PDA

View Full Version : Vale Stephen Combe RM

Heliringer
19th Feb 2015, 07:28
Two dead in helicopter crash near Queenstown | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/66402036/two-dead-in-helicopter-crash-near-queenstown)

A great bloke. RIP

junglie-driver
19th Feb 2015, 12:46
Such a top bloke! Many great memories from 847 NAS.

Doors Off
19th Feb 2015, 23:57
Very sad news. A true Royal and a bloody top bloke. Condolences to the families.

Flying Fishead
21st Feb 2015, 20:53
I met Steve on grading. We then did survival training, EFT, and BFT together. He ran everywhere, normally in fancy dress, and preferably up unfeasibly steep mountains. Who can forget the story of him dancing with Geri Halliwell on stage in blonde wig and all the gear to enormous cheers from all the lads at the show - he'd of course taken the fancy dress in preference to half his other kit.

Though he and the family had moved to NZ not long after he left the RM he was never far from the thoughts of those who knew him. He will be much missed, as a great bloke with just the right balance in life.

We'll miss you, mate.

kiwifan
22nd Feb 2015, 10:47
This is my first post so please bear with me....I use PPRUNE very infrequently.

I am a current serving Jungly but I never met or knew Stephen as he was slightly before my era. From the limited research i have done this morning he appeared to be an absolute gentleman aviator. My thoughts go out to his family and all who knew him in this difficult time. I first learned of his tragic accident last night from my wife via her uncle who is in NZ.

He is now living in NZ and retired from the Corps about 8 years ago. I am not sure if there is a Royal Marines association out there but he has been asked to say a few words at his funeral as a fellow Bootneck. He was not an aviator so their paths never crossed. He has asked if i knew him or if I could find a little bit more about Stephen so he could say a few fittings words at his funeral which i understand is due to take place next Saturday.

If anybody could help me pass this info on it would be most helpful and would provide a fitting tribute to Stephen and some comfort for his family in this difficult time.

If you would like to pass anything on then please PM me and i will get it out to Ben in NZ.

Thank you in advance.

cobaltfrog
22nd Feb 2015, 16:27
Who can forget Gervais's salon on the O boat with him dressed in a sarong and flip flops, his humour and his sharp wit, sometimes with a hefty barb - but funny. A competent aviator and yes with always a dress in the top of the bergen just in case! Great to serve with him on '47 with many others i'm sure. A sad loss to everyone i'm sure.