PDA

View Full Version : Aerotoxic syndrome

blind pew
21st Feb 2015, 07:48
Is the air in your holiday plane poisoning you? Memory loss, chronic fatigue, breathing problems, even cancer. One former BA captain lifts the lid on aviations darkest secret... | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2962471/Is-air-holiday-plane-poisoning-Memory-loss-chronic-fatigue-breathing-problems-cancer-One-former-BA-captain-lifts-lid-aviations-darkest-secret.html)

From the Mail but a realistic article IMHO...

bcgallacher
21st Feb 2015, 12:24
I have an open mind about this problem - very few aircrew seem to be affected . For many years I flew as flight mechanic on 747s and Tristars spending many hours in flight as there are no duty limitations. Many months I had more flying hours than the aircrew - at one time I regularly did 43 hour round trips Manila to LGW yet I have never felt any ill effects.Tristars frequently had hot oily smells in the aircraft - usually at low power settings probably due to low pressure on the oil seals but again I never heard any aircrew complaining of any health problems. It seems to be a little like Gulf War syndrome - there is some anecdotal evidence but no corroboration.

21st Feb 2015, 13:41
I flew with BA for 35 years. Many others went on to other airlines, doing 40 years plus with little or no problems.
The absent friends column in BA news has retired pilots usually passing away in their 80s or 90s.
The writer has a health problem, but is it as a result of flying?

Who knows? The statistics do not seem to indicate a big problem.

By the way was all his career with BA? Could he have been exposed elsewhere?

airship
21st Feb 2015, 14:06
The Royal family have been flown in 146s. Hasn't done them any harm. Oh wait, what about Charles...?! :(

alisoncc
21st Feb 2015, 15:40
What never ceases to amaze me is the extent to which some people are always looking for something or someone to blame for any minor inconvenience in their lives. A bit like me, at 71, seeking redress against the air force for something that happened in 1964. Suggesting that my wobbly right ankle is their fault by allowing me to be blown off a ladder by a taxying Vulcan. There is a simple fact in life - sh*t happens. End of story.

As for the media, they feed on the tales of life's victims. Especially if the blame can be sheeted to an organisation that has funds available and minimal records to effect a defence. It would be nice if a Judge, in some compensation claim were to state loudly and clearly, "sh*t happens, accept it".

MadsDad
21st Feb 2015, 16:02
Airship, not sure about the harm a 146 ever did Charles.

But I believe there is documentation on the harm Charles did to a 146.

Croqueteer
21st Feb 2015, 19:09
:confused: I used to be a sceptic, but when I lost my kidneys to a cause similar to that which farmers used to suffer from when sheep dipping, and the consultant asked me if I had been in contact with oil, a connection was made. Unfortunately a lot of ex-146 crew do not live happily ever after as is well documented. The 757 is another culprit, a BA skipper collegue had 6 months off due to brain problems likely caused by organophosphates. why did Boeing go back to seperate compressors on the 787? I flew the 146 for 17years.

PS Charlie did not damage the 146, it was the skipper that allowed him to make that approach!

victor tango
21st Feb 2015, 19:13
Alisons right and thats the way I think too.

But then I had a thought........Im sitting here with COPD (emphysema)
Not a barrel of laughs but shit happens and I live with it with wonderful support from my wife and family not forgetting local nurses.

I flew as Cabin Crew 1964-1968 then less regularly for a period of 30 years.
As CC we were very active not sitting like flight deck crew so possibly ingesting a lot more of "whatever".
A friend, since passed away, successfully claimed for an asbestos related illness due to working on an information desk in Terminal 2.

I thought if she can................

Lord Spandex Masher
21st Feb 2015, 20:34
Why the F aren't I tanned Adonis?