PDA

View Full Version : One or two set of stairs

Rwy in Sight
22nd Feb 2015, 19:45
There is a thread running about the rear set of stairs on QANTAS 737. Over the years I come to wonder what are the advantages of using just the front stairs only for a normal turnaround versus the most efficient use of two stairs/doors?

Thanks in advance.

Rwy in Sight

Dash8driver1312
22nd Feb 2015, 19:52
Most efficient also implies knowledge of the cost of the equipment, among other things.

Rwy in Sight
23rd Feb 2015, 07:23
Thanks for the answer.

I was thinking in terms of an airline having its own handling department and equipment. A former state carrier I know practically never used rear stairs (despite having their own handling) while the two privatised ones use either a contact stand and no second stair or two set of stairs all the time.

Why would an airline refrain from using the rear door?

Rwy in Sight

groundagent
23rd Feb 2015, 09:18
In Europe both easyJet and Ryanair use 2 sets of steps as a preference to air-bridge where possible. The benefit is shorter ground times as it is quicker to fill the cabin from both ends than to fill from one end as people try and sit closer to the doors to get of quicker on arrival. Both of these carriers have high load factors and encourage hand baggage. Additional cost of equipment is minimal to an airline (although Handlers may have a different view as they provide it!).

Additionally easyJet removed the integrated air-stairs from the former B737 fleet before they moved to Airbus as a weight saving and a reduction in maintenance costs.

GA

Booglebox
23rd Feb 2015, 14:06
Two sets of stairs is a great idea. But let's take it further:
- 15min before landing, thorough rubbish collection and seat inspection to make sure plane is clean. Uncooperative pax penalized through higher fares next time, $5 dirty seat fee, 10 pressups on arrival, or something
- After landing, arriving pax exit through the front door while departing pax simultaneously board from the back door, having been previously lined up SWA-style by seat row
- Arriving pax collect own bags from bag belt at the aircraft, Soviet-style, while loadies load departing pax bags (which have to go through security)
- Do the safety demonstration while refuelling takes place. Power-back out of the gate so no tug nonsense.
BAM, 10 minute turnaround!
RYR, SWA, EZY, etc.: where do I send my invoice? :E