PDA

View Full Version : Shrove Tuesday

victor tango
17th Feb 2015, 18:15
It's Shrove Tuesday, and she's cooked fish cakes for tonights grub:rolleyes:

Lonewolf_50
17th Feb 2015, 18:43
Ah, but are they fish pancakes? :}

I need to thank you. While digging up some trivia on Shrove Tuesday, I tripped across the etymology of Carnivale .. more or less "farewell to flesh" which turned a little light on in my head.

I must tip my cap to the folks in Brazil. If one is going to say good bye to flesh, what better way than to display so much of it in glorious fashion, as they tend to do during Carnivale?

*tips cap*

ricardian
17th Feb 2015, 19:33
My first attempt at pancakes today was a moderate success. All were edible and as I had no lemon juice I used a jar of honey & cinnamon

rogerg
17th Feb 2015, 21:07
My daughter insisted today. I flipped at least six with no probs but she had Nuttela and Strawberry's in hers. UGH. Caster and lemon juice was super for me.

Keef
17th Feb 2015, 21:10
I find I can't eat as many these days as I used to. Pity, that.

tony draper
17th Feb 2015, 21:13
I didn't get any :(

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Feb 2015, 21:19
Nice lunch out today at a posh place locally that's quite excellent, so no 'tea' as such.

Just pancakes. With syrup. Yum!

Tankertrashnav
17th Feb 2015, 21:50
Cooking the pancakes on Shrove Tuesday has always been my job, and is my opportunity to impress Mrs TTN as they land back in the pan, neatly flipped over to the other side, every time. The first one is always a bit of a mess though, I never get the pan hot enough at first.

[QUOTE]My daughter insisted today. I flipped at least six with no probs but she had Nuttela and Strawberry's in hers. UGH. Caster and lemon juice was super for me.[QUOTE]

I was remarking to Mrs TTN as she was anointing the freshly cooked pancakes with brown sugar and lemon juice (her job) that I had heard some people with depraved tastebuds actually put chocolate spread in theirs!

Heresy :=

ShyTorque
17th Feb 2015, 21:51
Pancake day just about over by the time I got home. None left.... :(

jimtherev
17th Feb 2015, 22:01
Response to my plaintive question tonight "No pancakes?"
"Cook yer own. And by the way, you'll have to go round to the shop for eggs."
Luxury fish pie tonight, which was yummy, but not the same.

JimR
17th Feb 2015, 23:26
Kinda sad actually here in Brazil; plenty of flesh but no pancakes!

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Feb 2015, 03:46
Cinnamon sugar and a squeeze of lemon juice in these here parts.

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 12:33
SRT:

Cinnamon sugar on your pancakes, SRT? Kind of girly, isn't it? :}:E:}:E

Octopussy2
18th Feb 2015, 12:40
Ricardian well done!

Tanker - the first pancake has to be rubbish/inedible. It's the rule! I just automatically throw the first one away.

Late home last night so we didn't have any. May have to make some for the children at the weekend to make up for it.

Lemon and sugar is unbeatable, although flambéed in any nice alcohol that's handy (mmmm, Calvados) always goes down well too.

ricardian
18th Feb 2015, 12:49
My neighbours are a Swedish couple who run the island's Post Office - literally just across the road from me. Yesterday evening the husband brought over a semla (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semla) which his wife had just baked. Absolutely delicious!

https://d1vlhxry9oul9s.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/semla-new-picture.jpg

dazdaz1
18th Feb 2015, 14:16
I bought the ready made 8 pack, nuke for 30 secs per pancake, cover with honey then roll up.

MagnusP
18th Feb 2015, 14:23
MrsP made some lemon and currant pancakes (not the crepe type, but sometimes called drop scones) but she and her knitting mates scoffed the lot while I was out at the car wash. In her flamin' car! :*

dazdaz1
18th Feb 2015, 14:35
I bet you had a nice jumper/pullover knitted for you when you returned home.;)

Evanelpus
18th Feb 2015, 14:41
I didn't get any

Yeah but what about the pancakes Drapes?

Could only manage five and a runty one myself, lots of sugar and lemon, they were yummy. :ok:

MagnusP
18th Feb 2015, 14:57
dazdaz1, apparently I'm not one of the charities they're currently knitting for. :(

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 14:57
I can't get over the number of people in this thread who put lemon on/in their pancakes. :yuk::yuk::yuk:

The world has gone mad.

Tankertrashnav
18th Feb 2015, 16:11
You mean you DON'T put lemon on your pancakes? :yuk:

I guess its this sweet tooth thing. Not many Americans I know "get" marmalade either. And yet you put salt on your popcorn :confused:

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 16:14
Lemon goes well with fish. But not with pancakes. Would you eat pancakes topped with fish? Or would you like some Brussels sprouts with your pancakes as well? :}:}:}

wings folded
18th Feb 2015, 16:17
A dash of lemon complements the sprouts' slight bitterness. Ask c-p. He knows about this stuff.

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 16:18
Calling con-pilot, come in con-pilot. Is this true about lemon on Brussels sprouts? Hmmmm? :}

Tankertrashnav
18th Feb 2015, 16:23
lemon + fish :ok:
lemon + pancakes :ok:
fish + pancakes :suspect:
fish + brussels sprouts :*
brussels sprouts + lemon :yuk:

Lonewolf_50
18th Feb 2015, 16:48
My son and I have been adding lemon juice to pancake batter for years. Makes them better.

Exascot
18th Feb 2015, 16:54
Totally missed the event here. Big thing in Greece though. Carnival and the start of fasting.

Of course you have lemon on pancakes. Golly there are some plebs out there. As Mrs Exascot would say, 'NOCD', (not our class darling). :p

MadsDad
18th Feb 2015, 16:54
Must admit I've never thought of adding lemon juice to the batter - I would have thought it would tend to make it curdle (separate?).

But always sprinkle lemon juice and sugar (or Golden Syrup) on cooked pancakes (preferably granulated sugar - gives a nice crunchy texture).

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 16:59
The ONLY proper way to serve pancakes, damn it. :}

http://www.onceuponachef.com/images/2013/01/banana-pancakes3.jpg

Or, my favorite: whole grain banana pecan pancakes. (No lemon either)

http://www.jerseygirlcooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/banana-pancakes.jpg

Solid Rust Twotter
18th Feb 2015, 17:40
Those are what civilised folk refer to as large crumpets, Mr Rock.:}

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 17:55
SRT:

I thought crumpets were something else entirely? :E:E:E

wings folded
18th Feb 2015, 17:57
There we have it.

To an American, a pancake is not the same thing as it is to a European.

Pancakes over there are some 5mm thick, about 7 or 8 cms diameter, dosed with maple syrup and served with (alleged) bacon. Or other weird combinations.

A european pancake is a micron or two thick, served sometimes, in the words of Dylan, as "suzette, please make that crêpe" (115th dream for those not keeping up), so flambée with Grand Marnier, as invented by Excoffier. It will have the diameter of a normal frying pan.

You make one at a time. You serve the ones that do not remain stuck to the ceiling after failed attempts at flipping.

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 18:06
wings:

Not entirely true. German Pfannkuchen are very similar in shape and size to American pancakes. Though the Germans tend to garnish Pfannkuchen with Apfelmus (Apple sauce) or something similar.

German Pfannkuchen:

http://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/B7OuEbiTo7Dm6-LoLFjMPg/o.jpg

wings folded
18th Feb 2015, 18:16
We have a history of resisting things German😡

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 18:19
wings:

Ach zu liebe Gott. :eek:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
18th Feb 2015, 18:58
Ingredients of US pancake sauce 'made to look like Maple Syrup':
CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.

Ingredient of maple syrup that will be on Fox3's pancakes tomorrow morning: Maple Syrup.

I thank you.

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 19:14
Fox3:

We get our maple syrup from one of two origins: Canada or Vermont. None of this Aunt Jemima crap.

:p:p

This is preferred:

http://stussy-wordpress-production.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/02-Stussy-Syrup-121220.jpg

Fox3WheresMyBanana
18th Feb 2015, 19:17
Glad to hear it!

So, snow and maple syrup; anything else you get from up North? ;)

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 19:18
Cold, arctic-like temperatures, thank you very much. :p

PEI mussels.

Oh, and Elisha Cuthbert!!!!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvSYVFAN8OX0_u1WS3nVw2WVdGD8Cl3noye4UjBuP l71K1cBMgFA

Fox3WheresMyBanana
18th Feb 2015, 19:34
That makes sense - she's married to the captain of the Maple Leafs, so she's used to complete losers ;)

http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z464/mccall187/Toronto_Maple_Leafs_1_.jpg

Still, she spends her summers about 5 miles up the road from me. Let me know if you'd like an intro.

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 19:36
I guess you're not a big fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs then, eh fox3? :}

wings folded
18th Feb 2015, 19:38
OK, just to be accurate in a culinary sense:

Galette= savoury pancake

Crepe= sweet pancake

North American pancake = whatever they have invented. They can call it what they want if they enjoy it. Like Belgian waffles. A little bit unknown in Belgium

Fox3WheresMyBanana
18th Feb 2015, 19:40
My philosophy, and indeed my habit, of winning does not seem to have much in common with the Leafs.
More importantly, they play crap hockey because too many of the players are lazy, selfish whiners. I don't need to remind a Ranger about worthiness of that attitude.

We also get English muffins over here, which I had never heard of in 40 years of living in England. Well, apart from
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39102000/jpg/_39102967_muffin2.jpg
although I believe Muffin the Mule is now illegal.

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 19:44
Lazy, selfish whiners never amount to anything: that's a given.

Did you use the word Ranger? My favorite team!!! :}

http://www.nationalsportsbeat.com/images/logos/nhl/New_York_Rangers.jpg

Fox3WheresMyBanana
18th Feb 2015, 19:46
Rangers, as in 'Canadiens shut out punchless Rangers'? ;)

Canadiens, Price shut out punchless Rangers - Sportsnet.ca (http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens-new-york-rangers-game-recap/)

although, to be fair, I remember watching the game and the Rangers did very well, but the Habs goalie played a blinder.

obgraham
18th Feb 2015, 19:51
RG: Like anyone else here in N Am, I enjoy a nice stack of pancakes, with real maple syrup (okay if you're cheap, you can dilute it 50% with Mrs Butterworth!).

But our Brit co-conspirators here are quite right. Nothing compares to a lovely English style thin pancake, dusted with sugar, then drizzled with fresh lemon juice, and rolled up.

This of course is a dinner time ("tea-time") item. Nothing to do with breakfast.

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 19:55
Fox3:

I remember the game well. But let's put it into perspective, shall we? The Canadians one 1-0, it's not like it was an overwhelming defeat!

rgbrock1
18th Feb 2015, 19:56
obgraham:

I wouldn't dream of eating anything of the sort for dinner. I'll stick with the North American mode of pancaking! :}:E

parabellum
18th Feb 2015, 21:20
Tanker - the first pancake has to be rubbish/inedible. It's the rule! I just automatically throw the first one away.Octopussy - You don't have a dog then? ;)

seacue
18th Feb 2015, 23:19
Canadian and Vermont maple syrup.

You are forgetting real Geauga County maple syrup from Northern Ohio.

Very expensive, though.

funfly
19th Feb 2015, 01:34
Pancakes are brilliant cooked directly on the plate of the Aga…but it's a bugger to toss them as our Aga weights about a ton.

ChrisVJ
19th Feb 2015, 03:00
Yeah, we had pancakes yesterday.

Then today we were still hungry after Shepherd's pie so we had pancake again.

For me pancakes are comfort food. Each time I have them I remember standing on a chair in front of the stove making pancakes with my grandmother. It's only sixty five years ago but the memory of her kitchen is clearer than yesterday.

Octopussy2
19th Feb 2015, 08:44
parabellum I have two cats, one of whom thinks he's a dog. So maybe I should let him have a crack at the failed one :)

Tankertrashnav
19th Feb 2015, 08:59
Re English Muffins, I'm with you there, fox. First one I ever saw here was in Macdonalds. Similarly Danish pastries - in Denmark the term for Danish pastry is wienerbrød, (Viennese bread). However in In Vienna the Danish pastry, is called Kopenhagener Plunder or Dänischer Plunder.

As a kid I used to love American Ice Cream Soda, which I strongly suspect doesn't exist in the US!

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Feb 2015, 09:19
We'd call it a Coke float (cola with ice cream).

beaufort1
19th Feb 2015, 09:27
I much prefer the 'galette', made from buckwheat and very thin. The 'complet' would be my first choice. :ok:

Here's one I prepared earlier. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Lik4qTAK4

Tankertrashnav
19th Feb 2015, 09:30
Definitely wasnt Coke, SRT. Clear, like lemonade, although frequently drunk with a scoop of ice cream in it. Happy memories of Sunday mornings with my dad after mass in one of the many Italian cafes which you found all over Glasgow at the time.

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Feb 2015, 09:38
Ah, cream soda Mr TTN. For some strange reason it's green in these here parts...

http://www.thesaffashop.com/image/cache/data/Products/creme_2l-500x500.jpg

rgbrock1
19th Feb 2015, 11:55
As a kid I used to love American Ice Cream Soda, which I strongly suspect doesn't exist in the US!

Ice cream soda? Of course it does. Well, did for the most part. In some extreme rural areas you can still find them though. I have a mom and pop shop in the town I live in and they still have ice cream sodas from the fountain. As well as Coca Cola in glass bottles. :ok:

panda-k-bear
19th Feb 2015, 12:12
Ah, but in Britain (Ice) Cream Soda is the name of a particular soda pop that has a strong, and sickly sweet, flavour of vanilla.

I suspect it's supposed to represent the flavour of vanilla ice cream but without actually having the ice cream.

As for pancakes... I hates 'em. I cooked some for my two boys and the missus, who all love them. I did find a tolerable one in Carcassonne once that consisted of a crepe folded up in a parcel containing vanilla ice cream, banana, chocolate sauce and chantilly. I reckon I liked that one because you couldn't taste the bloody pancake.

Proper French Crepes, by the way, also have a specific kind of Grand Marnier syrup added into the batter (not purely Grand Marnier). Look out for it in French shops. Instead of an orange bottle top, it has a yellow one. I'm told by those that like this stuff that it does make the world of difference to the flavour.

tony draper
19th Feb 2015, 14:20
Haven't had Cream Soda for years,usta love it,not sure if it is to be had these days.
:)

Null Orifice
19th Feb 2015, 14:56
It's still available in the UK from A.G.Barr (purveyors of many things liquid but NOT alcoholic) - however, they sell it in cans (not bottles).
AND (a word to the wise:rolleyes:), check out the ingredients on their website first - there are some weird-sounding things in it, but no ice cream!).

Octopussy2
19th Feb 2015, 15:05
I was at school with a scion of the Barr family. Her birthday parties were always enhanced by unlimited supplies of Tizer.

Going to the Wimpy for a coke float used to be a serious treat when I was about 12 (same era as the Tizer parties). Not sure I could get through one now.