PDA

View Full Version : Geography for Estate Agents...Lesson 1

Krystal n chips
20th Feb 2015, 05:34
An easy spelling error to make, both locations begin and end with the same letter after all.

For sale: a luxury London flat, just 30 miles up the M1 | Money | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/feb/19/for-sale-a-luxury-london-flat-just-30-miles-up-the-m1)

Coming soon......" The exquisite and delightful location of Wick offers the discerning buyer a once in a lifetime opportunity. With it's excellent road, rail and air network connections, Wick has to be one of the most sought after locations to come onto the market in recent times.

Early viewings are strongly recommended as we anticipate extensive interest in this prime commuting location for Central London "

ian16th
20th Feb 2015, 10:41
Estate Agents and Geography! What do the have to do with each other?

In 1976, my company moved me and from living in Yorkshire I was looking to buy a house in Droitwich for a commute into Birmingham.

As a starting point I bought the Ordinance Survey map and contacted agents to mail me their leaflets.

One house that I was interested in, I couldn't find the address on the map.

I phoned the Estate Agent and asked for the OS Coordinates, no one in the said office knew what I was talking about! :ugh:

joy ride
20th Feb 2015, 12:19
I used to live in Fulham, well within its boundaries. Every house and flat for sale in Fulham was actually in Chelsea, according to the Estate Agents.

Chelsea Harbour in actually in Sands End.

Never let the truth get in the way of higher profits!

Capot
20th Feb 2015, 14:13
Topsham, near Exeter, is a twee and precious little town, which commands a high premium for all property types.

Estate agents in Devon have taken to referring to an area around Junction 30 of the M5, 1.5 miles from Topsham, with some minor industry, a large caravan sales yard, the Exeter Chiefs stadium etc etc, as "Rural Topsham".

This ludicrous title does little, as it happens, to persuade people to pay a premium to live there. But the agents go on doing it.

And, of course, they go on describing grotty little boxes as "deceptively spacious", blissfully unaware that in English that phrase means that something looks spacious, but isn't.

One set of details used the word "stunning" 18 times. About 6 "stunnings" is the average, I think, for a 3-bed house on an estate. One house had a "stunning ground floor toilet".

The only way I would now say "stunning" would be in a question; "What's the best kind of club to use for stunning estate agents?"

joy ride
20th Feb 2015, 14:28
Near me one developer's sign in front of its site said

"Another xxxxxxx (Company's name) Prestigious Inner Urban Lifestyle Development"

Property talk for "Steel and glass pigeon holes".

james ozzie
20th Feb 2015, 17:54
I asked an agent if this was a place for bleeding out slaughtered animals. Got a puzzled stare in reply.