Senior Paper Monitor
21st Feb 2015, 08:27
Got up this morning to find that 5 out of 6 pcs on network are showing this
- 2 x windows 7 + 3 x windows 8.1 devices affected
- single windows device not affected

Have:
- rebooted a couple (one of each)
- run troublshooter on one 8.1 machine
- run msconfig, reset and removed non Ms products from start-up on one 7 machine
.... with no effect.

Any suggestions, pointers etc before I start fiddling some more ???

Plan to go back a restore point next but would appreciate anyone's comments/pointers before doing so

QF A330
21st Feb 2015, 10:33
We have the same problem and it seems like a Norton problem from what I can see and haven't created a restore point, though it will be done as soon as the problem is fixed.

Heathrow Harry
21st Feb 2015, 10:34
probably your best option

If you Google it there are pages upon pages of possible reasons -

actually there is only one - it's not a very good piece of software..............

Senior Paper Monitor
21st Feb 2015, 11:15
HI QF - has yours just occured (as in last night) as well ?

The Norton issue may well be valid - the only machine I have working is not using Norton !!

I have had a couple of Norton warnings requiring the use of an additional scan (forget the name) in the last few days

.... and now all back to life on reboot (previous reboots did nothing).

Only damage done is on my machine where I had reset msconfig etc and generally footled about looking for fix.

Caught one machine momentarily saying 'Norton fixing a problem' - so my guess is a duff Norton upgrade last night and much rushing around and fixing this morning.

driftdown
21st Feb 2015, 13:43
Sounds like my experience today. "Internet Explorer has encountered problem and needs to close" several times and then it would not open.

Used Google Chrome and it worked Ok and now IE is working

:confused:

Peter47
21st Feb 2015, 14:20
Same happened to me. (Windows 7) Firefox worked OK throughout.

Rebooted computer - no use.

Ran a full Norton scan having downloaded upgrades.

Ran a full spybot scan.

Downloaded the latest Windows 7 upgrades (six in total - took ages)

Rebooted machine and now OK.

Don't ask me which worked but there is obviously a problem going around.

seafire6b
21st Feb 2015, 16:16
I've had the same problem all day, I also have Norton. However that may just be a coincidence, I've just run Malwarebytes and all okay now, normal service resumed.

The Flying Pram
21st Feb 2015, 20:50
It's mentioned at The Register: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/21/norton_antivirus_update_kills_internet_explorer/

Senior Paper Monitor
21st Feb 2015, 22:11
Three hours of my life this morning - and I suspect another couple of hours putting my own machine (on which I was trying to work round problem) back into order - a couple of licences (including my Adobe Acrobat Pro) have evaporated and god knows what else won't work.

Thanks Symantec !

Ka6crpe
21st Feb 2015, 23:13
Had the same issue last night, and it appeared that the problem was with IE.
Tried the micrsoft IE fix - didn't work.
Tried restoring from an earlier breakpoint - didn't work.
Tried uninstalling and re-installing IE. - didn't work.

At that point I got out my laptop. Initially every thing was fine, but after a couple of minutes the same thing happened.

At that point I gave up and used Firefox.

This morning I discovered my desktop had uploaded a MS update overnight, and everything was working fine.

Loose rivets
22nd Feb 2015, 08:48
Just goes to show how misleading logic trails can be.

Terraplaneblues
22nd Feb 2015, 09:46
Uninstalled IE back to version 9, no fix, did a restore and fixed. Norton here also.
This forum is very good! considering the stuff I waded through via searches yesterday.
Norton is pretty good, rare event and not a total showstopper.
Also use MBAM paid for version.

Win 7 64