PDA

View Full Version : Now a qualified pilot what next?

Wingman1972
16th Feb 2015, 17:18
Hi all
I have recently completed my ppl training after two years on and off!
One thing I did not think about seriously was what to do next?
Do I buy into a share? Do I buy a microlite? If so which one?
I am not a millionaire so I do not want to buy a pa28 or similar as it will sit at an airfield encuring storage costs! Also the maintenance is excessive so a three axis microlite looks to be favoured so far, kitfox mk3 onwards, permit to fly, maybe a easy raider? Does anyone here been through similar?
I don't want large storage/hangarage bills either, hence looking at kitfox or cub with foldable wings I can then trailer around to and from local farm strip :(
I know flying ident a cheap sport/hobby I am just looking for good ideas really
If anyone has a kitfox or similar for sale please get in touch, also looking for local clubs/farm strip users near to bath where I can meet up with like minded enthusiasts/pilots for advice over a cuppa maybe :-)
Many thanks for your time
Kind regards, Jason

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
16th Feb 2015, 18:21
Congratulations on getting your licence.

Hopefully during the learning process you have identified the bits you enjoy, Local Bimbling – A to B Navigation – Aeros – Instrument Flying etc. The social aspect can come from attending fly-ins and going on group trips with other pilots / aircraft. I’d recommend giving the Light Aircraft Association (LAA) a look over. There will be one or more local branches (called Struts) that often hold monthly meetings and have flying events during the season. It’s a good way to meet people and see different types of aircraft. It can also be a good way of finding a Group that is looking for a new member.

Although it’s the middle of winter, or feels like that at times, the new flying season is just around the corner. That means fly-ins and other events to attend. Owners are almost always happy to talk about their aeroplanes and will often offer a flight as well.

It may take some time to find the right aircraft and ownership system for you. I was lucky in that I dropped on my preferred mount (Rans S6-116) after just 70 flying hours and have kept the same aircraft for the last 23 years.

Good luck with your flying and enjoy the research.
Richard W.

Ps. Beware of people who think that their aircraft is the perfect answer to everyone’s flying needs, it might not be a Rans S6….

Maoraigh1
16th Feb 2015, 19:24
Rent to keep current while you decide. I rented for over two years before buying the Jodel DR 1050 share I've now had for over 25 years.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Feb 2015, 20:28
Yes, rent or go around a few different schools to keep current - switching schools means a few types as well, which is no bad thing.

I'd argue don't buy outright just after qualifying, as you don't really know enough about operating an aeroplane yet. Look to a share, where you participate in managing the aeroplane, for at-least a year or so, then re-think the situation.

G

Wingman1972
16th Feb 2015, 21:35
Like I said I have just qualified and very excited to get up and learn more and enjoy flying to different locations, I will take your advice and not make any hasty decisions, I do like the rans its a contender for sure

Yes I have the option to rent from my current club but it's £140 p/h so costs can be high but worth it I guess as I am still doing what I enjoy while taking the time to decide on my best option to buy, I here a lot about the kitfox brings good starter though, ahhh decisions decisions lol

I really appreciate the input from you guys who have been there and done it, I have already had quite a few offers of aircraft for sell,
I'm definitely going to keep hiring to stay current

Thanks for your input 😉 much appreciated

Kind regards, Jason

Johnm
17th Feb 2015, 06:36
If you are at Bath, then try a visit to the Flying Shack at Gloucestershire airport. Mike Edwards has immense experience of microlight aircraft flying and training as well as being friendly and running a friendly club.

9 lives
17th Feb 2015, 10:39
Jason,

Keep current for sure, though consider taking some of your rental budget, and offering to pay for some fuel, in return for some right seat exposure in other types, particularly those which you cannot rent. Don't plan to log that time, but it builds your experience none the less, just in a different way. I would advise against buying a type which you have not flown, that's a lot of cost for something which might not meet your expectations.

I helped build several amateur builts in my early days, and in each case, decided they were not for me. I turned down offers of sharing a plane, as my personal model was to fly my own with economy, rather than "ours" part time at a larger cost. 28 years after buying my 150, I'm still happy with it, and occasionally am able to borrow something bigger and faster. But, as said, choose the right plane for you, not just because someone else thinks it's the greatest!

Maoraigh1
17th Feb 2015, 19:23
Also get a look at aircraft log books, and understand them. Before buying, look through the log book.
(I've looked at an aircraft, leading edges covered in dead flies, which hadn't flown that summer by the log book.)

thing
18th Feb 2015, 18:21
You have to do the sums and see whether owning the aircraft that fits your mission profile is cheaper than renting it. It's cheaper for me to rent for various reasons and I have looked closely and number crunched ownership or syndicate.

We all fly for different reasons so ultimately you have to decide what the best option is for you. There will always be people who tell you that they paid 3K for a share in a Blogg's Peppergum and it costs them tuppence an hour to run it; but if it doesn't do what you want it to do then it's a waste of time.

Wingman1972
18th Feb 2015, 19:53
Thanks John

I will have a look and see when is best to pop up to see Mike, sounds like s good idea to me :-)
I need to make time and get around more and meet more people to help me make the right decision, prune is a great place to get the best advice, I'm so appreciative of everyone's friendly advice here ;-) many thanks

Wingman1972
18th Feb 2015, 19:57
Thanks Stepturn

It makes a lot of sense what you say
I have to admit I am a bit impatient at times,
Thanks for your advice :-)

150 Driver
18th Feb 2015, 20:27
Nothing wrong with impatience. I bought my 150 the weekend after my licence arrived in the post...

funfly
19th Feb 2015, 01:26
Instrument training instrument training instrument training instrument training instrument training instrument training

abgd
19th Feb 2015, 05:03
For once I don't think I agree with Genghis.

You learn to fly a plane by flying. You learn to own a plane by owning. I rented for several years before recently buying this small single-seater.

esCJVvLGdEs

wWj8esWH8o0

My cautionary tale is that I didn't go to see it before buying*. I paid an inspector to look over it and he missed lots of little details such as the undercarriage being bent:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7550/15127702554_9b974d6ec7_z.jpg" width="640" height="397" alt="worse_axle

Unsurprisingly the wheel was cracked:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7382/16551860356_7f7dea33e4_z.jpg
And whilst he did pick up on some of the safety wiring that needing re-doing, he missed this:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8580/15913687699_bba52cfec4_z.jpg" width="640" height="480" alt="Turbulent. (2)

and this (thought to be fencing wire):

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8584/16073992506_8a1dfa967b_z.jpg" width="640" height="480" alt="Turbulent. (14)

And of course the rest of the aircraft was maintained to the same standard.

The inspector assured me that the engine was in good condition, but I didn't question him too closely about how he'd actually ascertained this. It turns out the aircraft was in long-term storage behind lots of farm equipment and it couldn't sensibly have been run during the inspection. Of course, all the high-tension wiring has needed replacing as did the magneto caps and the entire exhaust system, which had lots of holes in it. Unfortunately we had the legs off before realising the severity of the problem, so the engine still hasn't been run.

Added to which, half the documents are missing and the logbooks are incomplete e.g. different propeller fitted from that in the logbook.

I'm learning a lot about aircraft ownership that I'd never have learned just by flying. It's not unsatisfying but it is frustrating. I'll have been out of flying for 8 months by the time it's all projected to be fixed - and this is almost exactly what you don't need at this point in time.

That said, if you get it right the operating costs of such an aircraft should enable you to get a lot of hours in quite cheaply - which is exactly what you do need. I wish I'd bought an aircraft sooner, and I wish I'd talked to more people (it turns out the condition of this aircraft was widely known within Turbulent circles). I wouldn't personally go for a microlight, because the simplest way to keep your license valid is to keep flying hours on Group A aircraft.

* I intended to, but initially doubted I'd be able to make an appointment in a time frame that would be fair to the seller. I did manage to get a day off, then heard that the inspection had been done earlier than agreed. As the inspector's report was effusive I went ahead and bit the bullet.