PDA

View Full Version : PA28R-180.

thing
23rd Feb 2015, 20:36
What's the 'normal' fuel burn on one of these? I've been getting about 35lph at 24 squared, at around 3,000 ft or so 25 degrees ROP. Does this sound about right? Thought it might be two or three litres less. The fuel meter, however accurate that is shows around 8.5 GPH or 32lph. I'm about 300 pounds below max gross. (Not me personally, the aircraft...)

Geriaviator
24th Feb 2015, 10:56
That sounds about right. From happy memory, the gauges refer to US gallons but 24/24 gave me 140kt true at 8.2 imp gph at FL080. Great all-round aeroplane, easy to handle, easy to maintain. Just watch for corrosion as I hear Piper doesn't support repair schemes etc. any more. I wish you as many happy hours as I enjoyed.

thing
24th Feb 2015, 11:09
Thanks for that, it's a flying club aircraft so no worries about maintaining! I'm getting about 132kts indicated although it is the 180 and not the 200. not been up to FL80 yet but I would expect less fuel and more TAS.

Mach Jump
24th Feb 2015, 11:20
Hi Thing.

Yes. sounds about right to me too. You could lean it a bit more to peak, or just beyond even but you will only squeeze a couple more litres an hour off the burn.

Over the years, I have found a good rule of thumb that works for almost any avgas piston engine is; 1 USgal/hour for every 10 horsepower you are using, with cruise power settings slightly more economical if you lean the mixture.

For your 180 arrow, that would be 18 GPH on takeoff, and around half that in the cruise.

MJ:ok:

thing
24th Feb 2015, 11:58
Crikey, I've just applied that to the other stuff I fly MJ and it's almost spot on. Every day is a learning day!

By the way, has anyone ever used Piper's POH recomendation's for range of going full throttle and then leaning out until you get the RPM you want? Obviously this won't work on a wobbly prop but I fly Warriors too. Always seemed a bit dodgy to me, although having said that, the mixture control on Warriors isn't exactly subtle is it.