PDA

View Full Version : Luggages checked by the company?

Querorz
1st Mar 2015, 11:28
Hey guys,

I got a problem. I didn't know where else to ask.

I bought a ticket from Turkish Airlines , from JFK to Istanbul. But after buying the ticket , i noticed they didn't accept live fish in the airplane. :ugh:

It's too late for me. The ticket is not modifiable. And 50% of the reason i will be going there is the fishes. :uhoh:

I know that the airport security or border security won't stop me for having fishes in the luggage. Because it is not illegal(Just a couple fishes. No commercial purposes. Perfect paperwork.).

And i know that the airline officer will accept the luggage, during checking in. But what comes the next? Are luggages X-rayed again, after this point? Will i be possibly stopped by the airline company?

Thanks guys:) .

Gulfstreamaviator
1st Mar 2015, 12:07
sorry not able to resist.

glf

edi_local
1st Mar 2015, 14:18
Of course baggage is scanned after it leaves the check in area.

If your bag contains live animals, suspicious items, dangerous or forbidden goods then it will be pulled aside and looked at. It's also possible that if the airline forbids carriage of any goods in your bag then it simply won't be loaded until you dispose of those items.

As for paperwork etc, I'm not even sure US Customs would allow you to transport live fish into the country (I assume you're going back to JFK)...also they would almost certainly die on the flight, either from being hurtled around a baggage system or in the freezing cold baggage hold of the plane.

If you plan on taking them into the cabin then good luck putting them inside less than 100ml of water and a plastic bag.

Either leave the fish in Turkey or look at some kind of live animal cargo transportation as they will package and transport them properly and probably assist with the paperwork too.

El Bunto
1st Mar 2015, 15:13
FedEx have a good reputation for shipping fish and lizards ( I worked with a chap who did this a lot ).

Might be a better course of action to send the fish that way and meet them on the other end.

Querorz
1st Mar 2015, 19:36
Thanks a lot, guys. I made a little research about cargo hold of the airplanes and the conclusion i came was that it was colder than the passanger cabin but not freezing cold(If it was freezing cold, some of the beverages and liquids in luggages would explode, right? ) . I don't intend to be disrespectful. You are professionals but this is what i was told.

Unfortunately, no shipping company will carry live animals to Turkey. :ugh:

I don't know what to do. I don't...

PAXboy
1st Mar 2015, 22:22
You have been warned what will happen and you will be viewed with great suspicion if you attempt to import items which are prohibited. The Turkish authorities are not know for smiling at those who break the rules.

Querorz
2nd Mar 2015, 06:27
Pax, the point is it is neither illegal nor prohibited. It is just against the rules of the company.

edi_local
2nd Mar 2015, 09:14
If it's against the rules of the company then don't do it. You bought your tickets to fly with them and that includes adhering to their rules and regulations, if you break them then they won't take you. Your baggage will certainly not be loaded anyway if you try to put something in there that the airline doesn't allow.

dc9-32
2nd Mar 2015, 15:58
First question I would ask is why live fish ?

You are a passenger right ?