PDA

View Full Version : Free removal of bloatware

NZScion
24th Feb 2015, 06:44
Hi All,

Well aware of the current running thread on free vs paid antivirus.

I use Avast free, which has a pay option for removing bloatware etc. (click here for image (http://s11.postimg.org/xhmpj0k0j/Avast_Junk_Message.jpg) - currently appearing on my computer from time to time.)

Any suggestions for a free alternative for taking the crud off my computer?

Thanks

mixture
24th Feb 2015, 07:03
Any suggestions for a free alternative for taking the crud off my computer?

Reformat and fresh start ? :E

ExXB
24th Feb 2015, 09:33
Mixture,
Not sure that would work with the latest Lenovo scam. The malware was buried in the BIOS.

Buy a Mac, directly from Apple. Guaranteed no bloatware.

mixture
24th Feb 2015, 10:32
Not sure that would work with the latest Lenovo scam. The malware was buried in the BIOS.

I think I've seen that one. Agree pretty nasty bloatware if its the one I'm thinking of.

Buy a Mac, directly from Apple. Guaranteed no bloatware.

Agree 100%.

Not sure it meets NZScion's definition of "free" though ! :cool:

ShyTorque
24th Feb 2015, 15:13
I use the free version of CCleaner (previously known as CrapCleaner until they went posh) and also the free version of Glary Utilities 5.

The Flying Pram
24th Feb 2015, 17:35
Revo Uninstaller is a good programme. There's a "Portable" version if you don't want to add anything to a machine which already has far too much!

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/revo_uninstaller_portable

The basic mode is fine, but the more advanced modes will look for every registry entry and other files/folders that usually get left behind.

NZScion
25th Feb 2015, 06:47
Hi All,

Thanks for the tips. Combination of CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller have done the trick.

Reformat & fresh start would have done the trick, but that's got an excessive false positive rate I've found in the past, and removed stuff I'd like...

The mac isn't an option... If I wanted to pay a crapload of cash for a product that does what others do for free maybe it would be... This is a $500 laptop and about 5 years old now... If I need to do this for 30 mins every 5 years I'm happy.

ExXB
26th Feb 2015, 07:40
"All of the above" may not be effective against malware installed deep in the computer, such as in the BIOS as done by Lenova.

Last week, the computer-making giant said it was offering customers a tool to help them remove the pre-installed software after experts warned that it was a security risk.

Accessing Lenova's web-site to learn more is difficult as their site is being "Hacked" (DDoS) at the moment.