PDA

View Full Version : Jubilee Medal

doubledolphins
6th Jun 2002, 11:55
Any one, apart from those involved on Tuesday, got one yet?

Scud-U-Like
6th Jun 2002, 12:30
I got mine several weeks ago. It's smaller than the standard medal size and also slightly thicker. The gilt finish and the red, white and blue ribbon look very smart. It will look even better once it's court mounted with my others.

teeteringhead
6th Jun 2002, 13:08
Yep, got mine. It DOES look good, but the size is odd - I almost thought there'd been a metric conversion pigs! As it will normally go on the end after other medals, its size may tend to make it look a bit of an afterthought.

Any pictures available of it mounted with other medals ? I hope it doesn't look too much like a lost Euro in half-a-crown city.;)

Ed Winchester
6th Jun 2002, 13:59
Got mine, doubledolphin, and I haven't set foot in the UK since last August!! Looks smart as a carrot. Also got the miniature for me mess kit for the princely sum of £4.00.

It's just a shame that my No1s and No5s are such a snug fit!

Sloppy Link
6th Jun 2002, 15:52
Yep, got mine on the day after the qualifying date in Feb. Have noticed that the miniature is "in keeping" with my others but the full size is, as has been already said, that little bit smaller.

MATZ
6th Jun 2002, 17:29
A friend of mine collects medals and he has said that the Jubilee Medal is almost exactly the same as the last 4 "royal" issue medals. The size is the same, and only monarchs head, the text and ribbons have changed.

Just thought you would like to know......

MATZ :D :D

bootscooter
6th Jun 2002, 22:08
Got mine weeks ago. My first medal....I HAVE been doing worthwhile work for te last few years, HONEST......

mutleyfour
7th Jun 2002, 00:27
Haven't got mine, nor my FRI, and come to think of it I havent even got my insurance premium refunded yet!

Bloody typical!

But then again, there is one thing I got right....I joined the ARMY! ;) :p ;)

Pub User
7th Jun 2002, 22:31
A tragic mistake M4, but very careless of you.

I'm sure, if you employ a good 'search engine' you will find a Professional Yomper's/Trench Digger's/Saluter's/Gun Cleaner's Rumour Network somewhere on the World Wide Web.

After all, if it's so right, there must be millions of you out there somewhere.

Navy_Adversary
8th Jun 2002, 07:20
I noticed on Tuesdays Jubilee parade that Prince William and Prince Harry were both wearing medals, what were they for:confused:

opso
8th Jun 2002, 20:49
NA, see the thread:

PPRuNe Forums » Other Aircrew Forums » Military Aircrew » OT : Prince William

doubledolphins
9th Jun 2002, 15:48
Rumour has it mine should turn up by the end of the year, hence my original question!. MATZ I think you are right. I have just found Great, Great Uncle Herman's medals in the loft and the KG5 Silver Jubilee Medal is smaller than the others.

BEagle
9th Jun 2002, 19:26
I reckon that this would have been a good opportunity to redress the appalling way the Silver Jubilee medals were allocated - by the retrospective award of the Silver Jubilee medal to all those with 25 years of continuous service since 1977!

mutleyfour
9th Jun 2002, 22:51
All that the jubilee medals have achieved is a dis-respect for the rest of the medals on your chest. Its that "and what was that one for?" scenario...

"well ummm, i was in the mob when Queen Lizzie got to the big 50 on the throne".

"Is that all! thought it might have been something special".

"well not everybody got one, for instance the 18, 19, 20 year old marines that served in Afghanistan at the time didnt".

:p

Sloppy Link
9th Jun 2002, 23:10
"The true worth of any medal is only known by the wearer". Arguing over medals is at best described as tacky and those that hunt for them remind me of Mutley from the Catch the Pidgeon cartoon programme. Pathetic. I very much doubt that the Silver Jubilee will be re-visited and there are far greater causes for medals that the government/MoD still won't entertain, Suez for one (were you there Beags? Another gong missed!)

PS Mutleyfour, an unfortunate analogy I know, no offence meant to your username.

canberra
7th Jul 2002, 14:17
the reason why 20 year old marines in afghanistan wont get jubilee medals is the fact that you have to have 5 years service to get one. hopefully el presidente the lord anthony charles lynton blair will issue a gong for afghanistan. and while hes about it can we have a british one for the former yugoslavia, after all britain issued a medal for korea.

Ralf Wiggum
7th Jul 2002, 20:00
While I am one of the many to be awarded the Jubille Medal, I reckon that our silverware collection is losing its meaning. Before long, we'll be at the stage where we become the Kenny Everett spoof of the US General.

Not having a dig at the US, but issuing medals for the sake of it just belittles those that are really earned in the face of the enemy.

Sloppy Link
8th Jul 2002, 16:32
Canberra,
Your lack of correct punctuation has now annoyed me so much to the point that I as soon as I see your name, I immediateley move on to the next post!

SORT IT OUT!

Molesworth Hold
8th Jul 2002, 17:06
Please lay off Canberra. I have found it very reassuring to find that my impressions of many of his former rank and trade have been confirmed by the composition and content of his posts. He was probably use to having a Corporal around to keep him on the straight and narrow. How’s the job hunting going Can’s?

Sloppy Link
8th Jul 2002, 22:30
MH
That ought to provoke a reaction from some of my colleagues! I would start formulating your defensive strategy now!

;)

teeteringhead
9th Jul 2002, 05:26
Perhaps we should have a whip round to get him a Shift Key that works. I think it's more annoying that that girlie JQK something on one of the OASC threads who kept SHOUTING.

Thinks: if she got together with Canberra (sorry canberra), perhaps between them they'd get it right!

;)

STANDTO
10th Jul 2002, 19:49
Back to medals.

I asked our HR dept the other day when ours were arriving here on the good ol' fraggle rock. I was expecting a bit of pomp and circumstance in the true colonial style (Pimms on the lawn up at Government House with His Excellency the Leiutentant Governor AM McFadyen. I was particularly looking forward to this as he still retains immense pull with the RAF and can organise a meaty flypast for just about anything.

Imagine my disappointment when I found out that the LG WILL be presenting them, but at the start of each shift. This was of particular upset as I am a shiny trouser office dweller at present and do not work shifts.

Accordingly, we are going to organise our own ceremony with a two gun salute using a couple of seized BB guns and a flypast utilising some well placed thread and my nine year olds model of a Boulton Paul Defiant. I may even bull a pair of shoes for the occasion.

MarkD
10th Jul 2002, 20:20
Sloppy Link -

Hey! Dastardly and Muttley was great TV!

What other cartoons had triplanes for god's sake?? [just to keep it on military aviation] :D :D :D

doh-nut boy
11th Jul 2002, 22:05
The idea of getting a medal for being around when the Queen has sat comfortably on her thrown for 50 years seems a little too much, perhaps medals like that should be worn somewhere other than alongside campaign and other related awards & decorations or even not worn at all and given as a keepsake.

Like Ralf said we will soon be awarded a medal for getting to work on time. Would hate to see us end up like the Spams & get a gong for stagging on in the nasty snow & rain

I think Prince Harrys gong was for Bravery and heroism whilst under the influence of banned substances & for valianlty enduring the Rod Stewart section of the Jubilee Concert.

TqNrT4NgGreenlightCWP
12th Jul 2002, 16:39
heaven forbid we ever become entitled to wear medals given by grateful governments for active service in other theatres....

gulf miniatures anybody?

ORAC
12th Jul 2002, 16:44
Did 25 years and left with no medals at all. Tell a Yank and he'd never believe it. :D

Chinese Vic
13th Jul 2002, 09:10
I believe that there is a place for medals such as the QGJM, but what I find really galling is the devaluing (sp?) of gallantry medals i.e. awarding the DFC for 'leading his squadron into battle'.....
Recent(ish) air campaigns are a good example. Sir, you might be the Boss, but it doesn't necessarily follow that you were the bravest....!

CV

doh-nut boy
13th Jul 2002, 10:45
Good Shout! Quite right.