PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL to an FAA type rating

Spam Up
22nd Feb 2015, 17:13
Hello All,

Bit of a 'how can it be done' type question here as I understand that the route to getting an FAA Licence has changed.

My situation is that I have a EASA ATPL but has no IR as my rating expired at the end of last year, possibility of a FO position on an N registered aircraft....... so the question is ...... how could I do it ??

I really would appreciate some advice

Spam Up

time2leave
23rd Feb 2015, 07:08
This is my current understanding having embarked on the route!

1. You need to get an FAA Validation of your EASA ATPL-Free from the FAA but £44 from the CAA!

2. You need to complete the ATP CTP course. Currently CAE in Dallas a couple of others and soon ATP Flight School. This is $4995 plus flights and accommodation and is a 6 day course comprising ground school and sim training. Despite what Sporty's say you WILL NEED TSA approval which can take 30 days if you haven't had fingerprints done.

3. Having done part 2 you receive a certificate that allows you to sit the ATP written test. Most companies providing the ATP CTP throw the cost of the test in but you will need to have studied before hand.

4. Once you have the ATP pass you can then undertake the FAA flying/sim test HOWEVER in order to be eligible for this you need to accomplish 5(i think) training sessions and the FAA check-ride.

To be honest if you are doing this it is worth finding a provider that can do both EASA/FAA LPC and negotiate the extra FAA stuff as you can't do a combined check-ride anymore.

Like I say this is what I think but then it always seems to change the best advice is to contact the FAA rep at CAE/FS for the best advice

Spam Up
23rd Feb 2015, 08:02
Thanks for the advice T2L.

Just wondering if the fact I have no IR on my licence at the moment will be an issue ?

Regards

Spam

Propellerpilot
23rd Feb 2015, 08:49
Your IR will be checked via your ATPL checkride I guess ? More an issue to get the EASA ATP validated, without IR currency....

Only
25th Feb 2015, 08:10
Since he will be a F/O will it be easier for him to only do a FAA CPL?

Spam Up
25th Feb 2015, 22:46
Thanks for all replies !

What would be the difference in the route of getting just the FAA/CPL ?

Spam

Spam Up
7th Jun 2015, 15:20
Time to wake this up again !!!!

Is there any way you can be exempt from the ATP CTP program ? After jumping through the JAR hoops and doing the MCC and having >1000 jet hrs, will I still have to pay $5000 for this course ?

Cheers all

Spam

dirk85
7th Jun 2015, 15:43
No way, sorry.

You should have done the ATP written before August 2014.

Spam Up
7th Jun 2015, 15:52
Thanks Dirk !

Yes I should have.............