PDA

View Full Version : Good luck card from Michael to Malcolm

Secret1
24th Feb 2015, 09:52
It is understood from a reliable source that a certain Michael Graydon has sent a 'good luck for the future' card to Malcolm Rifkind. ;)

tucumseh
24th Feb 2015, 10:50
Rifkind may have been silly, but to my knowledge he hasn't lied. Graydon, on the other hand, would be wise to keep quiet given the evidence he concealed from Rifkind and the story he told to AM Sir John Grandy (letter D/CAS/16/1/6 (W0279f) on 4th February 1997).

Heathrow Harry
24th Feb 2015, 10:55
Rifkind clearly was caught red-handed

he may slither on the exact details but we all know what he was up to - peddling influence for money

This years T Blair Award Winner???

ShotOne
24th Feb 2015, 12:36
"caught red handed" but doing no more than many (most ?) MP's and probably almost all ex-ministers do. Is this the way things should be? Absolutely not but thems the rules! Now that he's fallen on his sword perhaps we need a close look at the wider issue; Union-funded labour MP's for instance ..and ex-servicemen involved in the procurement process accepting jobs with suppliers come to that!

avturboy
24th Feb 2015, 12:42
Rifkind clearly was caught red-handed

It's like first prize in the political Darwin Awards!

I wonder how his constituents feel about his claims to have so much spare time to offer?

jayteeto
24th Feb 2015, 14:00
Was he wrong? Yes
Is he a t**t? Yup
Has he done the honourable thing and quit immediately? Absolutely.

There are a number of MPs of all parties who should take note of this, however the last labour cabinet particularly should see how scandal should be handled...............

Hangarshuffle
24th Feb 2015, 15:42
Watching Rifkind on C4 last night, the thought struck me that he would do anything for money. I wonder if he ever passed state secrets on to interested parties, for money? Or talked about things to people he shouldn't have...for money.
He was chairman of a select committee. Bet he saw a lot of stuff across his desk.
They say politicians contempt for their electorate is in direct proportion to the contempt they receive.

Melchett01
24th Feb 2015, 15:47
"caught red handed" but doing no more than many (most ?) MP's and probably almost all ex-ministers do.

But most ministers aren't Chairman of the Intelligence and Security Committee with oversight of UK national intelligence machinery.

However, he visited my last unit for lunch last Spring and he struck me as a decent sort who was very much an honourable type, so not surprised he has jumped before being inevitably pushed. However, it does bring into play a question of judgement, which given his position made his position untenable.

ShotOne
24th Feb 2015, 16:31
Those are exceptionally grave charges Hangarshuffle. Would you care to share even the slimmest shred of evidence to support them? Unlike many of your labour chums, indeed unlike Mr Straw who's in pretty much the same boat, he's at least done the decent thing.

Heathrow Harry
24th Feb 2015, 16:34
only because he was caught

the "decent thing" wasn't to go offering his contacts around to all and sundry

I have also met the man and I'd have said he was better than your average MP - but that just goes to show what a bunch they are

Straw on the other hand - never trusted him ever

redsetter
24th Feb 2015, 16:51
Curious definition of "doing the decent thing". Mr. Rifkind's first reaction was to bluster his way out of it (see his recent performances on TV & radio). He did not "quit immediately" - he only went when it became clear he had no support in his party.

Al R
24th Feb 2015, 17:14
Do MPs need to be told what is right and what is wrong, do they have to have every single contingency written out to them in copperplate? Just because something isn't technically wrong, doesn't mean it's right. Whatever happened to common sense and a instinct for doing the right thing?

It's their own fault that what should have been a peerage and a dignified end to a lifetime's work has come crashing down around their ears; they were looking to feather their exit strategy and (in Rifkind's case), he looked rather pitiful trying to impress the young female and checking his watch before entering the hotel.

I just wish I had held off on my blog for a few days. They would have made ideal examples, much better than the no-mark that I ended up having to use.

Al Rush | Parliamentary Contributory Pension Fund (PCPF) (http://www.alrush.biz/?p=954)

Hangarshuffle
24th Feb 2015, 18:45
No shot I wouldn't dare lay that charge at someone's door, I'm simply speculating aloud, it would be a serious thing to say and this is just pprune. But its show gullibility to be caught out as he did,its often young attractive women who set these stings up and boy do these people seem to bite), and to me at least it shows he lacks integrity.
Sad for UK that these type of greedy, inept people actually make it to sit on HoC Committees, especially ones so serious as the one he chaired.

Wonder what he would get in China for behaving (or getting caught) like this-death penalty?
Straw has been beneath even my contempt for many years btw.
I'll go further seeing as you made me bite.
These sort of stories swirl around in the scummy papers all the time. Where is the regulation, who is policing and watching our leaders? Is the establishment bent and corrupt now beyond any trust? Years ago, in the scummy Private Eye magazine, the hacks of that organ used to bang on about all sorts of things I used to think - its just not possible (systematic child abuse by Govt. ministers was one story, which is now slowly coming out as a true story, 25 years later).
My trust of these individuals is at an all time low, other people feel as I do, but what is being done? Are we that short of decent honest corrupt free men and women?
So I will say it again, anyone capable of pocketing large sums of cash, and seeking more money, from origins in China (still communist last time I looked) as Rifkind has done, in the position he is in, is proved capable of being dishonest, liable to blackmail and is a security risk to our country.
Anyway, rant over and out.

melmothtw
24th Feb 2015, 19:22
Hangarshuffle, why do you refer to these papers as "scummy" when by your own admission it would appear they were telling the truth?

Chugalug2
24th Feb 2015, 21:29
HS:-
Where is the regulation, who is policing and watching our leaders? Is the establishment bent and corrupt now beyond any trust? I refer the honourable gentleman to an answer given earlier by tucumseh. It has, as might be expected, been totally ignored.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Wise or foolish?

Heathrow Harry
25th Feb 2015, 16:38
well looking on the bright side 10 MP's turned them down -

Not sure that would have been the case 20 years ago................

tucumseh
26th Feb 2015, 08:43
As the OP implied, Graydon will be happy at Sir Malcolm's downfall.

One is a proven liar, the other an honourable man who has been a little silly. One committed illegal acts, the other apparently did not. The actions of one contributed to the deaths of Servicemen. The other was furious that he was misled and unable to prevent this.

Guess who takes the hit? It says much about society and the gutter press. But it says more about those with a very short memory who continue to denigrate those who actually try to meet their duty of care obligation.

Basil
26th Feb 2015, 11:29
its often young attractive women who set these stings up
Yup, this bird in a Florence menswear shop said, as I tried on a leather jacket: "The bottom zip is for men with fat tummies but, of course, you won't need to use it."
Sold! :}

Warmtoast
26th Feb 2015, 12:04
Trying it on with politicians or by politicians is not something new. Witness this correspondence between Henry Root and the Conservative Party:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Honours%201_zpsrpscojka.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/Honours%202_zpssi35uy1k.jpg