PDA

View Full Version : Inflation at lowest ever point?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Feb 2015, 11:03
"Beer down 6.8%" crows the BBC. Really? Not in my local it's not - up by about 10% over this time last year! Similar in other pubs I've visited, and absolutely no price reductions over last year's prices.

G.Green
17th Feb 2015, 11:11
http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4ab8ea7e9326e92d6f0b72b5/the-fed-is-printing-yet-money-supply-is-falling.jpg

ExXB
17th Feb 2015, 11:34
Likely solely the wholesale cost of fuel, not what you pay on the forecourt.

There is officially no inflation in Switzerland, but prices have been increasing regularly. A dinner for two closer to CHF100, including wine, than 60-70 not so very long ago.

Beer? Still fairly cheap. Can still get 24 1/2l tins for CHF12, when it's on special. Normal price is CHF24. In a bar or restaurant 0.5l is anything from CHF4 to 16.

tony draper
17th Feb 2015, 12:08
Believing absolutely nothing you hear on the BBC is the wisest policy. ;:rolleyes:

MG23
17th Feb 2015, 13:57
Is that using RPI, CPI or just making it up?

This is presumably the kind of 'inflation' where they exclude the price of anything that's actually increasing in price. 'Since beer has become more expensive, people have stopped buying it and now buy alternatives instead. Hence we have removed beer from the basket and replace it with meths.'

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Feb 2015, 14:09
I suspect it's 'beer' as sold in tins in Aldi. Piss by any other name. The real thing just gets more and more expensive as pubs get squeezed by the Pubcos who add no value, but sit in the middle taking money out.

Of course the real thing, because it's getting more expensive, is excluded from the 'basket of goods' by which inflation is measured.

Krystal n chips
17th Feb 2015, 17:16
" I suspect it's "beer" sold in tins at Aldi. Piss by any other name."

Shock and awe ! No putting the blame on Labour....or B.R. ( passim ) come to that.

Anyway, as a peasant, I do appreciate that your gracing the portals of Aldi would constitute the equivalent of viewing Beachy Head...en-route to the beach below, however, you don't have to tell people you've been there, and, if you take your own bag ( save 3p here ) say with M&S, Waitrose, Harrods etc on the side, like a lot of people who wouldn't dream of going there do, being hypocritical egoists, then you might get a pleasant surprise...unlike the staff of course.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/drinks/ales-lager-and-cider/

Ever helpful, you will find there are several within 6 miles of Weemaslow

https://www.yellowmap.de/Partners/AldiSued2/Html/PoiNew.aspx?SessionGuid=7de5994b-fa63-4a59-bc6c-e5e1bef41718

racedo
17th Feb 2015, 17:29
This is presumably the kind of 'inflation' where they exclude the price of anything that's actually increasing in price. 'Since beer has become more expensive, people have stopped buying it and now buy alternatives instead. Hence we have removed beer from the basket and replace it with meths.'

People prefer to drink tinnies and wine at home rather than going to pub and that has been happening for last 25 years.

Somehow the Pubs are supposed to keep open so that people can pop in for an annual visit and say its great the village has a pub.

Remember a pub seeking to close and villagers up in arms until at a meeting Landlord said of those present only about 6 were regulars, majority of the rest had never been in the pub.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Feb 2015, 18:24
The good pubs round here are well patronised. Sam Smiths in particular; traditional pubs, no muzak, TV, or fruit machines. Just cosy rooms with real coal and wood fires, and excellent bitter at 1.80 a pint. No shortage of customers.

If they can do it, why don't others?

superq7
17th Feb 2015, 18:42
Shaggy, 1.80 a pint ? surely you mean a half, my local charges 3.20 for a pint of Bass which is not bad value.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Feb 2015, 19:26
No, 1.80 a pint. It's an excellent bitter, too. Usual price in other pubs round here for a pint of bitter range from 2.90 to 3.50.

We have 3 Sam Smiths pubs within a few miles, but none near enough to walk to, unfortunately.

Wetherspoons is 2.80 upwards.

Sam Smiths owns its pubs and the brewery. It doesn't brew fizzy piss that requires massive TV advertising to shift (i.e. most British so-called lagers like Carlesberg et al), so costs are low. And no greedy pubco raking in money without adding value!

superq7
17th Feb 2015, 20:28
Wow Shaggy that's excellent value, the pub we use twice a week (Fox Inn at Old Down near Thornbury) has just put up it's prices for beer so I'm quite jealous !
Bottoms up Stuart :ok:

Keef
17th Feb 2015, 21:00
That's strange.

A friend of mine had an inflation index going back to something like 1400. I thought I had a copy, but can't find it.

However, there's an index back to 1750 here (http://safalra.com/other/historical-uk-inflation-price-conversion/).

1920 to 1931 looks like a tad lower inflation rate than we're having right now.

Fareastdriver
17th Feb 2015, 21:23
We lived in a hiring in the Cotswolds. When we moved out in 1957 my parents could have bought it for 450. The modern equivalent is 9500. It's on the market now for 650,000.

Stupid parents!!!!! Didn't you ever think about your son!

reynoldsno1
17th Feb 2015, 21:59
Remember a pub

Some of my r1jr's friends didn't, until recently, know that 'pub' is a dimunitive of 'public house', and had some difficulties in getting their heads around what the original concept was ...