PDA

View Full Version : The whole World seems to be getting older around me!

SpannerInTheWerks
16th Feb 2015, 11:03
Just chatting at work about how the Celebs of my youth seem to be getting old around me - Paul McCarthney 72; Madonna 56 - yet I'm thinking I'm just as young as I always have been.

Strange how the World seems to be getting older around me!

Sir George Cayley
16th Feb 2015, 11:25
Look in the mirror :eek:

SGC

SpannerInTheWerks
16th Feb 2015, 11:46
Yes, that's the reality check!!!

Although when I drive past a shop front in my car I often think 'who's that old g*t' - and then realise it's me!!! :sad:

OFSO
16th Feb 2015, 11:50
Me also: so many are disappearing from this world. I see my colleagues on the pensioners association about three times a year which is obviously frequent enough so I don't notice ageing, but more than that - say, seeing someone after two or three years has passed - and you suddenly start to wonder who the hell is that old guy ? As indeed, are they......

(Met a rather snide Belgian chap, use to be one of my superiors many years ago, and he looked at me and said "where did that belly come from, R ?" Another passing colleague heard this, looked at him and said "and where did your hair go to, G ?" which rather neatly put him in his place.)

G.Green
16th Feb 2015, 12:03
I was once in the hip group.

Then the very hip group.

Now I'm in the not-so-hip group.

Coming up, not too far in the future, will be membership in the broken hip group. :(

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Feb 2015, 12:21
What I find un-nerving, as a retired old git, is when one discovers the date of birth of someone who doesn't look particularly young and it turns out you were half way through your career when they were in nappies!

vulcanised
16th Feb 2015, 12:27
"You look in the mirror in total surprise at the hair on your shoulders and the age in your eyes"

Don Williams ...Amanda

tony draper
16th Feb 2015, 12:27
Well the old mudball itself is 4.6 Billion this year,or perhaps just a tad over Five Thousand depending on who you believe on youtube, I lean more toward the former.
:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
16th Feb 2015, 14:09
Although when I drive past a shop front in my car I often think 'who's that old g*t' - and then realise it's me!!! :sad:

Just think yourself lucky you can still see that far! :8

toffeez
16th Feb 2015, 14:46
"Sprightly"

I think it means "surprisingly the old fart can still just about walk to the pub"

oldchina
16th Feb 2015, 14:51
... When a young female offers me her seat I prefer it's for pinching not for sitting.

RAFish
16th Feb 2015, 14:53
Having no children of my own it's easier to convince myself of my fundamental immutability.
The shocker is attending a family function and seeing my cousins, whose nappies I changed, with their children, whose nappies they changed, toting their children, whose nappies they are changing!!!:{

OFSO
16th Feb 2015, 15:19
Having no children of my own

In the 1960's my mother assisted a friend with the education of her little boy, who needed some private tutering.

The friend is still alive, and she wrote to me today saying that her son, that same "little boy", after a long and successful career will be taking early retirement in March this year.

Oh and the same "little boy" has two children himself now, just about to leave school.

Tempus Fugits.

keyboard flier
16th Feb 2015, 15:28
It's when I see a frumpy middle aged woman and realised that they were in my class at school. :\

Also I felt I was getting on when some of the boys I was in scouts with brought their kids to scouts where I'm a leader, but now I'm getting the kids of kids I was a leader too. :{

MagnusP
16th Feb 2015, 15:40
who needed some private tutering.

Ooops! :)

Loose rivets
16th Feb 2015, 15:48
It's funny how people vary in the speed at which they age. One chap, of the most successful pilots I've ever known, looked exactly the same when I met him after he retired. He said it was one of the advantages of premature aging.

I introduced my wife to him and said, This chap did a flight for me so that I could come and see you when we were courting. Back then it had been 30-odd years before - all passed in the blink of an eye.

I was downright juvenile until I was nearly 60, and then everything conspired against me. Bad back made me grunt as I got out of a chair and plucking out grey hair left me bald. And the face thing. What happens to faces? I have this theory.

My colleague had a bare dome at a young age while I sit under an unruly mop. I think the tightness that may well cause baldness very often keeps faces really young looking but people like me have their faces all but fall off. The worst thing is, it leaves one with everything turning down in lines of disapproval and people all saying, Cheer up. Even smiling only lifts everything to a neutral level, so one couldn't win a charm contest on pain of death.

alisoncc
16th Feb 2015, 16:07
Aging isn't a continuous process. As in tomorrow I will be one day older, a month a month older, a year a year older. I believe you plateau, effectively staying at a certain age until somethink significant happens, when you can then age anywhere between ten to fifteen years almost overnight.

I felt late fifties early sixties for quite a long time, then following a really bad Winter I "jumped" to my early seventies. However hard you try you can never go back.

ExXB
16th Feb 2015, 16:09
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional*

*Apparently said by some famous old-git, whose name escapes me at the moment.

rgbrock1
16th Feb 2015, 16:14
alisoncc wrote:

I felt late fifties early sixties for quite a long time, then following a really bad Winter I "jumped" to my early seventies.

Considering the winter we're having in the Northeast U.S. this year - currently 3F - I feel like 93 years old. :ok:

Sallyann1234
16th Feb 2015, 16:14
* Yes ExXB, age does that to the memory :(

fenland787
16th Feb 2015, 16:22
Went to the Model Engineer Show at Sandown Park a few weeks back, I think the last time I went to anything like that was well over 40 years ago, The crowds (and most of the models) were as I remembered them but now I was one of those old retired guys.....

Tankertrashnav
16th Feb 2015, 16:29
I had a mate who was a contemporary of mine (2 or 3 years younger) but in fact looked at least 10 years younger than his age. Not a spare pound on him and fit as a fiddle (taught fencing) and only recently gave up doing film stunt work. Not only fit but very handsome with a full head of hair. Quite depressing really.

Poor chap dropped dead last week - no warning.

What do they say about creaking doors?

ChrisVJ
16th Feb 2015, 16:42
I was looking at the history of a local flying club yesterday. The language of the newspaper articles and the black and white pictures were so dating. Then it mentioned the date and it was two years AFTER I got my PPL.

Mrs VJ was having one of those spells when you look for the names of old friends on the internet and half of them were dead.

I found half a dozen grey hairs last week when I looked in the mirror. Still, guess I'm lucky to find any hair at all. On the other hand LR. I know what you mean by saggy features. I have looked grumpy since Mrs VJ can remember, apparently.

SpannerInTheWerks
16th Feb 2015, 16:46
I have looked grumpy since Mrs VJ can remember, apparently.

Yes, I received my second pair of 'Mr Grumpy' slippers from my wife last Christmas.

The first pair had lasted a long time! :hmm:

vulcanised
16th Feb 2015, 17:57
The epidermis is constantly being shed and replaced.

This is why I subscribe to 'The Photocopier Theory' regarding ageing.

(each time you make a photocopy of a photocopy it gets more indistinct)

con-pilot
16th Feb 2015, 19:06
For the more senior pilots among us.

It is not that the world is getting older around me, it's getting too dang young.

"Back when I was flying a Jet Commander, I......"

I'm interrupted by some young pup who is flying a G-V.

"Excuse me, what is a Jet Commander?"

At an airshow not all that long ago, an Air Force Major General accidently bumps into me and says "Oh, excuse me Sir."

"You really flew a Piper Tripacer and a real J-3 Cub when you learned how to fly!"

And the real killer, "Wow, you flew 727s? I wish I had been born early enough to be able to fly 727s." From a 737 captain. :{

Oh, and if one more jerk says, "Can I help you young man?" I'm going to deck the SOB. :*

Xenophon
16th Feb 2015, 20:58
Well I am 70 this year but I feel like an 18 year old. Very doubtful that I'll get one though.
Can someone help me on with my coat.....

Fareastdriver
16th Feb 2015, 21:24
Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

alisoncc
16th Feb 2015, 22:29
Being old has little to do with number of years. A person is old when said person uses their age as an excuse for not doing something.

ShyTorque
16th Feb 2015, 22:35
A person is old when said person uses their age as an excuse for not doing something.

I can't go in the pub because they reckon I'm not 18 yet.....

con-pilot
16th Feb 2015, 22:36
A person is old when said person uses their age as an excuse for not doing something.

I look at it more this way. Old age is a reason for not doing something.

As in.

Been there, did that and no way in hell am I going to do that again. :p

tony draper
16th Feb 2015, 22:42
Hey! I've spent all day not doing something,don't knock it until you've tried it.
Them Buddhist monks spend many decades just learning how to sit doing buggah all,daft buggas if they just hang on a bit they would find the ability comes naturally to one in one's later years.
:rolleyes:

cockney steve
16th Feb 2015, 23:00
Mate's Gran was moving into a new flat, I was shanghaied into tiling kitchen, fitting floorcovering, installing appliances...... outside, rooting around in back of car for tools or something, notice an old dear with a walking-stick hobbling towards me
As I prepared to slam the tailgate, I looked up and called " awright, love?".....the Ice-cold rapier stare as she drew alongside and I realised it was my "ex" :eek:... she really did look ancient and gave me one of those "blimey, I used to bonk that" moments :O
By the same token, my late partner, immediately post-coital, looked about 30 years younger....It was quite uncanny,as I'd seen photos of her in her twenties and thirties.

ShyTorque
16th Feb 2015, 23:03
So, in your case it's true, as the saying goes: "You're only as old as the woman you feel".

ricardian
16th Feb 2015, 23:06
Since my 70th birthday (2013) my hormones seem to have undergone a change, the hair on my scalp has almost ceased to grow but now I have luxuriant hair growth in my ears & nostrils

JWP1938
16th Feb 2015, 23:20
As they say - this getting old is not a job for kids.

onetrack
17th Feb 2015, 01:07
You can continue to believe you haven't aged a bit - until you get into some serious physical work.
Squatting for long periods, reaching and twisting, heavy lifting and bending over for extended periods will soon let you know exactly how old you really are. :(

Then there's the difference in response when you ogle a gorgeous piece of fluff walking past. 20 yrs earlier, she'd toss her head and play with her hair and smile.
Now she just glares at you, and you can see the obvious expression ... "what are YOU looking at, you dirty old perv?? ... " :{

finfly1
17th Feb 2015, 01:32
Very timely thread as one enters one's fourth quarter century today.

I do remember my 50th HS reunion and how appalled I was at how old my school chums had become - at least some of them. Excess weight seemed to be the dividing factor between those who looked 'good' and those who did not.

As I flew down to Dixie this last time, last week, I stood and looked out the terminal window at the airport where I used to fly regularly, owned my first plane and where there would routinely be a dozen or so small planes in or near the pattern much of the time. It was before TRSA, or ARSA or Class Anything.

I realized that a young person standing beside me could only look out there and see what IS out the window, whereas I could not only see what IS, but "see" what WAS as well, {sort of like Dean Jagger in the beginning of "12 O'clock High" as he bicycled to the closed aerodrome}.

Hence, I can compare what IS with what WAS and therefore make some value judgment as to whether it has improved or not, which a youngster simply is incapable of doing.

Loose rivets
17th Feb 2015, 02:05
Ah, yes, dear boy. A belated happy birthday and welcome to the Olde Buggah's Club. And yes, it does hurt. :ooh:

Stanwell
17th Feb 2015, 02:36
Just as a consolation, chaps...

I'd heard it said that "Age and cunning beats youth and vigour every time".

JWP1938
17th Feb 2015, 07:30
Tell that to the gorgeous bit of fluff that onetrack was just talking about. :*

Stanwell
17th Feb 2015, 07:45
Well... perhaps not EVERY time... :hmm:

timgill
17th Feb 2015, 09:37
I'm told I look a lot younger than I am. Actually, it's true. And I put it down to (a) fatherhood and (b) mixing with younger people. I play in a band with 4 other people aged 46, 37, 35 and 33. I think it's that which keeps me feeling, and looking, young.

I always did look young. It had its disadvantages: when I was 15 and starting to date girls I looked about 12 and so didn't stand a chance.

Having re-read all that it sounds really immodest and corny. but I'm not changing it. It's just personal experience.

On the other side of the coin, some of my friends/contemporaries are involved with much older people - usually their aging parents or people in homes - and tend to look quite a bit older than they really are.

Ancient Mariner
17th Feb 2015, 09:59
Just realised I'm getting on a bit last weekend. Out fishing with my SiL, stayed the night over in their beach cottage, manly food and too much beer and single malts and he challenged me to arm wrestling. :hmm:
The SOB won with the right arm, but I had my revenge with my left.
The guy is a bit sore since my downhill flat out speed record beats his, we always carry smart phone apps to register speed.
Have now bought membership to his gym, much iron scrap waiting to be lifted.
One must keep up. :E
Age, it's all in the mind and mine has been covered in gray, now white hair since I was in my thirties.
Per

SpannerInTheWerks
17th Feb 2015, 13:04
now white hair

No such thing.

As I keep telling my wife it's 'snowy blonde', not white!!! :)

Ancient Mariner
17th Feb 2015, 13:29
SITW, I'm afraid my English vocabulary is not that advanced. On the other hand my wife's hair is turning a fascinating colour combination of steel gray forelock and copper brown. Rather sexy, methinks.
Per

victor tango
18th Feb 2015, 18:36
Is it me or since we've arrived in the 21 century, whenever I cast my mind back to an occasion, lets say in 1975, I do a mental calculation and say gosh that's 35 years ago. (Check that with calculator and it's 45 Kryst!!) I always forget 2000-2010 dunno why.

Also we used to call decades the 50's or the 80's and everyone immediately understood and felt comfortable with.
But 2000-2009 as the noughties sounds at best, crap:ugh:
Now we are in the 10's are we ??
Next decade becomes more understandable.

Sorry folks I'll go and polish my abacus.

cumulusrider
18th Feb 2015, 20:23
Chatting to a chap at the gliding club at the weekend who had just gone solo.
He then mentioned he was born in 2000! Bl***y H***. He was born the year i was made redundant.

finfly1
18th Feb 2015, 20:28
Sat next to a kid going into the air force who informed me (and basically ruined my day) that her GREAT grandfather fought in Vietnam (the time period when I was in military service).

Her grampa was in Iraq.

54Phan
18th Feb 2015, 20:35
Personally, I referred to the years from 2000-2009 as "The Oh-Ohs"!

I turned 60 just after Christmas, had a party at a bar, booked 4 rock bands playing, the place was packed. I had a great time!1 (I think :0!)

funfly
18th Feb 2015, 20:48
It's when the bits below your belt stop clambering for your attention and start clambering for your attention :rolleyes:

Hydromet
18th Feb 2015, 20:53
Talking to a young bloke a couple of weeks ago, he informed me that he was going into the army on the 17th (2 days ago). Realised that was 49 years +1 day after I went in!

ChrisVJ
19th Feb 2015, 05:11
'Being old is one thing and 'knowing' you are old is another.

When I was in my twenties I looked at dishy ladies and wondered if I had a chance there.
When I was in my thirties thought "She's sexy, maybe I could ask her out."
When I was in my forties I thought "Maybe she'd like an older guy.
When I was in my fifties I reckoned I was still in with a chance and anyway flirting was fun.
When I was in my sixties I was happy if they smiled back.

Sometime last week I suddenly realised I was just another flirting old no hoper and none of the lovely ladies would have the slightest interest in prolonging the conversation..

I think I'll go and kill myself.

innuendo
19th Feb 2015, 05:15
Visit the aviation museum and find the types you flew on squadron in there. :sad:

Ascend Charlie
19th Feb 2015, 07:04
Every aircraft type I flew in the air force has been put on a stick outside some RSL or in a museum. In the war museum in Canberra, is a Lancaster that my father flew in WW2, next to A2-1019, a B-model Huey that my brother flew in Vietnam and I flew as a SAR bird.

Stanwell
19th Feb 2015, 08:23
Ooo.. I don't want to be stuffed and mounted!.

ShyTorque
19th Feb 2015, 10:05
The military aircraft I flew most entered service in 1971 and is re-entering the fray as a Mk2!

Forty years in continuous service a Mk1 might be an RAF record.

Fareastdriver
19th Feb 2015, 10:28
re-entering the fray as a Mk2

and the Mk2s are all reworked Mk1s.

Exascot
19th Feb 2015, 11:05
Just read into this thread I thought that it may depress me at first.

Old as the person you feel. Yep Mrs Exascot is 10 years younger than me and could get away with 20 years younger. I haven't seen the ex-wife for 20 odd years. I have been informed that she looks like a very fat old lady :O

I forget my age and get reminded by either my back or my wife when I try to throw things around.

Here to be called 'grandfather' by a younger person is a compliment but I do find it depressing :{

I told the general manager of an air charter company here the year I started in the Royal Air Force. He wasn't born then :(

Loose rivets
19th Feb 2015, 11:15
Less than 700-thousand hours floating about on a speck of dust and then that's it. Without 'continuance' I see no point in the whole exercise. But then, that's just me.

rgbrock1
19th Feb 2015, 12:48
ChrisVJ wrote:

Sometime last week I suddenly realised I was just another flirting old no hoper and none of the lovely ladies would have the slightest interest in prolonging the conversation..

I think I'll go and kill myself.

Now, now, no need for that. Look at the bright side of it: now no one will think anything if they spot you in the local park feeding the pigeons. Better than nothing, no? :}:E

beaufort1
19th Feb 2015, 12:55
I don't think those are the sort of birds he is lamenting about. :hmm:

JWP1938
19th Feb 2015, 13:06
As a volunteer in British Red Cross I volunteered for a particular role. The manager who interviewed me queried (nothing to do with age) whether I would be capable of doing it. I pointed out that I had been doing exactly that job since before she was born (she was in early 40s). She was a bit put out I could see by her body language - but I got the job.

ShyTorque
19th Feb 2015, 13:17
and the Mk2s are all reworked Mk1s.

Yes, hence my use of the term "re-entering". :ok:

But according to some dyed in the wool Wessex pilots, "those aircraft'll never last, they're made of plastic!"

John Hill
19th Feb 2015, 18:59
I turned 60 so took myself off down to the city council office building, no need to use the lift and instead skipped up the stairs (two at a time) coming out at the third floor. I was feeling pretty good and not at all short of breath as I approached the desk and said "I have come for my bus pass". Barely pausing her nail filing the young strumpet asked "Is that initial or renewal?"

Bus pass validity in our city is 10 years.:*

Democritus
19th Feb 2015, 23:25
Mrs D is 15 years younger than me and has this habit of saying things like, "Well he was really quite old, he must have been in his 70's" and then she realises what she's said as this old bugger of her husband is 71.....(but going on 25 in my own mind).

Went to my first ex-wife's funeral last month - was still a friend although we divorced almost 40 years ago, but sobering to think she went at 68.

70 is the new 50 so they say.

victor tango
21st Feb 2015, 08:05
apologies if its been posted before........but its good!

25 Signs of Aging: -

1. Your houseplants are alive, and you can't smoke any of them.

2. Having sex in a twin bed is out of the question.

3. You keep more food than beer in the fridge.

4. 6:00 AM is when you get up, not when you go to bed.

5. You hear your favourite song on an elevator.

6. You watch the Weather Channel.

7. Your friends marry and divorce instead of hook up and break up.

8. You go from 130 days of vacation time to 14.

9. Jeans and a sweater no longer qualify as "dressed up."

10. You're the one calling the police because those damn kids next door
won't turn down the stereo.

11. Older relatives feel comfortable telling sex jokes around you.

12. You don't know what time Taco Bell closes anymore.

13. Your car insurance goes down and your payments go up.

14. You feed your dog Science Diet instead of McDonalds leftovers.

15. Sleeping on the couch makes your back hurt.

16. You no longer take naps from noon to 6 PM.

17. Dinner and a movie is the whole date instead of the beginning of one.

18. Eating a basket of chicken wings at 3 AM would severely upset, rather
than settle, your stomach.

19. You go to the drug store for ibuprofen and antacid, not condoms and
pregnancy tests.

20. A $4.00 bottle of wine is no longer "pretty good stuff."

21. You actually eat breakfast food at breakfast time.

22. "I just can't drink the way I used to," replaces, "I'm never going to
drink that much again."

23. 90% of the time you spend in front of a computer is for real work.

24. You no longer drink at home to save money before going to a bar.

25. You read this entire list looking desperately for one sign
that doesn't apply to you.