PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo Removal Cream

ORAC
18th Feb 2015, 08:03
Not a major headline, but one that caught my eye. Never had a tattoo myself, but I know many people who have and regret it - and laser removal is not without its complications. I would imagine this will be a godsend. Good for him.

New tattoo removal cream promises to fade ink, doesn't hurt and only costs 3 (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/new-tattoo-removal-cream-promises-to-fade-ink-doesnt-hurt-and-only-costs-3-10051751.html)

A Canadian student has developed a new method of tattoo removal that could save people a good deal of pain and expense, allowing them to get rid of regrettable tats by simply rubbing cream into them.

"When comparing it to laser-based tattoo removal, in which you see the burns, the scarring, the blisters, in this case, we've designed a drug that doesn't really have much off-target effect," 27-year-old PhD student and inventor Alec Falkenham told CBC. "We're not targeting any of the normal skin cells, so you won't see a lot of inflammation. In fact, based on the process that we're actually using, we don't think there will be any inflammation at all and it would actually be anti-inflammatory."

How it works

During a tattoo, ink is injected into the skin. This causes an immune response and cells called 'macrophages' move to the area to 'eat up' the ink. Some carry it away to the body's lymph nodes but others over-eat and stay stranded in your skin, forming the tattoo. Falkenham's cream targets them by making new microphages arrive to consume the old ink-filled ones, starting the process from the beginning and causing the tattoo to slowly but surely fade.

Not only is it a safer method than laser removal, but it should be a lot cheaper. Falkenham doesn't yet know how many applications will be required (the cream is still in the testing phase), but he estimates four cents per square centimetre around $4.50 or 3 for a 10-centimetre by 10-centimetre area.

"Alec is a trail blazer in tattoo removal. He came to ILI with an idea, tangentially related to his graduate research, that had real-life applicability," said Andrea McCormick, manager of health and life sciences at Falkenham's Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. "His initial research has shown great results and his next stage of research will build on those results, developing his technology into a product that can eventually be brought to market."

VH-MLE
18th Feb 2015, 08:12
Yes, tattoo removal will be a HUGE business in the years ahead...

VH-MLE

onetrack
18th Feb 2015, 08:12
Good for him, I'll wager it will be an exploding market in a few short years to come.

I'll wager the process outlined below, is never explained to anyone acquiring a tattoo. It should be compulsory.

During a tattoo, ink is injected into the skin. This causes an immune response and cells called 'macrophages' move to the area to 'eat up' the ink. Some carry it away to the body's lymph nodes but others over-eat and stay stranded in your skin, forming the tattoo

I have often stated to someone who was considering a tattoo, "Why do you want to fill your largest and most important body organ, with a large amount of unknown quality pigments and dyes, that the body regards as an invasion by foreign bodies? - and responds accordingly - and do you know exactly what the long-term potential for cancers, and other life-threatening diseases is, from the injection of those pigments and dyes, that have no known QC process for ensuring there are no potent toxins in the product?

They usually go quiet and reconsider the attraction of tattoos.

Ancient Mariner
18th Feb 2015, 08:21
causing the tattoo to slowly but surely fade.
Time does that too, for free.
Per

P6 Driver
18th Feb 2015, 09:22
I have a relative who had forearms decorated while in the RN during the 60's. He removed them by dabbing them with acid using cotton wool balls over a period of weeks. The result is no tattoos, but his arms are a complete mess.

sitigeltfel
18th Feb 2015, 09:28
Time does that too, for free.
Per

Not sure about that. Otzi still has his (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96tzi) after over 5000 years. ;)

Fliegenmong
18th Feb 2015, 09:33
Agree onetrack....

During a tattoo, ink is injected into the skin. This causes an immune response and cells called 'macrophages' move to the area to 'eat up' the ink. Some carry it away to the body's lymph nodes but others over-eat and stay stranded in your skin, forming the tattoo

And, yes I bet it is not! Not 'inked' myself, personally not a fan, but I do recall posting here years and years ago being at a 'WaterPark', overseeing a bunch of 10 - 12 year old kids (It was my Son's Birthday), and not having tatts myself, thought, out of sooo very many people here....I am something of an oddity....and it was then that I remembered thinking...Hey! Tat removal will be BIG business one day!!!....fast forward 6 - 7 years, andsure enough Tat removal all over the radio, bus advertising...you name it!!

Perhaps the only thing I've ever forecast would be 'Big', naturally, not enough resources to capitlise on it, but still kinda nice to think I was right (Seriously, whatever made you think dogs paws tatttoed across your t!tt$ and up your neck was ever going to look good! :ugh:

Ancient Mariner
18th Feb 2015, 09:52
Sitigelfel: Not sure about that. Otzi still has his after over 5000 years.

Yup, but like mine they are faded, although I confess to being just a tiny bit younger than him.
Per

Stanwell
18th Feb 2015, 10:09
A friend's daughter has a successful (she's doing a roaring trade) tattooing business in Brisbane.

He husband has set up a business not far away - can you guess what it is?
Yep, - tattoo removal.

Talk about having five bob each way. :rolleyes:

teeteringhead
18th Feb 2015, 10:16
Talk about having five bob each way. Not unlike my thoughts when I discovered (from Milady T and the Teeterettes) that the same company made their heated rollers .... and hair staighteners!

flying lid
18th Feb 2015, 15:16
I had LLANDUDNO tattoo'd on my pecker when I was young & daft.

No cream needed, it just reads LUDO now !!

Lid

dazdaz1
18th Feb 2015, 15:26
flying lid......From my welsh travels to Rhyl I still have this tattooed on Mr Softie...

Llanfair*pwllgwyngyll*gogery*chwyrn*drobwll*llan*tysilio*gog o*goch.

ShyTorque
18th Feb 2015, 16:45
I had LLANDUDNO tattoo'd on my pecker when I was young & daft.
No cream needed, it just reads LUDO now !!
Lid

I heard of a Welshman who asked for "Mumbles Lighthouse" tattooed along his length. He went away from the tattoo parlour feeling forever embarrassed because it was discovered, too late, he only had room for the word "MUM".

gcap
18th Feb 2015, 16:58
https://vimeo.com/69310297

Tankertrashnav
18th Feb 2015, 17:17
I was trying to talk my daughter out of having a visible tattoo some years ago. She argued that it was fashionable so I told her that really wide flares were once very fashionable, but imagine you had bought a pair and found you then had to wear flares every day for the rest of your life.

She got the point, thankfully.

fa2fi
18th Feb 2015, 18:32
Very interesting. I wish them well. I had no idea of the tattoo process. I can't abide the things. My father had a large 3" x 4" black and blue splodge on his arm. It looked like a severe bruise. Apparently it was a sailing ship he got trying to be cool and fit in when it was fashionable to do so. I should imagine those he was at sea with all have equally as hideous marks on their bodies.

Mac the Knife
18th Feb 2015, 18:45
Most of the ink particles are not conveniently sitting in macrophages.

No tattoo is truly removable without scars or marks of some kind

I'll believe it when I see some real clinical results.

Mac

"Extra! Extra!
Read all about it
The Pinball Wizard in a miracle cure!
Extra! Extra!
Read all about it
EXTRA!"

:cool:

uffington sb
18th Feb 2015, 18:45
Tankertrashnav.

Are you saying that my extra wide flares are no longer fashionable??

You'll be saying my platform shoes are so last year next!

victor tango
18th Feb 2015, 18:51
Tankertrashnav
Must tell my son that one thanks
trouble is my pyjamas are flared :cool:

Tankertrashnav
18th Feb 2015, 23:42
Tankertrashnav.

Are you saying that my extra wide flares are no longer fashionable??

Stick around - they'll come back sooner or later. Better hope it's sooner rather than later though ;)

G-CPTN
19th Feb 2015, 00:01
Back in the 1980s, we (my wife and I) were invited to a 60s night, and managed to find suitable period clothing.

Our teenage children remarked "You aren't going out dressed like that are you?"

Oh, how the tables were turned . . .

onetrack
19th Feb 2015, 00:15
Of course, one has to keep in mind, that a sizeable number of tattoos are done with much forethought, and tastefully executed, and remain a source of mirth ... errr .. great interest .. for many decades afterwards .... :E

http://www.rantchic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Brenda-from-Ned-Hardy.jpg

funfly
19th Feb 2015, 02:29
And his wife's name is……………..Mary? :D

Edited to add that he might think that it's Mary on his back and no-one has the nerve to tell him!

FullOppositeRudder
19th Feb 2015, 05:09
A nine inch angle grinder would probably do a fairly good job of removing them .... :eek: - Under sterile conditions of course ...

(Sorry, it's Black Humour day here :E)