PDA

View Full Version : Fifty-Eight years ago today

solotk
6th Jun 2002, 19:34
Some very brave young men, embarked on a "great crusade" to enable us to have the freedom of speech, we take for granted today, including my father.

I haven't seen much in the press about it,being overshadowed by the Jubilee and all, but I thought I'd mention it.....

Sorry if it's a non-military aircrew posting,but in this case , I really don't care :D

.and to all those involved, and who continue to be involved, in preserving our nations security, and freedoms of speech, I for one, thank you

Tony :D

BOAC
6th Jun 2002, 21:20
SECONDED!

doubledolphins
6th Jun 2002, 21:59
Hear Hear! Funny thing is, I think the Met for the last two days has been much as it was then.

fobotcso
6th Jun 2002, 22:07
I shall stand on Omaha Beach on Wednsday, a day or two late, but I know I shall be full of thoughts about what went on during those days.

Thanks for bringing it to the fore.

bootscooter
6th Jun 2002, 22:30
Complete respect for all involved. And gratitude.

(Had to send this one to the top again)

SET 18
6th Jun 2002, 22:56
A couple of Alberts (trusty steeds) went over there this am (very early) and did a drop to a watching multitude of people.

At least this shows that the RAF didn't forget about it completely...

PlasticCabDriver
6th Jun 2002, 23:39
Date didn't ring a bell until I read this thread.
How easily we forget.
(Hangs head in shame)

Man-on-the-fence
7th Jun 2002, 08:36
They are never far from my thoughts.

When you think about what they achieved and then about all the fuss about 22 men and a pigs bladder today it makes me wonder if we really care.

Wee Jock
7th Jun 2002, 09:16
My Father-in-Law was one of these brave men, he landed on Sword beach with the Royal Marines (he was Royal Signals attached) and later he got to help liberate some concentration camps. He was one of the best men I've ever met, and he was my hero. We're very proud to have his cap badge and medals.

spectre150
7th Jun 2002, 09:43
Err, hang on MOTF. Just because I, like many other patriotic servants of the Crown, are absorbed by the World Cup (well I will be between 1230 and 1400 today!) does not mean we do not care about events on and after 6 Jun 44. Yes, the bravery and heroism of those guys puts a game of football 58 years later in perspective but please don't suggest that I don't care!

yours mildly flashingly

etc

Man-on-the-fence
7th Jun 2002, 10:30
Spectre

Apologies, not having a go at the viewers, my comments were aimed more at Her Majestys Press and the Politicos who completely ignored the date and significance.

Got to go, I think I'm coming down with something, I think I need to lay down on my sofa for a bit....is there anything on the Telly??:D :D