PDA

View Full Version : ants on the warpath - NOT

rans6andrew
4th Mar 2015, 14:56
several times since the new year we have found ants in our kitchen. Not millions at a time but enough to be a nuisance. The problem is that they never seem to be on the warpath, ie they never seem to be organised into a stream bearing food back to their nest. They just seem to mill around, a few here and a few there. They get onto the cooker while it is cold, up onto the worktops etc. We have not been able to work out if they are coming in from outside or nesting inside the house. The issue usually gets dealt with by a scattering of ant killer powder around the corners of the floor, down the side of the fridge, under the cooker etc.

This deals with the issue for a week or two but then they come back.

Is there a better or more permanent way to deal with them?

Rans6.........

Stanwell
4th Mar 2015, 15:10
Not really, for those kind of ants, just keep using the powder.
I say this as a former pest controller - which reminds me of a joke...

Picture a kitchen, with the guy from Acme Pest Control down on his knees, with the ants all lined up in ranks of three in front of him.
He's looking up at the missus of the house, saying "Look lady, we just control 'em, we don't kill 'em."

Argonautical
4th Mar 2015, 15:31
Try Nippon, it comes in a tube. Squeeze a bit of it where they will crawl over it and then they take it back to the nest.

rgbrock1
4th Mar 2015, 15:43
This method of spider disposal is just as applicable to ant disposal.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.608029758848501060&pid=15.1&P=0

Stanwell
4th Mar 2015, 15:59
Argo,
That method usually only works with species that mutually groom.
I must say I'm not sure which ones you're dealing with over there.
Local knowledge is, of course, the key.

G-CPTN
4th Mar 2015, 17:46
I have always found Nippon liquid to be the only successful method.

The 'workers' feed up on it and take it back to their nest where it is shared by the rest of the clan.

thing
4th Mar 2015, 21:05
Typically thing useless piece of info: all of the ants in the world weigh more than all of the humans. Don't know if they counted Americans in the weighing bit.

parabellum
4th Mar 2015, 21:28
The Pest Control chappie that I used when I lived in Bahrain told me that, generally, when you find ants indoors they are 'failed ants' unless they have a food source, but just aimlessly wandering around suggests they have lost their way! :)

The other thing the Pest Controller said was that, ideally, you get the ants to carry the poison back to the nest where, with any luck, it will kill the queen ant and once that happens it is game over, just repeating what he told me, have no evidence either way.

G-CPTN
4th Mar 2015, 21:42
Indeed, unless you can kill the queen you are wasting your time and effort.

Before I discovered Nippon I tried all sorts of attacks with boiling water and pouring petrol down the nest holes (outdoors) then igniting it - none of which worked.

Feed them Nippon until they stop coming - job done!

Loose rivets
4th Mar 2015, 22:07
I'd forgotten about ants. You don't know about ants until you've lived in south Texas. Leaf blower. Get down to working on car. Five minutes - leaf blower. 'Sorrrreeeee ants. See you when you come back.'

Anyone see that program where they poured special brew concrete into a nest. It was underground, and when the mix set, they excavated the site. 40' X 40' X 15'. The tunnels were 4" diameter or so and constructed with bulges that helped with the air-con. Totally astonishing.

One quite like the mild-mannered ones, but fire ants, that's another issue as was the woodcutter and carpenter ants. They had to go. Follow their trail at night, sometimes 50 yards, and then find a fine tree totally naked. Millions and millions of the little sods all carrying a hunk of leaf. Meet neighbor coming the other way with a lantern and his bottle of Death to Ants mix. Could meet a lot of friends like that.

G-CPTN
4th Mar 2015, 22:16
lFg21x2sj-M

onetrack
4th Mar 2015, 23:07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI

AtomKraft
5th Mar 2015, 03:21
Well, I bet that ally casting gets rid of the ones from that colony quite painlessly.......at least for the chap pouring the metal.

MagnusP
5th Mar 2015, 09:26
We get a few in the house, as I think there's a nest in the sand base under the patio. I spray an ant killer around the bottom of the doors, over air bricks &c., and that seems to stop then for a few months.

Pinky the pilot
5th Mar 2015, 09:43
Had a really bad ant problem out the back of the Ptp household.:ugh:

The lady once known as Mrs Pinky supplied and applied a spray she obtained from her place of employment.:uhoh: (A local Vineyard)

No more ants!:ooh:

rgbrock1
5th Mar 2015, 11:54
G-CPTN wrote:

Before I discovered Nippon I tried all sorts of attacks with boiling water and pouring petrol down the nest holes (outdoors) then igniting it - none of which worked.

My kinda guy! Brings new meaning to "fire in the hole." :ok: You should have used a small, tactical nuclear explosive device. Works wonders. :}