PDA

View Full Version : Drinking From An Opened Bottle of Lager

rgbrock1
5th Mar 2015, 17:22
Okay, here's the deal. The Mrs. and I recently went up to Stowe, VT to do some skiing. (Lots and lots of snow there!) While we were there we paid a visit to the von Trapp family resort which also, and conveniently, has a small brewery on the premise. A brewery which produces some very fine Austrian-style lagers, pilsners and ales. Very, very fine indeed.

Anyway, I bought a few "growlers" to take home with me. Each growler hosts 35 oz. of this locally-brewed Nirvana! Anyway, I opened one last night and couldn't quite finish it. Normally I would toss the remainder down the drain the following morning BUT this brew costs $15 per growler and is also just too good to toss down the drain.

I poured one mug of the Trapp Dark Lager and put the remainder, in the bottle of course, back in the fridge. This is what the "growler" looks like. Note the stopper:

http://cdn.beeradvocate.com/im/beers/63797.jpg

So, okay to drink or should I bite the bullet it and toss it?

G-CPTN
5th Mar 2015, 17:25
As long as nobody else has got to it for a swig, I'd say that it's 'good to go' . . .

rgbrock1
5th Mar 2015, 17:31
G-CPTN:

Nope, no one else is authorized to go near my beer stash. Under penalty of....a wuppin'. :}:E

54Phan
5th Mar 2015, 17:48
With a stopper like that, you should be "good to go" to add it to your collection of empties. Celerity of consumption is of the essence, of course :E

MG23
5th Mar 2015, 17:49
Drink a few of the unopened ones first, then you'll no longer worry whether the opened one is safe before you drink it.

rgbrock1
5th Mar 2015, 17:53
MG23:

What a grand suggestion. I just might do that! :}:}:}

Shaggy Sheep Driver
5th Mar 2015, 17:57
I thought this thread was going to be about those fashion victims who think it's smart to drink beer straight out of the bottle, when it's a far better drink when carefully decanted into a glass from which it can be properly appreciated.

Unless of course they're guzzling complete pi55 anyway so the method of drinking it is immaterial (almost certainly the case).

11Fan
5th Mar 2015, 18:07
I thought Rangers bit the necks off.

No wait, I'm confusing it with wild game.

rgbrock1
5th Mar 2015, 18:12
11Fan:

You're confusing Rangers with wild game? WTF? :}:}:}

charliegolf
5th Mar 2015, 18:14
"So I gave him that last bottle aye, that once held bitter ale. And we were singing, hymns and arias...." Answers on a post card.

CG

N707ZS
5th Mar 2015, 18:37
Especially when you are drinking from a growler!!:E

om15
5th Mar 2015, 18:46
Looks like a nice beer, a cross between a dunkel beer and a lager, this is what an enthusiastic drinker posted on their web site -

Served in a willibecker. Pours the color of eggplant with a loose, off-white head. Nose is malty and slightly vinous with a hint of clean yeast. Taste consistent with nose; however, it all comes off a bit dull. Mouthfeel is light-medium in body (but closer to light) with an even carbonation, perhaps a bit assertive, with a kiss of acidity co-mingled. Overall, decent and drinkable but a bit lacking in terms of the fruity character I've come to associate with the style.

That really should be poured into a glass to appreciate, if you are worried that the half open bottle may have become flat, you could open a second bottle and pour both into a suitable tall glass to create a decent head and release the flavours.

tdracer
5th Mar 2015, 18:53
RGB, in contact with oxygen, beer will quickly start to go 'flat'. How quickly that happens is a function of the temperature (colder naturally slows this down) and how much O2 (the less O2 the better). That's why proper home keg taps use CO2 and keep the beer refrigerated.

As long as you put it back in the fridge, it's not unsafe to drink, but it's gone flat it may not taste too good.

BTW, most Growlers I've seen were 64 ounces or 2 liters - which is a lot for a single sitting if it's only me :E. I've sometimes consumed ~half, put the rest in the fridge, and finished off the next day and it was fine.

rgbrock1
5th Mar 2015, 19:01
To set the record straight as it seems I might have misled some to think I would drink such a beer directly from the bottle: oh, hell no! Sacre' Bleu!

The dark lager contained in this bottle, currently sitting in the fridge at home, will most assuredly be poured into a suitable glass. As I do with all beer I drink.

tdracer:

The o2 this bottle "experienced" before I flipped the lid back on and back into the fridge was minimal: 30-45 seconds?

I'm not too concerned with the lager going flat as it was sort of flat to begin with, with minimal carbonation. Although the von Trapp family labels it a "dark lager" it's more like a porter to my taste buds.

All in all extremely drinkable.

fleigle
5th Mar 2015, 19:27
rgbrock1
You claim to have been a Ranger, anybody knows that a Ranger will drink anything, so I think that you are just trying to piss us off 'coz we don't have any of that brew.:hmm::hmm::hmm:
Send a bottle over and all will be forgiven.
:E
Cheers
f

G-CPTN
5th Mar 2015, 19:30
Perhaps you should 'breathe' into the bottle before fixing the cap - ie CO2 replaces O2.

Growler (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer_bottle#Growler).

rgbrock1
5th Mar 2015, 19:33
But Rangers, or former ones anyway, have extremely discerning taste buds when it comes to drinking brew. If you ever have the misfortune of seeing a group of former Rangers gathered together and drinking copious amounts of that grand old American camel piss known as Budweiser (Buttwiper) it's only a feint to throw the observer off. We kick down doors for some good brew. :}:E

PS: If you want some of this same liquid Nirvana courtesy of the von Trapp family, how many miles is it between California and Vermont? :E

fleigle
5th Mar 2015, 19:35
Too many......, plus it is cold over there, and I have Lagunitas IPA :ok::ok::ok:

I agree with your assessment of Bud :yuk::yuk::yuk:
Cheers,
f

G-ALAN
5th Mar 2015, 19:42
I definitely wouldn't worry too much about the safety aspect of consuming a beer that had been opened and refrigerated overnight. It is no different than doing the same with a soft drink. Unfortunately I can't speak for the taste aspect of 24hr old beer as in my house the stuff doesn't normally remain in the bottle long enough to make it back to the fridge before being converted to piss :}

It does look like a nice beer though, would be a terrible shame to waste it.

parabellum
5th Mar 2015, 21:30
This is the bit that bothers me;

I opened one last night and couldn't quite finish it.

Sure you're not ill rgb? ;)

Tankertrashnav
5th Mar 2015, 23:28
I'd never heard of growlers so followed G-CPTN's link - very interesting.

That "flip top" ceramic lid was common in my childhood and reminds me of holidays in Cornwall where the local soft drink was Corona, who sold their products in bottles with that type of top.

fleigle
6th Mar 2015, 01:30
We used to get Fentimans Ginger Beer in 1 gal. "stone" jugs with tops like that.
The Fentiman house was not far from where we lived, now we can get it (in normal glass bottles) hear in California... doesn't taste as good as I remembered though.
:{:{:{
f

Lantern10
6th Mar 2015, 03:23
I wouldn't hesitate to drink it (hic)

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Mar 2015, 04:59
Although the von Trapp family labels it a "dark lager" it's more like a porter to my taste buds.

Dark lager = Bock. Uses bottom fermenting yeast instead of the standard top fermenter used to make a porter.

Drink it, you big soft girl.

probes
6th Mar 2015, 06:30
I was totally confused by the thread title - after all it would be quite complicated to drink from an unopened bottle, even for a Ranger? :E

But if it's re-opened - well, good beer should not be wasted? (what's your favorite glass type, btw?)

Otherwise agree with feigle. :sad:

Pinky the pilot
6th Mar 2015, 06:52
Budweiser?? Tried it once. :yuk:

Like making Love in a canoe.:eek:

As for the Growler; Drink it!:=

Jeez, I thought Rangers were tough barstewards!!:hmm:

probes
6th Mar 2015, 06:58
making Love in a canoe

hmmm... an interesting idea. :8

Krystal n chips
6th Mar 2015, 07:23
"]where the local soft drink was Corona, who sold their products in bottles with that type of top[/I]"

Corona was nationwide, even made it to the steppes and tundra of "The North" as I consumed their products.

Thus, when confronted with a "Grolsch" bottle for the first time, there was no delay in opening...or drinking, the contents.....fully.

ShyTorque
6th Mar 2015, 07:54
JENKINS
Aztec, Glasgow, two Scottish footballers to Scotland from EMA for a World Cup Event 1980's, Half Empty Lager Bottle, I drank. Silly boy.

One of the few ways to take the p**s out of a Scotsman in a confined space and get away with your life!
------------

Ah, Grolsch! Many years ago one noticed that one could buy a crate of Grolsch in Germany, drink the contents, bring the empties back to England and make an overall profit from the return deposit. A pub landlord not far from a certain helicopter base soon found his back yard piled high with crates of empties!

ExXB
6th Mar 2015, 08:29
Glass? it comes in a glass, why do you need another? (Don't tell Bob and Doug!)

Pinky the pilot
6th Mar 2015, 08:44
BTW rgbrock1; May one enquire as to why you are drinking beer (cold, one assumes:}) when you are still residing in a 'Winter wonderland!':D

Would not a favourite of the most respected con-pilot, ie one or more single malts, be more preferable?:confused:

Or don't Rangers ex or otherwise, drink the drink that I once heard a Glaswegian* refer to as "Nectar of the Gods!':ooh::ok:

* That was when he was sober. After about half the bottle had gone no-one could even understand a single word he said!:uhoh:

Tankertrashnav
6th Mar 2015, 09:05
Corona was nationwide, even made it to the steppes and tundra of "The North" as I consumed their products.

Aah - didnt realise that, K & C. As a kid my world consisted of Scotland, where I lived, and Cornwall for a fortnight's holiday at my sister's house each year. We didnt get Corona in Scotland (Barrs Irn Bru had the market stitched up there!) so for me Corona and Cornwall went together.

AtomKraft
6th Mar 2015, 09:08
Sheesh.

If you open a beer, drink a beer.

If you can't, don't.

Takan Inchovit
6th Mar 2015, 09:19
If there are any cigarette butts in it, check if they are still floating. If any have sunk, steer clear.

scotbill
6th Mar 2015, 10:18
Reference the fashion for drinking from the bottle, it is one of the commonest chronological errors in (relatively) period films/TV dramas. Directors do not seem to realise what a recent phenomenon it is.

UniFoxOs
6th Mar 2015, 10:39
Ah, Grolsch! Many years ago one noticed that one could buy a crate of Grolsch in Germany, drink the contents, bring the empties back to England and make an overall profit from the return deposit. A pub landlord not far from a certain helicopter base soon found his back yard piled high with crates of empties!

Yes, great times, nephew was in the RAF in Germany, amazing how much of the stuff they could get in a plane when coming home on leave. I didn't cash in the last 40 or 50 bottles and kept them for putting my own home-brewed beer in. When I finally gave that up I sold the used bottles to another home brewer on fleabay for an even greater profit!

Reference the fashion for drinking from the bottle

Went into a pub some years ago and there were a few blokes doing this. My mate (lying) casually remarked to me about the large dog that was pissing on the beer crates in tha pub back yard, whereupon several blokes rushed to the bar to ask for a glass!

Keef
6th Mar 2015, 11:12
I read the thread title and thought (as I'm sure did many others):
It would be very hard to drink from an unopened one.

chuks
6th Mar 2015, 11:32
Indeed. Are we pedants, or what?

MagnusP
6th Mar 2015, 11:41
Oh, does it come in bottles? I just have my staff bring it in an appropriately-chilled Edinburgh Crystal glass. Still, I suppose the lower orders have their own quaint little ways.

I have finished off my late-night tinny next day with lunch, I admit. From the tinny. <hic>

rgbrock1
6th Mar 2015, 12:32
Okay, the deed has been done and I drank the nectar of the von Trapps last night, from the refrigerated bottle in the fridge: no discernible difference at all. Even the sudsy head was, well, sudsy!

As for drinking beer in a "winter wonderland": I wasn't aware that there are seasons appropriate to drinking beer? For me, it's a four season thing. I blame the Germans for it.

probes:

Rangers bite the neck off the bottle if it can't be opened in a normal manner. I thought you knew that? :}

The unfortunate aspect of drinking the previously opened half-growler of said nectar is now I have none left. No more nectar of von Trapp. It makes me want to cry. Or at least fry ants with my magnifying glass.

MagnusP
6th Mar 2015, 13:35
Rangers bite the neck off the bottle if it can't be opened in a normal manner.

Pah! 45 Commando open their beer bottles using someone else's teeth.

fleigle
6th Mar 2015, 13:39
Mmmm, fried ants for brekkies....:E:E
f

rgbrock1
6th Mar 2015, 14:02
What's wrong with fried ants? They taste quite good if cooked properly :}

Four-five commando, Magnus? Marines nevertheless. Wannabe's. :}:E

fleigle
6th Mar 2015, 14:06
To fry ants just right you have to be very quick, otherwise they get over-done and too crispy.
:ok:
f

Octane
6th Mar 2015, 14:17
Quite often I'll decide it's time to hit the sack and I'll put a half drunk bottle in the fridge. But as punishment, I'll always polish it off the next day. Surprisingly, it's never flat...
So, give it a go!

rgbrock1
6th Mar 2015, 14:23
fleigle:

Cicadas on pizza are excellent tasting as well. Yum, yum. :ok:

probes
6th Mar 2015, 14:46
Rangers bite the neck off the bottle if it can't be opened in a normal manner.
:) - well, me being a woman of words, I mis-focused on the wrong aspect of the 'opened bottle'. If it had been 'bitten bottle', then, yes... :E
Ach, what a pity Slash isn't around, he'd create a tongue twister in a split second, something like Betty Batter brought a bitten bottle... or something. :sad:

As for bugs - save the planet!
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT51ic-UtmqnLsOPOz_aH4GhUKahBt3po7VyMHkJ6jQIc62UhcSBQ

rgbrock1
6th Mar 2015, 14:54
Too true, probes. Save the planet: eat bugs. :ok:

http://cdn.citylab.com/media/img/citylab/2014/03/12/eatinginsectsmain/lead_large.jpg

probes
6th Mar 2015, 17:32
well, that's a tongue twister, too, of course - of sorts... :\