work. Or it takes someone with big (political) balls to say "No, we are going this way" and take the informed and accepted risk.

Now in the case of an overseas capability, how do you get an overseas (or even UK contractor) to sign up to any performance of mission critical capabilities which are UK-specific such as DAS, comms or weapons. Furthermore, how do we programme, test and accept such capabilities if they are US systems where we are not allowed access to the guts of the system or the T&E data?

Whilst I accept that an off-the-shelf cost for Block III might be cheaper, TLCs need to be considered when looking at the niche capabilities we have rather than the helicopter itself. Or, we just accept that the US T&E system works perfectly fine and they get 'fit for purpose' from their platforms when delivered to the front-line...

No easy answer, but blindly trusting the US to deliver to spec (when they have defined the spec which will not be the same as ours) is potentially foolhardy.

Heathrow Harry
9th Mar 2015, 16:51
well if the choice is some Apaches built to US spec or no Apaches at all I know what I'd prefer.............................

HEDP
9th Mar 2015, 17:06
LowObservable: Too young indeed; a symptom of our slow procurement process that led us to be one of the last customers for Block 1, hence 5 years less use from what we buy due to obsolescence. The same will be true of E model as due to prevarication we will be late into the program and therefore not realise the through life benefit.

The significant through life costs attributable to Block 1 in a large part stem from bespoke software leading to all elements of the platform and part task trainers requiring bespoke development. This can be offset with E model by having common software and hardware as much as possible and federated DAS sensors.

Work share again is an interesting area as Boeing Defence UK has more manpower invested in Uk Apache then Westland do.The jobs will not transfer out of UK; it is merely a choice of an Italian or US owned company.....

Rotate too late
9th Mar 2015, 17:09
USA, USA,USA....Whoop whoop.....:}

Bigbux
9th Mar 2015, 20:57
Remember that AW are a business; they make money by selling helicopters and support services. Of course they will bid and lobby hard for UK RW orders. Let's not attack them for simply doing their job. I'd rather we poured scorn on the weak politicians who listen to lobbyists and govern by focus groups and polls rather than by decisiveness and common sense.

Evalu8tor - I wouldn't shed too many tears for them - they have fleeced the MoD for many years (not glib opinion - I've been involved in the numbers and support effort) and when I last dealt with them there was more than a little sharp practice going on (long term perpetrators were "let go" shortly after one of the take-overs).

As for job losses, Westlands has a long history of hiring contractors on low rates and short contracts - letting them go at opportune moments (with accompanying press release) and then re-hiring them.

New EU procurement regs came into force last month - they include Defence and Security contracts. The normal practice of lobbying and offering senior stakeholders (from the support as well as sharp end) consultancy positions, directorships and jobs may prove to be a little more difficult this time around. Unless the UK is planning to design and build it's very own AH thus avoiding an international competition , then the process becomes more transparent and challengeable.

And as for the procurement process being lengthy - ever asked why? It's not because of the process.

I look forward to Westlands either stepping up to the challenge and becoming the home grown centre of helicopter excellence they claim to be, or going bust.

TBM-Legend
9th Mar 2015, 22:02
Defence in the UK and Oz always seems to be an expensive "work for the dole" program. I don't see commercial enterprises who spend billions on kit being subject to this archaic syndrome. "Bank for the buck" is best. Why keep trying to reinvent the wheel at great expense, years late and often not fit for purpose...

skydiver69
9th Mar 2015, 22:57
The smaller our armed forces get, the less kit we need making it more expensive to build small quantities to meet our own needs which then makes sense to buy more off the shelf kit from someone else. Even if we buy UK kit lower quantities will mean less jobs will be involved in making it making buying British less of an issue.

Navaleye
10th Mar 2015, 00:09
Why are Apaches so knackered and need replacing so quickly?

Haraka
10th Mar 2015, 05:27
the home grown centre of helicopter excellence they claim to be,

Westlands at Yeovil have never themselves taken any helicopter through from initial design to production.
N.B. the Lynx was initially a Hayes ( i.e. ex. Fairey Helicopters ) design.

Evalu8ter
10th Mar 2015, 07:12
Navaleye,
We burnt a lot more hours in Afghan than in the orginal planning assumptions when we bought the aircraft. That, and the fact that the US are migrating to the 64E standard, brings obsolescence management into the equation. As intimated elsewhere, the big carrot to do the deal now is to take advantage of the large bulk purchases by the US Army and get the cabs at the lowest price.

Bigbux,
I find myself agreeing with you over PDS and IOS activities; the supply of spares for Merlin, for example, had resulted in poor availability stats for several users.

Engines
10th Mar 2015, 10:44
A few thoughts that might help the discussion along.

Not all of the changes made to the UK Apache were designed to allow Westlands to 'rip off the MoD'.

The aircraft were bought against a requirement written around 1993, which was focussed almost exclusively on high intensity anti-tank capability in all weathers. The decision to use Westlands as the 'Co-ordinating Design Authority', with McD (later Boeing) as a sub-contractor, was driven by MoD concerns over the ability of a US supplier to meet UK airworthiness certification requirements. Sound familiar at all? The US Government wanted to sell us the aircraft direct via FMS, but the MoD weren't interested for the same reasons as not buying direct from the US manfacturer.

The decision to go via WHL was not, sadly, accompanied by the up front efforts in the MoD needed to allow transfer of US Army data to the UK. (This included just about all flight trials evidence, and much of the data needed for weapons certification - as usual in the States, the Army were the Design Authority, not McD/Boeing). ITARs were a major headache. The UK/US Apache MoU was around two years late, and its absence certainly caused problems (and delays) early on. Some reading this might wonder what the MoD have learned about buying aircraft from the US in the last 30 years.

Some of the changes made to the UK aircraft weren't all bad. The change of engine from T700 to RTM322 was wholly political, and came from outside the MoD (Hesletine at DTI, to be precise). It cost the UK an arm and a leg, but was carried out extremely well by Westlands and Rolls Royce. (The D model Apache's engine control systems had some less than happy aspects, and several US Army aircraft were lost to Nr droop due to engine lag - the 322 integration attracted very favourable comment from US Army pilots). The 322 also gave the UK Apache a useful boost in power hot and high, or so I've been told by those who flew it out in the Stan. However, it did increase empty weight, and moved the CofG further aft - never a good thing.

We also needed a new DAS - the one fitted to the basic D model at the time wasn't very capable at all, and the US Army were not willing to release much information about what was fitted, which made evaluating it a bit tricky. The UK system (HIDAS) was and remains a world class fit, and was subsequently offered (and taken up) as an option for US Apache FMS exports. I understand it has performed extremely well in the Stan, and the technology developed for it was used to make a major DAS upgrade to the Chinook possible at an affordable cost.

The aircraft also needed changes to the comms fit to make it work with the rest of the UK Armed Forces, especially Bowman. Other changes, such as addition of windscreen wipers and washers, and more recently flotation gear, were certainly not 'excuses for WHL to make money'.

We also went for a new rocket system, and the CRV-7 is way more capable (and a whole lot safer) than the US system. Again, AW did a good job in getting it on and cleared.

I would offer the opinion that AW's technical expertise in system and weapons integration (fairly important on Apache), as well as DAS is very good indeed, backed up by a top rate team in the UK at Selex. It's easy to barrack UK companies - I'd just suggest that buying direct from Uncle Sam isn't always the bargain, or panacea, some people think it is.

Some changes weren't so sensible. Some of the offsets mandated by the Government added cost for little reward. Examples of these were the composite stabilator, and UK built (or assembled) components like the stub wings. The late addition of a PFI training system didn't come cheap either.

But the fact is that any large defence procurement (and this was a very big one at the time) will have political aspects. The challenge for the MoD was, and remains, having the technical 'nous' to understand where excessive risk is being introduced as a result of politics, and the commercial nous to get the product at a fair price. I've worked extensively with both AW and Boeing, and I have to say that I've seen examples of truly amazingly high pricing and very 'sharp' behaviour from both, as well as very good behaviours. I've also seen some fairly average performance from the MoD.

Going forward, I'd suggest that those who are pushing for an FMS buy from the US Army need to make sure that all those pesky 'Lines of Development' issues are cleared away. Plus plans to address all those ratty safety and certification aspects that MAA have put in place - what 'worked' for Airseeker might not work for an Apache. Oh, and there will need to be a good plan for putting in those UK specific bits that the US Army might not be able to do (DAS and comms might be examples). Plus a UK based support system, training, Uk publications, etc., etc.

I suppose what i'm trying to point out is that buying highly complex weapons systems from a foreign country (and the US IS a foreign country) isn't all plain sailing. AW aren't all bad. Nor are Boeing. Nor are the MoD. But what is certain is that the process is complex and risky, whatever course is chosen.

Best Regards as ever to those having to make the big calls in Whitehall,

Engines

BossEyed
10th Mar 2015, 13:57
Engines: :D Excellent post, as ever.

But... Use of facts and reasoned discussion in a PPRuNe post? Buying off-the-shelf from Uncle Sam isn't automatically the answer to a maiden's prayer?

Is the world about to end?

and moved the CofG further aft - never a good thing.

For that reason, some said that "CPG" in the WAH-64 should stand for "CorPulent Gunner". One way to balance out the longitudinal CG.

t43562
10th Mar 2015, 14:08
Jobs in the military itself seem by far more unproductive to me as a civilian than extra jobs at a helicopter maker. I have to assume that they represent some sort of potential use or value. Why wouldn't skills and capabilties in defense-related production be the same?

Pontius Navigator
10th Mar 2015, 14:34
t43562, I wonder if I am alone in not understanding your post.

Bigbux
10th Mar 2015, 22:16
Westlands at Yeovil have never themselves taken any helicopter through from initial design to production.
N.B. the Lynx was initially a Hayes ( i.e. ex. Fairey Helicopters ) design.

Haraka

Precisely - hardly a strong case to base a claim of "strategic capability" on. It's not as if helicopters aren't repaired and serviced elsewhere in the UK - though at the time of the IOS contracts that is exactly what the Treasury was told.

Bigbux
10th Mar 2015, 22:32
Not all of the changes made to the UK Apache were designed to allow Westlands to 'rip off the MoD'

Engines - quite true. However, I still can't fathom why the MoD allowed Westlands to have exclusive rights to provide all the lubricants - even at detached sites, despite having no deployed logistics capability.

Sounds innocuous? On its own perhaps - but we pre-paid for all planned engine overhauls. So what? Our pre-payments were rendered null and void if we used our own lubricants.

How many copies of the Westland contract were distributed to REME/AAC on deployment?

Only a complete sucker of a customer would let that pass and only an arrogant, predatory, short-termist supplier would put it in a contract.

t43562
10th Mar 2015, 22:46
Sorry, PN, I tried to say it in one short line which failed.

What I mean is that the military, when it's not fighting, is a waste of money in a sense but we pay for it because we might need it and it has a deterrent effect.

Isn't the ability to produce and maintain weapons also a necessary part of warfare? Why would we not be prepared to "waste" some money on it in the same way - because we might need it, because when other people know we can come up with improvements, can maintain our equipment and invent new things then they will be less certain of the limits on our ability.

tucumseh
11th Mar 2015, 17:18
Excellent Engines, as usual.

A little tale that reveals much. As a programme, Apache was being ramped up at much the same time as the follow-on Chinook Mk2 buy was being split into Mk2 and Mk3.

Both were resourced by our 2 Star (same one as Nimrod 2000/2010/RMPA/MRA4) as a simple build to print job. Apache, for example, had no avionic specialists whatsoever in the small project team. (MGO on the other hand resourced it with 70+ ILS staff).

Essentially, the US offered a build standard that included old 2nd hand kit they were replacing, and MoD blindly accepted (what UK call the Appendix A to the aircraft spec) because the PT had no-one to scrutinise it properly. That happened some way into contract negotiations, when a programme manager in another part of DHP pointed out that some of the comms system was obsolete (not just obsolescent) and the RN had the same kit under a "repair by cannibalisation" maintenance policy since the early 80s. Worse, and illustrating the "stovepiping" within the Directorate, never mind across Directorates and Services, DHP were actively replacing it in those RN aircraft. There is something VERY wrong in Main Building if, at the same time, one Service is replacing an obsolete kit and another is buying it for the first time. If they REALLY wanted it for Apache, why not just take the RN kit being hooked out of SK?

The 2 Star's immediate reaction was revealing. Apache got a 4 man avionics team, later augmented by a radar specialist. The PM who spotted the con was told he was an "embarrassment to the department" and ordered to find another job outwith Air Systems............

MoD's problems encapsulated in one post! Now, are we confident MoD has progressed to such an extent this could be avoided this time? Take that one simple example. Does DE&S still have anyone who would know the maintenance policy of such a random selection of mostly foreign avionic kit just by looking at the part numbers? None of the necessary skills or experience are required today to gain entry to DE&S.

Lonewolf_50
11th Mar 2015, 18:40
What I mean is that the military, when it's not fighting, is a waste of money in a sense but we pay for it because we might need it and it has a deterrent effect.
So it's not a waste of money.
One way to look at your military capability is as a whole life insurance policy.
Term is cheaper, but expires or reduces benefits over time.
Not the best analogy ever, but if what you are staring at is a dollar and sense perspective, that's one way to look at it.
Question:
Why are Apaches so knackered and need replacing so quickly?
Besides the previous answer in terms of how hard they were worked in the 'Stan, if you go back to the original spec, Fulda Gap Tank Warfare requirements driven development, it appears that the US Army bought a 4,000 hour service life originally. (As I have heard it, they didn't expect them to last all that long).
You might say that it wasn't built beefy in the first place.
Why later editions look like they are showing premature wear and tear may be related to the original design.

Engines
11th Mar 2015, 20:54
Bigbux,

Good points, and putting that sort of thing into the contract comes under the heading of the 'sharp' behaviour I've seen from almost all contractors. The MoD fashion for 'all in' support contracts (they even call them 'Integrated' sometimes) has led to some really stupid issues out at the front line.

Issues like the one you quote are usually inserted into the contract by the companies to reduce risk, especially where they are being asked to guarantee a certain level of performance or availability at first line. These risk mitigation measures often get included as part of very complex 'Terms and Conditions' or 'Assumptions' documents within the contract. As Tuc so well points out, the safeguard against this sort of nonsense is close and professional scrutiny of the contract (I think it's a bit like what the financial world call 'due diligence'), especially these bits. And that's where the MoD has had a very big problem for some time.

Apache was presented as an 'off the shelf' buy, and there was a real reluctance at higher management level to listen to the many warnings they were getting about the technical configuration of the Apache, and some of the built in obsolescence Tuc mentions. Not helped by the decision to form a small team (an off the shelf project, see?) from entirely within a Helicopter Directorate, which was, in some key areas, deficient in technical horsepower. Tuc's mentioned one area - I know that the whole area of weapons procurement for the aircraft (a very large project in its own right) was staffed by 0.5 of a CS with absolutely no previous weapons experience.

Going forward, the MoD simply has to rebuild its technical skill set. Getting rid of very good Service personnel has only made the situation worse, and reliance on contractors isn't a long term solution. (Statements of interest - I've been contracting to the MoD for some time, and was involved in the Apache when I was still serving in the RN).

My bottom line - you can complain about the contractors all you like - in my experience on both sides of the fence, the surest way to a good performance from a contractor is a good performance from the procurement team who are charged with managing the project and the contract.

Best Regards to all those having to do it now,

Engines

Heathrow Harry
12th Mar 2015, 14:17
"Going forward, the MoD simply has to rebuild its technical skill set."

tell that to the Chancellor - he's going to spread a lot of pain around the MoD shortly - it won't be just the guys 'n gels in unform who get the shove

Ian Corrigible
11th Jul 2016, 12:10
Now confirmed:

Boeing to boost British Army capability with 50 AH-64E Apache helicopters as UK confirms purchase (http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2016-07-11-Boeing-to-boost-British-Army-capability-with-50-AH-64E-Apache-helicopters-as-UK-confirms-purchase)

IOC set for 2022.

MightyGem
12th Jul 2016, 09:59
Will they be "off the shelf", or modified with UK engines, avionics etc as the first lot were?

PlasticCabDriver
12th Jul 2016, 10:26
Drew Jeacock
Boeing Defence UK

Oh to change just one letter....:E

Ian Corrigible
12th Jul 2016, 12:07
Will they be "off the shelf", or modified with UK engines, avionics etc as the first lot were?
Now that RR has exited (http://www.rolls-royce.com/media/press-releases/yr-2013/02092013-programme-to-turbomeca.aspx) the RTM322 program, the political impetus for another re-engining effort has disappeared...so T700-powered (http://www.geaviation.com/press/military/military_20160711.html).

Davef68
12th Jul 2016, 12:53
And the latest T700s have an improved power output which also negates the advantage using RTM322 gave.

Ian Corrigible
12th May 2017, 14:58
Yesterday's DoD Contracts announcement (https://www.defense.gov/News/Contracts/Contract-View/Article/1180256/) included an order for Boeing for the remanufacture of the AAC's AH Mk1s to AH-64E Apache Guardian standard...but intriguingly the order volume was for only 38 aircraft, vs. the figure of 50 announced last July. A further cut, or will the UK – like the U.S. Army itself – pursue a joint path of remanufactures and new-builds?

(Mesa is currently a quarter of the way through the remanufacture of 634 AH-64Ds to E spec, with a further 56 new-build aircraft also being acquired.)

I/C