PDA

View Full Version : VA's first international A330 destination

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
2nd Mar 2015, 09:14
A nice change from heading west after take-off...:ok:

Virgin Australia to deploy A330 widebody on Fiji flights (http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviation/virgin-australia-to-deploy-a330-widebody-on-fiji-flights-20150302-13srez.html)

PoppaJo
2nd Mar 2015, 10:00
Due to low usage of A330s over the weekend?Regularly see 1/2 A330s sitting idle on weekends at Melbourne and Sydney (all day).

porch monkey
3rd Mar 2015, 01:28
Yes. (Plus letters to make up numbers:rolleyes:)

BTDT1963
3rd Mar 2015, 02:09
Hi ML. Long time no hear!!

smiling monkey
4th Mar 2015, 00:36
Isn't there another A330 arriving later this year? Will it do the Perth - East Coast runs, or will there be a new international destination for it too?

UnderneathTheRadar
4th Mar 2015, 01:08
Regularly see 1/2 A330s sitting idle on weekends at Melbourne and Sydney (all day)

Where is the other half sitting? :p (I'll get my coat)

Snakecharma
4th Mar 2015, 01:48
No more 330's on the way, last one delivered late last year

Going Nowhere
4th Mar 2015, 06:52
I assume they are talking ex-SYD.

bangbounceboeing
4th Mar 2015, 07:18
I would have thought that Phuket would have been a better destination utilising the A330's range. Brisbane and Melbourne flights were popular with the punters when they last operated the service.

MASTEMA
6th Mar 2015, 13:18
JB

Throw a dart at any major airport in China and send forth those stationary money making A330s.

They will be welcomed with open arms.

Build it and the 1.4 billion smiling wallets will come. :ok:

Dehavillanddriver
7th Mar 2015, 01:15
problem is that the 1.4 billion wallets are empty (well about 1.2 billion of them are) and there is no margin in operating to China.

With the rise of the big chinese carriers with significantly lower costs there isn't any way of making a profit.

Qantas has tried several times if I recall correctly and pulled out each time

Wingspar
7th Mar 2015, 01:56
Problem with VA are the owners!
SingAir have Asia covered. Any VA pax wanting to go to Asia will be put through Singapore.
Likewise anything European will go through Abu Dhabi with Etihad.
Actually I'm surprised VA operate out of Brisbane to Abu Dhabi. Don't kid yourselves. The owners will only let you do what they want you to do.

Snakecharma
7th Mar 2015, 02:00
I think even VA would be surprised to learn they operate Brisbane to Abu Dhabi!

They operate sydney - AUH.

Yeah yeah I know, back into my box :)

Sorry couldn't resist, but wingspar you are probably right though re the partners..

Wingspar
7th Mar 2015, 04:55
My apologies, I thought it was Brissy.

slice
7th Mar 2015, 05:00
With regards to the Owners having everything covered, that's true to a point but no one is going to go through Singapore to get to Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong or China from the East Coast of Australia when there are already direct services.

Ken Borough
7th Mar 2015, 05:07
slice,

The price sensitive market will travel via Oodnagallarby if a dollar can be saved. Some carriers will throw in a night's accommodation if direct connections can't be made. You'd be surprised how many punters travel to all parts of Asia via Singapore or Kuala Lumpur. The same goes for those headed to North America via Seoul, Tokyo , Taipei or HK.

Boe787
8th Mar 2015, 09:22
Will the crew op Sydney Nadi Sydney?

If so suggest with only SAT/SUN down time, that was why Fiji chosen over any asian/chinese destination!

SOPS
8th Mar 2015, 18:28
I have to agree with Ken here. Mum and Dad ( in there 80s) booked their annual overseas adventure. I add here they only travel J or F on booked tickets.

Anyway, on their latest trip to SEA, they are going on MAS J class. As the connection does not work, they are getting a Suite thrown in for two nights in KL, So they can make a smooth connection.

Metro man
8th Mar 2015, 23:43
Free nights depend on the airline, some will provide a hotel room with a transit over a certain number of hours, others specifically state that they won't no matter how long the connection. F and J tickets with the higher profit margin are obviously more likely to obtain a room.

Booking a stop over can be a good option, giving an addition to a holiday and a break in a long journey. Emirates market Dubai as a stop over point and offer some good packages, the other UAE airline are trying the same with Abu Dhabi and offer some amazingly low hotel rates and are only a two hour coach ride from DXB.

China Southern may give a free stop over in Guangzhou

POT100
9th Mar 2015, 04:16
Because of its ownership structure, VA is now just a vehicle for Air NZ,SQ and Etihad to move their pax around Australia..
VA haven't grown internationally and have limited growth Domestically..
The owners don't mind taking a hit on VAs profits coz they make millions out of shifting their pax around Australia..

It's really not a growth airline in terms of new markets, hence its share price has remained static for years..

wheels_down
9th Mar 2015, 08:00
There was a recent interview with a Virgin executive, who was questioned "Why did you buy Tiger"…...he stumbled and muttered something, what he was going to say was "Singapore made us".

Just like Singapore recently told Virgin to get ready to offer domestic connections to its long haul low cost carrier Scoot, which is now in place.

t_cas
9th Mar 2015, 09:14
Until VA's traffic rights come into play....