PDA

View Full Version : Self-preparation

FADEC89
2nd Mar 2015, 22:06
Hello everyone! I'm going to become a pilot as soon as possible, but I have to solve some financial issues, because the training is quite expensive. So I have an opportunity to study some things independently by books. I have basic knowledge in aviation. I fly on fly simulator with realistic models and I'm familiar with various airplane's systems. I've been learning it from the docs I got with models, but I have a big knowledge gap in basic things, that people study through the PPL course. Yeah, I know how to operate Boeing 737, 777 and A320 in simulator, I know normal and abnormal procedures but it's nothing without the knowledge of aerodynamics, meteorology and many more. So I would like to ask professional pilots about resources for self-training (for EU). Maybe some good or "must read" books. Thanks:)

AerocatS2A
3rd Mar 2015, 03:26
What is your plan for training? Unless you're going to be doing some kind of multi-crew course where you are operating jets right from the start I would forget learning anything about B737s and similar and get your head into the very basics of how to fly a single piston-engined trainer like a C152. The bigger aircraft will come later. If you were setting about learning to drive a car you wouldn't read up on busses and Mack trucks would you?

Edited to add: Even if you are going to be doing a multi-crew licence I'd still be very wary about getting too far ahead learning operating procedures on your own. It is far easier to learn from a blank slate than to try and unlearn a heap of self-taught stuff.

FADEC89
3rd Mar 2015, 04:36
Yes, you are right:) I must learn the basics of aviation first. As for my plans for the future... I'm thinking about a loan or finding some airlines' Cadet Programs. So there were circumstances that I haven't got enough money for flight training now. Thank you for your reply:) I spend too much time on things that I should learn much later...