PDA

View Full Version : Change of passport - citizenship!

PAXboy
21st Feb 2015, 11:47
We've had many questions here about change of name on a ticket/passport/visa but a friend of mine is planning a big trip and likley to change their citizenship.

The tickets need to be booked but the new nationality and passport are only going to hapen some months down the line. How do carriers react to such?

My guess is that it's the same as changing a name by deed poll (other thread) and that not all carriers require passport details at the booking stage.

Any experience or views? Thanks.

ExXB
21st Feb 2015, 13:24
IIRC the airlines don't require APIS data until (at the latest) check-in. If your friend can hold-off checking in until s/he has the new passport ...

Changing passport information, once submitted, is likely to be complicated. Meaning that this situation is likely to occur so rarely they are not set up to deal with it.

PAXboy
21st Feb 2015, 18:12
Thanks ExXB, that was my first thought. I'll advise them to check with the carrier before booking - I can't see it's a problem but airlines like to invite stuff.

edi_local
21st Feb 2015, 19:55
As long as the ticket still matches the name exactly as it is in the new passport then there won't be any issues. Provided he has the correct documentation to enter the country the airline is taking him to then there won't be any issues there either.

In my experience, APIS must be collected before the flight actually closes out for departure, so even if he checks in and changes his passport by the time he gets to the gate, as long as the agents put the new data before that flight is on it's way to the runway then in it's fine! :}

pppdrive
21st Feb 2015, 21:53
I've travelled a lot on dual citizenship. When making a return booking I'm asked for my passport details but this can only be one passport. This means that on the return journey my passport details are for the 'wrong' passport. On check-in for the return flight I just show them both passports and they change the return passport details in their computer system to reflect the 'right' passport. Never had a problem with that procedure.

ExXB
22nd Feb 2015, 11:16
In my experience, APIS must be collected before the flight actually closes out for departure, so even if he checks in and changes his passport by the time he gets to the gate, as long as the agents put the new data before that flight is on it's way to the runway then in it's fine! :}

I agree, but will the airline allow you to change the passport information already submitted for APIS. I suspect that such a change may just raise eyebrows, for example if it's a change from a non-EU to an EU passport.

Everything is relative, of course, but in the knowledge that key information may change I'd advise against submitting APIS before the change has occurred.