PDA

View Full Version : Flying - on a pair of planks

Ancient Mariner
16th Feb 2015, 08:01
This Sunday in Vikersund, Norway. Anders Fannemel, New World Record, 251.5 meters, 825 ft 137⁄64 in. Balls of Duplex Steel.
Per

watch?v=cpNkZGXPgJo

Vercingetorix
16th Feb 2015, 08:12
Absolutely Balls of Steel.
I have done Steep and Deep, couloirs, etc and stood at the top of an Olympic Ski Jump and no way in Hell would I ever attempt one.
Spectacular jump.

sitigeltfel
16th Feb 2015, 08:22
He came very close to out-jumping the hill. Landing on the round-out, or the uphill, would have hurt. I hope the organisers hadn't allowed the start bar to be moved up the hill in order to create a spectacular.

Ancient Mariner
16th Feb 2015, 08:23
Imagine then that at a Olympic Ski Jump you'll be doing 100 meters less than this. I am still an avid on/off piste skier myself, and in my younger years a keen ski jumper, but standing at the top of Holmenkollen nearly permanently destroyed my ability to multiply. :eek:
Nuts took a week to reappear.
Per

Ancient Mariner
16th Feb 2015, 08:31
Sitigeltfel:He came very close to out-jumping the hill. Landing on the round-out, or the uphill, would have hurt. I hope the organisers hadn't allowed the start bar to be moved up the hill in order to create a spectacular.

On the contrary, there were lots of complaints that the bar was too low, most of the jumpers came down around the 150 meter mark or even less, only a handful managed more than 200 meters and only two were outstanding. Anders Fannemel and the overall winner Peter Prevc from Slovenia?
Russian Dmitrij Vasiljev managed 254 meters, but with a fall, no World record.
Per

ATNotts
16th Feb 2015, 09:26
Ancient Mariner

On the contrary, there were lots of complaints that the bar was too low, most of the jumpers came down around the 150 meter mark or even less, only a handful managed more than 200 meters and only two were outstanding. Anders Fannemel and the overall winner Peter Prevc from Slovenia?
Russian Dmitrij Vasiljev managed 254 meters, but with a fall, no World record.

The problem is that Ski Flying is different to jumping, the timing off the table is more critical, and to reach the longer distance skill and even more bravery is required to get the extension at the end of the jump. Many jumpers, and most of those that took part in Vikersund this weekend weren't really capable of Ski Flying. The gate had to be kept low, which made the majority look a little foolish, to keep those that that could fly (Prevc, Freund, Kasai, Fannemel etc) safe. With the world's former biggest hill, Planica (Slovenia) having been remodeled to regain it's former status, it will be interesting to see if the record goes again in the season finale at the end of March.

Perhaps if some of the missing competitors, such as Kraft, Hayboeck, Koudelka, Freitag etc had been there fewer of the less capable athletes would have made it through to the competition. The aforementioned were of away training for the upcoming Nordic World Championships in Falun, starting this week.

Ancient Mariner
16th Feb 2015, 09:48
Good analysis ATNotts, you apparently know more about ski jumping/flying than most.
per

ATNotts
16th Feb 2015, 10:57
Ancient Mariner

Thanks. I have been following the tour since the days of Jens Weisflog and it is an ambition to do the entire 4 Hills Tournament at least once (as a spectator of course!).

It's a crying shame that since the "Eddie the Eagle" olympics the UK media has treated the sport as somewhat eccentric. I recall as a child that the 4 Hills was actually covered by the BBC when Ron Pickering was alive and working for them. He was, as I recall, as a great an enthusiast for the sport as David Goldstrom (Eurosport) now is.

It might be a great idea for UK reality TV to try and talent spot a UK youngster or two to take ski jumping up properly, say under the wing of the Norwegian or German system to see if, with the right training and direction, we could make a half decent (as opposed to Edwards) jumper that could at least cut the mustard in the Continental Cup. That however would also need sponsorship, which for whatever reason, UK wintersports bodies seem to find very difficult to do, despite the extensive TV coverage available via Eurosport these days.

Ancient Mariner
16th Feb 2015, 11:27
I bet the Norwegian, or German, Austrian, Slovenian Ski Jumping community would welcome any British budding ski jumper to train with them. It would be good for the sport to have more nationalities participating.
Canada and Norway co-operate in downhill skiing, and a certain Andrew Musgrave from Poole lives, trains and participates in the Norwegian X-Country Ski Championship. Actually he came second in 2012 and won the sprint in 2014. No medal I'm afraid, just the glory, must be Norwegian citizen for medals.
He's a member of the Huntly Nordic Ski Club. :cool:
Per

Windy Militant
16th Feb 2015, 23:30
When I saw the title I thought this was going to be a thread about the Evans VP 1! :O
Still he probably flew further than most veeps! ;)