PDA

View Full Version : Question about EASA FI/CRI

FlyingTruckdriver
19th Feb 2015, 12:01
Hi everyone.
I was wondering if being a FI rated on SEP airplanes automatically makes you a CRI on SEP.
Is this correct ?

FCL.905.FI FI — Privileges and conditionsThe privileges of an FI are to conduct flight instruction for the issue, revalidation or renewal of:

(b) class and type ratings for single-pilot, single-engine aircraft, except for single-pilot high performance complex aeroplanes; class and group extensions for balloons and class extensions for sailplanes;

FCL.905.CRI CRI — Privileges and conditions
(a) The privileges of a CRI are to instruct for:
(1) the issue, revalidation or renewal of a class or type rating for non-complex non-high performance single-pilot
aeroplanes, when the privileges sought by the applicant are to fly in single-pilot operations;

More to follow.
Thanks.

S-Works
19th Feb 2015, 12:24
No, it's a sperate rating although the privileges are embedded with an FI as long as they FI meets the experience requirments. A restricted FI does not have the same privileges as a CRI which has no restrictions. A CRI does not have the same privileges as an FI.

You need to be a little more specific in your question. What are you trying to understand?

FlyingTruckdriver
19th Feb 2015, 16:47
Hi Bose-X.
I asked this because me and a colleague, both FI, have found that to extend CRI privileges to another class (same category) we may need this:

FCL.905.CRI CRI — Privileges and conditions
(b) The privileges of a CRI are restricted to the class or type of aeroplane in which the instructor assessment of
competence was taken. The privileges of the CRI shall be extended to further classes or types when the CRI has
completed, within the last 12 months:
(1) 15 hours flight time as PIC on aeroplanes of the applicable class or type of aeroplane;
(2) one training flight from the right hand seat under the supervision of another CRI or FI qualified for that class or
type occupying the other pilot’s seat.

However FCL 905 FI specify at

(h) single-pilot multi-engine class or type ratings, except for single-pilot high performance complex aeroplanes, provided that the FI meets:
(1) in the case of aeroplanes, the prerequisites for the CRI training course established in FCL.915.CRI(a) and the requirements of FCL.930.CRI and FCL.935;

Now the question is: to whom is direct 905.CRI ?

Am I correct if I say that being a CRI rated on a SEP, having done only 25 hrs class plus 10 hrs technical and only 3 hrs flight training on the plane and passed the exam, I just need 1 flight on a MEP (meeting the PIC time 905.CRI (b)(1)) to be rated on a multi engine, but if I have attended 120 plus hrs class, 30 hrs flight instruction on a plane and passed the exam, I need 5 hrs training on MEP (even if I have plenty of PIC time on MEp in the last 12 months) and to pass an exam ???
Seems awkward.
Thank you.

S-Works
20th Feb 2015, 08:05
No, you need to do the Multi engine CRI course and have the rating added to your licence and meet the experience requirments.

BillieBob
20th Feb 2015, 08:28
If you had read the next paragraph of FCL.905.CRI you would have seen
(c) Applicants for a CRI for multi-engine aeroplanes holding a CRI certificate for single-engine aeroplanes shall have fulfilled the prerequisites for a CRI established in FCL.915.CRI(a) and the requirements of FCL.930.CRI(a)(3) and FCL.935i.e. have completed 5 hours of flight instruction on multi-engine aeroplanes, given by an FI(A) qualified in accordance with FCL.905.FI(i) and passed an assessment of competence.

The only difference in requirements for a CRI(ME) is that an FI has to complete 10 hours of technical training whereas a CRI(SE), for some reason, does not.

FlyingTruckdriver
20th Feb 2015, 11:20
Thanks bose and thanks Billie.

I understand.
Anyway I can't find FCL.905.CRI. Paragraph (c) !

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:311:0001:0193:EN:PDF

Pdf page 56.

Paragraph (c) as you quoted it, explains all.

BillieBob
20th Feb 2015, 15:39
You also need to read Regulation 245/2014, (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32014R0245&rid=1) which amends Regulation 1178/2011 and was published in March last year.

The EU does not publish amended regulations - it simply publishes the changes in a new Regulation and expects everyone to keep themselves up to date. The copy of 1178/2011 on Eur-Lex will become progressively out of date as the legislation moves on, the next change being due on 8 April.

ifitaintboeing
21st Feb 2015, 08:47
You can access the consolidated versions here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/503/20140725TableForWebV19.pdf

ifitaint...

nick14
21st Feb 2015, 11:19
The above doesn't yet contain the detail from 245 but will do in due course