PDA

View Full Version : Palace of Westminster ( again ) "entrepreneurs"

Krystal n chips
23rd Feb 2015, 05:04
Oh dear, nothing quite like a reprise of an old favourite is there, if, that is, the allegations are correct.

BBC News - Straw and Rifkind deny 'cash for access' wrongdoing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31580374)

Given that members of both main parties are, allegedly, involved, it gives a whole new meaning to the Equal Opportunities Act really.

sitigeltfel
23rd Feb 2015, 08:21
There have been so many stings of this nature in the last few years that you would think politicians might just have cottoned on to them and put safeguards against being trapped, in place. But maybe they are too thick and greedy to bother.

Amazingly, some pundits believe they have done nothing wrong, as long as they declare it on the register of interests.

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Feb 2015, 08:47
you would think politicians might just have cottoned on to them and put safeguards against being trapped, in place
One of them did, according to what he said on the radio. He told the punters that before he accepted any work from them he'd be getting them fully checked out, including from the security POV. Whoops! - end of sting, this one isn't going any further, better publish what we've got already even though it's only a half-arsed story compared to what we wanted.

OFSO
23rd Feb 2015, 09:34
I expect both will shortly join UKIP.

Along with Lib Dem candidate Josh Mason who has gone unmentioned here but who quite obviously is a UKIP supporter at heart.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Feb 2015, 10:20
Hmm - Jack Straw quoting £5k a day? Who does he think he is - Tony Blair?

(Mind you, on reflection I should think Tone comes a lot more expensive that!)

Blacksheep
23rd Feb 2015, 12:28
Storm in a teacup. They both retire next month and were simply setting up work for their retirement.

And £5,000 for a speech by a retired former Foreign Secretary isn't exhorbitant, considering how much these fancy organisations charge for a ticket.

Curious Pax
23rd Feb 2015, 13:43
The comments on the radio this morning suggested Rifkind was standing again in May, hence the Tories need to get it sorted one way or another pronto.

Granted it was from a Labour point of view, but Tom Watson MP was making much of the chair of the Intelligence and Security committee getting interested in consulting for a Chinese company! Rifkind also suggested that he was self-employed, which wasn't the way I understood MPs to be employed!

Lon More
23rd Feb 2015, 14:15
you would think politicians might just have cottoned on to them
greed triumphs over intelligence

Rifkind stated it is “unrealistic” to expect some MPs to live on their £67,000 basic salary. plus expenses and all the other allowances they can claim. Rent boys and paedo cover-ups don't come cheap these days. Without an other source of income how's a chap to afford it?

Lon More
23rd Feb 2015, 14:50
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/10409013_879507462090439_7630404871349885950_n%202_zpsu7ovvf s1.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Badyin/media/10409013_879507462090439_7630404871349885950_n%202_zpsu7ovvf s1.jpg.html)

tony draper
23rd Feb 2015, 15:28
They are going to change the law,make it a serious crime to entrap MPs Lords or Senior Civil Servants.
:uhoh:

Effluent Man
23rd Feb 2015, 17:10
I'm with Blacksheep on this. They appear to have been setting up work for after May 7th. The newspapers are still sore about phone tapping. Wayne Rooney is on £40k a day.

Krystal n chips
23rd Feb 2015, 17:25
" . They both retire next month and were simply setting up work for their retirement.

In that case, there was nothing to stop them waiting until they retired...now was there ?

" And £5,000 for a speech by a retired former Foreign Secretary isn't exhorbitant

True, and no doubt there are plenty of organisations who would pay accordingly, however, I don't think it's just a little matter of getting paid for the odd gash speech or two that's relevant here.....the cup may well runneth over in the storm....hopefully.

Lon More
23rd Feb 2015, 17:32
They appear to have been setting up work for after May 7th

but Rifkind intended to carry on in politics so that excuse isn't valid

BWSBoy6
23rd Feb 2015, 17:51
Bloody £5000 a day! This is the same lot that want us all to embrace 'localism' which actually means, "If we in power can duck shove all the menial jobs that we don't want, or think are important, on to Joe Public and not pay them anything, we can pat each other on the back and congratulate ourselves on how much money we have saved"

My husband volunteered as a parish councillor to support our lcal community, doesn't sound a big deal, but for the last 6 years he's given up hours and hours of his time for local issues, attended numerous meetings etc, for no money and actually at his own expense. I nagged him into resigning because he was being expected to take on more and more for not a penny meanwhile this lot are all snouts in the trough.

They're both as bad as each other but Jack Straw particularly annoys me because he's been Mr Outrage and Mr. Principle about others arrogance and complacency.
:mad::mad::mad:

Mrs BwsBoy

TURIN
23rd Feb 2015, 17:57
Hey, we're all in this together don't forget. :mad:

Saintsman
23rd Feb 2015, 18:13
Bigger fools are the ones who pay the £5K for them to make a speech.:rolleyes:

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Feb 2015, 18:56
In that case, there was nothing to stop them waiting until they retired...now was there ?
Dunno about you but I usually try to go to interviews for the next job before the current one has ended - not everybody can afford an upaid gap!

Krystal n chips
24th Feb 2015, 04:50
Gertude,

I agree that most of us would indeed search for future work whilst still employed.

However, this is more like moonlighting.

The C4 programme last night was worth watching. Of the two, Straw came out of it ahead on points as it were.

The Conservative participant however....

Still, when you feel entitled to a level of remuneration, then it's no surprise as to how avarice can easily be confused as being a feature of this expectation.

Malcolm Rifkind clings to chairmanship of Commons intelligence committee | Politics | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/23/mp-malcolm-rifkind-clings-on-to-chairmanship-of-intelligence-committee)

Smeagol
24th Feb 2015, 07:30
Why cannot we pay our politicians a sensible salary and forbid any outside remuneration?

It does seem rather odd to me that we only pay the PM £140k per annum when numerous civil servants (thousands?) are paid several times that amount. Similarly, 'ordinary' MPs paid £67k is ludicrous. These people are (supposed to be) running our country so should be receive pay commensurate with the responsibility.

Pay MPs a basic £150k rising to £1m for PM but not a penny from anywhere else!

I know there are the 'expenses' and other perks on top of the basic salary but it seems that most politicians spend their life preparing for the time they can quit and cash in on the contacts, fame, influence etc. A certain Tony Blair springs immediately to mind - surely the most odious politician of all time!

ATNotts
24th Feb 2015, 07:46
Why cannot we pay our politicians a sensible salary and forbid any outside remuneration?

It does seem rather odd to me that we only pay the PM £140k per annum when numerous civil servants (thousands?) are paid several times that amount. Similarly, 'ordinary' MPs paid £67k is ludicrous. These people are (supposed to be) running our country so should be receive pay commensurate with the responsibility.

Agree 100%. Unfortunately, the Daily Mail, Sun, Express, Mirror etc. won't allow it, and it's them the politicians listen to, not the electorate.

VP959
24th Feb 2015, 08:22
It does seem rather odd to me that we only pay the PM £140k per annum when numerous civil servants (thousands?) are paid several times that amount.

There are, in total, around 3,600 Senior Civil Servants, with pay ranging from around £60,000 to over £140,000 for a small handful of Permanent Secretaries.

The vast majority of Senior Civil Servants earn between £60,000 and £100,000, with only a few earning over £100,000.

The highest paid SCS member could earn as much as £208,100 (the maximum level of SCS pay), but currently none do. Any SCS members salary that exceeds £142,500 requires a personal sign off by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, and that does not happen very often.

There is a relatively high turnover of staff in the SCS, around 10 to 15%, and the general reason given for leaving is because pay is now better in the public sector for senior managerial positions.

Smeagol
24th Feb 2015, 09:40
Maybe my use of 'civil servant' was incorrect. What I meant was public sector, which would include local council officers, teachers, NHS, etc., etc. and I am sure there are many in these organisations who earn more than £150k.

TURIN
24th Feb 2015, 10:05
Rifkind's gone then?

Mind the door doesn't smack you on the arris on the way out Malcolm. :mad:

ORAC
24th Feb 2015, 10:42
Rifkind's gone then?

Yes, not standing at next election... (http://order-order.com/2015/02/24/malcolm-rifkind-steps-down-a-chairman-of-isc/)

tony draper
24th Feb 2015, 11:15
Always had him marked as a shifty eyed arsole.:uhoh:
If they had any decency they would both have a accident whilst cleaning their service revolvers.:rolleyes:

vulcanised
24th Feb 2015, 11:36
Before considering any increase in salary for MPs, their number needs drastic reduction.

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Feb 2015, 11:45
Before considering any increase in salary for MPs, their number needs drastic reduction.
That would mean more punters per MP, which would make it even harder to keep up with the casework.

Yes I know the staff do most of the legwork (the staff's salaries being "MP's expenses" in Wail-speak) but the MP does have to get personally involved in quite a lot and really should, if they're doing the job properly, keep a reasonable overview of what's going on.

Lon More
24th Feb 2015, 12:02
Learned at their mothers' knees

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/10994443_936699479695818_2792825891226772896_n_zpsxzcnk0i6.j pg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Badyin/media/10994443_936699479695818_2792825891226772896_n_zpsxzcnk0i6.j pg.html)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/73560_zpsqv0cezqh.png (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/Badyin/media/73560_zpsqv0cezqh.png.html)

airship
24th Feb 2015, 21:23
All fules now that it's not MPs who earn the highest salaries in parliament. It's the ushers and other "staff". This from the Economist newspaper (http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21611154-parliamentary-workers-are-facing-cut-their-generous-pay-high-class-errand-boys): TO EARN €136,000 ($181,590), a browse of the internet suggests, you need to be an IT operations director at a British firm, governor of New York state—or an usciere (usher) in the Italian parliament. An usciere’s duties include carrying messages, accompanying visitors and looking dignified in uniforms laden with gold braid. The sole occupational hazard is of a punch in the eye while intervening in the occasional brawl between lawmakers. Italian MPs, generally some of Europe's highest paid MPs (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7961849.stm) and much better paid than the UK's must feel miffed. I understand the ushers etc. in France are also very well-paid. I wonder if a similar situation exists at Westminster?

G-CPTN
24th Feb 2015, 21:34
WRT life after being an MP, do they only get the parachute payments (apart from the pension) if they 'retire'?

What severance payments do they get if they lose in a General Election?

Krystal n chips
25th Feb 2015, 04:41
I like the bit about "not doing anything wrong"..of course not, and that the actions were merely " an error of judgement ".....which is on a par with another fabled answer..."being economical with the truth "......

http://www.channel4.com/news/catch-up/display/playlistref/240215

sitigeltfel
25th Feb 2015, 05:33
WRT life after being an MP, do they only get the parachute payments (apart from the pension) if they 'retire'?

What severance payments do they get if they lose in a General Election?

They now get no less than £75,000 in severance and resettlement grants, of which £30,000 is tax free. The final figure depends on length of "service" and whether they have held cabinet posts.
Salmond trousered £60,000 when he left Westminster for Holyrood, and of course will not be handing any of it back on his planned return.

It's not a gravy train any more, they won't settle for anything less than jus foie gras.