PDA

View Full Version : underhanded promotions

rans6andrew
17th Feb 2015, 14:48
bought some bottled beer the other week, as I fancied trying some new varieties. In part, my choice was swayed by a promotion on one of the bottles "free entry into a draw to win a 4X4 vehicle". I read the small print, "just enter the code number from under the crown on our website for a chance to win", No restrictions on the number of entries, just one per bottle. I'll have a few of those then.

So, last evening I opened one of the promo bottles, checked the number under the lid, went to the website to enter it. Bu66er, the promotion finished on 31/12/2014, not that this was mentioned anywhere on the bottle, I checked. This is a bit of a pi55er, especially as the use by date on the beer is still 5 months away.

I wonder if this would concern the ASA?

Rans6......

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Feb 2015, 15:14
You should be thankful. You might have ended up at the wheel of Chelsea Tractor! :}

603DX
17th Feb 2015, 17:24
Like many others, I have long felt that these promotions are a bit of a catchpenny racket, with little or no monitoring to see that they are actually realised in practice. So I smiled tolerantly when our younger daughter later filled in a competition entry form off one of the bottles of Oz Barramundi wine that we had provided for her wedding reception. The prize was a "luxury, all-expenses paid" trip for two to Australia.

In the marquee, my wife had taken a photo of the happy couple cutting the wedding cake, not noticing that in the foreground was one of the wine bottles. The automatic camera focussed on the bottle label, which came out crystal clear in the eventual picture, with a sort of dreamy soft-focus image of bride and groom in the background. So daughter included a print of this with her entry, and as the required slogan, something like "the perfect wine for that special day".

Well, it apparently hit the spot, because she won the competition, and the lucky pair were duly taken by stretch limo to the airport to fly Premium Class by Cathay Pacific to Sydney, where they were again stretch-limo'd to a 5-star Darling Harbour hotel, with umpteen dollars spending money. They had a marvellous time, with trips to the Blue Mountains, an Opera House performance, and other treats. So sometimes, these promotions are 100% genuine ... :cool:

Keef
17th Feb 2015, 17:45
Lovely story! Congrats to the happy couple!

OFSO
17th Feb 2015, 18:19
I have done exactly the same, bought a few bottles of some wretched stuff, hair oil or tincture or liquer or something like that, after buying half-a-dozen and unpeeling the labels off a few more in the supermarkey I checked the date and found the competition had ended a full twelve months before.

Windy Militant
17th Feb 2015, 19:26
Huh you were disappointed! Christmas time I was given some beer that promised to give the winners a flight in a Lancaster! yaay :D

Then I saw the closing date. booo :{

Still never mind I did get a whole ten pence off a bag of liquorice allsorts the other day. Having thought about it, it probably cost me that much to print out the coupon. :(

rans6andrew
18th Feb 2015, 22:28
I don't do Chelsea Tractors, although the prize might have been one, I immediately thought about the trade-in opportunity that winning one might present. My existing 4X4 is a 15 year old Subaru Legacy Estate and it has crossed my mind that it might be getting due for replacement with more of the same when pocket money allows.

I can't understand the current trend for everyone to drive around in 4X4 trucks which never venture off the tarmac, don't fit in parking spaces, don't fit in my garage, are too high for loading etc. My Legacy is a convenient height for loading, it was used to fetch my aircraft engine one snowy day a few years ago and I was able to load and unload it unaided using a short plank that went inside the car.

I recently had to chuckle to myself when I saw a chappie washing his truck by hand. There was no danger that he would be able to reach the roof without the aid of a step ladder. I would have finished washing my car long before he had finished climbing up and down and moving his ladder. Still, it kept me entertained while I was stuck in queuing traffic.

Rans6......

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Feb 2015, 22:36
I can't understand the current trend for everyone to drive around in 4X4 trucks which never venture off the tarmac, don't fit in parking spaces, don't fit in my garage, are too high for loading etc.

One word: Intimidation.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
18th Feb 2015, 22:49
Nope, it's simple momentum. When a 2.5 ton Chelsea Tractor hits a 1 ton sedan, the sedan driver dies and the Chelsea Tractor driver gets a bit of whiplash.

Doesn't matter whose fault it was.

Many people are scared. Whether that is due to self-knowledge of their own abysmal driving skills, or that of others, or both; the fact is there's a lot of sh!t drivers out there. The high seating position has a lot to do with it too, because people feel safer..

11Fan
18th Feb 2015, 23:59
I can't understand the current trend for everyone to drive around in 4X4 trucks which never venture off the tarmacThey are called "Concrete Cowboys."

I'm inclined to go have some bumper stickers made and sneak up behind them at the stoplight. They would probably not even see me in the rear view mirror.

The stickers you ask? Well, they would simply say "Big Truck, Little Dick."

G-CPTN
19th Feb 2015, 00:16
Round here, the posing 4x4s are driven by females.

Not all are 'young' (or even middle-aged) - though many are 'yummy mummies', no doubt with their children at private schools.

Some are driven by 'upper class pensioners' - noticeable by the ancient low digit registrations (that have obviously been in the family for generations). Agreed that these 'mature' females probably live out in the sticks, so have justification for their choice of vehicle, but they park indiscriminately in the village centre whilst they pop in to shops and coffee houses.

BWSBoy6
19th Feb 2015, 09:19
Im a blonde and I drive a Jaguar XF Portfolio Sportbrake. Does that make me a poseur? :*

Mrs Bwsboy

ORAC
19th Feb 2015, 09:39
I won a Ford Focus buying a packet of Walkers crisps. 10 years ago it was. Had to have my photo taken with Terry Venables - but with every success comes some pain.

wiggy
19th Feb 2015, 09:44
I suppose it could have been worse - I guess the second prize was a Ford Focus and having your picture taken with Gary Lineker?? :ooh:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
19th Feb 2015, 10:04
Actually, Fox, those behemoths are crap in an accident. The bodywork sits on a crude chassis, and just folds up when hit, unlike a proper car with progressive collapse to absorb impact forces it just folds like a bit of paper. Just because they look intimidating and indestructible doesn't mean they are!

They are also prone to 'roll over' accident, having such a high CG and such awful handling.

They are all about "get out my way little man. Don't you know that even though I do have a small dick, as far as vehicles are concerned might is right!".

Did you ever see one, on coming up to a car parked on the behemoth's side of the road, give way to opposite direction traffic? No, they just barge through!

They are ludicrous things on-road, saying seriously sad things about those who feel the need to buy one.

ShyTorque
19th Feb 2015, 10:21
Im a blonde and I drive a Jaguar XF Portfolio Sportbrake. Does that make me a poseur?

I'd say not, but I would say that your nineteen year old husband has done pretty well for himself. :ok:

BWSBoy6
19th Feb 2015, 11:27
Hahaha! The 19 year old is my son! I've hijacked his user name because it's such a brilliant forum. However, the 19 year old doesn't get to hijack my Jag in return. Ironic that the insurance would be astronomic for him to drive it as it's 3 litre but he is training for an ATPL so will hopefully be in control of a vehicle with much greater horsepower! Funny old world. :ok:

Exascot
19th Feb 2015, 12:11
A VC10 colleague of mine had the opportunity to do a resettlement course. He already had an airline job lined up but thought a HGV course would be fun. Day one the burly instructor said, 'I bet that you have never driven anything this big before'. Student replied, 'Actually I have it was 150 tonnes.....(pause for effect).....and that was a three wheeler'.

And, you steered it with your feet.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Feb 2015, 12:19
SSD - I know, hence feel safer, not are safer.

I have a strong bias toward risk compensation theory.
In short, arrogant jerks will be arrogant jerks, whatever vehicle they own.

ShyTorque
19th Feb 2015, 12:34
Hahaha! The 19 year old is my son! I've hijacked his user name because it's such a brilliant forum. However, the 19 year old doesn't get to hijack my Jag in return. Ironic that the insurance would be astronomic for him to drive it as it's 3 litre but he is training for an ATPL so will hopefully be in control of a vehicle with much greater horsepower! Funny old world. :ok:

His Mum? Brilliant - that must be a first on PPRuNe, a mum hacking her son's username. And the dreaded 'h' word on our aviation forum! Is your son squawking 7500? :cool:

I hope his mates don't find out you're using his username; he'll never live it down! :p

BWSBoy6
19th Feb 2015, 12:58
:):):). I guess if his mates find out, it'll be a 7700 squawk! Sorry, I forgot, I shouldn't use the 'h' word on here; a bit like using the 'b' word at the airport. Perhaps I should say I've 'commandeered' his user name.

onetrack
19th Feb 2015, 13:14
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a little excited at finding a competition - and then loses that excitement, when one finds out in the fine print, that it ended 3 months ago!

I did however, win a new pushbike in a raffle at a street festival, about 3 yrs ago. However, I hadn't long bought myself a new bike - so I gave the win to SWMBO, who was mightily pleased.
The bike prize was valued at $280, but the bike prize model wasn't exactly what she wanted.
She spotted a better version more suited to her, valued at $420, and the bike shop owner was quite happy to give her the $280 credit on the $420 model.
So she paid the extra $140 and got herself a nice bike that she still enjoys riding.

Quite a number of years ago (maybe 25-28 yrs back), a mates brother won a Porsche in a raffle. He said he didn't like it, and he went and traded it in on a new Kombi van!! :suspect:

ShyTorque
19th Feb 2015, 13:28
:):):). I guess if his mates find out, it'll be a 7700 squawk! Sorry, I forgot, I shouldn't use the 'h' word on here; a bit like using the 'b' word at the airport. Perhaps I should say I've 'commandeered' his user name.

He might squawk 7600 with you when he finds out!

Why not register yourself under another username?
A blonde with a Jag and a sense of humour is always welcome ;)

Stanwell
19th Feb 2015, 14:21
Nah.
Forget about those dills charging about in their 2.5 tonne behemoths.
Real [email protected] drive BMWs.

Q: What's the difference between Porcupines and BMWs?
A: Porcupines have the pr1cks on the outside.

hiflymk3
19th Feb 2015, 14:52
Do BMWs have indicator stalks? Their drivers do seem to have difficulty in finding them.

I remember the Hoover Free Flight promo/fiasco in the early 90s. To free up warehouse space Hoover offered free flights if you spent 100. Totally oversubscribed they lost out big time, folks took serious advantage of it. At 100 return to the USA who wouldn't?

MG23
19th Feb 2015, 14:53
Actually, Fox, those behemoths are crap in an accident. The bodywork sits on a crude chassis, and just folds up when hit, unlike a proper car with progressive collapse to absorb impact forces it just folds like a bit of paper. Just because they look intimidating and indestructible doesn't mean they are!

The majority of modern SUVs are car-based, not truck-based. The truck-based SUV only appeared because the US government demanded higher fuel economy from cars than trucks, and is fading now car-based SUVs can hit those economy numbers.

The Subaru Forester, for example, is one of the few vehicles that fully met the new US offset crash test, even though it was designed before the new tests came out.

They are also prone to 'roll over' accident, having such a high CG and such awful handling.

Again, few modern car-based SUVs are tall enough to have much more chance of rolling over than a big car.