PDA

View Full Version : GB Airways Manchester base?

WaspsNest002P
6th Jun 2002, 22:57
There has been much talk of late (in the Wasp's Nest) that GB is considering a Manchester base. Rumours abound from groundstaff & airborne alike, and include;

"3 routes",
"GIB, Malaga & Faro",
"737's to operate them"
"starting winter 2002"
"starting summer 2003"

Anyone care to expand? :confused:

Wasps Nest002P - you ain't seen me, right? :cool:

Hand Solo
9th Jun 2002, 14:03
I'm sure the BA branch of BALPA would take a keen interest in that, coming so closely on the closure of the 4x737 base at MAN, crewed by pilots operating to the BAR scheduling agreement, an agreement that would make your eyes water. If there are opportunities for a 3 aircraft, BA branded operation from MAN to those destinations it should be flown be BAR pilots, who could crew it as cheaply, if not cheaper than GB crews.

Wycombe
10th Jun 2002, 11:50
....didn't BRAL operate MAN-GIB, for GB (with 146, I think) a couple of years ago?

Jinkster
17th Jun 2002, 16:32
I do recall an airline flying into Gibraltar from Manchester a few years ago.

I know they did in the eighties - Air Europe I think it was.

;)

Wycombe
18th Jun 2002, 12:23
..yes, I think AE used to do a "W" on some of their GIB flights in the Eighties (I was in GIB in '85 and they were doing it then) LGW-GIB-MAN-GIB-LGW.

At that time, BY also operated an MoD charter from LTN (once a week I think)

BA operated the schedule from LGW also....this was before the days of the GB franchise.

fiftyfour
19th Jun 2002, 08:50
GB used to fly to MAN GIB twice a week in their own aircraft until about 5 years ago. The route profits were marginal, so they sub- contracted BA Regional to fly it for them in a 146 already based there. Turned out to be a commercial mistake, because GB then lost money on the deal, and therefore after one season ended up closing the route. Part of the problem was that the distance was often too much for the 146, and tech stops and diversions were commomplace. By closing the route, the theory was that more money could be made flying pax GIB to LGW, and then passing them onto BA for the LGW MAN sector.
GB also had a charter base at MAN at the time. Pilots and Pursers came from LGW for a week at a time, but other cabin crew were locally based. The base was closed when GB used the aircraft (B737) to help Easyjet get started on LTN EDI GLA, before Easyjet had their own AOC.
My guess is that GB will start again at MAN, because expansion at LGW is heavily slot constrained. The aircraft will be for charters, and it will be one or two Airbus.

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
19th Jun 2002, 11:05
I thought the original easyJet 737's were operated on the Air Foyle AOC?

MaxAOB
26th Jun 2002, 01:57
Not a hope in hell methinks. LHR base barely feasible!

MaxAOB
26th Jun 2002, 01:59
then again 2 x 330 to the carribean?