PDA

View Full Version : Space travel: airship's BBC guide to hitchhikers and red dwarfs...

airship
20th Feb 2015, 15:17
The BBC reports (http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-31519875) that a red dwarf star passed by as close as 0.8 light years away just 70,000 years ago: While this is the closest flyby detected so far, Dr Mamajek thinks it's not uncommon for alien stars to buzz the Sun. He says a star probably passes through the Oort Cloud every 100,000 years, or so.

Which got me thinking as to how mankind should be organising future space exploration at this time:

1) Continue research and missions to perfect manned space flights to objects within about 100,000AU.

2) Substantially improve our ability to detect future flybys of alien suns etc. well ahead of the event.

The goal being to hang about for 70,000 years or so until the next flyby (hopefully a real sun, not a dwarf) and hitch a lift with it. To further mankind, spread our marvellous ways across the galaxies etc.

PS. If we could identify a future star candidate early enough, we might even be able to meet it halfway before it gets close, allowing us perhaps several thousand years during which we could properly assess the blighter for stability and stuff. And if it has an accompanying planet suitable for human habitation, why, we could even organise a mass emigration...?!

rgbrock1
20th Feb 2015, 15:20
airship:

Speaking about organizing space travel, I understand that a list is being made of people who wish to take a one-way trip to Mars.

Have you given much thought to this? :}:}:}

airship
20th Feb 2015, 15:26
Have you? :p

rgbrock1
20th Feb 2015, 15:26
Ummmmmm...... NO!

OFSO
20th Feb 2015, 15:35
However, rg (and you might want to think about this) Mars has very little snow, and then only at the poles.......

rgbrock1
20th Feb 2015, 15:38
OFSO:

Thank you for pointing this out. No snow. I like the sound of that. Who has the list and when do I sign? :}

Current "real feel" temperature (actual air temperature along with wind chill and humidity levels factored in) is -21F/-29C. Mars can't be all THAT bad!

airship
20th Feb 2015, 15:43
If the Mars rovers had set down at the poles, they'd have needed studded tyres (tires). Or else Mars snow-ploughs.

wings folded
20th Feb 2015, 15:50
The trouble is RGB, you Americans put New York on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

If you had put it on the proper side, it would be roughly where Madrid is. It's warmer in Madrid at the moment

rgbrock1
20th Feb 2015, 15:52
wings:

Unfortunately for us New Yawkers it is currently colder here than in Siberia. Something wrong with that picture. :eek:

wings folded
20th Feb 2015, 15:55
Then, in summer, you do 99 degrees (well the ones called after a german) and 99% humidity.

Strange place to want to live...

rgbrock1
20th Feb 2015, 16:00
wings:

The 99F temperature in the summer is a rarity. Hasn't reached that in quite some time. However, the humidity levels can be nasty sometimes. :eek:

airship
20th Feb 2015, 16:00
Strange place to want to live...Mars?

rgbrock1
20th Feb 2015, 16:02
No, airship, not Mars. The Moon. Where EVERYONE is a lunatic. :}

wings folded
20th Feb 2015, 16:12
Rare it may be, but I was there once when it was. We would call that "pretty muggy"

NY radio stations (Soft Rock FM ???? - it was in the nineties and memory has hazed) kept on drivelling about nine nine nine nine, in between playing Fleetwood Mac tracks.

When I left the office where I was working, my glasses steamed up outside.

Happens here t'other way round...

I did enjoy the Fleetwood Mac songs, though.

rgbrock1
20th Feb 2015, 16:17
wings:

Back then temperatures in the summer in the 90's was not all that uncommon. However, it seems to be rather uncommon these days. For example, last year (2014) there were only 4 days of 90F weather in NYC. And last summer was considered the coldest in over a decade in NYC and environs.

Where I live in lower upstate NY we had but 2x 90F days last summer. Granted, there were indeed several very humid days but the heat of which you refer to is no longer the norm.

(And I hope to dear God the current winter is not a harbinger of things to come. Last winter was almost as bad.)

wings folded
20th Feb 2015, 16:24
The Statue of Liberty was closed because folk were boiling on the staircase.

Does Soft Rock FM still exist, by the way? I had to retune to it each night after housekeeping had programmed my bedside radio alarm to some screeching hispanic station

joy ride
20th Feb 2015, 16:28
I first experienced NY in July 1964 at 8 years old. Stepping out from the cool, calm splendour of R.M.S. Queen Elisabeth into the sweltering heat and humidity, and the ceaseless noise and bustle of NY was one hell of a shock.

This was only topped about 20 years ago at DFW in summer, my first of many experiences of Texas heat and humidity, which makes NY seem very mild.

One way travel to Mars appeals far less to me than to some who know me!

rgbrock1
20th Feb 2015, 16:30
wings:

By soft rock fm I'll assume you're referring to 106.7 lite fm? If so, yes it is still broadcasting.

wings folded
20th Feb 2015, 16:32
During the nineties, I did a trip from NYC to Gabon, a country which sits astride the not very many degrees north nor south.

I felt distinctly chilly at first.

wings folded
20th Feb 2015, 16:38
You know, I thought it was on 105 point something, but you will allow a little compass drift after 20 odd years:sad:

rgbrock1
20th Feb 2015, 16:43
Allowed, wings! Like I wrote, it's probably Lite FM. Still going strong after all these years!

wings folded
20th Feb 2015, 16:54
I can't remember what I did yesterday morning, but I have a vivid memory of the sun rising over the East River as seen from my room in the Times Square Marriott Marquis, with "Tell me lies, sweet little lies" beeming gently out of the duly retuned bedside radio.

Just before I tried to cross the English \ English linguistic frontier to order the breakfast I fancied that day

airship
20th Feb 2015, 17:44
As the general's hijacking attempt has been at least temporarily repelled, may we please have some serious discussion on the OP?

Lonewolf_50
20th Feb 2015, 18:05
As the general's hijacking attempt has been at least temporarily repelled, may we please have some serious discussion on the OP? That's funny, airship.
The goal being to hang about for 70,000 years or so until the next flyby Humans as a species that is civilized, and by civilized I mean anything beyond stone age tech and organization, is less than 10,000 years old.

Unless a significant advance is made in travel vis a vis distance and speeds of light, we are stuck here. I'd say it would be better to become better stewards of this planet than to discuss taking seven more lifetimes of civilized man to get somewhere else.

rgbrock1
20th Feb 2015, 18:34
airship mysteriously wrote:

As the general's hijacking attempt has been at least temporarily repelled,

Key word being "temporarily" my dear airship.

Now, back to hijacking. How about them Nazi Stuka dive bombers during WWII? :}:E

Lonewolf_50
20th Feb 2015, 19:50
Now, back to hijacking. How about them Nazi Stuka dive bombers during WWII? :}:E I don't think any of them were ever successfully hijacked. :p
More on topic: as it had a non pressurized cockpit, it was not suitable for space travel. :cool: I conclude that there are no Stukas on Mars.

con-pilot
20th Feb 2015, 19:54
may we please have some serious discussion on the OP

Okay, sounds fair, so the next time it comes by, or one like it, everybody DUCK!

No need to push, yell and shout, I'll get me hat and coat and leave under my own power thank you.

Fareastdriver
20th Feb 2015, 21:59
We didn't even know about this until just before it arrived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BllzEsH4SAc

Apparently we have waved bye bye to quite a lot of fairly big, country blaster, size rocks as we suddenly see them on their way.

clark y
20th Feb 2015, 23:33
Not quite Stukas on the moon, but very close.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_IndUbcxc