PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding in public

alwayzinit
27th Feb 2015, 06:01
"Bride cancels wedding reception after hotel staff 'tell her to breastfeed in disabled toilet".

To quote Mr Wogan "Is it me?"

Mrs A breastfed both our 2, now fully grown,however, at no stage did she become a radicalized breastfeeding zealot.

Why do we seem to have young mums wishing to shove breastfeeding in our faces, as it were, without a thought to how others may find the whole gurgling, slurping and burping palaver a touch too intimate for general public consumption?

I know breastfeeding is "a perfectly normal and natural thing" really I do. However, there are other functions that fall into that category that we, as a society, have designated "Not for public viewing or display".

I am delighted that new mums are returning to the source rather than the bottle. It is very good thing on many levels.

Though I do find the "I am a New Life Maker I can do what the hell I like" attitude quite childish and selfish.

All I ask is for a bit of discretion and consideration of others who, by the law of averages have been there, done it (Mrs A) and have the vomit down the back of the T shirt (Me) to prove it.

Hat, coat, door, body armour...............exit!

toffeez
27th Feb 2015, 06:27
It is more natural and less revolting than seeing two men kissing in the hotel bar

sitigeltfel
27th Feb 2015, 07:04
I once saw a mother changing her babies nappy on a table in a quiet corner of a restaurant.

Hydromet
27th Feb 2015, 07:05
Most women who breast feed in public seem able to do so discreetly, in a way could cause no embarrassment or offence to any reasonable person. Of course, there are always those few who go out of their way to make a point - this applies to both mothers and those who complain.

probes
27th Feb 2015, 07:32
couldn't be better said than Hydromet did. :ok:

ShyTorque
27th Feb 2015, 07:55
Agreed. Nothing worse than those who spout off (so to speak) about stuff that most deal with quietly and without drama.

But someone has to keep Jeremy Vine of Radio 2 in a job, I suppose.

bcgallacher
27th Feb 2015, 08:06
I do not think that the vast majority of the population gives a toss about this - I suspect the media came up with it on a slack news day.

rh200
27th Feb 2015, 09:02
There was a free the nipple campaign on, I'm all for it, yes ladys get your T!tties out. Get the little tyke sucking on it in wide open view:ok:.

Oh gee wizz, thats why its usually done discreetly:p.

rgbrock1
27th Feb 2015, 13:08
I have nothing against a woman breastfeeding in public. Nothing against it at all.

Free your boobs. :}:ok::E

rgbrock1
27th Feb 2015, 14:32
Basil,

Does this mean that you tried breastfeeding the woman's baby, or tried breastfeeding FROM the woman? :}:E:eek:

Mac the Knife
27th Feb 2015, 14:35
"Most women who breast feed in public seem able to do so discreetly, in a way could cause no embarrassment or offence to any reasonable person. Of course, there are always those few who go out of their way to make a point - this applies to both mothers and those who complain."

Well said! But of course there are always the "bed-sniffers" willing and able to take offence at anything and on anyone else's behalf.

But they can only "make a point" if folks react to it - and why should they? It's only a lactating boob after all - big friken deal.... Ya think breasts are going to corrupt children (who fed on them as babies)? Asseblief!

I'm an African, so the sight of women breast feeding in public is normal to me - the breast in Africa is not seen as something particularly erotic or a dreadful danger to public morals!

Mac

:cool:

PS: There are also 3.5 billion vulva in the world (and penises) and 6.9 billion arseholes (some bigger than others I admit...), so it's hardly a deep dark secret!

:rolleyes:

11Fan
27th Feb 2015, 14:37
Next time just belly up to the bar. ;)

Capot
27th Feb 2015, 14:50
Most women who breast feed in public seem able to do so discreetly, in a way could cause no embarrassment or offence to any reasonable person.The point is that anyone who is embarrassed, or, worse, takes offence on seeing a woman breast-feeding a baby has got a problem.

It is no part of the woman's responsibility to take any notice of that person's mental difficulties, any more than it is part of my responsibility to allow for people with an irrational dislike of hats by not wearing one.

In short, if a naked boob, with or without a child attached, sends you screaming for the exit due to your embarrassment or offence taken by you, go and see a psychiatrist, or maybe just grow up. Or both.

Octopussy2
27th Feb 2015, 15:11
Capot:D:D:D:D

rgbrock1
27th Feb 2015, 15:16
Cabot wrote

In short, if a naked boob, with or without a child attached, sends you screaming for the exit due to your embarrassment or offence taken by you, go and see a psychiatrist, or maybe just grow up. Or both.

Because life is too short not to appreciate a nice pair*. (Of boobs)

*Lesson #1 in Slasher's Guide to a Woman's Anatomy

:}:}:}

MagnusP
27th Feb 2015, 15:24
Capot is quite correct. Now I'm a (fairly) normal bloke, and I'm more than happy on the correct occasion to think "Phwooaarr, that's tasty", but when I see a mother breastfeeding I think "That's tender; I like that". MrsP breastfed both magnusdottirs whenever and wherever, and the only comment ever made was at a party when a mate looked across and said "Jeez, dottir2, if you blow that up any further, it'll explode!". :p

BillHicksRules
27th Feb 2015, 15:25
Capot,

Well said sir, well said.

panda-k-bear
27th Feb 2015, 15:31
I don't mind at all. But if they do it in public, then they can't object to being watched.

G-CPTN
27th Feb 2015, 15:53
One of my earliest memories is of seeing a child being breastfed.

I confess that I am attracted and excited by well-proportioned female breasts, but I 'switch off' whenever I see breastfeeding - that doesn't mean I disapprove. On the contrary, I applaud breastfeeding for what it is - the original purpose of breasts - it's just that I don't find it exciting.

Likewise I think the sight of a heavily pregnant female is 'magnificent' - though in no way exciting.

There is, for me, a Chinese Wall between the activities.

Exascot
27th Feb 2015, 16:15
It is not on. I don't want a mother flopping out her droopy post child birth boob in a pub when I am trying to enjoy a pint. My response is always to ask if the other one is free. I once got into big trouble with a very large husband over this one :eek:

Now, if a perky young girl wants to get out her pert little..... no this will get me banned. Endex.

dazdaz1
27th Feb 2015, 16:28
G-CPTN.... My thoughts exactly. Saved me elaborating.

Exascot...."Now, if a perky young girl wants to get out her pert little" Lets not go down the Garry road, It'll end in tears:E

ShyTorque
27th Feb 2015, 16:32
I have nothing against a nice pair of breasts.

I'm always willing to offer support.

BWSBoy6
27th Feb 2015, 16:49
It's fascinating how a discussion about boobs always starts a mass debate........

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Feb 2015, 16:59
What capot said. x100!

dazdaz1
27th Feb 2015, 17:03
Talking of beer, Rab C working on a hand full of the younger Nicola Sturgeon.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/dazdaz1/Rab_C_n_Mary_Hen_zpse6hd7p4v.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/dazdaz1/media/Rab_C_n_Mary_Hen_zpse6hd7p4v.jpg.html)

RatherBeFlying
27th Feb 2015, 17:45
Generally the little nipper latches on so quick that the only thing on public display for more than a blink is the back of said nipper's head.

con-pilot
27th Feb 2015, 18:09
Well with me it depends on just how close the mother and child are when the mother breast feeds the baby. Across the room, a large room no problem. But right next to me, naw, I don't like it.

Now why am I this way? Don't know and at this age, don't care and am not going to take the time to figure it out. In fact this issue is so far down on the list of things I'm currently worried about, I'm never going to worry about it.

As for those that claim breast feeding is a natural bodily function, well so is having a bowel movement. So I'll make a deal, don't breast feed your kid in front of me in public and I will not have a bowel movement in front of you in public.

Sounds like a deal to me. :ok:

con-pilot
27th Feb 2015, 18:15
Back again with a question.

At what age, in general, do you folks think that breast feeding should stop?

Oh, in public or not.

Cheers. :ok:

The reason I’m asking, I remember seeing a photo of Jane Fonda breast feeding her son when he was five or six years old. I’ve always thought that was a bit too old. As far as I know, her son was completely normal physically, so no medical reason for him to be breast fed at his age.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Feb 2015, 18:15
Breastfeeding in public is 100 lashes in any 'enlightened' country, isn't it?

Wan Wei Luke
27th Feb 2015, 18:20
So I'll make a deal, don't breast feed your kid in front of me in public and I will not have a bowel movement in front of you in public.

Every bloke here agrees to your terms. But at your age, can you guarantee it? :E

racedo
27th Feb 2015, 18:27
Little uns were breastfed and SWMBO tried to be as discreet as possible, in actual fact I always note that mums wish to be discreet as keeps the little one latched on by their not making a fuss.

Must admit if ever in a restaurant where a mum is asked to cover up or leave I fully intend to make a scene.

Kind of hard for management to say guests are upset when guests get asked for their opinions and aren't.

Remembering in one restaurant when littlie being fed, waiter noticed in, something was said to manager who I figured was going to ask to stop and ready with indignation. Instead manager brought over a cushion and said maybe it will help in resting baby on.

con-pilot
27th Feb 2015, 18:40
But at your age, can you guarantee it

100%! :ok:

So far...:\

racedo
27th Feb 2015, 18:52
I prefer not to be confroned/affronted by sexual acts commited in public.

If you think breastfeeding of a child is a sexual act then you really need therapy.

ShyTorque
27th Feb 2015, 18:55
A baby seen as sexually perverted?
I think some raw edges are now beginning to show!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Feb 2015, 18:56
Breastfeeding a sexual act? Well it can be, but not in the context of this thread.

Breastfeeding is what breasts are for. And when little ones want feeding, they want feeding.

IMHO there's nothing in the least unpleasant about it being done in public. In fact I think it's quite a delightful sight, and a reminder in a busy and often artificial world of who we are what is really important in life.

The problem is only inside the heads of those objecting to it. Such unfortunates should deal with it, and not project their problems onto breastfeeding mums.

con-pilot
27th Feb 2015, 19:08
Breastfeeding a sexual act?

Must say I never thought of it that way, don't really see anything sexual about it. Perhaps I did when I was 13 or so, course about everything seemed sexual to me back then.

But to each his own I guess.

gingernut
27th Feb 2015, 19:35
I suspect the problem is more to do with the observers, than with the mum and babe.

Breast feeding is natural in my world. Ater a while, you don't even notice it.

Breast is best :-)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
27th Feb 2015, 20:55
Henry - don't project it; the problem's yours, deal with it.

Ancient Mariner
27th Feb 2015, 21:44
I'll take breast feeding in public any time to old farts with saggy tits and flabby bellies with hair sprouting out of every visible orifice. Particularly at feeding time, my feeding time.
Per

parabellum
27th Feb 2015, 22:25
I'd rather the mum sat there and quietly breast fed her baby than the baby lay there screaming its poor little head off, any day.

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Feb 2015, 22:34
I'd rather the mum sat there and quietly breast fed her baby than the baby lay there screaming its poor little head off, any day.
I've seen a desperate mother with a screaming baby, obviously too embarassed to feed it in public, trying (obviously vainly) to shut it up by other means. I felt like saying "FFS shove a tit in its mouth, then we can all get some peace and quiet", but you never know what's going to happen to you if you say something like that these days.

Shack37
27th Feb 2015, 22:49
[QUOTE]I don't mind at all. But if they do it in public, then they can't object to being watched.

Whatever turns you on:rolleyes:

skyking1
28th Feb 2015, 00:18
I grew up in a breastfeeding family, and my mom taught breastfeeding to difficult cases at the hospital. I never once saw a woman breastfeeding that did not involve a cloth or smallish blanket at least to get things started, so no naked breast found. It is a non-issue.

Eddie Dean
28th Feb 2015, 00:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-AAN6oB5c

Just saying

fitliker
28th Feb 2015, 01:48
Relax folks ,it is just a baby being fed.

Comments like "When the baby has finished lunch, can I do the dishes ?" are not appreciated by women whose babies are teething :)

Tinstaafl
28th Feb 2015, 02:59
I have no problem with breastfeeding in public. None at all. Unfortunately, the mums that I see doing it keep slapping me when I ask them to let me join in.... :}

RJM
28th Feb 2015, 06:09
Everything is going to be ok...

Under Greens policy item HE311.ii it will be "an offence to stop nursing mothers from breastfeeding their children in public places."

A Greens government would also work to restrict the sale and use of baby formula (read 'as produced by evil multinational companies like Nestlé') as part of its program to encourage breastfeeding.

ChickenHouse
28th Feb 2015, 09:02
Even if women giving breast would do this with natural attitude and adopted to their current environment, we will still face the bedsniffer - as on the opposite there are too many women provoking and offending their environment with ostentation on that behalf. Will there be a general solution for the discussion? I think not.

ExXB
28th Feb 2015, 10:26
Here you go Henry, Breastfeeding ruins your day (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dw2XHMUnyE)

ShyTorque
28th Feb 2015, 14:44
Looks like someone suffered a repressed childhood! Wet nurse indeed :rolleyes:

The perversity of the situation is that some folk see it as perfectly normal and acceptable to look at pictures of bare breasted women in cheap tat newspapers for their personal "titillation", but not to see them being used for the real purpose for which they were designed.

Capot
28th Feb 2015, 19:57
Oh dear, that's me done with, then.

Now I can't use my nose for breathing through in public, or even sneezing in public, I'll hand in my dinner pail, after a final session in the pub. I hope to God no-one takes offence while I'm using my nose during that. I'm so lucky that I've got away with it so far, but I do see that it's time to stop offending.

Going back to another remark, I suspect that equating breast-feeding with having a crap, on the scale of public offensiveness that some people seem to work with, is not a view that everyone would share. Especially a baby.

con-pilot
28th Feb 2015, 20:37
Capot

I suspect that equating breast-feeding with having a crap, on the scale of public offensiveness that some people seem to work with, is not a view that everyone would share.

Now why am I this way? Don't know and at this age, don't care and am not going to take the time to figure it out. In fact this issue is so far down on the list of things I'm currently worried about, I'm never going to worry about it.

Learn to live with it. :rolleyes:

Capot
1st Mar 2015, 00:54
Yes, thanks, Con, we heard you the first time. Of course you don't have to be bothered about why you feel this way, and no-one expects you to, especially at your age.

It seemed worthwhile to suggest that many people may not share your view of it, but I don't think you need to be defensive or touchy about it. It's your hangup and you're entitled to it.

I only wish I could be there when you teach a lesson to a breast-feeding lady in a restaurant, say, by dropping your pants for a quick dump, but I bet I'll miss it. It's the story of my life.

prospector
1st Mar 2015, 00:57
Learn to live with it.

If you are referring to breast feeding in public then your statement has merit.

If, however you are referring to I suspect that equating breast-feeding with having a crap then by far the majority of people, I would think, would prefer not to learn to live with it.

phyxit
1st Mar 2015, 01:43
Mr. Capot: Thank you! :D :D

For those suggesting that babies (or indeed anybody) should be fed in bathrooms or that breastfeeding is in any way sexual or disgusting, or sexual and/or disgusting... I'm tempted to suggest that you seek therapy.

Signed; Father of two, both breastfed and now grown.

bcgallacher
1st Mar 2015, 10:55
Henry - I too am astonished that there are people who make an issue of this for reasons that I really do not comprehend.

Stanwell
1st Mar 2015, 11:27
Well, it had been suggested earlier that it must have been a 'slow news day'.
I'll go one further and say I reckon I can guess which newspaper the article appeared in.
Any bets?

OFSO
1st Mar 2015, 15:19
Is it the act of a baby feeding or the sight of bare breasts that upsets some people ? The former: hmmmmm: can be a messy business. But if it's the latter I suggest any of you lot coming to Spain avert your eyes when walking along the sea front here....

dazdaz1
1st Mar 2015, 15:29
OFSO......."But if it's the latter I suggest any of you lot coming to Spain avert your eyes when walking along the sea front here"

OMG!!! Your not walking along the beach again 'Banus' in Speedos???? My pet poodle needed treatment from the local vet;)

wings folded
1st Mar 2015, 15:30
Back again with a question.

At what age, in general, do you folks think that breast feeding should stop?

Oh, in public or not.

Cheers.

The reason I’m asking, I remember seeing a photo of Jane Fonda breast feeding her son when he was five or six years old. I’ve always thought that was a bit too old. As far as I know, her son was completely normal physically, so no medical reason for him to be breast fed at his age.

Can't give a precise age, con, but if the sprog is simultaneously sending text messages on its smartphone, I think that the ideal age has been surpassed

Blues&twos
1st Mar 2015, 15:45
Ha ha ha! In the UK at the moment there's a TV advertisement for infant powdered "follow-on milk", which rather disturbingly says "...if you decide to stop breastfeeding" rather than "...when you decide to stop breastfeeding". :eek:

OFSO
1st Mar 2015, 19:18
Your not walking along the beach again 'Banus' in Speedos????

Myself, I never go near the beach. I'm a Mountain Man, hence may be found inland..... I used to like walking along the Front at Eastbourne looking at the plunging grey Atlantic waves, but the cissy blue stuff we have here holds no appeal for me.

OFSO
1st Mar 2015, 21:23
Not at all ! It's the same water, just a bit around the corner.

Blues&twos
1st Mar 2015, 21:49
Not an expert oceanographer, but isn't the English Channel/Irish Sea classed as the "north Atlantic current"?

probes
2nd Mar 2015, 07:46
There are several body parts which are designed for specific biological purpose(s) but none of these should be done in public. This is especially so when the parts are gender-specific.
hm. What about the mouth, and eating associated with it? Licking lips, when the fodder happens to be of the subjectively-tasty-kind? Or cocktails, with a... no, it's too abhorrous.

you can't have been serious, Henry? :uhoh:

david1300
2nd Mar 2015, 07:54
I prefer not to be confroned/affronted by sexual acts commited in public.

Permit one overt perversion and you'll have to permit all the others.
What a sick point of view - that breastfeeding is (a) a sexual act, and (b) that it's a perversion. :ugh:

Most women who breast feed in public seem able to do so discreetly, in a way could cause no embarrassment or offence to any reasonable person. Of course, there are always those few who go out of their way to make a point - this applies to both mothers and those who complain.
Agreed

The point is that anyone who is embarrassed, or, worse, takes offence on seeing a woman breast-feeding a baby has got a problem.

It is no part of the woman's responsibility to take any notice of that person's mental difficulties, any more than it is part of my responsibility to allow for people with an irrational dislike of hats by not wearing one.

:ok::ok:

...IMHO there's nothing in the least unpleasant about it being done in public. In fact I think it's quite a delightful sight, and a reminder in a busy and often artificial world of who we are what is really important in life.

The problem is only inside the heads of those objecting to it. Such unfortunates should deal with it, and not project their problems onto breastfeeding mums.

...Going back to another remark, I suspect that equating breast-feeding with having a crap, on the scale of public offensiveness that some people seem to work with, is not a view that everyone would share. Especially a baby.

...For those suggesting that babies (or indeed anybody) should be fed in bathrooms or that breastfeeding is in any way sexual or disgusting, or sexual and/or disgusting... I'm tempted to suggest that you seek therapy.

Signed; Father of two, both breastfed and now grown.
Agree absolutely

radeng
2nd Mar 2015, 10:52
I would feel unhappy with the situation in post #3 - changing a nappy in a restaurant - purely on hygiene grounds. But breast feeding is a different matter. Somewhere about 25 years ago, on a BA Club Class flight to Hong Kong, a woman was breast feeding her baby and some officious pratt objected. Got well slapped down (figuratively speaking)by the male purser!

OFSO
2nd Mar 2015, 11:04
I suppose you'll say it's the Pacific,

Nah. It's the Pacific off Aberdeen, though, you ask anyone who swims there regularly....although probably the women don't swim topless there.

MagnusP
2nd Mar 2015, 12:00
. . . and if they did, half of them would look like trawl nets.

panda-k-bear
2nd Mar 2015, 12:26
But there are otherwise sane people on this thread advocating public vulgarity.

Oh, dear Henry, it seems you are in a minority to think that breastfeeding equates to vulgarity - or sexual perversion, or a sexual act (full stop). Why do you consider breastfeeding to be vulgar? Do you consider your right not to be at risk of seeing a boob in case you can't control your impulses to trump those of a hungry baby?

What do you think might happen if you did see a brief flash of boob, dear Henry?

Fliegenmong
2nd Mar 2015, 12:34
There be lots of fine suntanned naked boobs around these parts, yet to find one offending though! :cool:

Ancient Mariner
2nd Mar 2015, 13:19
Not even the milky whites are offending to me, and I'm not even a breast aficionado.
Per

ExXB
2nd Mar 2015, 14:48
In some places, for example Canada, exposing a breast or two is not a crime for either Gender. It is not indecent exposure, it is not vulgar.

Now there are some Canadians who I hope do not decide to go topless in public. Rob Ford, the ex-mayor of Toronto is top of that list.

Lonewolf_50
2nd Mar 2015, 14:54
The hand wringing over this matter strikes me as "a First World Problem." Glad to see some folks are spending obsessing over this. :p

Interested Passenger
2nd Mar 2015, 16:09
Problems like this need to stand up to the 'explain it to an alien' test.

Alien- Why is the small human eating the large human
Human - It's called breastfeeding, it's disgusting
A - What's disgusting about it?
H - Everything, it's just wrong, and disgusting.
A - oh.
A - Coffee?
H - yes please
A- Milk?
H - just a little
A - Is this the same milk the baby wants?
H - Oh no, that would be yucky. We are civilised, we don't drink that.
A - So what's this then?
H - This is milk, from cows.
A - Cows?
H - Yes, cows. 700kg bovines of limited intelligence, held captive on farms where they are made pregnant to produce large amounts of milk which is extracted by machines
A - And you think breastfeeding is disgusting?

rh200
3rd Mar 2015, 00:30
I don't think breast feeding is disgusting, neither is the breast. But.

In our culture, and much of that around the world, the human female breast is regarded as a sex organ, has been for millina. How much of that is culture based or genetic is open for debate.

There are some schools of thought that the human female breast has evolved differently to other comparable mammals to act as an attractant.

The penis is purely an organ designed to inject semen into the reproductive organs of the female of the species, do we regard that as disgusting? Are all you people saying a bloke should be able to walk down the street naked with his tockley flopping from side to side?

Societies are built on values, and people following social norms, it is possible to desensitize our selves to things, after all how many men do you see on a nudist beach with a boner?

The question is, do we want to desensitize our selves to the breast?

As for the baby, we have been bringing up children for thousands of years, they don't need to be feed down to the second they want it. In fact, it can be argued that making them wait for a bit is a better thing. Ingrain psychologically at an early age you don't get what you want just because you want it.

Eddie Dean
3rd Mar 2015, 03:42
the human female breast is regarded as a sex organ:hmm::hmm:

david1300
3rd Mar 2015, 07:50
...In our culture, and much of that around the world, the human female breast is regarded as a sex organ, has been for millina. How much of that is culture based or genetic is open for debate...

For heaven's sake :} I think most here can differentiate between the beautiful act of a mum feeding her bub, and a stripper in a 'gentleman's club' :confused:

ExXB
3rd Mar 2015, 08:46
We have been discussing feeding of children and a mothers right to do so in Public. I see nothing wrong or vulgar with this.

Recently some women have been campaigning to "free the nipple", or seeking the same laws for women as for men. I see nothing wrong or vulgar with this either.

I am not talking about being topless in all public situations but don't think it is wrong for a woman to choose to be topless in the same situations as men choose to bare their breasts. Nothing wrong or vulgar either.

rh200
3rd Mar 2015, 10:56
I think your missing the point, its not whats hanging off it thats the problem. Personally I don't give a sh!t.

But the fact remains, we have successfully been feeding our children for how long with no problems. The issue is just another leftist idealogical push, as such you get push back.

If you put the issue amongst all the other so called non issues over the last several decades, you can see why there is push back.

Eddie Dean

Not to sure what your point is, but maybe you need to go to a news agent and have a browse or talk to most of the male population on what they think of breasts:E. Also most females also are aware of their affect on the brain dead sex, and rather appropriately frown and shake their heads:p

RedhillPhil
3rd Mar 2015, 10:59
Hence the old one that goes;
"how do you make 5lb of fat attractive to a man"?
Put a nipple on it.

Shack37
3rd Mar 2015, 11:12
But the fact remains, we have successfully been feeding our children for how
long with no problems. The issue is just another leftist idealogical push, as
such you get push back

Baby probably is not not bothered whether it be left or right.

Don´t know exactly how long we´ve been doing it but certainly a lot longer than some on here have been disgusted by it. Anybody know just when some people decided it was vulgar and women shouldn´t do it in public? Victorian era maybe, typical of the hypocrisy of back then.

Some people would be happier just staying home.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Mar 2015, 11:13
walk down the street naked with his tockley flopping from side to side?

Tockley? Never too late to learn a new word, and it's a new one on me!

panda-k-bear
3rd Mar 2015, 12:34
Are all you people saying a bloke should be able to walk down the street naked with his tockley flopping from side to side?

Were a breastfeeding mother to walk down the street with whatever baby word you choose to use for breasts flopping from side to side, a) the baby wouldn't be able to latch on and b) she'd be lactating all over the place, especially if the baby were to be crying.

So it isn't really comparable, is it?

And a breast is not a sex organ, it's a part of the human anatomy specifically designed, primarily, to feed babies. The secondary use is one of attraction; not the primary and it isn't an organ...

I'm a little to the left of Atilla the Hun and I don't object to it, so it isn't a liberal/socialist thing. It's just a thing.

Other than that, flawless argument.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Mar 2015, 12:39
Sprogs in these parts get a chunk of biltong to keep 'em quiet. I suppose you lot just have to work with what you have available...:}:ok:

ShyTorque
3rd Mar 2015, 15:05
What do you think might happen if you did see a brief flash of boob, dear Henry?

From what's been said, I should imagine a fit of the vapours.

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Mar 2015, 15:39
Break into frenzied Caucasian Knee Dancing?:}

dazdaz1
3rd Mar 2015, 15:42
Could not the mother (prior, knowingly being in the public place) make a bottle up of early baby milk substitute to feed the s**t machine:rolleyes:

Eddie Dean
3rd Mar 2015, 20:48
RH200 the "point" being that a breast isn't an organ of sex

Seldomfitforpurpose
3rd Mar 2015, 22:17
Breast feeding in public is a perfectly natural thing but so is the discomfort that some feel when its done overtly. If as a society we think it right that in public we should do our utmost to be courteous to others why should a campaign that deliberately causes offence be seen as a good thing?

rh200
4th Mar 2015, 00:38
RH200 the "point" being that a breast isn't an organ of sex

Precisely define sex? One could argue that the vagina and penis is purely organs of reproduction. The devil is in the detail.

As for the breast purpose, refer back to its design in humans, yes the mammary glands themselves are designed for feeding.

Also it goes back to, the baby does not have to be feed on the spot. Our societies are made up of values, considering the left keep sprouting about respecting peoples cultures, it is amazing how critical they can be on a subject they don't believe in.

I mean look at it, statements like "its a beautiful act". F%^k me its a mammal feeding its another mammal from a science view point. At a deeper level its purely one biological mechanism suppling fuel to another biological mechanism.

david1300
4th Mar 2015, 07:12
...I mean look at it, statements like "its a beautiful act". F%^k me its a mammal feeding its another mammal from a science view point. At a deeper level its purely one biological mechanism suppling fuel to another biological mechanism.

Yes, from a scientific point of view, it's a mammal feeding it's offspring. Biologically, it's a mechanism for providing fuel :yuk:

Emotionally, it's probably the most caring act a helpless babe can experience at that time in it's life (and I'm not talking about the 'outside the norm' breastfeeding of toddlers), and a wonderful bonding time. My children weren't just mammals or biological mechanisms - they were precious, needy and feeling. They were potential Nobel Prize-winners or axe-murderers; Florence Nightingales or Drug Dealers; and anything in-between. It was up to their mum and me to try and help them be the best they could, and it started with showing them love when they were hungry (or even when they were too young to know that the pain the were experiencing was hunger).

I suspect from some responses here, however, that we do have a large proportion of mere mammals and biological mechanisms on this thread. :p Certainly many opinionated and unloving ones :*

Seldomfitforpurpose
4th Mar 2015, 07:48
But David does that love need to given overtly or should it be given tastefully and in sympathy with your surroundings?

rh200
4th Mar 2015, 07:55
So ball parking the situation, what your saying is your values and culture are more important than another persons values and culture, and hence should have priority over anyone elses feelings?

david1300
4th Mar 2015, 10:05
Maybe we are seeing different examples. In the last 2 weeks I have seen 4 women breastfeeding, but none in the year before. They were:
1 A woman that I guessed to be 30 kg overweight, cradling and nursing her bub. Her half-exposed breast appeared to be the size of the babies head. Some might think it gross, but all I saw as I walked by was the beautiful smile of the mum and the contented little dark face. No one seemed to be paying any attention.
2 The 19 yo unmarried daughter of a friend. After dinner at their house she sat with us all and fed her 3-week old bub. None of the family and friends showed or did anything negative or showed any discomfort, and the only attention paid was when bub had finished and was passed to gran for the post feed burp.
3 The late 20s married foster daughter of friends feeding her 8 month old son during an afternoon visit. Her hubby and foster dad and me were there, and it was as natural as if she had bottle-fed. I don't think there was the slightest sexual vibe in the room.
4 In an airport departure lounge as I sat down with a coffee I noticed a fairly attractive mum cradling her young baby a table away, and smiled at her because it was just such a loving scene. She smiled back and carried on cradling her bub. A few minutes later I noticed her changing position and realised that she had been breastfeeding and was changing sides. Again we caught eyes, and exchanged smiles as any natural friendly strangers might. If anyone else had noticed I don't know. I cannot say if anyone was offended.

That's my recent experience, and overwhelmingly the feeling I saw demonstrated was love. All the instances were just so natural, discreet, and not at all sexual.

rh200
4th Mar 2015, 10:30
That's my recent experience, and overwhelmingly the feeling I saw demonstrated was love. All the instances were just so natural, discreet, and not at all sexual.

Personally I don't find most of the ones I see as sexual either, but your failing to see the root cause of the situation.

Society has values, they change with time. The breast is a body part that is scene as sexual, sometimes in some places its exposure is governed by laws. This is neither right or wrong, its culture.

Like everything else to do with morality, some people are rather passionate about their views. Others just don't want to give an inch on their values out of principle.

Various mothers when breastfeeding in public go to various extent to be discreet or not even at all. As I said before, I personally don't care. But the fact is, we are coming from an evolving society where we are slowly but surely uncovering more, me again, no problem with that. But there are significant amounts of people and cultures that do care.

Curious Pax
4th Mar 2015, 10:36
Society has values, they change with time.

Too true, and some people have trouble adapting. I guess the question is should the change be pushed back against because a minority can't deal with it? I would say not.

panda-k-bear
4th Mar 2015, 12:26
The breast is a body part that is scene as sexual

Not everywhere and not in every context. That's what you don't seem to be grasping.

It seems to be a peculiarly puritanical Anglo-Saxon thing. How can you be offended by a breast, for pities sake? Is it because of Page 3 you all have this weird attitude/hang up?

Some will find offence in anything and everything.

rh200
4th Mar 2015, 12:48
Too true, and some people have trouble adapting.

Preaching to the choir.

I guess the question is should the change be pushed back against because a minority can't deal with it? I would say not.

Change for the sake of change is not necessarily good. Not all change is good, everyone has their own opinion on moral values. Like one mans freedom fighter is anthers terrorist, morality is purely from your own perspective.

So when did it become a minority view that it shouldn't be done in public? It certainly hasn't always been that way. Personally I would think the vast majority at the moment couldn't care each way. But that said, I haven't seen any polls, and there has been a lot of effort put in by the left with the media to try and normalize the practice.

Not everywhere and not in every context. That's what you don't seem to be grasping.

Hardly, I have stated that every one has different views on it, and not all cultures view it the same. I have also stated there is some scientific view points stating that we are hardwired that way.

It seems to be a peculiarly puritanical Anglo-Saxon thing.

Whilst we do seem to be a bit more repressed from the continental powers, that is not entirely true. The view of the breast and its effect in regards to sexuality has been around for thousands of years across many cultures.

How can you be offended by a breast, for pities sake?

Cultures, maybe you should read up on some and understand every one has their own, and are entitled to it, they have as much right to be offended against a view as you are.

Is it because of Page 3 you all have this weird attitude/hang up?

Weird is a view point generally reserved to a statistical small sample of a population in regards to a subject. For example being gay was once regarded as weired, now it s normal. We can assign weired to all sorts of things, but its only a view point.

In regards too the "page 3" example, you are talking about a significantly large amount of the male population, hence couldn't be regarded as weired. In fact not admiring the breast if your a male could be regarded as weird. If indeed what you say was true in regards to page weirdness, you would find most of those people would want breastfeeding in public.

Seldomfitforpurpose
4th Mar 2015, 13:28
Some will find offence in anything and everything.

Also some will only find offence in a few things, are you suggesting offence should simply be ignored across the board?

OFSO
4th Mar 2015, 14:59
was changing sides

I didn't know this was necessary. I thought they were connected internally, like the wing tanks on an aircraft.

Does a mother have to remember which side was last drained and how much ?

One lives and learns.

Stanwell
4th Mar 2015, 15:14
I've a little bit of trouble remembering back that far...
but if I wasn't entirely happy, I had a dummy shoved in my mouth - Wasn't nearly as good. :*

dazdaz1
4th Mar 2015, 16:17
OFSO.. Good point, I would imagine gravity plays a part as to balance. Having said that, I have read that mothers (not all) are breast feeding children to the age of 3-4 years old!!!!

When attending pre school, does the teacher flop a tit out?

Eddie Dean
4th Mar 2015, 20:01
Breastfeeding till the child is two or three can be a form of contraception as it suppresses ovulation.