PDA

View Full Version : How's this for stupid? 'Three' dongle.

Capetonian
15th Feb 2015, 09:22
I have a prepaid 'Three' mobile broadband dongle which I keep for times when I'm in the UK and out of reach of my own or other wifi. I can top it up with 1GB, which is more than enough, and that is valid for a month. In the past if it goes out of validity, I topped up online with another £10/1GB. Perfect.

A couple of months ago I tried to do this and it kept returning a blank page and timing out. I rang them and they said 'temporary technical problem' and they did the top up for me over the phone.

Same thing a few weeks ago. Same 'temporary problem'. I didn't have the time to follow up or complain.

Same thing this morning, and after speaking to Mohamed, and Veejay, and Deepak and asking how many more months this 'temporary problem' will last for ....... they tell me that it's not actually a technical problem, but that if your account value is nil you can't top up on line. This is as a result of a 'system upgrade'.

We have a system upgrade which has removed a function which worked perfectly for something that doesn't work at all.

........ and a lost customer. In fact, three lost customers as we're all on the same setup.

Capetonian
15th Feb 2015, 11:44
In fairness to them I now have to add the following update :

They rang me back within 2 hours as promised, to let me know that it would take up to 48 hours to give me a full update and possible resolution. In the meantime, they have given me, without my having requested it, a 1GB allowance for the inconvenience.

Excellent customer service.

dazdaz1
15th Feb 2015, 14:50
Don't mention a (I did) 'dongle' mixture will start to breath out fire:eek::eek:

vulcanised
15th Feb 2015, 16:31
For a spectacular response, mention Dongle in conjunction with XP.

eticket
16th Feb 2015, 18:29
Three wouldn't honour a payg voucher as they claimed that I was too late in applying it, as there had been a 31 day month in the interim and so I had gone over the 90 day limit - by one day. They wouldn't refund the value of the voucher or apply it. They kept the money and they lost a customer.

Why can't vouchers last for one year? Most other goods have a one year warranty.

dazdaz1
17th Feb 2015, 14:11
Totally agree eticket. Put a £5 top up on my old (calls and txt) mobile phone, no use by date limit. £10 on my mobile don*le (playing safe) and I get a month to use it or loose the remaining credit. Might be a good idea if OFCOM looked into this practise used by all the main isp.

mixture
23rd Feb 2015, 17:18
Don't mention a (I did) 'dongle' mixture will start to breath out fire
For a spectacular response, mention Dongle in conjunction with XP.

So I take a 10 day holiday somewhere nice and warm and you take the opportunity to stab away at my back... thanks guys... :=

Dongles are bad for very good reason.
Same goes for XP.

No debate to be had on either point. That's the facts.

lomapaseo
23rd Feb 2015, 18:04
Mixture

So I take a 10 day holiday somewhere nice and warm and you take the opportunity to stab away at my back... thanks guys...

That wasn't a stab in the back but just professional recognition that your vote has already been cast in absentia :)

glad to see you're back from holiday (no wifi??)

mixture
23rd Feb 2015, 18:17
no wifi??

I'm weary of untrusted public wifi at the best of times. Even more so in hotels. And even more when I'm being asked to enter login details with no SSL (PPRuNe forum login is unencrypted).

But yes, where I was had no Wifi, and only a vague mobile signal if you wondered up the nearest hill.... had a sat phone with me for emergencies, but it wasn't data capable anyway. :E

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Feb 2015, 19:09
I'm weary of untrusted public wifi at the best of times. Even more so in hotels. And even more when I'm being asked to enter login details with no SSL (PPRuNe forum login is unencrypted).

It's somewhat sobering that those with more knowledge of the workings of the internet than most, are the most wary of it's vulnerabilities. A handful of such people I know could be deemed mildly paranoid and one who does high end security almost refuses to put anything personal across the ether. Ignorance is bliss!

SHJ

dazdaz1
24th Feb 2015, 16:36
mixture........"But yes, where I was had no Wifi, and only a vague mobile signal if you wondered up the nearest hill.... had a sat phone with me for emergencies, but it wasn't data capable anyway. :E"

Been years since my last visit to Benidorm. In those days I sported white socks with sandals. Having said that, good to see you back. :ok:

mixture
24th Feb 2015, 16:45
Benidorm

Never been. Never want to go. :yuk: