PDA

View Full Version : Prescription sunglasses

Desk-pilot
6th Jun 2002, 12:17
I have an eyesight endorsement on my Class 1 medical and already have a set of glasses. I thought it would make sense to purchase some prescription sunglasses and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for pilots.

The obvious choice are prescription Rayban Aviator's. My local Vision Express are quoting £180 approx - does anyone know of any cheaper outlets for Rayban/Oakley?

Many thanks,

Desk-pilot

Hew Jampton
6th Jun 2002, 17:41
Caring more for finance than fashion, I took advantage recently of a free pair of prescription sunglasses when buying a new 'main' pair of prescription specs from Dollond & Aitchison. In the past, if my new prescription hasn't changed significantly when getting new 'main' specs, I've sent my previous 'main' pair in to have a sunglass coating put on them, about £15.

ZK-DAN
19th Jun 2002, 06:30
I also require glasses for distance vision (Left -4.25/Right -3.50) and as my Class 1 requires a second pair to be carried with me when I fly I went for a pair of sunglasses. I went for a Rayban G15 tint on a cheaper pair of frames, all up about $250NZD. Kee-p away from polarised lenses and amber tinted lenses and you'll be right!

Dan

pilot26
22nd Jun 2002, 16:32
I could also do with some proper advice on this subject. Apparently you really need to be careful which tint you have especially if you fly an EFIS a/c as colours can be changed and/or displays become difficult to read. Oakley have just topped a test in Private Pilot magazine, I await a copy of the test from a local opticians. If any advice is forthcoming I will post it as soon as possible.

soggyboxers
22nd Jun 2002, 20:45
If you go to the Sportys Pilots shop website in USA you'll find they sell some excellent "stick ons" which you can attach to the inside of your favourite normal sunglasses. They can be removed and replaced as and when you wish. I think the price with shipping is around US£36.:cool:

snooky
24th Jun 2002, 08:28
I remember reading an article on this many years ago, possibly in The Log. It recommended a brown 2 tint as being the best for aviation purposes, being the best compromise between the needs of protection from a very bright outside and being able to read instruments inside, whilst minimising colour changes.

I've used sunglasses with this tint and find them ideal.

epsilon9854
24th Jun 2002, 13:59
I'm not sure they have what you want, but it might be worth ringing Optilabs (http://www.optilabs.com/). They have nothing aviation-specific on the website, but I'm sure they have conformant lenses. It will probably be cheaper than what you get at other opticians. You can also send them a frame and have it glazed. I've dealt with them, their customer support is great.

Andrįs

MightyGem
25th Jun 2002, 04:06
I use ordinary prescription sunglasses, but with a graduated tint so there is no problem with reading instruments.
:cool: