PDA

View Full Version : Brooklands : Heritage Lottery Fund Grant

Capetonian
17th Feb 2015, 15:23
A fantastic piece of news which has just been announced :

The Museum has received a grant of £4.68 million for the Brooklands Aircraft Factory & Race Track Revival Project.

This will make a huge and positive difference to the future of the museum, the racetrack project, and the longevity of the collection of historic aircraft, some of which are showing signs of exposure to the elements.

This will be announced on BBC TV news this afternoon.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Feb 2015, 16:56
Great news! Is there any 'match funding' on top of the HLF grant?

skua
18th Feb 2015, 15:29
A Winn Winn situation.

Hat, coat......

joy ride
18th Feb 2015, 18:16
Great news.

BEagle
18th Feb 2015, 18:47
The aircraft (particularly the VC10 and Concorde) REALLY need some protection from the elements.

The motor museum is superb though.

But great news indeed!!

Sir George Cayley
18th Feb 2015, 19:19
Agreed, great news. The Brooklands experience is great but the least great is the hangar that houses the Wellington. Dark and over crowded to say the least.

As for the track, I'd love to see it improve sympathetically.

SGC

joy ride
19th Feb 2015, 07:47
To me 4.8 million does not seem a huge amount to improve the hangar or build a new one, cover/protect the outside planes AND repair the remaining track, so hopefully other funds might be available, but anything is better than nothing. To me VC10 and Concorde are pinnacles of design and engineering and deserve to be preserved.

Jhieminga
19th Feb 2015, 08:26
This grant is in support of a refurbishment and move of the Wellington hangar which will clear the original finishing straight. Also a new annexe will be built (the Flight Shed) which will house some of the aircraft from the Wellington hangar. The hangar itself will become the Brooklands Aircraft Factory exhibit which will show how aircraft were built at the site.
http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/images/sized/images/uploads/news/2-_Aerial_view_of_Museum_site_at_completion_of_HLF_project_com p-800x468.jpg

More here: Brooklands Museum (http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/news/story/brooklands-museum-secures-hlf-investment)