PDA

View Full Version : Prince William condemns Ivory Trade

Fareastdriver
4th Mar 2015, 14:37
BBC News - Prince William condemns illegal wildlife trade on China visit (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31725743)

Despite the attempts by the BBC to draw his attention to the performing elephants nearbye the Prince had a meaningfull visit to the rescued elephants in the SW of China. He yet again reiterated the dire situation that elephants were getting into because of the demand for Ivory. As China is the largest recipiant of smuggled ivory this was aiming at the heart of the problem.

Meanwhile, over in Africa.

BBC News - Kenyan ivory burnt by President Uhuru Kenyatta (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-31716134)

That ivory will be missed; sorely missed so it is going to have to be replaced. That means that hundreds of elephants are going to die replacing it. That it not the first time there have been enormous bonfires of ivory. They are common in Kenya and Tanzania every few years. Were those tusks obtained legally with a licencing system then the ivory market would be satisfied and the elephant population could be controlled humanely.

Instead we have a system led by do-gooders who, for no other reason, were against a centuries old trade. There wasn't a problem with elephants before they started. In fact they were a nuisance and had to be culled because of the damage they were causing having overpopulated and overeaten their natural habitat.

Indian elephants have suffered owing to mechanisation of their industry so there is not the interest in preserving them. This causes them to die off. An example was in Borneo where the logging elephants released by the Japanese went wild in the jungle and there are few, if any, left.

There ought to be a realisation that this ivory ban is causing inhuman suffering and butchery trying to prevent a supply for which there will always be a demand and there will always be people prepared, whatever the cost, to satisfy it. It would be far better to control the trade and not have this pantomime of tusk burning.

Lonewolf_50
4th Mar 2015, 16:04
It would be far better to control the trade and not have this pantomime of tusk burning.
Indeed. If one trims the tusks, won't the tusk eventually grow back?

Whoa, a sustainable resource if the elephant is kept alive!
What a concept: a legitimate Ivory Market.

Fareastdriver
4th Mar 2015, 19:23
and the proceeds paid into the Kenyan public purse.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Lonewolf_50
4th Mar 2015, 21:57
Burning confiscated ivory is just as stupid as Prince Williamís announcement that he wants the royal familyís ivory to be destroyed.
Gruadian has wee ivory panic. (http://www.theguardian.com/environment/africa-wild/2014/feb/19/royal-ivory-prince-william-destruction)

If the stuff is no longer attached to the elephant then it should be sold and the proceeds paid into the Kenyan public purse.
Sold at auction.
On the other hand, I suspect that a few fingers will get on any such funds and shrink them before public purse receives any coin.
Cynical Old Me ...

Private jet
4th Mar 2015, 23:57
I doubt he's as friendly as his media image would suggest...

Tankertrashnav
5th Mar 2015, 00:34
I was totally unimpressed by those journos who were trying to make a big deal about the performing elephants at the place HRH was visiting.

Seems to be what the elephants were being asked to do was no more than what we see in the dressage ring when horses are put through similarly unnatural movements. Or was it a little bit of racism, whereby its ok for us to do this to horses, but not for the Chinese to do it to elephants?

Flying Lawyer
5th Mar 2015, 00:46
Prince William’s announcement that he wants the royal family’s ivory to be destroyed.

He allegedly made some comment along those lines in a private conversation.
If he did, he hasn't repeated it publicly.

Demand fuels this vile trade and, until demand for ivory is reduced, the slaughter of elephants will continue.
Reducing demand in China, where possession of ivory is a symbol of wealth, is key to the future of Africa’s elephants. There are indications that the Chinese are slowly becoming more aware that the ivory they buy comes from slaughtered elephants not, as still commonly believed, from elephants who have died naturally.
At the moment, burgeoning demand is pushing prices even higher. Only time will tell if the growing number of 'new rich' in China will increase demand even further or whether they can be educated to care about the horrific slaughter of about 30,000 elephants each year.

Private jet
I doubt he's as friendly as his media image would suggest...

I've never met him but those who have, including those who served with him in the RAF, say he is.

Private jet
5th Mar 2015, 00:58
I've never met him but those who have, including those who served with him in the RAF, say he is.

Possibly so. I do understand what the "meedja" can be like. However I've never met him either, and until I do I'll err on the side of caution, and not accept any second hand recommendations sorry.

Fareastdriver
5th Mar 2015, 11:33
Only time will tell if the growing number of 'new rich' in China will increase demand even furthe

My experience over a decade working in China is that there is not an excessive demand. The interest is in antique ivory in much the same way as antique porcelain. The industry, established for two thousand years is still functioning and the escalation in prices was caused by the lack of supply owing to the ivory ban.

The new Chinese don't have mantlepieces to put ornaments on. In a standard new build apartment display cabinets are of little or no interest; they get in the way of the 52" TV. Go into a mega shopping mall and you will find little in the way or home decoration; apart from sticking a few pictures on the wall they are just not interested.

At the moment enough ivory to supply the market is regularly burnt; similar to suger being burned in the UK during the 1940s to preserve the sugar ration. The 30,000 a year is a grotesque exaggeration, that's 164 tusks a day. There aren't enough ivory carvers in China to get through that.

Properly licenced with the source being young or middle aged males who have been driven out from the herd would be enough to supply the trade and protect the elephants themselves.

Curious Pax
5th Mar 2015, 15:06
My teenage son went on a school trip to China last year. As part of the sightseeing they were taken to Beijing zoo - he was shocked at how old fashioned it was, and although he got to see pandas as a result, he was very uncomfortable with the obvious mental distress they were suffering. Although there is a valid argument against zoos per se, at least the modern ones in the Uk and Netherlands that I've visited seem to manage to keep their animals in more tolerable conditions.

Fareastdriver
5th Mar 2015, 15:21
The Chinese are severly lacking in animal husbandry. One only has to see the overgrown hooves of horses pulling carriages at theme parks. Chinese abbatoirs are not nice places to go to though the government has started a drive to improve them. There're own pets are pampered and cossetted, other people's pets are a damned nuisance. You cannot blame them for the inhuman slaughter of elephants; how it dies is not their concern.