PDA

View Full Version : RAF KHORMAKSAR

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

waroczewski
2nd Mar 2015, 14:29
Can any ex-professional help me with information on the SAR service at Khormaksar 1964-66. Specifically how many and what type of helicopters they flew. Was it a Squadron or a Flight and if so was it numbered.

I know it was a very busy place but were the SAR crews as busy as the rest and were they mainly involved with rescues on land or at sea?

Many thanks

Davef68
2nd Mar 2015, 19:50
Some info here:

RAF Khormaksar (http://www.radfanhunters.co.uk/khormaksar.htm)

At that time it would be Whirlwind 10s

Herod
2nd Mar 2015, 19:52
I have contact with a pilot who was on the flight in '67, if that's any help. PM me with your email address and I'll contact him for you. BTW, in '67 if was the Wessex 2.

pr00ne
2nd Mar 2015, 21:22
I thought RAF Khormaksar closed for good in 1967 as part of the withdrawal from Aden?

Shack37
2nd Mar 2015, 21:32
I thought RAF Khormaksar closed for good in 1967 as part of the withdrawal
from Aden?

It was very late in 1967. I left in October. I think the RM switched the lights out in November.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Mar 2015, 21:37
One reasonably regular task for the Whirlwinds when I was there in 1966 was to provide transport for a small section of RAF Regiment who would be put down beside the road, usually between the causeway and Sheikh Othman where they would carry out an impromptu roadblock, to search cars and occupants for arms and explosives. I went on a few of these and never found anything. Since we did not have any female assistance we were obviously unable to search any women in the cars we stopped and as they were often in the head to toe burkha, who knows what might have slipped through?

Incidentally Shack 37 I was there on 37 (Field) Squadron, RAF Regiment, which led to some confusion with two squadrons of the same name on the base!

oldpax
2nd Mar 2015, 23:09
I left in October 63 and SAR was a Dragonfly.

waroczewski
3rd Mar 2015, 09:36
Many thanks to all who have responded. My email address is on its way to you Herod.

Shack37
3rd Mar 2015, 10:00
Incidentally Shack 37 I was there on 37 (Field) Squadron, RAF Regiment, which led to some confusion with two squadrons of the same name on the base!

As long as we knew the difference;)

Tankertrashnav
3rd Mar 2015, 10:06
Well, one squadron was tasked with carrying out long, tedious and usually uneventful patrols using pretty antique equipment.

And so was the other one ;)

teeteringhead
3rd Mar 2015, 10:55
More likely to have been a Wessex surely TTN? The Whirlwind was a non-tactical bright yellow and couldn't lift much in those Density Altitudes - probably not a "stick of Rocks"

According to Halley (The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force), 78 Sqn re-equipped with Wessex in June '65, and left for Sharjah (via Fearless or Intrepid?) in October '67.

There were Whirlwinds there for SAR duty - from '64 when they replaced the Sycamores (who'd been there since '55) - haven't quite been able to find out when they left. Not being a Sqn but an (apparently unnumbered) Independant Flight, their history is trickier to track down!

Watch this space.

Found it!

Sycamores were replaced by Whirlwind Mk 10s over the period January to July '64. They provided SAR until June '67 when the flight was disbanded. SAR was taken over by 78 Sqn, but some Wessex (2? 3? 4?) went to Muharraq to become part of the ComSAR Flight there. The (originally 4) late tranche Wessex buy for SAR were XT 601-604; yellow painted, they arrived in Khormaksar in boxes and were assembled there. XT 603 was one of the frames sold to Uruguayan (sp?) Navy in 1998. Currently believed to be "in storage", but not operational! (for the Eagle-eyed, yes I know that's XR 505 in the picture! - a much earlier frame, the 9th one delivered in 1963. That said, 505 was still operating in 2010 :eek:, believed to be the last operational Wessex in the world :()

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Westland_Wessex_of_Uruguayan_Naval_Aviation.jpg/800px-Westland_Wessex_of_Uruguayan_Naval_Aviation.jpg

Old-Duffer
3rd Mar 2015, 11:50
A former chief instructor at Shawbury of my acquaintance was posted from the Tern hill course to the SAR Flight at 'Big K'. He flew Sycamores and then converted to the Whirlwind 10, before returning to Tern hill to do his QHI course. After that, he had a mix of QHI jobs, French Test Pilots' school, air attache duties, staff tours and CI as mentioned above.

On retirement and despite an impressive logbook, he never served on a numbered squadron: now that must be pretty rare for an airframe driver.

O-D

teeteringhead
3rd Mar 2015, 12:50
A former chief instructor at Shawbury of my acquaintance And also of mine O-D. His curious career had other effects too.

As CFI (Wg Cdr) he was debriefing one of his Sqn Ldrs (not me!) on his 1369 (Annual Confidential Report).

"This is difficult for me", he said, "it's the first one of these I've ever had to write!" :eek::eek:

Another triumph for the Air Secretary's Department .... :ugh:

Fareastdriver
3rd Mar 2015, 15:00
May be 505, may not be. Try Google Earth 34°50’38.80”S 56°01’13.64”W.

teeteringhead
3rd Mar 2015, 15:14
Thanks Fareastdriver - will try that one later! :ok:

Tankertrashnav
3rd Mar 2015, 15:46
TTH - you may be right, it is 49 years ago, after all ( :( ) I just remembered it as a Whirlwind. We weren't bothered about not being seen - difficult to miss a helicopter dropping down at the side of the road no matter what the colour. There would have been about half a dozen of us which maybe would have been a struggle for a Whirlwind operating in the high 30sC. Whirlwind or Wessex, it broke up the monotony of endless Land Rover patrol arounds the perimeter anyway.

Shack37
3rd Mar 2015, 15:59
Well, one squadron was tasked with carrying out long, tedious and usually
uneventful patrols using pretty antique equipment.

And so was the other one ;)

One had Michelin *** self catering capability;)

Shack37
3rd Mar 2015, 16:07
Some more info here.

Khormaksar rundown and withdrawal plans (http://www.radfanhunters.co.uk/Khormaksar%20Rundown%20-%201967.htm)

zetec2
3rd Mar 2015, 20:28
Old Pax, I was there early 62 - mid 64 and the SAR flight had Sycamores, NOT Dragonflys, the Whirlwind Mk 10 then arrived late 63, but definitely not any Dragonfly's on the island. PH.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Mar 2015, 22:28
One had Michelin *** self catering capability

OK, I give up - you've got me there!

Party Animal
4th Mar 2015, 02:04
Tanker,

I assume Shacks is referring to the galley on board the aircraft along with crew culinary skills.

teeteringhead
4th Mar 2015, 09:36
Old Pax, I was there early 62 - mid 64 and the SAR flight had Sycamores, NOT Dragonflys, the Whirlwind Mk 10 then arrived late 63, but definitely not any Dragonfly's on the island. Dragonflies replaced by Sycamores in 1955 according to most sources.

Shack37
4th Mar 2015, 10:52
Tanker,
I assume Shacks is referring to the galley on board the aircraft
along with crew culinary skills.

Hammer, nail, head:ok:

Union Jack
4th Mar 2015, 14:46
Well, one squadron was tasked with carrying out long, tedious and usually uneventful patrols using pretty antique equipment.

And so was the other one....

TTN - Very funny!:ok:

Jack

Tankertrashnav
4th Mar 2015, 14:58
Yes I'd got that about the in flight catering catering. Somewhat better than the soup heater provided for us in the Victor in my later incarnation after leaving the Rockapes. Guaranteed you a tin of luke warm oxtail soup by top of descent after a five hour sortie :*

oldpax
4th Mar 2015, 23:33
Yes of course "Sycamore".Probably said Dragonfly as a result of a visit to Yeovilton not long back!Not long after I arrived in Ksar The SAR flight had to take out the casualty of a shooting accident at Conquest bay ,I remember it hovering over the rocks while a doctor and medic attended the casualty(he died)and then we loaded the body onto a stretcher and put it aboard and away it went!

zetec2
5th Mar 2015, 13:17
Wasn't Dave K**s the pilot ?, who had to go fly around the bay and await the call back as he commented the said aircraft was an ar*e to keep in the hover or nearby and it made his arms ache, whilst medic attended the patient.

Fareastdriver
5th Mar 2015, 14:13
If it was a Sycamore he would have had the engine at or above max continuous in the hover so he probably flew around to protect the engine.

Herod
5th Mar 2015, 14:58
I was at Khormaksar at the same time as 601-4. My logbook shows 02,03 and 04, so I guess the yellow one (if one there was) was XT601.

Cornish Jack
5th Mar 2015, 18:45
S&R started in Khormaksar in '55 - log books are distinctly grotty, after being immersed when the house was destroyed, but may be able to decipher dates if necessary. It was set up with 3 pilots and three 'Siggies' from APCSS/ACS on temporary loan because of a shortage of Navs. We did our winch training on the flight - best described as 'interesting!! We had two commissioned pilots and one Master Pilot - 'Tommy' Tomczak - later name changed to Tommy Pavey. He and I flew several times together - flights which emphasised the complete lack of suitability of the Sycamore for hot clime operation ... 44" of boost ... and going down:ooh: Phil Clay has just reappeared in memory and ??? Bamber? The other volunteer siggies were Brian Fletcher and Geoff Wigley - the latter is the one nearest camera,http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu193/CornishJack/Syc01-1.jpg Brian was on stand down. This piccy was included in a related thread in 2013. Only lasted in role for 3 months then back to the Valettas.
No more S&R until back from Bangkok in '64 (someone has to do the hardship posts:E), when asked If I would like to try 22 Sqdn Whirlies ... and the rest, as they say, is history!!

zetec2
7th Mar 2015, 17:07
Wasn't XT601 a Wessex ? just curious .

Herod
7th Mar 2015, 21:40
XT 601 was certainly a Wessex 2. All four XTs (01,02,03,04) were part of 78 Sqn. This was late '67. I'm just wondering if 601 might have remained in the yellow colours and sited somewhere else on the airfield. I've got a couple of contacts from those dasy who would know. I'll ask around.

parabellum
8th Mar 2015, 01:00
Regarding the hot and high capability of the Whirlwind, in 1969 I flew a civvy WS55 Mk.3, with Gnome engine out of Abu Dhabi to a rig offshore, +30C and more was the 'norm' along with very high humidity, especially during summer. We managed to uplift eight oil rig workers so I would have thought the '10 could have managed a SAR payload in Aden? Stand to be corrected, of course! :)

CoffmanStarter
8th Mar 2015, 09:40
Just helping Dougie M out with a spot of image processing/posting ... I'm sure he'll be along shortly to add his story :ok:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/wessex%2066_zpsaluw0sbw.jpg

Best ...

Coff.

Dougie M
8th Mar 2015, 09:55
Thanks again Coff for your sterling service.
I was at Khormaksar in 1966-67 and the SAR choppers were yellow Wessex flavoured. This pic was taken at an Open Day at the airfield.
Hope it helps with your deliberations.

brakedwell
8th Mar 2015, 10:56
This was taken in April 1958 when visiting KSAR in a Hastings.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Khormaksar%20April%201958_zpsiwyos2qp.jpg

Fareastdriver
8th Mar 2015, 11:08
The Sycanores had a bad time at first in the Far East. Thet had wooden blades and when they caught the de Havilland Mosquito disease they would delaminate.

Not a good thing to happen to a helicopter.

They eventually solved the problem and so they carried on until the mid sixties.

I had a friend who was SAR at El Adem with Sycamores. The pilot would operate the winch via a mirror and the winchman would go down the wire. As there was insufficient power to lift both out of the dinghy then he would send the survivor up first. He would then be winched up unless there was insufficient power or fuel in which case he would be left behind in the dinghy and the Sycamore would take the survivor back and then return for him.

teeteringhead
8th Mar 2015, 11:18
They eventually solved the problem and so they carried on until the mid sixties. Even later than that! The last 2 (?) Sycamores soldiered on on Metropolitan Comms Sqn (which became 32) until 1969/70 at least.

Cornish Jack
8th Mar 2015, 11:49
The pilot would operate the winch via a mirrorFED - IIRC 2 mirrors. Actually, they were (from memory) Hillman Husky hub caps, highly polished and and positioned such that the pilot could see what was going on below the aircraft by looking slightly right. When we started, that 'system' had been discarded and we relied on the winchman using a headset plugged into an auto-feed intercom reel. The junction between headset and intercom was less than 100% watertight and water entry was an ear-splitting experience!!:eek:
Wet winch training was slated for (what turned out to be) our last week as 'fill-ins'. Intention was to winch from a dinghy in the inner harbour. However, on arrival, we could see some local residents - sharks and ray circling - 'jungle' drums having advertised the prospect of a free lunch, maybe, so discretion ... etc.

Fareastdriver
8th Mar 2015, 18:49
I had a refam ride with Digger Barrell at Northolt in 1971. I had forgotten how close the rotor blades pass over the cockpit roof and I found myself ducking at 1 Rrpm.

Ramraider
8th Mar 2015, 22:40
Nothing to do with helicopters but a recent encounter with an eye surgeon and reading this thread brought back a lot of memories of my early career on the Beverleys of 84 squadron in the 59/60 era and a surprising outcome for some ex-military facilities.
I attended the eye clinic to have my cataract assessed and was seen by a consultant who clearly was not of English extraction. In reply to his enquiry as to my former employment I told him I had served in the RAF for 30+ years. 'Had I ever been to Aden?' was his next question and when I answered in the affirmative he told me that he was originally from Aden and, because his father was a civil servant working in the dockyard he had qualified for and been assigned a former Officer's Married Quarter at Khormaksar. He had grown up there so now we know how the quarters were utilised after the British pullout.
I wonder if it was one of those in which we had so many riotous parties in the old days?

RR

teeteringhead
9th Mar 2015, 13:52
I had a [Sycamore] refam ride with Digger Barrell at Northolt in 1971.

Further research indicates a final final OSD for the Sycamore of August '72 :eek:, which was of course from 32 as it was by then (Metropolitan Comm took over the numberplate in February '69).

Tankertrashnav
9th Mar 2015, 16:13
Interesting, Ramraider. When I was there the Regiment did 24 hour Land Rover patrols around the base, including the MQs. I was normally in the ops room with my sergeant and a signaller, and we initially wondered why there was competition among the blokes to be allocated a particular patrol area at night. All became clear when someone revealed that a teenage occupant of one MQ used to put on a nightly strip-show at the lighted window of her room for the benefit of the patrols. Naturally the sergeant and I had to instigate spot checks on the patrols to make sure they were being carried out effectively ;)

Just had a look at Khormaksar on Google earth. Seems in a sad state, with as far as I can make out a total of two transport aircraft up near the civvie airport end and a couple of helicopters over where the Argosies used to be parked.

It all looked a bit different in 1966!

JW411
9th Mar 2015, 17:56
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/ODRK.jpg

Mention of "where the Argosies used to park" led me to this piece of nostalgia. The long building at the extreme right of the photograph was my old home when I was on 105 Sqn. We were upstairs and 84 Sqn were downstairs. We shared a coffee bar in the basement where Saif, a Yemeni, presided.

brakedwell
9th Mar 2015, 18:50
Not many aircraft down the route, apart from Britannias. When was that photo taken Jock?

Dougie M
10th Mar 2015, 08:01
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/1362522c-30f2-4d0c-a49e-c3bfb9a45b19_zpsfgvzxgrv.jpg

Dougie M
10th Mar 2015, 08:06
Sadly this was how it appeared to "Stompie" Stableford when he staged through in a Dak in the 90's. Glad to see the Yemenis kept the place sparkly. On a trip to Thumrait we once got a call from an Aeroflot enquiring if we had anybody on board who was in Aden. On giving the affirmative they replied "We know why you left!"

JW411
10th Mar 2015, 10:43
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/BMH.jpg

It wasn't a Dak. It was DC-4 ZS-BMH and the year was 1998. By the way, Stompy was my co-pilot on 105 and we are still in daily contact.

John: I'm not sure when that photograph was taken but I think it was before my time. I'll try to ferret out the original and see if there are any clues on the back.

JW411
10th Mar 2015, 11:01
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/B26.JPG

And here is the man himself examing the B-26 which landed at Khormaksar with a faulty undercarriage on its way to the Congo. It resided on the fire pit on the north side of the airfield by the bomb dump.

JW411
10th Mar 2015, 12:59
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/IL14.JPG

Parked next door to the B-26 was the Yemeni Air Force IL-14 which got lost and landed at Lodar by mistake. The crew tried to take off again but an Army officer drove a Land Rover in front of them. It was ferried to Khormaksar by a couple of gentlemen from RAE at Farnborough. That's my beloved Fiat 850 Coupe in the background.

JW411
10th Mar 2015, 17:55
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/84SQN.jpg

And here is another one that I found.

zetec2
10th Mar 2015, 19:49
Some of you had it easy, tarmac & concrete !, when I was there in 62-64 we had Gypsum as "hardstanding", plus our hangar is shown in the background (105 sqn) none of this fancy new stuff, PH.

Rosevidney1
10th Mar 2015, 20:35
I wonder what happened to Falaise Field with its hangars and tower at Little Aden after we withdrew? I know the nearby camp had a church (that rather resembled a Mosque) which was completed just before we upped sticks. Plenty of Twynham (sp) accommodation too.

jindabyne
11th Mar 2015, 14:23
Around '65

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx147/Mal_Grosse/de7b470a-c499-4355-ac68-b789ad4ec073_zps59gjtulw.jpg (http://s750.photobucket.com/user/Mal_Grosse/media/de7b470a-c499-4355-ac68-b789ad4ec073_zps59gjtulw.jpg.html)

Pontius Navigator
11th Mar 2015, 15:17
I see the stadium lighting had been nicked by 1998.

From the old pics, any idea where the Vulcans parked? I know we sank in to the tarmac.

Old-Duffer
11th Mar 2015, 16:39
Jindabyne,

That's the first Whirlwind 10 I've ever seen outside the Far East with the sand filter door. If that was '65, it would have been one of the first, I think, to have got the door.

It was probably a good idea in Aden as GW 1 showed further north but in Borneo it was regarded as 84 lbs of worthless weight, which reduced the payload/fuel and for little tangible benefit.

Old Duffer

Herod
11th Mar 2015, 17:35
Further to which Wessex (if any) remained yellow, the words of a squadron song came to mind. To the tune of "Teeterboro Tower"

"Hello Khormaksar Tower, this is XT 603,
You're getting all bad-tempered, that's very plain to see.
I'm still a nice bright yellow, they haven't gone as far
As to paint me with distemper; I'm still on SAR"

I don't recall flying it in yellow colours though, so perhaps it was absorbed into the fleet by the time I got to Khormaksar in May '67. In fact, checking the logbook, I first flew it after the move to Sharjah, in Dec of that year.

jindabyne
11th Mar 2015, 20:31
Old-Duffer

Have a peep at www.radfanhunters.co.uk

Been Accounting
11th Mar 2015, 20:40
... and where was the 37 sqn pub?

I remember being sat on the bar at the age of four!

zetec2
11th Mar 2015, 20:41
Who is the artist of the print & where can I get a copy please ?.

Wwyvern
12th Mar 2015, 12:00
Not Aden, Sycamore.

I was in the Wessex/Puma formation which was lead by a Sycamore to a landing on Upavon on 11 Aug 72. After lunch, the Wessex and Pumas gave a flypast for the parked Sycamore. AOCinC signalled his "thanks for an immaculate flying display. It gave thje Old Lady a fine send off."

Cornish Jack
12th Mar 2015, 12:26
Zetec2, re. the gypsum, quite so.
'55-'58 era the hangar was given over once a year to the Kormaksar 'Fair' ... misnomer for a ginormous drunken thrash!! The I S troops at the time were the K.O.Y.L.I. Their RSM did a 'patrol' late in the evening with a couple of his 'sturdiest' Cpls and spotting any of 'his' in advanced falling-down mode would put a Cpl either side and remove them to a waiting 3 tonner and thence back to Barracks. The Regiment (RAF) guys, on the other hand were left to their own devices.
The following morning parades were noticeably contrasting!!!:E

jindabyne
12th Mar 2015, 20:37
zetec you have a PM

zetec2
12th Mar 2015, 22:17
Hi, nothing as at 22.20 ?, rgds, PH.

brakedwell
13th Mar 2015, 10:29
Apologies for the thread drift, but I found this photo while searching through my Hastings slides. It was taken from the RHS during a refuelling stop at RAF Habbaniya on April 12th 1958, enroute from Bahrain to Nicosia after a short detachment in Khormaksar. Remarkably similar to Aden, but without the Rocks.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Habbaniya%202_zps5g11psnw.jpg

Cornish Jack
13th Mar 2015, 14:51
Presumably that was Habbaniyah Plateau, not Main.
Remarkably similar to Aden, but without the Rocks.
Not even close!! Aden was truly awful, climate, accommodation, food, entertainment, facilities etc. truly ad nauseam!
Hab, on the other hand had pleasant accommodation, shopping centre, civilised Messes, even a ZOO!!! - absolutely chalk and cheese! Mind you, spent 10 days in Hab hospital recovering from food poisoning (post Aden greed!) - would have been happy to stay.

brakedwell
13th Mar 2015, 15:41
It felt the same as Khormaksar without the humidity during a quick turnaround. Agreed Aden was a dump. I suffered it for two years!

brakedwell
13th Mar 2015, 16:55
Couple more taken in April 1958.

8 Squadron Venoms

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-13%20at%2016.31.41_zpst65dbojf.png

Parked at the western end near the Venoms.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Screen%20Shot%202015-03-13%20at%2016.32.59_zpswgni8x0v.png

nimbev
20th Mar 2015, 20:46
Khormaksar in the news again. Fighting in and around the airport.

http://nyti.ms/19C1ERY

Herod
20th Mar 2015, 21:05
But this time they're not shooting at the Brits. That's the way I like it.

Shack37
20th Mar 2015, 22:10
But this time they're not shooting at the Brits. That's the way I like it.

NLF and FLOSY were having a pop at each other back then too IIRC.

Dougie M
21st Mar 2015, 08:05
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/d9e3415c-d6c2-4698-9697-4d81c650a71e_zpsy8j08gbb.jpg

Dougie M
21st Mar 2015, 08:07
Always reminds me of the amateurish insurgent attempts before IS and Al Qaeda.
A slogan writer fled leaving his paint so an obliging squaddie finished it off

brakedwell
21st Mar 2015, 09:12
Good grief! Sundowners on balconies along the Maalla Straight could be interrupted by RPG's again :eek:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/Maalla%20straight%20looking%20east_zpsnv1iuqkk.jpg

Dougie M
21st Mar 2015, 11:00
At least we don't have to mount check points.http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/262e6b91-bad0-4276-9632-dc4e31021593_zps2swuynk5.jpg

jindabyne
21st Mar 2015, 17:56
Tarshyne back to Khormaksar on our Honda 50's - in formation. And no breathalyser limit! 50 plus years back.

Dougie M
22nd Mar 2015, 13:36
A lot more brain cells were left herehttp://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/e3c65c0b-5856-4dfd-8355-830cb65231b2_zpscwbwed7a.jpg

Dougie M
22nd Mar 2015, 15:03
Mostly post flight bevvies http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/dc830d6f-86f1-45ea-bdee-8bc2b61ee282_zpsv471hykn.jpgstarted at noon

brakedwell
22nd Mar 2015, 16:56
Is that Wally M on the right? Riding a Honda 50 around the Jungle Bar could be tricky if too much beer was spilled! :eek:

Dougie M
22nd Mar 2015, 17:03
I'm afraid that Wally is not blanked in this photo because he is sadly no longer with us. A larger than life character sorely missed.

brakedwell
22nd Mar 2015, 17:04
I know, he flew with me a lot in Air Europe.

Ramraider
22nd Mar 2015, 23:24
Usual 84 Beverley Squadron lunchtime gathering circa 1960. Pete Youll on the left and 'Herby' Herbert at the back. Can't remember the rest.
FYI, all the 84 Squadron Memorabilia, including the squadron diary from that era and the David Shepherd painting of a Beverley at Beihan, is held by the current 84 Helicopter squadron at Akrotiri. A fascinating read, lots of photographs to make us all realise just how good looking we were 50+ years ago.

Ramraider

Micklemas
22nd Mar 2015, 23:35
My late dad was a M/Sig Winchman who was given a year's unaccompanied posting to Khormaksar, so I've just had a look through his log books for the period.

His first flight there was 1 May 1966 and his last was 4 February 1967, which covers most of the period you're interested in.

Up until mid-July 66 all his flights were on Whirlwind 10s, after that Wessex 2s crept in. There was a mix of both types right through to February 67, but in my dad's case only about a quarter of his flights were in Wessex's.

Obviously I can't say what was there outside the period he was there.

He took a few photos while he was there - I'll have to work out how to upload them!

Hope this is helpful :)

Tankertrashnav
23rd Mar 2015, 09:47
Ah yes - the Jungle Bar. In 1966 the mess seemed to possess only one LP, Bert Kaempfert's Swingin' Safari and how I grew to loathe it after daily exposure over the weeks and months. I seem to remember a G & T was 50 fils (one shilling, or 5p) and 20 Rothmans and a box of matches was the same. And no, that wasn't a lot of money, even then!

brakedwell
23rd Mar 2015, 10:10
Hoot and roar with 84 and stay alive with 105, although I nearly did myself serious harm when my Honda 50 slid from under me on a beer puddle during a Jungle Bar TT :eek:

Lordflasheart
23rd Mar 2015, 10:36
Brakedwell -

Do you think your excellent pic of the Habbaniya parking lot (post 65 above) might be back to front ? Shouldn't the hangars be on the right ?

Back to the thread -

LFH Père was on 8 in Aden. 'E din't say nuffink about no 'elicopters.

Mind you, he flew Ninaks – 1925-27. Hinaidi first, then briefly at Khormaksar. Shipped home with TB. Never expressed a convincing wish to return. ............ LFH

ICM
23rd Mar 2015, 11:50
Might JW411 be persuaded to add some of his photos from those days? Possibly some of the flooded Jungle Bar and the shenanigans therein circa 1 April 1967, after the exceptionally heavy rain that hit Aden and much of the coastline? (I see that I went on a double 1-ton drop of rations and mail at Salalah the next day as a result.)

JW411
23rd Mar 2015, 15:05
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/Jungle.JPG

If you insist Ian. Ken Stanley on the left, Wally climbing into the top of the fountain and Taff Bevan below.

JW411
23rd Mar 2015, 15:09
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/Boys.JPG

L-R: Taff Bevan, Ken Stanley, Wally Makepeace and Colin Probert.

JW411
23rd Mar 2015, 15:13
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/Mess.JPG

Time to head back to the bar. L-R: Andy McHugh, Taff Bevan (with the week's mail in his back pocket - slightly modified) and Colin Probert.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Mar 2015, 16:41
Much evidence of the rank Flying Officer, now barely seen in a squadron crewroom, and certainly even rarer as a transport aircraft Captain.

At Seletar I shared a room in the mess with Andy McNeil who was a Flying Officer Beverley captain on 34 Sqn at age 23. Nice chap, I have a slide of him somewhere sitting in his "armchair" seat flying over the Malayan jungle.

Never heard about those floods in Aden. I was there for 6 months in 1966 and it rained once for about 15 minutes in the middle of the night. I was on a 24 hour shift, so witnessed the phenomenon, but by the next day it had all dried up and people who had slept through it didnt believe it had rained.

Hoot and roar with 84 and stay alive with 105

Same saying at Marham in the 70s, substituting 214 and 55!

brakedwell
23rd Mar 2015, 16:50
Do you think your excellent pic of the Habbaniya parking lot (post 65 above) might be back to front ? Shouldn't the hangars be on the right ?

To be honest I can't remember as it was only a refuelling stop. I will hunt out slide and recheck.

JW411
23rd Mar 2015, 17:02
Jenkins:

If you are talking about the photograph at Post #78, the chap in the background with the moustache is Neil Carnegie. All five of them were on 105 Sqn.

JW411
23rd Mar 2015, 17:22
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/Flood1.JPG

Sorry folks; this is the shot that I couldn't find earlier which shows Wally at the peak of his career.

ian16th
25th Mar 2015, 21:52
Aden Airport in Yemen closed
(http://www.news24.com/World/News/Aden-Airport-in-Yemen-closed-20150325)

Ramraider
27th Mar 2015, 23:31
JW411 re. Post 94.

I concede. You are probably right about the identities of the guys in the photograph at post 78, although the resemblance to the individuals I thought that I had 'identified' in post 82 is quite striking, However, on reflection I realised that, for the subjects to be those that I thought they were, the photo would have had to date to 1959 which was probably well before your time.
In other posts there were some references to how rare the rank of Flying Officer now is in a squadron crewroom. In 1959 No 84 (Beverley) Squadron had a direct entry AEO Pilot Officer Signals Leader - very rare!

Ramraider

TripleC
28th Mar 2015, 16:18
Which one is Richmond Court where I lived and could set my watch by the bazooka attacks from Crater?

brakedwell
28th Mar 2015, 21:11
I can't remember the name of our block, but we were on the third floor and the bazookas used to arrive when the memsaab was on her second brandy ginger.

ValMORNA
28th Mar 2015, 21:32
In the matter of Junior Officers as captain of aircraft, I often flew with a Pilot Officer as skipper on 84 Squadron, and it's not just a smudge on my log book. There were also several Sgt pilots active; not sure if they were authorised to carry V and A items on route.

oldpax
29th Mar 2015, 00:51
I have to say that "Jungle bar" looks a damn sight more attractive than either the "NAFFI" bar or the "69"club(bfpo 69 of course!)although the steak meals in the "69"were really good .

Dougie M
31st Mar 2015, 09:59
This would be after work, around lunch time but before heading for the beach. No meals served here unless it was an evening function.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/201fc476-419c-4eaf-8edc-125eb406c291_zpshk6xbysj.jpg

Dougie M
31st Mar 2015, 10:10
These were the days of Promex B to advance to Flt. Lt. Apart from the Exam there was a time to be served in each rank. We had a Fg. Off. Freddie Bond who experienced a bombing raid during his B exam in the 40s and had to take cover. He refused to retake it so was a very senior Fg. Off.
As for the beer above. It was Tennents Lager shipped out in the bilges. The tins were always rusty.

teeteringhead
31st Mar 2015, 10:23
Was it Tennants that had the pinups on the cans?

(Not [quite] old enough for BFPO 69, but did manage 64 and 66!)

ICM
31st Mar 2015, 10:31
Tennants? As I recall, it certainly was. And I also seem to recall a period during which supplies were held up and the cans were fairly rusty old stock ... but it didn't make much difference. And Cpl Mulholland often behind the bar?

jindabyne
31st Mar 2015, 11:19
And Amstel

teeteringhead
31st Mar 2015, 13:54
One has found a link here (http://www.cannyscot.com/1st%20Lovelies.htm) to the original "Lager Lovelies" of 1969-71.

Not exactly Page 3 but ISTR they were a very welcome diversion! :ok:

Dougie M
31st Mar 2015, 14:02
The Tennants cans depicted "Jane" in various garbs. Carlsberg was available in stubbies as below.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/adfa9e0b-e511-4b13-81f9-e4c0f55f8c1f_zpszcdyeeih.jpg

etimegev
3rd Apr 2015, 06:32
Looking at the pics of the current Khormaksar airfield I cannot believe that the locals continued to use it as an "international" airport. Wonder what the pax thought as the aircraft taxied in?

'Twas a place I was glad to be rid of in May 67. Sharjah was much better :}

brakedwell
3rd Apr 2015, 09:39
I wouldn't describe Sharjah as better than anywhere :eek:

brakedwell
3rd Apr 2015, 09:59
Yes, Jenks, I looked forward to a day of adventure once I was airborne from Sharjah.

Dougie M
3rd Apr 2015, 14:39
This place wasn't much cop either in the 60's. The runway is now a thoroughfare in the town ATC looks sad but the fort is still there.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/32e0610a-d9d5-4004-ba72-d1e82a6327f7_zpsbuormnec.jpg

Dougie M
3rd Apr 2015, 14:46
I suppose a change was as good as a rest

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/c5e5715e-4a1c-4c30-9304-4aaa42b0bc77_zpsluue1kau.jpg

Cornish Jack
3rd Apr 2015, 17:07
The advantages of Sharjah over K'sar were a) AIR CONDITIONED ACCOMODATION!! and b) Mc Connochie's (??) tinned Ready Meal as an alternative to the Mess food!
P.S. The two on the left in 101(as viewed) look VERY familiar but no names can be dredged up.

twentygrand
3rd Apr 2015, 18:17
I seem to remember Allsopps (Slops).
My (shared) room was just above the Jungle bar so it made sense to down a few before retiring. We were up very early (0500) to get the Beverley back from up-country
before it got too turbulent and dusty.
There are a few claims for ***hole of the world, but nowhere comes close to Aden.

Wensleydale
3rd Apr 2015, 18:29
Re air conditioning at Khormaksar: the following is from the 8 Sqn web site.

In July 1959, an article entitled “Up go the Venoms to shoot a camel” appeared in the London Evening Standard. Apart from being a blatant line-shoot, one paragraph did, for the Squadron, have a very profitable sequel. The paragraph was:

“…….another hardship is lack of sleep. Without air-conditioning, restful sleep is impossible and none of the pilots had an air-conditioned bedroom, although it could be so equipped for an outlay of £1,000.”

A few days after publication of this article the Station Commander received a letter from a lady who wished to remain anonymous. The letter asked if he would accept £1,000 to be spent on air-conditioning units for the pilots of No 8 Squadron. A letter accepting the offer was despatched by return of post and within weeks the installation of the units was complete! It must be added that the grateful Air Force not only refused to pay for the electricity consumed by the air-conditioners, but it also refused to maintain them. The Squadron could not afford to do so, and consequently they went unserviceable one by one before being removed and scrapped (by the Air Force).

nimbev
3rd Apr 2015, 19:57
There are a few claims for ***hole of the world, but nowhere comes close to Aden. Except for the old saying that the Persian Gulf is the ***hole of the world and Muharraq is 500 miles up it.

Rosevidney1
3rd Apr 2015, 20:43
Khormaksar was absolute luxury compared to anything the Army had in Aden those days.

etimegev
3rd Apr 2015, 20:50
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/sharjahfort10_zpsad2db909.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/allan907/media/sharjahfort10_zpsad2db909.jpg.html)

Sharjah looks a hell of a lot different now!

Tankertrashnav
3rd Apr 2015, 22:28
Spent a couple of nights in the mess in Sharjah around 1972. As we'd just spent 2 weeks in Masirah with its salt water showers it seemed like luxury. Sharjah's runway wasnt long enough for a Victor K1, so we used the airport at a nearby town called Dubai, where some of the buildings were at least 5 stories tall!

ICM
3rd Apr 2015, 22:30
That view of the runway at #113 was, as I recall, very similar to that at Dubai just along the coast, with a real risk of misidentification! Little did we think back then how things might change in that area.

Dougie M
4th Apr 2015, 08:23
An airborne shot of Dubai creek where Sheikh "Robbie" used to ply his trade in gold Khunjas. If I had married his daughter as he suggested I would have been a millionaire today!

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/558dfe81-47b8-42ab-b8d6-4908b834f51c_zpsexkzl37s.jpg

JW411
4th Apr 2015, 10:17
Cornish Jack:

The photo at #101; L-R Dave Rix, Colin Probert, Doug M, Wally Makepeace.
Behind: Neil Carnegie.

brakedwell
25th May 2015, 09:42

You are right, it was a long long time ago. I see the hangers show up well on Google Earth.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Habbaniya%20copy%202_zpslcu8ogjb.png

ExRAFRadar
25th May 2015, 13:29
Thanks to everyone for giving me a very interesting and entertaining thread :D

ancientaviator62
25th May 2015, 13:53
Dougie,
you may equally as well have become a counter tenor !

Danny42C
25th May 2015, 18:53
Never was there, but:

"A little bit of 'mutti' fell down from the sky one day
- and it landed in the desert not so very far away .
- and when the Air Force saw it, it looked so bare and grim
- They said 'that's what we're looking for, we'll put our Station there' ".

(Aplologies to "The Shaibah Blues")

Shack37
25th May 2015, 20:59
Dougie,
you may equally as well have become a counter tenor!

Better a tenner counter;)

brakedwell
25th May 2015, 21:48
Spent a couple of nights in the mess in Sharjah around 1972. As we'd just spent 2 weeks in Masirah with its salt water showers it seemed like luxury.

When did Sharjah get fresh water showers? In 1959 - 61 we washed, shaved and showered with brackish water and seawater soap, then washed off the salty residue with the daily bucket of fresh water. Quelle luxury.

Like Khormaksar, Sharjah was not officially an "air conditioned" station, which was why I spent so much time there with a Twin Pioneer. As the only single pilot on 152 for a high proportion of my two year tour I did most of the Twin Pin flying out of Sharjah as my LOA only dropped from three shillings to one and sixpence, whereas married crew members dropped from seven pounds fifteen shillings to one and sixpence as they and their families were entitled to a much higher LOA due to air conditioning costs, but only when they were present in Bahrain!

Krakatoa
26th May 2015, 11:06
Also in and out Sharjah 59-61 on 37 Det. I remember we bought large
plastic bottles of cheap Indian shampoo to use in the shower. Better than nothing with salt water showers.

Lordflasheart
27th May 2015, 07:47
Thank you Brakedwell. I knew I'd seen that memorable photo somewhere before – I just tracked it down to your own "which aerodrome" challenge from 2009 ;) .

I gather Habbaniya is back in the wars again as an assembly area for the glorious re-taking of Ramadi etc.

LFH

Herod
13th Jun 2015, 17:16
For the last 2 days, a group of pilots from 78 Squadron in Khormaksar have been holding their first reunion since those memorable (in many different ways) days. We managed nine of us; not bad after some forty-eight years.

JW411
29th Oct 2015, 12:08
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/KN452.jpg

Well, it's taken me a long time but I now have a new slide converter and I have been making some inroads into my collection. There was some mention of the RAF Dakota at Khormaksar on this (or a similar thread) many moons ago and I have just found a shot of 21 Squadron's KN452.

JW411
29th Oct 2015, 12:15
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/XM940.jpg

Staying with 21 Squadron, here is Twin Pin XM940. I think this shot was taken on an open day.

JW411
29th Oct 2015, 12:24
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/XS793.jpg

And here is their famous leaking Andover CC.2 XS793. It was plagued with fuel leaks and as often as not we had to back up its VIP departures with a 105 Sqn Argosy (in semi-VIP fit).

JW411
29th Oct 2015, 13:56
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/XF456.jpg

To keep the FJ lobby happy, here is 8/43 Squadron Hunter FGA.9 XF456.

JW411
29th Oct 2015, 14:01
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/XM103.jpg

And finally for today, 84 Squadron Beverley XM103.

DeanoP
29th Oct 2015, 16:53
233 Sqn Dinghy Drill pic taken 1963. Sycamore SAR

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1307/pict0136_b82fce964d8d37736d0790de443560eac64aeb80.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1205/pict0137_c29cc7b0a30ae19aabf704fde9165fccfd34af5d.jpeg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1282/pict0141_e4b916e6051ee3bf2c13fcf6b5c89ebb27ebd332.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1307/pict0142_c0274869252442540392f965fab3e3c663445b72.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x2000/pict0143_6759a9bb1ad52a584d2d0a712364d7e00a2943e5.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0144_bfdb3b6949b3dc204be526fc17fd0e9633fa03db.jpeg

DeanoP
29th Oct 2015, 16:58
233 Sqn Valettas South of Crater and Little Aden. Pics taken 1963. Loads of formation practice prior to disbandment.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1299/pict0149_8ec2e7c499f6e157b70b4075098065c44141d840.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0152_154a40b32ca4f35a6682f92dc04d51f1b2e143f4.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1307/pict0156_835d8e25c9b9fde32f54a0b7163038c2e740ec71.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1307/pict0157_148f4665e54222fe6401ec783061eebd01ca6ef6.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1274/pict0151_e614338f0e5e85462cb1a84031c22540088f3041.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0160_52591eb9792dfaeeb713f24d689d2b5cdf12d49d.jpeg

DeanoP
29th Oct 2015, 17:01
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0085_6d4b16586c90dc1c9a50b4cba180f54b1ba3c2cc.jpeg
View towards Crater from Officers' Mess non air-conditioned accommodation

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
29th Oct 2015, 17:04
Keep them coming, please.

Rosevidney1
29th Oct 2015, 18:33
+1. The more the merrier.

zetec2
29th Oct 2015, 19:53
Wot ! no Argosies ?

ValMORNA
29th Oct 2015, 20:32
Or humble Valettas?

brakedwell
29th Oct 2015, 20:55
Or humble Valettas?

233 Sqn was disbanded in January 1964.

tlightb
29th Oct 2015, 21:27
JW411. Brilliant, brings back memories, flew in XM940 a lot and KN452 on CT although I was not the regular Nav. May have been pax on the Andover on a day out to Eastleigh, but we had two so could have been the other one.

I note from log book that we ferried XM940 to Muharraq arriving 13.09.67, after steady transit via night stops Salalah and Masirah, when 21 Sqn disbanded.We parked it up by the tower with one other and they were still there when I returned on Argosy detachment in 1969.

Keep them coming.

brakedwell
30th Oct 2015, 09:17
105 Sqn took over the Mombasa leave run contract from Aden Airways in July 1965, when security on the civil side of Khormaksar was deemed to be unsafe. Five hours each way and two hours on the ground was a long day, but (Aden Airways) crew lunches in the terminal restaurant where very good.

This photo shows the passenger baggage on the rear sill 30 minutes before departure.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Mombasa.jpg

JW411
30th Oct 2015, 14:39
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/21LC2.jpg

One Friday lunchtime we were visited by three French Air Force Douglas AD-4N Skyraiders from Esc.21 based across the water at Djibouti. Their arrival caused a bit of a stir since they had failed to tell ATC that they were going to do a run-in and break! They duly taxied in and parked outside 105 Squadron. Apart from the pilot upstairs they had managed to shoe-horn five or six passengers into each of the navigator's compartments downstairs. The object of the visit was to have a weekend's R & R and to collect some cheap booze.

JW411
30th Oct 2015, 14:43
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/21LG2.jpg

JW411
30th Oct 2015, 14:46
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/21LG.jpg

ICM
30th Oct 2015, 15:28
Yes, indeed, I remember having a look at those Skyraiders - and comparing their downstairs accommodation rather unfavourably with my upstairs desk in the Argosy. (Of course, I was quite unaware of the luxury that awaited some years later on the Belfast!)

DeanoP
30th Oct 2015, 23:20
Engine problem at Mogadishu en route to Eastleigh, Nairobi from Khormaksar. Photos taken May 1962.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1460/pict0186_787250f2866e0227e961a4e0ffece9817f23333a.jpeg
U/S in Mogadishu May 1962
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0188_a27e104448d12e416c1b19aa51e9beac6ecd6a56.jpeg
Air Guitar by the Wing Pilot with Air Sig 'Tannoy' Brown, Sqn Ldr Ken Denham and F/L John Williams enjoying the performance! Tannoy called for spares with his morse key, one engine running
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1282/pict0189_ebc4a323f81061de65c3a35cc6d1453588e861f8.jpeg
Rescue airframe brought spares. Somali Air Force DC3 in background
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1325/pict0193_fafd8f40e6d84c015f0196d267f911e016d0e7a7.jpeg
Could be the fire truck or the ration wagon or maybe they have just emptied the Elsan. Whole place was run down.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1266/pict0191_e756af2932a314c798f8734896f9c067437583bb.jpeg
Waiting to become serviceable
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1274/pict0195_7b8b6a9ff69540305486f784ef561a38e5a8a293.jpeg

DeanoP
30th Oct 2015, 23:25
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0064_04bf3c6eac8b11af2cd945f4dd78b58adfeeaeb1.jpeg
Low level over Sheikh Othman ( 2miles NW Khormaksar) Taken 1963

DeanoP
30th Oct 2015, 23:38
Game of 'Kirky'. 105 Sqn Copilot Fg Off facing camera. Not very salubrious but air-conditioned! Taken 1963. The paper cups were thrown out of the aircraft after use and used as navigation aids on subsequent trips - well there wasn't much else to go on over the desert!!!
Door on the right was to the TV room but you have heard that one before.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0185_a204e238f1cd3904826461599a25b3f8e29a547d.jpeg
Another view of the crew room. ( Found this photo on the net). Boss Sqn Ldr Barnard on left, M.Plt. Ward facing the camera and F/L Thomas on right

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/719x479/oc_233_sqn_ksar_10_62_kw_fc1823ce47693ba49e5d89c57211cbda3a1 05498.jpeg

JW411
31st Oct 2015, 15:47
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/XP411KAM.jpg

Argosy XP411 at Kamaran Island. This aircraft is now in the RAF Museum at Cosford.

JW411
31st Oct 2015, 15:51
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/XP411KAM2.JPG

Flight Engineer "Bav" Baverstock in the foreground.

brakedwell
31st Oct 2015, 16:24
During my Twin Pioneer conversion with 78sqn in August 1959 we lost an engine on the way into Kamaran and had to night stop. HM's reprepresentitive was a real Peter Sellers type who put us up in a disused bungalow next the beach. Dimitri, the Greek owner of the only shop on the island, kept us supplied with copious amounts of beer and a good night was had by all. We were rescued the next day and the engine change was completed the following week.

JW411
31st Oct 2015, 17:30
His name was Archie Wilson and he was indeed a bit of a character. I took the C-in-C, Admiral Sir Michael Le Fanu (who was a wonderful chap) plus FOME and their two ladies up there to stay for the weekend. I have some photographs somewhere of Archie's residence. He asked me if I could post some mail for him when I got back to Aden. One piece had to go by registered post (it apparently contained his son's school fees for the coming year). Of course, I was happy to do this.

He asked me how many men I had on my crew? I told him five whereupon he summoned his major-domo and told him to fetch five crabs! I thought this was definitely eccentric but kept my peace. He duly came back with a cool box and Archie asked me to send it back to him with Richard Willey who was due to pick up his guests on the Monday morning.

I gave the cool box to that most wonderful of all Loadmasters, Tony Hughes, to look after. Shortly after take-off, Tony came upstairs and asked me if I had actually seen the crabs. Every single one was the size of a huge dinner plate and would have fed an army. Archie wasn't as eccentric as I thought!

Happy Days.

downsizer
31st Oct 2015, 17:35
Awesome pictures.:ok:

Geriaviator
31st Oct 2015, 18:56
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y503/Oldnotbold/Khormaksar%201950_zpsyunl2zbt.jpg

Khormaksar from the north-east in 1950.

ValMORNA
31st Oct 2015, 19:27
Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful pictures of Khormaksar. I had the 'pleasure' of visiting several times in the 1950s, including accompanying a party from 'Flight' magazine in 1952 who were touring the RAF in MEAF for a feature on 'The Queen's Air Forces', which appeared in the issue for 29th May 1953.

BEagle
31st Oct 2015, 19:59
The UK really had an air force worthy of the title back then - whereas nowadays, even keeping Air Cadets' gliders airworthy seem to be a task beyond the capability of the RAF....:(

AnglianAV8R
31st Oct 2015, 20:08
Wow, thanks for sharing the picture of the Argosy at Mombasa. My earliest memory of flying was on one of those leave trips down to Mombasa. We returned in the relative luxury of an East African Airways Comet. Can anyone confirm the route flown by the Argosy ? I recall looking down at pyramids enroute, perhaps Sudan ? I expect that diplomatic niceties may have resulted in some odd routes.

smujsmith
31st Oct 2015, 20:37
Here here Mr Beagle. I believe You make a serious point there. Some great photos from back then though, DeanoP especially, any more sir ?

Smudge :ok:

Bill Macgillivray
31st Oct 2015, 21:34
We had the Royal Air Force, 2 ATAF, NEAF, MEAF and FEAF in those days. I seem to remember (not always accurately!) that all were bigger (not necessarily better) than our current air force! (Taking cover!)!!

brakedwell
31st Oct 2015, 22:27
Can anyone confirm the route flown by the Argosy ? I recall looking down at pyramids enroute, perhaps Sudan ? I expect that diplomatic niceties may have resulted in some odd routes.

We used to fly an almost straight line across the eastern edge of Kenya, then over Ethopia to Djibouti and on to Aden. Flight time was five hours plus or minus five minutes. No diplomatic clearance problems and nowhere near the Pyramids in Cairo!

bigjok
1st Nov 2015, 07:53
I think that the route went: Khormaksar - Djibouti - Aiscia(Eth) - Jigiga(Eth) - Wajir(Kenya) _ Mombasa.

ICM
1st Nov 2015, 08:52
I'm afraid that I've no retained logs or charts from back then with which to state authoritatively - but there was certainly a dogleg after Djibouti before setting course south down into Kenya, towards Wajir. I have Dire Dawa in mind from Djibouti, then a left turn to the airstrip (and NDB??) at Jijiga, before the turn south. I think the intention must have been to stay clear of Somali airspace, and that Dire Dawa was a visual pinpoint by day and a Doppler guess by night. And, indeed, no pyramids.

AnglianAV8R
1st Nov 2015, 09:43
Thanks for the replies concerning the routing twixt Khormaksar and Mombasa. I can assure you we flew over pyramids, but certainly not the ones at Cairo. The chap in charge of Egypt at that time was not our best mate. I reckon they were in Ethiopia, which would fit with the dog leg route via Djibouti. Sudan also has pyramids, but I suspect we didn't overfly their territory. Ethiopia was in the Western sphere of influence at that time and Sudan may have been, but were soon to start buying Soviet weaponry as their political leanings changed. I suspect we weren't welcome over Somalia ? which would've been a more direct route. I may even have some photographs which were taken from the Argosy, but they will be 'archived' in the loft.

CharlieJuliet
1st Nov 2015, 10:27
Late in1962 I had to go to Aden from Nairobi for an initial aircrew medical at Steamer Point RAF Hospital. From memory I travelled in a Valetta and made one stop at Hargeisa; looking at the map I assume we stopped somewhere else as well. I had been taken out of school just pre Higher School Cert with the RAF promising I would be back in 2 days. In the event it took a week during which I was introduced to duty free in the Red Sea Transit Mess in Maala. Happy days!

JW411
1st Nov 2015, 10:38
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/Maalla.JPG

Maalla Straight was usually a bustling highway. This photograph was taken during a General Strike in 1967 and it is nearly deserted. I never did find out if the four-legged insurgent was from FLOSY or the NLF.

jindabyne
1st Nov 2015, 10:58
Aah - the days of 6-ship Honda-50 formations streaking down the Straight, returning from the Tarshyne Club, well fuelled with Amstel!

ICM
1st Nov 2015, 11:15
For Anglian AV8R: Despite The UK and President Nasser not being the best of friends, as you say, we were able to fly over Egypt whilst ferrying our 105 Sqn Argosies back to the UK for major servicing, but that all came to a sudden end in early February 1967. I was Nav on a crew all ready to do one of these when, with a day or so to go, we heard that Dip Clearance had been withdrawn. We then had to replan and wait for DipClears to be arranged for the CENTO route over Iran and Turkey to Cyprus and, from what I recall, that was the route that had to be used thereafter. I've a feeling that Egyptian assistance to the Yemenis in the general insurgency affecting Aden had been the breaking point in relations.

tlightb
1st Nov 2015, 12:46
I went into Kamaran a few times when Archie was there, quite a character as you say. When I visited he had a three legged dog, greyhound/afghan type, and also had a very elegant lady staying who was a former ballerina. He also had a punkah wallah in the residence. I seem to remember that he was also reputed to be the man in some Gordon's Gin avertisements that used to appear in the colour supplements, complete with spendid beard and monocle.

brakedwell
1st Nov 2015, 13:03
ISTR Archie told us he spent a lot of his time with his binoculars, logging shipping movement into Yemen.

JW411
1st Nov 2015, 16:44
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/Archie.JPG

I found this photograph of Archie's HM Residence at Kamaran on my hard drive. It badly needs cleaning up but this will have to do for now.

DeanoP
1st Nov 2015, 17:25
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0090_1__37691670ce0c0c1ec5eec2875776ad42dd6e0ea6.jpeg

DeanoP
1st Nov 2015, 17:39
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0046_d02a5a7292a011e2627e69488f0ae7d2f6c58540.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0048_d947c4c5bfb6d569d4c57896ef2d9a71674ffb96.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0049_0d9cee22e3305c6a077caff794fca6a99d0e6175.jpeg

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x2000/pict0047_3789e7bf91ca2f6fd62411a5c4e91855eea13804.jpeg
At Beihan,130 nm NNE of Khormaksar. Fairly wet wadi flowing through the valley and quite a green, fertile oasis. Long awaited mail and supplies to the outpost. FgOff Mitchinson (Ops Officer detached from 233 Sqn) reading his mail.

Cornish Jack
1st Nov 2015, 18:21
If this doesn't work(3rd try!!!:ugh:) I shall go away and sulk:uhoh:
So, also Beihan, but earlier
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu193/CornishJack/Val06.jpg

courtesy of Jack Babbington, Harry Bray and myself with a Dutch newspaper reporter who wasn't disturbed 'cos he "thought you always landed like that!":confused:
Kamaran at that time had this info board ...
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu193/CornishJack/Val23-1.jpg
and this

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu193/CornishJack/Val22-1.jpg
S & R started with Sycamores and part-time Winchmen ...
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu193/CornishJack/Syc01.jpg
who would also be doing this ...
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu193/CornishJack/Val13.jpg
and this ...
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu193/CornishJack/Val12.jpg

Finally, what was probably the last photo of the ill-fated round-the-world Vulcan leaving for LHR.
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu193/CornishJack/Vulc02-1.jpg

doesn't seem like 60 years ago!:(

Expe
1st Nov 2015, 18:57
I fear to tread in this, my first post. Trepidation. Ah well, here goes. I'm wondering if anyone might be able to help. I have some family history connected to Aden 1961-63 and am trying to find details that are missing. AMWD engineer, the name of Martinelli, certain of involvement in the radio and power stations and RAF K. Anyone out there recall the name from Aden days?

AnglianAV8R
1st Nov 2015, 19:51
@ Charlie Juliet.... Had my tonsils yanked out in the RAF Hospital at Steamer Point. Not a happy memory as I came out with a severe ear infection :(
The Red Sea Hotel was indeed used for transit accommodation. It wasn't actually on Maala, but was on the Khormaksar road a bit further around the harbour from there. We lived in Elbaz Buildings right next to the Red Sea Hotel and I recall it being attacked by what was described at the time as a bazooka, but prob an RPG I guess. Hell of a woosh-bang and that was the first of several bangs I heard. we woz ard in them days and took it in our stride. Still waiting for my GSM !
From Elbaz Buildings I could see Beverleys clawing their way into the air, across the water towards Little Aden. It's just as well there's no high ground on the runway alignment :E
Interestingly, Little Aden was originally planned to be retained as an SBA, like we did in Cyprus. I guess Harold Wilson didn't want that.
@DeanoP.... The picture of the Bedford RL reminds me of when we moved to a flat on Maala Straight and I rode in the back of the 3 tonner, such an adventure for a six year old.
PYRAMIDS... Oh yes they were :E I guess I will have to check the archives and get back with some evidence. In the meantime, I've just spoken to my 80 year old Mother and she recalls seeing the pyramids, but can't remember what she had for breakfast this morning.

Herod
1st Nov 2015, 19:51
Crater, '67.

http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr302/peter46/Aden.%20Crater%20Ras%20Marshag%20Khormaksar%20runway_zpsrmej bn9d.png (http://s494.photobucket.com/user/peter46/media/Aden.%20Crater%20Ras%20Marshag%20Khormaksar%20runway_zpsrmej bn9d.png.html)

DeanoP
1st Nov 2015, 22:55
Photo taken about 1963

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1325/pict0029_b48f8f39728be67ace4a8dc027710744348abfb8.jpeg

FODPlod
1st Nov 2015, 23:10
Having experienced the Gulf and Aden in much more recent times, I am lapping up these old photos. My gratitude to all contributors.

DeanoP
1st Nov 2015, 23:28
Several trips here taking the AOC for a spot of fishing. Crew left with iron rations overnight in questionable accommodation.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0028_e0294ed45dded8366de290534f94d7173599a8eb.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x2000/pict0031_ddfffe60313a91fbc58c0ceae0f97a805532b0c0.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0019_41a745faddfd3ac30efc5eac565961e56e58ed18.jpeg
Crew accommodation Kamaran

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0006_82defa09163be213d3ae9da77e15153e6c91819e.jpeg
Mirror image. Finger trouble with the slide converter

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0015_1__8b50496e29f753dc7417f9506c19af0d9a90e9e0.jpeg
My Captain, John Williams. I slept out under the stars, luckily no mosquitos!

DeanoP
1st Nov 2015, 23:32
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0050_e8106c485471cbf60ff9363361ca8dd25003a69c.jpeg
Twin Pins upcountry from Khormaksar. Can't remember where. Taken 1962/3. Possibly Ataq?

JW411
2nd Nov 2015, 11:45
DeanoP:

Many thanks for your excellent Valetta shots. I particularly liked "Going Home". By the time I got to Khormaksar all the Valettas had gone. The only one I can remember seeing was the wreckage of VW817 at Firq which burst a tyre in 1959 (an 84 Squadron event I believe).

I did the Transport Command ground school at Thorney Island in June, 1962 and we had two chaps on the course who were destined for Valettas (Pearson and Mitchenson). They must have been about the last two to be headed in that direction?

Herod
2nd Nov 2015, 14:34
DeanoP. That looks like "Oriana" at Steamer Point. I travelled back from Oz with her, transiting Aden 17th Jan '64. I was hoping to join HM's finest, but little thought that come May '67 I would be stationed at Khormaksar.

Union Jack
2nd Nov 2015, 15:21
That looks like "Oriana" at Steamer Point.

Looks more like ARCADIA or IBERIA to me.:suspect:

Jack

JW411
2nd Nov 2015, 15:48
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/XP438BEIHAN.jpg

Here is 105 Squadron Argosy XP438 on one of my visits to Beihan.

JW411
2nd Nov 2015, 15:50
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/BeihanSouq.JPG

The entrance to the souq at Beihan.

JW411
2nd Nov 2015, 15:56
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/BeihanHair.JPG

Hairdresser No.2 at Beihan. The barber's chair was the captain's seat from 30 Squadron Beverley XH118 which unfortunately crashed during a 2-engine landing at Beihan in 1958. (The siggie was killed but everyone else survived with minor injuries. The aircraft was written off).

Tankertrashnav
2nd Nov 2015, 16:02
Dean Op re "finger trouble with slide converter"

Dont worry, those of us who spent time in Aden got used to reading from right to left ;)

goudie
2nd Nov 2015, 16:22
an RPG I guess. Hell of a woosh-bang and that was the first of several bangs
I served with a chap who had done a tour in Aden and claimed to have had missile go right through his flat. Luckily he and his wife were out shopping.

Terrific pics of Khormaksar and other places. Fortunately I only ever transited through the place.

brakedwell
2nd Nov 2015, 18:22
We had a south facing flat on the western end of the Maalla Staight in 1964/66. RPG's fired from the hills to the south were a common occurrance, usually between 1700 and 1900, while we were enjoying a sundowner or two on our balconies. A Major and his wife in the flat two floors above us were enjoying a bit of rumpy pumpy when an RPG flew through their open patio door, shot through the wall in the lounge and into their bedoom, just missing the bed before exploding in the bathroom. It made a hell of a bang and, according to the frisky Major, caused the earth move! It was surprising how we got used to being fired at.

Dougie M
2nd Nov 2015, 20:40
Was there any truth in the story of a Dak which was buzzed by a Yemeni Mig on its way to Kameran. When they asked for top cover for the return instead of the fighter escort a Shackleton turned up.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/d0fda9d3-2a2f-49ec-b2ff-3c736b92e1d2_zpserpw6tfv.jpg

DeanoP
2nd Nov 2015, 22:44
JW411

Thanks for your kind comment about 'Going Home'. Aden looks quite attractive from afar!

You mentioned Mitchinson, well, he is the person reading his mail in post No 177. He was detached there as an Ops officer for a short time from 233Sqn. I served with him on 24Sqn Hastings after Valettas and I was Best Man at his wedding in 1966.

Unfortunately Mitch died at a young age in Gibraltar, I think he had a heart attack. Late 1970's if I remember correctly.

brakedwell
3rd Nov 2015, 08:36
On my first visit to Aden (99sqn Hastings) in April 1958 the crew stayed in the Rock Hotel. I would imagine the locals wish the old times were back.

Taken from a balcony in the Rock Hotel
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Aden%20Harbour%20from%20Rock%20Hotel_zpshe93mkqg.jpg

brakedwell
3rd Nov 2015, 08:41
A close up of the BP Oil tanks visible in DeanoP's Steamer Point photo (182)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Aden%20from%20Rock%20Hotel%20balcony_zpsro0v6kfa.jpeg

brakedwell
3rd Nov 2015, 09:09
Early morning Fanta delivery.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Kitty%20Kola%20Aden_zpsktaqawtf.jpg

brakedwell
3rd Nov 2015, 09:11
Downwind, right hand, runway 08!
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Aden%20seen%20from%20South_zpslfkhlahx.jpg

Stanwell
3rd Nov 2015, 10:06
Herod & Union Jack,
Of course we're thread-drifting a bit, but the P&O liner off Steamer Point is, as Jack says, not the 'Oriana'.
Nor is it 'Arcadia' or 'Iberia'. (Funnel style is the clue.)
IMHO, it most closely resembles the 'Himalaya' as it would have appeared in 1963.

Union Jack
3rd Nov 2015, 10:32
IMHO, it most closely resembles the 'Himalaya' as it would have appeared in 1963. - Stanwell

IMHO you can now stop feeling humble:ok:....but only if you refer to such a fine looking ship as "she"!:=

Jack

Stanwell
3rd Nov 2015, 10:37
..... mea MAXIMA culpa!
Sack-cloth and ashes for the next three days.

BTW, can anybody comment on how the Alvis Leonides in the Twin-Pins performed in that climate?

JW411
3rd Nov 2015, 11:36
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/Mitch.jpg

DeanoP: Pearson on left, Mitchenson on right.

JW411
3rd Nov 2015, 13:49
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/Buses.JPG

Despite the general strike the children still went to school.

Wander00
3rd Nov 2015, 14:53
I recall my dear old mate Iain A-Rees telling us of going to school like this

brakedwell
3rd Nov 2015, 15:05
The more I see, the more I realise what a dump it was! Repatriating the inmates during the summer of 1967 was one of the more satisfying tasks I was involved with during my time on the Britannia.

DeanoP
3rd Nov 2015, 15:33
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0063_7e1c1d1ed7ab570fb73a933225d44274e8bbb0df.jpeg
Valetta cockpit
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1600/pict0075_1__8abfcd0ed140f806244a5c4f7c46e8e58bdeb011.jpeg
Beihan Airfield 1962/3

Rest of photos en route to Beihan
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1307/pict0077_1__8da76f1310a6d22b14c26be77459f22bab1bb32b.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0069_1__2302b26507cfad7f63715c78bf6b0ee6a8068302.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0088_1__52f3f29543600d0a4fa21ee3fe2652d4f600a1ce.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1282/pict0089_1__a6c66037b067ee5f85636184715ce55c07437c07.jpeg

ICM
3rd Nov 2015, 15:48
"The more I see, the more I realise what a dump it was!"

Indeed - and thanks to some pics on the ARDET site, taken by an ex-105 pilot passing through in 1998, we can see how things had deteriorated around the former MRT Wing pan in just 21 years. Heaven knows what it's all like now!

http://www.argosy.org.uk/Aden98-5.JPG

Exrigger
3rd Nov 2015, 15:52
Those pictures of Maala ? street with the flats we lived in, the Coca Cola factory was at one end and I remember thinking what great fun it was going to school with all those armed guards both on the bus and as shown escorting, kids with not a care in the world.

Good memories that will stay with me always.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
3rd Nov 2015, 16:11
Take a look at Khormaksar on 'Google Earth'. And what a dump it is!

Aaron.

JW411
3rd Nov 2015, 16:16
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/BAZ1.jpg

The first apartment that we lived in was in a block called Bazzara South. It was bigger than normal and was classified as a senior officer's hiring (which I most certainly was not). The bad news was that it was behind Maalla Straight towards Shamsan and the other side of the road was out of bounds. I presume that the previous occupant had done a sensible runner but we soon established that all of the artillery that came from the direction of Shamsan went past our block and buried itself into the flats on the south side of Maalla Straight. Just across the road was the Aden Supply Depot which was an RAF establishment but the current Army regiment (I have fond memories of the Cameronians and the South Wales Borderers) had a large presence there and manned the goon towers around the perimeter. This is our view of Shamsan from the bedroom window.

JW411
3rd Nov 2015, 16:21
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/BAZ2.jpg

This is a view of the debris left on our street after a pretty reasonable riot. They never quite got to our apartment (thanks to the Poisoned Dwarfs) but it did create a certain amount of entertainment.

JW411
3rd Nov 2015, 16:36
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/BAZ3.JPG

Our bathroom window overlooked the Aden Supply Depot. Every time an incident occurred the Army would set up road blocks and round up suspects who would be searched and released if there was no reason to detain them. When a major event took place the suspects would be taken to the Supply Depot, put against the wall, searched and interrogated. Mostly they were released but they could equally be sent to Fort Murbot for further questioning. Here is one of a series of slides that I took during such an occasion.

Incidentally, on the left you can see the back (south) side of the flats on Maalla Straight which took most of damage coming from "up the hill". I can remember one night a blindicide (RPG) round hitting one of the flats. Luckily for the inhabitants it embedded itself in the matrix of the air-conditioning unit and didn't kill or hurt anyone.

Rosevidney1
3rd Nov 2015, 18:22
It was a Blindicide landing in the open air cinema that caused the casualties at Beihan, if I recall correctly.

Exrigger
3rd Nov 2015, 18:45
Some photos from our flat:

[IMG][URL=http://s299.photobucket.com/user/MLH55/media/Aden.jpg.html][IMG]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/MLH55/Aden.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/MLH55/media/Aden-MalaHighstreet.jpg.html)

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/MLH55/Aden4.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/MLH55/media/Aden4.jpg.html)

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/MLH55/Aden6.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/MLH55/media/Aden6.jpg.html)

And just for a laugh, here is my two sisters and I in the Lido;

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/MLH55/AdenLido.jpg (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/MLH55/media/AdenLido.jpg.html)

tlightb
3rd Nov 2015, 20:21
Stanwell,

Ref the Alvis Leonides on the Twin Pin, in my time on 21 Sqn I don’t remember too many issues. I remember an event when we had to leave one at Habilayn for the fitters to repair on site, but I cannot recall the exact problem. I do remember several fire warning alerts (but no actual fires). One event was easily diagnosed on site where an exhaust stub on the collector ring around the rear of the engine had blown a cap fitting allowing exhaust gases to heat a fire warning wire, so perhaps the fire warning system was a cause of other events too. We also had a return ferry to the UK stuck in Baghdad for an engine change I seem to remember, but the ferries were usually OK. Considering the environment and the regular intense sand blasting of the Leonides I think they managed OK, but I’m sure someone out there with greater engineering knowledge will be able to add more detail.

CharlieJuliet
3rd Nov 2015, 20:30
Passed through Aden 3 times. First in Nov '62 when there were very few restrictions and little was out of bounds - wandered round Steamer Point shops and Maala (Maalla?) night clubs without problems as a callow youth. Secondly on finishing training in '64 when there were many more restrictions and armed guards with grenade nets round the Red Sea. I also think that the busses were protected by guards. Finally in 66 on leave when I managed to stay in the Mess at Khormaksar as down town was barely an option for transit. Great changes in a very short time!

Dougie M
3rd Nov 2015, 20:51
Even the twin pin became tactical camo coloured.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/5b659a9f-8699-43ef-882d-c847fcb25554_zpsmp0fkzhh.jpg

CoffmanStarter
3rd Nov 2015, 20:54
A simply brilliant Thread chaps (save the Herc Thread that is) ... Please keep the pics and stories coming :ok:

Best ...

Coff.

Stanwell
3rd Nov 2015, 21:32
Thanks for that, tlightb.
We have an airworthy Twin Pin not far from my mate's place.
Quite an impressive performer - with a lovely sound.

brakedwell
3rd Nov 2015, 21:50
Even the Twin Pin became tactical camo coloured.

During my short time on 78 sqn in August 1959 ISTR there were some experiments with an armed Twin Pin involving machine guns fitted to both transoms. I think it also had sky speakers under the wings. As I was not involved with this awesome weapon the details are very hazy. There was also talk of turning it into a tear gas bomber if the predicted uprising got out of control.
It was not used in anger before I left for Bahrain in September 59.

Union Jack
3rd Nov 2015, 22:07
They never quite got to our apartment (thanks to the Poisoned Dwarfs) but it did create a certain amount of entertainment. - JW11

More "Poison" than "Poisoned" I suggest, although the bürgers of Minden would probably have preferred the latter....:hmm:

Jack

DeanoP
3rd Nov 2015, 22:33
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x990/pict0072_1__476663e0d71891957e2abbbb10418d6d8cb09b22.jpeg
En Route to DZ. Door off for supply drop
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x2000/pict0058_1__08dd713adbaa3a6460af80ef5fa05a818a5ecf0f.jpeg
Drop load of SEAC packs (if I remember correctly). Looking forward to cockpit
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1325/pict0059_b9537a7f6a7e16b9fe0931bf2ade6abf1f2aa900.jpeg
Laying out the DZ at RAF Khormaksar
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x2000/pict0060_966d3ab97812e88d72fe2365eca37c6088e4661c.jpeg
Approaching DZ
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1299/pict0066_1__880a499d67704648d0b95e405ae41415ecdef97d.jpeg
Smoke marker
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0067_1__6c1c66b74c9cb89ae4f53671e896d12834dac1c0.jpeg
Dropping checks complete
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0073_1__3d850227c37e8f5301d7c2b7ec0e0f9a4d35b88c.jpeg
2 minute call
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x2000/pict0074_1__f0da1f76fc71d54fbe192e93b4a37b7dae740fd4.jpeg
Red On
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0081_1__8e35a2a1037a11eb047d432ef20be2187b9f34c4.jpeg
Green On
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0082_1__951c6a7c178c2be983331ee2a1dd4b636e999b4b.jpeg
Load Gone. Retrieve the strops.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1980x1557/pict0084_1__0418d584297dc88b42465439b4cb8c0f60f7a9ba.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0083_1__a9d118e2395dc843929f2d0a4fc065c14523f124.jpeg
Looking goodhttps://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1316/pict0085_1__230e44a50e1179364cecf12fe5ccd3ae30a21917.jpeg
All canopies deployedhttps://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1316/pict0086_1__3524cd52e8699dff19d31ba63dde57d6d22ad682.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1316/pict0087_1__8811f61c3f14ccf8efb70854f63b0783a3a1f5a8.jpeg
Near Miss! Possibly the safest place on the airfield!

brakedwell
4th Nov 2015, 06:48
This was a daily occurrence . . er entertainment.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/aviation/Security%20roadside%20check_zpswe7izoey.jpg

Tankertrashnav
4th Nov 2015, 07:11
Re the above, one of our more exciting activities when I was with the regiment squadron at Khormaksar was to go off in a Whirlwind and "drop in " on the side of the road, usually somewhere near the causeway, and set up an impromptu road block for 20 minutes or so until the aircraft came back to pick us up. On one occasion I remember having to placate an angry car occupant as one of my chaps had asked his wife to get out of the car instead of asking the man himself to do it. Woman of course couldn't be searched, and who knew if their burkas were concealing small arms, grenades etc, which meant that the whole procedure was flawed.

Good fun though!

DeanoP
4th Nov 2015, 10:56
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/pict0175_19ea638847a8416a5e2587e833c3cecb078610f5.jpeg
My own work
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x480/transport_wing_pan_from_233_sqn_valetta_ksar_1962_kw_1761c8d 1c3b869b05d15d9f5ef4b902654d2f094.jpeg
Unknown photographer

JW411
4th Nov 2015, 11:33
Union Jack: Quite right; poison not poisoned.

JW411
4th Nov 2015, 13:42
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/XH172.jpg

Here is another visiting Canberra. PR.9 XH172 from 39 Squadron.

JW411
4th Nov 2015, 13:50
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/88JB.jpg

Another French Air Force visitor; C-47A 42-100962 from Esc.88 in Djibouti.

tac2ils
5th Nov 2015, 08:48
What a fascinating thread; the mention of Kamaran Island particularly peaked my interest.

My uncle was an Observer with 203 Sqn (Blenheims IVs) based at Khormaksar in 1940; at the time they were protecting shipping convoys from Italian attack. On one morning of action in Oct 40, the crew shot down their fifth Italian bomber, but before any celebrations could take place, they needed to rearm and refuel on Kamaran Island. Unfortunately they lost an engine on takeoff and whilst trying to get back to the runway, hit a mosque. The aircraft cartwheeled into the ground and burst into flames. Pilot killed outright, uncle and gunner survived impact but died of wounds the next day.

I have pawed over Google Earth images of the island and can see something that is marked as a runway

To the southern end is some ruins that I take to be what's left of the outpost (the words Kamaran Island can be seen in the sand) https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@15.3564234,42.6106328,393m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

And just a little further south of those ruins I can more ruins (village?) with a building labelled as Al Iraqi mosque. I can only assume that this is the mosque that was hit.

If any of you can shed any more light on RAF activity on Kamaran or indeed on this story, I would be most grateful.

ancientaviator62
5th Nov 2015, 10:03
Dean,
IMHO they are wicker panniers that we also used on Hastings. SEAC packs were smaller and made of a canvas type of material. I wonder what mon ami 'dragartist' would make of the rusty roller !

JW411
5th Nov 2015, 16:22
I don't remember throwing anything out of the back of an Argosy made of wicker. It's a long time ago but I had it in my mind that SEAC packs were canvas containers weighing about 250 lbs.

The most common delivery method up-country in Aden was the 1-ton container which rested on the roller-conveyor floor of the freight bay and were pushed out over the sill of the clamshell doors by dispatchers. We would normally deliver 8 of those.

We also had the ability to deliver two MSPs (Medium Stressed Platforms) which would typically each contain a Landrover and trailer but to my knowledge, this was never used in anger either in Aden or even later in Oman.

Interestingly enough, there were several up-country strips (Mukeiras comes to mind) where we could have happily operated into but the powers that be in MEAF HQ would not authorise us to operate to Military Operating Standards. So, by applying Performance A standards we were restricted to the extent that we could actually deliver more payload by parachute than we could by landing!

JW411
5th Nov 2015, 16:42
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/MukeirasDZ.jpg

This was a dawn drop at Mukeiras. The DZ party were a bit surprised and if you look really closely, you will note that they have only just set off the aiming point flare (blue) to the left of the strip, halfway down.

I believe we had a defence radar at Mukeiras?

As you can see, the temptation to just go in and land was very high but our lords and masters at HQ were too involved in the art of CYA.

brakedwell
5th Nov 2015, 16:43
We had 4 TAC qualified crews on 105 in my time. The plan was to rotate them so that everyone did their fair share of para detachments at Muharraq, but that never happened. I dropped quite a few One Ton Containers up country, but never landed there. Our 4 ship formation team was called "The Thunderboxes".

Dougie M
5th Nov 2015, 18:50
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/b7981b86-7c51-4095-8102-02509518b9a4_zpsskauxs2u.jpg

tlightb
5th Nov 2015, 18:53
JW411. I remember the Army had radar at Mukeiras and I had a look in the bunker at the display set up. I believe it was a mortar locating radar designed for locating incoming PDQ. A search shows the Army used Green Archer at this time so perhaps that was the kit. Someone out there may know more.

Mukeiras used to get a bit lively at times I seem to remember, the Yemeni border was very close.

Dougie M
5th Nov 2015, 19:09
DZ marking was very uninspired in those days with no distance markers.

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/84578b02-a268-430e-b617-048591b0d9fa_zpsfthqrqng.jpg

DeanoP
7th Nov 2015, 14:56
Dhala airstrip was regularly visited by 233Sqn Valettas. You could only land and take-off one way. An overshoot on a missed approach could be a challenge. ( I think that this is Dhala).

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x2000/pict0017_898a0d1df82b8e73ec0a47686e5f2c9485c99ee7.jpeg
Edna Savage was the star attraction.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x2000/pict0029_fe74239ab510370ed9c4e92eebc25c78430f310e.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1290/pict0008_7__04a22da391f9af91cb8ec914af2f7c87cc009abc.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1340x2000/pict0025_dc2484cc0b744eb2f02017fa7bb599a6fda8b68a.jpeg

Exnomad
7th Nov 2015, 15:13
Nice to see photos from when we actually had an Air force

JW411
7th Nov 2015, 17:15
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/TAR1.JPG

Here comes some views of Tarshyne Beach which was about the only place that we could have a swim in anything like reasonable safety. From a personal point of view, it was often too bloody hot to go near the beach but you could get a cold beer and a sandwich there.

JW411
7th Nov 2015, 17:21
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/TAR2.JPG

The view facing west. Incidentally, one of my mates drank too many beers one day at Tarshyne and fell asleep in a deck chair for three hours. He was incinerated when he woke up and he swears that he shed 13 layers of skin in the process of a painful recovery.

ICM
7th Nov 2015, 17:24
I've borrowed a digital converter to use on a box of slides that I had believed long lost till recently. First up, if a bit dark, the Jungle Bar price list from the Officers' Mess:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/Old141Nav/file_6.jpg

Then, an approaching sandstorm one afternoon in June 1967:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc463/Old141Nav/file_7.jpg

JW411
7th Nov 2015, 17:29
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/TAR3.JPG

On the left can be seen the anchor point and cable for the shark net. It was alleged that there were more holes in the shark net than there are holes in a Swiss cheese but I don't actually remember anyone being bitten.

JW411
7th Nov 2015, 17:36
http://www.frpilot.com/Dad/TAR4.JPG

Finally, here is a shot of Tarshyne from seaward. We were on our way back to the Marine Craft Unit at Khormaksar after a dinghy drill. I was never keen to get in the waters around Aden and I always reckoned that it was infinitely preferable to run from the RSL to the dinghy than it was to swim.

Dougie M
7th Nov 2015, 18:51
The beach still had armed patrols each day

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/0c303345-d9e8-42b9-9074-cdeadb8b565e_zpss1fjfqv2.jpg

Dougie M
7th Nov 2015, 18:58
The best way to save your feet was to ask your girlfriend to get the drinks!

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag76/dougiemarsh/dbb633d2-5424-4ce6-8029-b139fe191a5d_zpslxbymx5y.jpg

Union Jack
7th Nov 2015, 19:22
On the left can be seen the anchor point and cable for the shark net. It was alleged that there were more holes in the shark net than there are holes in a Swiss cheese but I don't actually remember anyone being bitten.

An older friend told me of the occasion at Tarshyne when he had cut his foot on some coral but manfully carried on going in and out of the water. Up to, but not including, the point when a small boy came up to him and said, "My mother says that you'd better :mad: off out of the water." On being asked why, the small boy apparently replied, "Because my mother says that you'll attract all the bleeding sharks!":ouch:

Jack

smujsmith
7th Nov 2015, 19:43
I assume you chaps have already seen this vid, which might bring back a few memories. I post it in total ignorance, as always;

http://youtu.be/Ks-ymRuo_Z8

This offers some footage, no sound ;

http://youtu.be/D4DFyr-iRmE

Smudge :ok:

brakedwell
7th Nov 2015, 20:08

A wing commander's wife died of shock in 1959 after her leg was bitten by a shark lurking inside the net in 1959.