PDA

View Full Version : Putting Gmail account into Outlook

14th Feb 2015, 00:34
I've just been forced to replace my PC (running Win 7) after a hardware failure with a new one with a Win 8.1 operating system.

The changeover has been relatively seamless - with two exceptions. I use Office 2007 and the Outlook email program that comes with that. My primary email address is a Gmail account, and with the Win 7 setup, I had this set up on Outlook with no problems. My ISP provides me with a Bigpond account, (which I don't use), and it installed OK on Outlook on the Win 8.1 machine and works fine.

However, when I tried to put the Gmail (and an iCloud) account in to Outlook, (and I've tried many times, using all the different manual configurations that online sites offer, with POP and IMPAP), everything comes to a halt when I test the settings.

The same result occurs if I use the IMAP or POP option - when I click on the icon to test settings, a box with my email address and password and a check box to remember the password pops up and, if I re-write the password and then check the 'remember password' box, it disappears and then returns. After the box returns five times, it eventually shows a 'failure to connect with the outgoing server' message. (The top of the box that appears shows pop.gmail.com or imap.gmail.com , whichever option I've gone for.)

I read somewhere on line that if you have the two step recovery option (where Gmail sends an SMS with a code when you first log in to your account) that may be the cause of this problem. I disabled that option but this did not fix the problem.

The same problem occurred when I tried setting up an iCloud account.

I'll hold off on the second problem until I've (hopefully) received a fix to this problem from the wonderful experts of Ppruneland.

Anyone have any suggestions on a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Bushfiva
14th Feb 2015, 01:54
Have you got the incoming and outgoing ports set correctly, e.g. POP is 465 and 995, SSL enabled?

14th Feb 2015, 03:12
I tried every combination mentioned in the many instructions available on line. 995/587, 993/25, 143/465, 585/2525. I've also tried auto, SSL and TLS. (Different sites offer different port combinations.) I've also tried mixing those port combinations, but to no avail.

My Win 7 set up was POP, which worked fine. I forget why I decided on that rather than IMAP (which virtually all sites online suggest is better than POP). I do recall that IMAP did present a problem that POP did not. On the new system, I've tried both POP and IMAP.

messybeast
14th Feb 2015, 03:27

I'm using GMail successfully via IMAP in Outlook 2013 under Windows 8.1. My settings are:

Server Information

Account Type IMAP
"Incoming Mail Server" imap.gmail.com
"Outgoing Mail Server" smtp.gmail.com

Then under "More Settings":
Outgoing Server Tab
"My Outgoin Server (SMTP) requires authentication" is ticked
"Use same setting as my incoming server" is selected.

Advanced Tab

"Incoming Server (IMAP)" is set to Port 993
"Use the following type of encrypted connection" is set to SSL

"Outgoing Server (SMTP" is set to Port 587
"Use the following type of encrypted connection" is set to TLS

I have no problems with these settings. Hope it helps.

Messy

messybeast
14th Feb 2015, 04:17
Is it showing your full GMail address under Username?

All that I have is the part before the @gmail.com.

14th Feb 2015, 04:22
Thanks messybeast. I tried that again (although I'd tried it before) and still got the pop up box "Enter your user name and password for the following server: imap.gmail.com . The user name that appears is my email (gmail) address, and, as before, five attempts before a failure registers.

I thought I'd be clever and try using Windows Live Mail, but when it asks me to download folders, (part of the set up process), the same box appears.

One site suggested disabling IMAP while installing the account onto Outlook. Didn't help. Box still appeared and will not recognise the password.

14th Feb 2015, 04:26
I may have found an answer here.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en&ctx=ch_DisplayUnlockCaptcha

the password provided from that page has got me past the password request (for both IMAP and SMTP) and allowed me to receive (and possibly send - a test msg has disappeared from out box), but it's now synchronising subscribed folders (while still sending) and has been at it for quite some time and says it will be another 24 minutes doing it.

14th Feb 2015, 05:12
Problem seems to have been resolved.

messybeast
14th Feb 2015, 05:20
Glad to hear it.

Had a look at your link and I didn' t have to do any of that. Maybe they have changed something since then.