PDA

View Full Version : The man who changed the history of aviation with over 130,000 edits on Wikipedia!

simplex1
28th Feb 2015, 22:50
The man who changed the history of aviation with over 130,000 edits on Wikipedia!

Most likely you are not aware but the History of Aviation has been written starting with 2007 by roughly a single man, Michael "Bink" Knowles, known as Binksternet on Wikipedia" (see: User:Binksternet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Binksternet) ) a great fan of the Wright Brothers.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/68/Binksternet_suggesting_editors_be_logged_in.jpg
Michael "Bink" Knowles (public person), known as Binksternet on Wikipedia

Good and relatively objective texts about various aviation pioneers, that existed on Wikipedia before 2007, most of them being identical copies of articles taken from various encyclopedias, have been little by little transformed in piles of rubbish by Binksternet who has earned a lot of medals for his "contributions" ( see: User:Binksternet/Awards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Binksternet/Awards) ), so many that the entire surface of his body would not be large enough to accommodate them.

According to Binksternet, an audio engineer, the Wright Brothers invented everything possible while all other pioneers contributed nothing to the progress of mechanical flight! There is not a single page about early airplanes without multiple edits made by the abusive Binksternet who, in various forms, repeats over and over again that nothing else mattered in the early years of aviation except the Wright Brothers despite the fact nobody saw them flying or at least admired their plane on the ground before 1908, long after the public take offs and later longer flights in Europe which started in early 1906.

The Wikipedia article about the Wright Brothers is locked by this Binksternet. Only him can make edits. Other pages about aviation are also locked or semi protected by him. In case you are lucky, find an open page and make there a correction based on good primary sources, immediately Binksternet appears out of nowhere and reverts your edits or in the best case adds some defamatory remarks regarding a certain aviation pioneer, bans you, hides and archives your comments and explanations in the Talk Page, vandalizing Wikipedia and winning award after award many of them for fighting against vandalism!!

Binksternet is the man who rewrote the history of aviation with over 130,000 edits, one of his most original contributions being this one:

"Although not the first to build and fly experimental aircraft, the Wright brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls that made fixed-wing powered flight possible."
see: Wright brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_brothers)

that reigns at the top of the Wright Brothers' wiki page and basically strips them of the honor of being the first to fly!!

FlightlessParrot
1st Mar 2015, 04:19
We've been all around the Wright brothers before. Some posts were interesting, but not those by simplex1.

Please could we not transfer a Wikipedia edit war to this forum? Please.

longer ron
1st Mar 2015, 07:40
Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)

... is a mental health condition where a person has obsessive thoughts and compulsive activity.
An obsession is an unwanted and unpleasant thought, image or urge that repeatedly enters a person's mind, causing feelings of anxiety, disgust or unease.
A compulsion is a repetitive behaviour or mental act that someone feels they need to carry out to try to temporarily relieve the unpleasant feelings brought on by the obsessive thought.
For example, someone with a fear that the Wright brothers flew in 1903 may spam the internet and use 'facts' from wackypedia.
OCD symptoms can range from mild to severe. Some people with OCD may spend 24hrs a day engaged in obsessive-compulsive thinking and behaviour, but for others the condition can completely take over their (no) life.

Treatments are available :)

DaveReidUK
1st Mar 2015, 07:54
Thanks for the tip, I'd been wondering what I was going to do when I eventually retire. :O

megan
1st Mar 2015, 11:41
Posted for the benefit of readers who may not be aware of simplex1 and his obsessive compulsive (as noted by longer ron) attempts to discredit the Wright Brothers and their achievements.

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/540496-wright-brothers-just-glided-1903-they-flew-1908-a.html

victor tango
1st Mar 2015, 17:42
Why do we need to know about this fellow......it's depressin !

longer ron
1st Mar 2015, 18:13
Not just one person - they were shift working the last time they were on here - they have spammed quite a few different forums with their nonsense over the years !

Lon More
1st Mar 2015, 20:32
In Alaska? must be cabin fever, either that or he got bored playing with himself.

simplex1
2nd Mar 2015, 23:30
One thing is 100% sure, the Wright Brothers contributed nothing to the progress of powered flight because no picture or technical drawing of their alleged planes became known before 1908, a year when they appeared in France with an inferior machine to what already existed there at the time.

megan
3rd Mar 2015, 03:56
Mods, could we please shut this idiot down?

longer ron
3rd Mar 2015, 05:12
One thing is 100% sure... Megan is right

Bushfiva
3rd Mar 2015, 05:21
I dunno, 159 posts in one thread in one month deserves something. Some kind of star, perhaps.

longer ron
3rd Mar 2015, 05:54
It is not the number of posts that really count - it is the quality of the posts with reasoned arguments - this is not just 1 guy with a reasoned argument - it is at least 2 different people who have latched on to one sentence but know nothing about aviation.
They do not seem to be able to understand that most people on this forum have had a lifetime in aviation and therefore have a good grasp of the history/science/engineering .
I personally have been an aircraft technician for 45 years and also used to fly both power and gliders - and their are many more qualified people on these forums than I.

rgds LR

Bushfiva
3rd Mar 2015, 07:13
"Whoosh", LR :)

The object of his hatred has numerous awards for editing. Coincidentally, 159. OK, I lie: 60.

Haraka
3rd Mar 2015, 16:52
You cannot of course change history, only the manner in which it is reported, which is inevitably subjectively biased for a variety of reasons.

longer ron
3rd Mar 2015, 17:20
You cannot change internet trolls either ; )
The Simplex(s) must have spammed well over 10 other forums - I cannot be bothered looking to see exactly how many LOL

So - Don't feed the trolls ; )

Flybiker7000
8th Mar 2015, 16:50
AS for the Wrights I actual do speculate wheter they didn't realise the need of thoroughly documentation for the flights or they were at a worn state of inspiration wich caused the need of declaring a sensation :-/

The Danish aviator Ellehammer might be the first European to lift off by propelled flight in 1906 but isn't aknowledged by this since his experiments were done on a circular field and with the plane (Security)connected with a rope to a central pole wich couldn't the called free(!) flight.
But the Wrights succeded declaring themselves for being first, however their powered flight was done on a downsloped track and accelerated by a falling weight pulley-system catapult :-o
Another thing wich modern man tend to forget is that news didn't travel that fast and wasn't considered that reliable at the time: Seen with Danish Ellehammers eyes in 1906 was the Wright-flight only questionable rumors in the (american) newspapers!

longer ron
8th Mar 2015, 17:22
Do not fall for the spammers disinformation -

The official first flight by the Wrights was away from the Hill and on the flat beach !

Do not feed the Troll !

Flybiker7000
8th Mar 2015, 18:29
If You read Your own words again Longer Ron, there must have been a succesfull flight by the help of catapult and downsloped track, before the excercises was moved to the flat beach!
But wich flight of those did the Wrights rapport as the first??
None of us were present at Kittyhawk hence our perception of the events is solitarely out of written words. But who wrote it and have the words been twisted in the meantime ? And how much does national proudness affect on ones personal perception??

longer ron
8th Mar 2015, 19:17
The catapult was later (1905) !

The flight from the hill was dec 14th 1903 ,the brothers knew they had to take off from level ground so they moved the launching rail to level ground and flew from there on Dec 17th 1903 ; )

Please do not be taken in (misled) by conspiracy theories and internet trolls :)

rgds LR

Flybiker7000
9th Mar 2015, 21:59
This is quite my own considerations, Longer Ron. I only found opportunity to share them here!
How about the Smitsonian(?) Flyer replica: Have it been brought seriously into air from level ground?

megan
10th Mar 2015, 01:23
This is quite my own considerations, Longer Ron. I only found opportunity to share them here!
Flybiker7000, your considerations are incorrect, and the subject has been done to death in this link. You're just going over old ground and it's not worth repeating. Read the link.

http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/540496-wright-brothers-just-glided-1903-they-flew-1908-a.html

Fantome
10th Mar 2015, 01:58
as has probably been said on similar forums and threads of late
the Wrights' archive is huge. This fact should not warrant
repeating, except that persons who put themselves forward as
authorities on the subject of the origins of powered, controlled
flight should understand, at the very least, the need to refrain
from launching into print, in a critical fashion, unless their
knowledge of the bulk of credible sources is equal or superior
to that of qualified researchers and writers who have dedicated
the better part of their lives to the detailed study of their subject.

barit1
10th Mar 2015, 02:44
The Wrights' claim of primacy (if I may use the word in this context) was 1) self-powered with no external launch assistance (although a rail kept the takeoff straight); 2) Controllable in three axes; 3) landing undamaged on ground no lower than the point of takeoff.

This was enabled by the strong steady wind on the Outer Banks, meaning they didn't have to accelerate to a high ground speed to achieve flight.

The catapult launch device was not used until the following years when they had moved flight operations to Huffman Prairie, near their home in Dayton. Winds were less help there, and the catapult filled that void.

barit1
10th Mar 2015, 02:53
One can thus see by the very nature of the claims that the Wrights understood the basic challenges of powered flight (control and performance), and had successfully overcome them.

To me, this alone sets the Wrights far ahead of their contemporaries.

Captain Dart
10th Mar 2015, 06:56
Yep, controlled, sustained, documented and repeated.