PDA

View Full Version : Important Announcement regarding the use of SafetyCom in Scotland

chillindan
23rd Feb 2015, 14:38
My flying club has passed me the following information regarding the use of SafetyCom in Scotland.

The CAA has given approval for all aviators to extend the use of SafetyCom's VHF frequency 135.475 to 2,000' AGL and below anywhere in uncontrolled airspace north of 56*N (Helensburgh to Falkirk).
Please see the attached notice for full information. An AIC will be published reflecting this information in due course, but in the meantime, word needs to get out fast!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzRFENH6DNfNRkJuelJGek4xVHc/view?usp=sharing

xrayalpha
23rd Feb 2015, 15:18
Things about safety.com to remember:

If using an airfield, such as Strathaven, remember to start your call "Strathaven". Although CAP413 doesn't recommend it, end your call with "Strathaven" too since most folk don't pick up the first mention. If you don't mention the airfield, people won't know if you are at Bute, Strathaven, Castle Kennedy etc!

Safety.com is for blind calls, so don't expect an air/ground service.

Keep calls short. It is not a chat frequency.

if we find, at Strathaven, that safety.com becomes too cluttered, we won't bother paying hundreds of pounds for a dedicated frequency, we'll just stop using safety.com! So no safety benefit there!

Forfoxake
23rd Feb 2015, 23:56
Apart from seconding what xrayalpha has said, I am a bit sceptical about this initiative, especially since there does not seem to have been a lot of consultation.

If, as suggested by the information poster, "Good Intention and Position Reports may be (made) every few minutes" Safetycom could get overloaded on a good flying day.

And despite suggestions to the contrary in an earlier thread, the poster states that it "may/should be used alongside it (a Basic Service from Scottish Information) if appropriate and the aircraft has 2 x VHF transceivers"

I agree that this initiative could bring safety benefits in the Highlands, particularly if combined with
1) Fitting of TCAS to all military fast jets
2) Encouragement of the fitting of FLARM (and allowing uncertified ADS-B out) in more light aircraft and gliders
3) Improvements in the operation of the CANP

However, I think it would be much better to use a separate dedicated frequency. Anyway, we shall see- it is only a trial!

AK355
3rd May 2015, 14:27
Are you flying in Scotland this summer?

Please read this carefully and fully digest it. It has CAA approval, it is working; please use it!

North of 56°N, Scotland is trialing a Low Level Common VHF Frequency in uncontrolled airspace as an Airprox avoidance tool, enabling all pilots of both military and civilian aircraft to blind, self position and intention broadcast on the SafetyCom VHF Frequency 135.475.

The basic rules for use of the frequency are:

* Trial from 01/02/2015 – 01/10/2015

* North of 56°N (Helensburgh to Falkirk)

* Uncontrolled Airspace only

* 2,000’ AGL and below

* Keep transmissions short, simple & effective

* Report as you deem appropriate

* When safe to do so

* Any time it is deemed beneficial to safety

* Reply to other aircraft to avoid conflict

* Not a chat frequency

Good Position and Intention Reports may be every few minutes, upon entering a valley, close to a town, near a recognisable feature, approaching a choke point, crossing a loch, following a main road…

Examples:

"Cessna G-CD, 5 North of Perth, 1,500’, tracking North on the A9 to Inverness"

"Microlight G-EF, 6 South West of Oban, 900', tracking North West to the Isle of Mull for landing Glenforsa"

Notes: Use of this frequency should not take priority over obtaining a Basic Service from Scottish Information or a local ATC or Airport Information facility if available, but may/should be used along-side it if appropriate and the aircraft has 2 x VHF transceivers. If you do not hear any transmissions, you should not assume there’s no aircraft nearby. Use all measures available to avoid a Mid Air Collision, and maintain an effective lookout scan!

Repeat: It has CAA approval, it is working; please use it!

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. Fly Safe!

There was quite a lot of consultation on this trial before it went live - in Northern Scotland of course as this is where the trial is taking place, and where the highest probability of an Airprox between a low level fast jet and a general aviation aircraft is likely to happen in Scotland.

A separate frequency would be fantastic, however, it was decided that the use of 135.475 would be the quickest route to being able to start using something to be able to blind, self position and report, rather than have nothing.

Remember, although it can be used anywhere within the trial zone, this is primarily for remote areas where one cannot be provided with a Basic Service from Scottish, (though feel free to use it anywhere if you have 2 radios, or want to flip-flop quickly to make a blind position and intention report on 135.475 then change back to Scottish,) and only for use north of 56* N. In that zone, there are very few aerodromes that use 135.475, and below 2,000' AGL the line of sight coverage for a VHF radio is quite limited in the Highlands, so frequency congestion should not be a factor. If it does become a factor, please say so.

It's a trial, please give it a try and report back to:

[email protected]

Thank you.

Good Business Sense
3rd May 2015, 22:11
The standard of position reporting will have to dramatically increase for it to be of any value

Position reporting in Scotland by pilots is abysmal - "over Loch Fyne" - yeh, which bit ? ... it's 45 miles long ... this is the norm

"north of Perth" / "south west of Oban" - 20 miles 50 miles, 5 miles?

Cusco
3rd May 2015, 22:36
Do the jet jocks who are the ones flying down there in the weeds listen out on VHF as well as UHF?

Cusco

Russell Gulch
3rd May 2015, 22:48
It's a useless sloping-shoulder exercise by the CAA to divert liability for mid-air collisions.

As inferred already, there is no proper training in the CAA or EASA syllabus for the correct use of SafetyCom.

Russ

piperboy84
4th May 2015, 04:47
"Cessna G-CD, 5 North of Perth, 1,500’, tracking North on the A9 to Inverness"

"Microlight G-EF, 6 South West of Oban, 900', tracking North West to the Isle of Mull for landing Glenforsa"

A suggestion, several years back I was flying with an instructor in his Maule through a busy VFR corridor that had a Common Traffic announce requirement on a designated frequency. So me being all bright eyed and bushy tailed launched into the following

"Los Angeles special flight rules traffic Maule N1234 north bound on the SMO 132 radial, 4500, abeam the main terminal, Los Angeles special flight rules traffic Maule N1234."

Upon completion of this mouthful and feeling quite happy with myself the instructor looked at me and said "What the f&*K was that all about?" Crestfallen, I mumbled that I was announcing who I was, where I was and where I was going.

He then said in rather dismissive tone that nobody knows nor gives a **** what a Maule is and they certainly couldn't give f*&k what my call sign was but he was willing to bet that they would be extremely interested in receiving any help I could offer on what specifically they should be looking for, which he pointed out was the purpose of the announcement in the first place. He also expressed a feeling that if there was indeed other pilots out there that needed reminding that they were flying over LAX they were probably in need of more specialized guidance than I could offer. The bottom line the next announcement was changed to :

Flight rules traffic, Blue high wing taildragger, northbound, 4500, abeam xxxx, Blue high wing taildragger"

Apart from your run of the mill Cessna and Piper's, I have come across a whole bunch of aircraft flying round Scotland I've never heard of, from the powered kite things, a host of LSA's brands, experiential and certified European and former Soviet block manufacturers and would not have a scooby doo if what I have just been told over the radio is the aircraft brand and call sign of the traffic I am looking for.

So perhaps using a description of the aircraft may prove a better way of helping us novices correctly identify other traffic.

NorthSouth
4th May 2015, 11:54
Except that you won't ever get anyone announcing "Four pointy camouflaged fast jets southbound A9 Blair Atholl 500 feet" and they're the ones you really want to know about

Romeo Tango
4th May 2015, 13:25
Is this really needed? Do aeroplanes bump into each other a lot in Scotland?

NorthSouth
4th May 2015, 16:37
No. And the actual threat - military-civil conflicts - won't be addressed by this measure

Good Business Sense
4th May 2015, 22:01
All that airspace lost to the military in the North and over Skye Mon-Thur afternoons/evenings and yet I see them whizzing past all over Scotland - you can sit on Skye and watch them use all the airspace EXCEPT the areas blocked off for them !!!

fisbangwollop
5th May 2015, 05:56
GBS......The Highland restricted area R610 is there to allow fast jets to fly low level blind (IMC) using terrain following radar. Hence the reason they keep all other traffic out.
I understand though that the MOD are presently looking at only closing the area to other users on an occasional basis by Notam that seems to make more sense.

NorthSouth
5th May 2015, 09:14
R610 has long been an anachronism. The MoD has never released figures showing how often it's used but these days I bet the answer is "hardly ever". The days when there were hundreds of strike aircraft poised to fly low level night IMC to drop nukes on Eastern Europe are long gone, so the rationale for that airspace doesn't exist.

The MoD is supposedly signed up to the concept of Flexible Use of Airspace but the reality is they cling on doggedly to every piece of sterilised airspace they have.

AK355
6th May 2015, 15:22
Low Level Common Frequency, LLCF, was not set up by the CAA, but initiated by both the RAF and GA users in Northern Scotland. The two parties lobbied the CAA for approval for its use, and a 6 month trial has been granted.

Every UK based military aviator is to use LLCF when flying in the appropriate area, and foreign military aircraft are also briefed on its use before they fly in the area too.

Virtually every commercial pilot, military pilot, coast guard pilot and local based GA pilot uses 135.475 every time they go fly in the Highlands now when they can't get a Basic Service from an ATC/ATS facility, so if you're flying up here and not using it, you're very much in the minority and will be very much on your own! I hear Typhoons or Tornadoes making calls on VHF 135.475 MHz just about every time I'm out flying in the middle of nowhere - it doesn't by any means make the frequency cluttered, in fact far from it, there's hardly anyone up here so when you do hear a voice, it can be quite reassuring that in times of need you might be able to talk to someone.

This is not a kid’s game, this is professional aviation trying to make it safer for all who use the airspace, GA included, so please take it seriously.

Low Level Common Frequency use in Scotland is not a cure all for avoiding an Airprox. It is, however, if used correctly, another string to one's bow that may prevent a near miss or a mid air involving you and another aviator, or perhaps afford you the opportunity for a useful weather report as you fly into dreich weather.

BTW Nay Sayers, it has already been used successfully to avoid potential conflict on at least one occasion between a military fast jet and a civilian aircraft since it started in February - that alone had made LLCF worthwhile.

135.475 is omni-directional and potentially has a lot further range than your eyes do. “Hear and Avoid" now compliments "See and Avoid”. Don't use it at your own peril...!

FYI, you might as well use it, you can't talk to anyone else, so what's the point of not using it...? I wish I had had the availability to use Hear and Avoid before my Airprox with a Hawk as he came blasting over a shallow ridge extremely low level and had literally 1 second to avoid him:

http://www.airproxboard.org.uk/docs/423/2014120.pdf

It's interesting reading! Did you know there were well over 200 Airprox reports last year in the UK alone?

NorthSouth
7th May 2015, 10:40
I hear Typhoons or Tornadoes making calls on VHF 135.475 MHz just about every time I'm out flying in the middle of nowhereIf that's happening then I'm very pleased and I retract what I said before about mil pilots not using it. But I hope they're not doing that at the expense of also broadcasting to other mil pilots on the UHF low level common frequency. Then again, if all mil pilots are using the VHF frequency then the UHF one becomes redundant. That would be a victory for common sense.

AK355
7th May 2015, 14:02
NorthSouth, following a couple of safety meetings between all of us up here, to be honest, it didn't take much to convince the RAF that their use of UHF for traffic conflict separation would be much better served if they switched to VHF instead - for obvious reasons. They have VHF radios in all their aircraft and hardly ever use them, so it was a bit of a no-brainer. The most difficult thing has been getting the word out, and getting everybody on board!

The RAF still use UHF for operational matters they do not wish General Aviation to hear, and that's perfectly fine, however, they solely use VHF in the LLCF area for traffic conflict separation, so all traffic, both military and civilian can now on the same frequency north of 56* N.

Most unusual in aviation as we all know, but for once common sense has indeed been victorious. Long may pilots use LLCF, and long may common sense reign!

Many thanks for your input, without it these explanations would probably not have come out - hopefully more people will now understand the usefulness and importance of LLCF, so thank you, much appreciated.

Fly Safe!

riverrock83
7th May 2015, 17:34
interesting - I'd have thought UHF might have had fewer line-of-sight issues - inherent in mountainous areas at low level.
Glad we are all talking to each other now!

I just hope that the military VHF radios are up to scratch. Had great fun trying to understand what the HMS Illustrious based helicopters were trying to say on VHF radios which were clearly never used last year (before decommissioning).

xrayalpha
7th May 2015, 19:10
AK355,

I appreciate the work that has gone into it, but why safety.com?

Is it just because this is a trial - if successful will we see a dedicated frequency?

ps Self-interest declaration. The airfield I operate will not want to spend 650 quid on a dedicated frequency if safety.com gets too cluttered.

India Four Two
7th May 2015, 20:47
I'd have thought UHF might have had fewer line-of-sight issues

I would have thought the exact opposite!

Above The Clouds
8th May 2015, 14:44
IIRC it is possible to transmit on VHF and UHF at the same time, civil aircraft using VHF, only hear the VHF transmission.

AK355
9th May 2015, 13:24
xrayalpha, and other fellow aviators,

To answer your questions and concerns, the reason LLCF exists is because there are big swathes of remote Scotland airspace that, at low level, have absolutely no VHF radio reception with Scottish Info or any other ATC/ATS facility. Within that airspace, it seemed absolutely ridiculous that the only option for avoiding other traffic available to pilots flying within it was "See and Avoid" when (virtually) every aircraft has a fully serviceable VHF radio in it that remains silent.

"Hear and Avoid" is being used successfully in many other countries in the world, and has been proven to compliment "See and Avoid" where it is being used. Without doubt “Hear and Avoid” LLCF is a total no-brainer for remote Scotland - however, the primary issues which arise from its use are, as always, the edges of its boundary use, and who is it affecting negatively.

I fully agree with those who say that a blind, self-position and intention report should start and finish with one's present area location, e.g. "Loch Ness traffic, Helicopter CD, 5 SW of Drumnadrochit at 1,500 tracking SW to Fort William and Oban, Loch Ness traffic" as opposed to not starting and finishing with one's present area location, as this gives:

* Initial awareness to traffic at or near that location, i.e. if you are flying around Loch Ness and heard "Loch Ness traffic", you'd most likely pay more attention to looking for other traffic rather than trying to spot Nessie

* Aircraft Type and abbreviated ID, i.e. not too much info that you don’t listen to the rest of the broadcast as you try to remember what the traffic is

* Present position (distance, direction and height) with regard to a relatively identifiable landmark

* Intentions

* A repeat of awareness to traffic at or near your location

That would be my choice, but in the consultation phase of LLCF, that was thought to be too much air time by the Military a) for them to say it all, and b) it would cause too much frequency congestion, so the current guidelines have been suggested.

However, as with all guidelines, that doesn't literally prevent anybody from using what they believe to be better procedure; I personally use the above because there's hardly anyone out there, therefore there is no congestion, therefore if I believe safety prevails because of it, I will use it. Now, if the frequency was very busy, I'd most likely revert to the guidelines. It has been suggested that the guidelines change to the above after the trial - we civilians might say the above, the Military might abbreviate it due to workload constraints. It's all about Professionalism, what is appropriate, and how we can collectively make aviation safer.

As a thought, in these transmissions, one could dig a little deeper and promote a response perhaps if it was really quiet out there. "Loch Ness traffic, Helicopter CD, 5 SW of Drumnadrochit at 1,500 tracking SW to Fort William and Oban. Any other traffic Loch Ness..?"

I have to admit I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the fact that military fast jets traveling at 420 kts as they like to do, if they make a position report every 5 minutes, one report could be at one side of the country, the next report at the other side! And this is the nature of the beast. One makes calls appropriate to one's situation, and hopes that others do the same. This is not a Traffic Service, "Hear and Avoid" compliments "See and Avoid", not replaces it remember.

If you hear something on frequency and it's a clear transmission, you'll most likely be close to the other aircraft, or high in the air. If it's readability 2, then the other aircraft is probably far away, or perhaps terrain masked. You have to use common sense and fit your conclusions to the area in which you are flying. You could, of course, always ask for clarification.

xrayalpha, 135.475 was chosen as the trial frequency primarily because the frequency is already in service, and because it is under-utilised in Scotland - particularly north of 56°N. To try and get a separate frequency out of the CAA would have taken forever for use over such a large area, so the trial would have been delayed until who knows when.

Will a dedicated frequency different from 135.475 be used post trial? I can't answer that at this stage. It depends upon the trial and if anybody has been negatively impacted by the use of 135.475 in their area of operations. LLCF might disappear completely, or it might be altered somewhat to conform to best practice for those concerned.

I also appreciate your concern regarding Strathaven xrayalpha. It was carefully thought about before the Low Level Common Frequency proposal to the CAA, and during it, so please don't feel that your thoughts are being ignored. They were actually thought about before the trial went live!

Strathaven is outside the LLCF area by some 20Nm due south of the 56°N southern boundary, and is unlikely to be affected by frequency confusion or congestion from LLCF because due north of 56°N at longitude 004° 06.5'W, a pilot flying at 1,000’ AGL can talk to and receive a Basic Service from both Scottish Info and/or Glasgow, therefore would not be using LLCF. If that pilot was flying at 500' AGL in that same area, yes, he may be using LLCF, but at that level you would hear not his calls at Strathaven. Not only has this has been thought through, it's also been tested!

Remember, LLCF is only a trial for now, and is most certainly open to tweaking to best advantage for those concerned as it is a work in progress at this stage. It's surprising that of the over 2,500 people LLCF has been disseminated to nobody has given any feedback at all about it to the supplied email address (135.475LowLevelCommonFrequency @ gmail . com). Granted it is early days, particularly in terms of decent weather for GA flying around remote Scotland, however, if no feedback is forthcoming, then those that have the ear of the CAA at present will probably be those that take it to the next stage after the trial is over, and whatever works best for them may well be the deciding factor as to where LLCF goes...!

We need honest feedback please, both positive and negative, as LLCF has the potential to save lives. If it negatively impacts your area for the same reasons, then we need to know about it so we can change it.

Fly Safe!

Romeo Tango
9th May 2015, 14:52
My problem with this is that if one follows this logic then there is a much more pressing requirement for "hear and avoid" in other places where there is much more traffic but it's not practical because the frequency would be choked. In fact it is only practical where there is nearly zero traffic and (IMHO) not really required at all.

fisbangwollop
9th May 2015, 21:27
It's surprising that of the over 2,500 people LLCF has been disseminated to nobody has given any feedback at all about it to the supplied email address (135.475LowLevelCommonFrequency @ gmail . com)

Maybe thats because not many folk are chosing to use it. I am still providing a service on Scottish Information to many aircraft operating below 2000ft in the area specified. As you say it was a great idea for area's that no ATC service can be be obtained or for those operating very low diwn in the weeds as you tend to do but If initial comms are made with Scottish info I think youll find the aircraft tends to remain on that frequency for the duration of their trip.

Maoraigh1
10th May 2015, 06:13
I've tried to use it but haven't been successful. The plan was to have Scottish on the box, 135.475 on standby, handheld plugged into lighter socket and an earphone under one side of headset. It's a tangle of wire, and if there's a problem after taxiI give up.
PS I've just filed an airprox after getting too close to a paraglider about 4,000'+ over Loch Leven. Looking out is important too. Scottish is the primary source of info about other aircraft.

Good Business Sense
10th May 2015, 08:37
... how often is it recommended to make a call ?? What's the trigger for a call ?

AK355
10th May 2015, 15:15
There is no set time to make a blind, self-position and intention report, it's entirely up to the pilot at the time. However, some examples might be:

When it's safe to do so
In areas where you cannot reach Scottish Info

plus

Descending below 2000' AGL
Entering or exiting a valley
Passing over a ridgeline, i.e. different terrain masking areas
Approaching well-known and easily recognisable physical features
Any time it is considered beneficial to the safety of the aircraft, e.g. choke points, known areas of high traffic density

Personally I find on average I make calls perhaps every 3 - 5 minutes when transiting areas where I cannot talk to Scottish Info in the Highlands. That gives me pretty good coverage for anyone to hear me, apart from fast jets potentially. In areas where they are known to frequent, my calls might be every 2 minutes just in case.

Consider this:

A9 from Inverness to Pitlochry
A82 from Inverness to Oban (Great Glen, Loch Ness)
A835/A832/A890 from Inverness to the Isle of Skye
A835 from Inverness to Ullapool
A837/A894 from Bonar Bridge to Kinlochbervie
A82/A87 from Fort William to the Isle of Skye
A86 from Fort William to Newtonmore
A827/A85/A82 from Pitlochry to Loch Lomond
A85/A82 from Oban to Loch Lomond
A93 from Braemar to Blairgowrie

These are the well known corridors where you either cannot talk to, or have extremely poor comms with Scottish Info below 2000' AGL. And this is exactly where the fast jets love to fly, as does GA traffic, and so do I. If I have to make a precautionary landing and the choice is a flat field next to a main road where I can make a phone call and get a cup of tea and a slice of shortbread, or the top of a moor with 2' of snow on the ground in winter which turns into a peat bog with a million midges in summer...

Corridors are where you will most likely come across other traffic. Fast jets do not comply with the right hand rule, as we cannot do sometimes with areas of low cloud on "our" side of the valley.

Those old, bold pilots will tell you to keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel. Why not use your mouth and keep your ears open too now that option is available to you when you can't talk to Scottish...?

Good Business Sense
10th May 2015, 16:40
Haven't come across this before away from uncontrolled airfields and high level in-flight broadcast areas / war zones etc - where else is this done and found to be useful ?

Personally I find on average I make calls perhaps every 3 - 5 minute .... my calls might be every 2 minutes just in case.

That's a lot of radio time

5 minutes @ 520 kts ..... you and mil jet could be over 50 miles apart when you or it makes a call (3 mins = 30 miles apart)

fisbangwollop
10th May 2015, 17:17
AKK355....A9 from Inverness to Pitlochry

I have to disagree with you there. As you know I am one of the voices of Scottish Information ( although the first time we met you admitted not to using the service both myself and colleagues provide)

Traffic routing low level via the A9 if south bound will generally call me once released by Inverness at Tomatin. I will provide the traffic with a Basic Service and advise it that if they stay below 1500ft I will lose comms after Aviemore till they pass Blair Atholl where good 2 way comms will be regained.

Like wise for traffic routing north via the A9 e.g, from Perth, I will also advise that comms will be lost passing Blair Athol but comms will be re established passing Aviemore.
So in this example although I may lose comms for a short period of time if the southbound traffic has called me I can advise the north bound traffic to keep a very good lookout and visa versa.
I can only provide the best possible service though if traffic decides to call me and advise me of their intentions. If traffic decides to make blind calls on Safety Comms as you suggest then I will be non the wiser and be unable to update any traffic that choses to speak to me.
I still think the best way of keeping the military guys out of your worspace AKA355 is to NOTAM any unusual activity that your Company are doing.....that way at least the fast jet boys will de conflict with your operation prior to departure.
Dont get me wrong I am not knocking your idea, I know the hard work you have put in to reach this stage and hopefully you will get some posative feed back from folk that chose to use it. :ok: