PDA

View Full Version : Medical requirements for Dispatcher role in UK

Swinny
28th Feb 2015, 17:45
Looking for advice on medical requirements for Dispatcher role in UK, I wear a hearing aid to correct hearing in right ear, should this hold me back in passing the medical for this position?

Any advice gratefully received

Bigbluebroxi
1st Mar 2015, 18:12
Dispatcher as in turnaround coordinator?

I wouldn't imagine so as there is no medical required. It might prevent you from getting an airside driving permit, but that's not a necessity at any of the airports you are close to.

If you mean dispatcher as in flight planner then I can;t help, sorry.

750XL
1st Mar 2015, 18:43
I know a few ramp lads who wear hearing aids (no surprise really is it?) and they have no problems obtaining an airside licence, at my local airport at least.

Ihadadream
1st Mar 2015, 19:56
UK Dispatcher? Not a licensed position - no medical requirements.

Per FAA - Many working Flight Dispatchers wear hearing aids. As long as you can hear normal with the use of a hearing aid, you can perform the duties of a Flight Dispatcher! Color blindness is not a problem either in this field. Controllable diabetes is also usually not a factor in getting hired

Swinny
2nd Mar 2015, 16:52
Thank you for your responses. Now - how do I address the problem with the ground handling agent?

LGWXOPSA
2nd Mar 2015, 18:26
What problem?. I wouldn't have thought there would have been one personally. Sorry if that isn't much help!

Swinny
2nd Mar 2015, 18:44
I had a great interview, only to learn later that due to me wearing a hearing aid this would prevent me from obtaining airside driving permit, even though I used to be an ADI, - Approved Driving Instructor.

Should I go back to the agent and ask them to reconsider?

MEZEGPD
6th Mar 2015, 18:33
I would ask them to reconsider.
To attain an airside driving permit in a UK airport you must go through a medical assessment by a doctor which includes a hearing test.
If you pass that then there is no reason why they should not employ you on those grounds.

Regards,

MEZ