PDA

View Full Version : Approach procedure to non-tower a/p

Trolle
23rd Feb 2015, 20:58
I left FAA-land and did the conversion in the UK.

Got my head around the VFR approach procedures to non-towered airports. The FTO had a nice overview on several pages that were used for the airports we operated to. Weird (law of primacy)…but it worked.

I'm trying to find some information about how one might fly a VFR approach to a non-towered airport in a different EU country. I thought it might be in the country's AIP, but no luck. Maybe it's hiding in there…I don't know.

So, how do you guys go about finding that info? Say, you wanted to fly from the UK to, say, France. Any source for finding out how to fly a VFR approach?

I wouldn't even know where to direct someone wanting to fly to the UK…other than call the FTO (which went bankrupt) :uhoh:

yxcvmnb
24th Feb 2015, 04:43
Non towered airfield procedures are usually covered in VFR Manuals, if not in AIP, for specific airfields.

Most do have specified procedures, if they don't, approach and make standard overhead join.

Trolle
24th Feb 2015, 12:03
Thanks.

I guess not all authorities publish a VFR guide. I checked out some various CAA websites, but only found a few countries that make a guide available for free.

Not planning on going anywhere in particular just wanted to brush up on a few things, and this topic came to mind.

ChickenHouse
24th Feb 2015, 15:12
Any source for finding out how to fly a VFR approach?
The bitter reality is - it depends and to find out in some countries is archeology. Many time you will find procedures in a VFR manual, if published. In some case you find things in the AIP. In many cases of more overruled civilizations you find procedures for each individual airfield aside with the approach pattern - there are some real odd examples of non-ICAO-standard traffic patterns and ugly procedure descriptions, which you have to look up for each and every destination.

Sometimes you even find important information not in aviation literature, but in daily newspapers - there are very famous examples, like German Bonn-Hangelar where a Mr. Nüse from authorities declared the blue line on the VAC as mandatory to hold by 150 meters - if you want to laugh, look at the related ****storm.

One advice from an international flyer - do not, repeat, do not, engage an overhead join approach as long as you are not absolutely sure it is common at that airfield/in that country! If you do the UK CAA standard procedure to cross 2000ft midfield to go dead side, you are in great danger in certain countries to be hit by i.e. a BE33 or TB200 doing downwind at 2000ft instead of 1000ft because of their brick like descent.

cavok_flyer
25th Feb 2015, 06:24
You are "allowed" to purchase the German AIP VFR for around 79€. There is also an iOS app for it as well, if you are so inclined. Foreflight has a VFR Module that has the information you are looking for in it.

sspencer1248
25th Feb 2015, 06:26
If you don't mind me asking. why you left FAA to convert to EASA

Trolle
25th Feb 2015, 21:19
If you don't mind me asking. why you left FAA to convert to EASA

Left to get a free education in EU when I lost my airline flying job. Continued with the education and became an Assistant Professor at university.

Converted since I still do work in the airline industry and hoped that I could parlay my flying experience with my management experience into a job. That hasn't happened. Considering doing an FI because I like to teach and have been an FAA CFI for nearly 15 years.

That's why I try to wrap my head around the GA environment in Europe.