PDA

View Full Version : How legal is it to fly someone to Mars

Loose rivets
13th Feb 2015, 22:48
Surely, if you convey someone to an almost certain grave, isn't that illegal? Explorers have always had to be brave, but mostly they could theoretically be rescued. Not so with Mars.

Oh, and if she's going, can I go as well? All that and a PhD in Astrophysics. Sigh.

This woman is in the running for a one-way trip to Mars - BBC Newsbeat (http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/31425105)

Don_Apron
13th Feb 2015, 22:55
Interesting to say the least. Big ask of anyone.

You could also be a candidate to be a permanent memorial to the space program. Mars program. Must be some street cred in that. :}

G-CPTN
13th Feb 2015, 23:07
Signing a disclaimer would avoid possible charges - although assisted suicide is illegal in most jurisdictions.

dash6
13th Feb 2015, 23:11
Without prior approval from the Martian Goverment,and space administration?You could end up in jail. Be warned.

con-pilot
13th Feb 2015, 23:45
Why sure it is, in fact I'm selling tickets, only a measly 20 million dollars a ticket, discounted to 15 million dollars for groups of ten or more.

I also guarantee a round trip. Non-refundable of course, as that is an industry standard.

Please feel free to contact me at:

www,youarestuipdandIamrich. com

Pinky the pilot
14th Feb 2015, 00:13
stuipd

Spelling con-pilot. Spelling!!:=:D:D

Katamarino
14th Feb 2015, 00:42
Given that this is a reality TV show, I sincerely doubt that actually getting to Mars is a credible risk.

con-pilot
14th Feb 2015, 01:23
Well, stuipd is as stupid does.

Oh wait. :uhoh:

Smoetimes I have turoble with putting ltteers in the right plasecs. I need to so something aobut that. :p

Loose rivets
14th Feb 2015, 01:31
Strange thing is I can read it perfectly well.

alisoncc
14th Feb 2015, 03:00
Smoetimes I have turoble with putting ltteers in the right plasecs. I need to so something aobut that

Reminds me of the dyslexic devil worshipper. Used to sacrifice chickens to Santa.

ORAC
14th Feb 2015, 05:08
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

probes
14th Feb 2015, 05:52
yeah, sad as it is - probably 'reality TV' is the real clue and destination.

onetrack
14th Feb 2015, 06:13
Doesn't every entrant to a reality TV programme have to sign an indemnity release, as below?
Can't have any of those entrants getting a share of TV station profits, can we now?

15. RELEASE AND INDEMNITY
To the extent permitted by law, all entrants release from, and indemnify the Promoter against all liability, cost, loss or expense arising out of acceptance of any prize(s) or participation in the Promotion including (but not limited to) loss of income, loss of opportunity, death, personal injury and damage to property, whether direct or consequential, foreseeable, due to some negligent act or omission or otherwise.

Pinky the pilot
14th Feb 2015, 06:17
Smoetimes I have turoble with putting ltteers in the right plasecs. I need to so something aobut that

con-pilot; I just happen to know a cure for that; told to me by a local Doctor.

Use only as directed!

Take one bottle of Single Malt.

Pour a double shot into glass and drink.

Repeat if necessary.

Caution; Too many repeats may exacerbate initial affliction.

Let us know how it works if you please.:ok:

Windy Militant
14th Feb 2015, 11:40
Is this going to be a cross between the cheap reality show made by Channel 4 at an airbase somewhere in England a few years ago and the highly expensive flop Ascension made by Sy Fy recently.

You know they all climb into a rocket and in two years time they climb out to be greeted by some D list presenter shouting surprise! ;)

racedo
14th Feb 2015, 12:29
Moon East is just a short hop from your required destination and good news is that on new Ryanair 737-8000 (thats 8000 miles PH) additional leg room comes as standard.

airship
14th Feb 2015, 12:56
I'm not sure about all the legalities. As it's a going to be a long flight, listening to some Frank Sinatra might help while away the hours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhujM7T1_fQ

PS. But I'm pretty sure the RIAA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA) and/or MPAA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpaa) will at some stage want their slice of the pie... :rolleyes:

Molemot
14th Feb 2015, 14:09
That song was actually called "In Other Words", when written in 1954....it was renamed in the early 60's, iirc, and once the space race got going it....er.....took off!

dazdaz1
14th Feb 2015, 16:09
I'm most intrigued as to the biological aspects/needs of a female to Mars (if selected) how many tampons would be required over the course of the many years on Mars?

ShyTorque
14th Feb 2015, 17:14
My sister wanted me to fly her to Mars. I couldn't do it because her Mar's back garden wasn't big enough to land the helicopter.

RJM
14th Feb 2015, 17:56
I'd say that once you were out of Earth's navigable airspace you were out of the jurisdiction of any of its courts. Then you'd have to ask where and when the crime was committed. Was the crime signing you up on Earth, or was it delivering you to Martian soil?

As for signing away your common law rights in negligence, sometimes it's not as easy as signing a waiver. The duty of care tends to remain regardless.

Tarq57
14th Feb 2015, 18:12
I'm most intrigued as to the biological aspects/needs of a female to Mars (if selected) how many tampons would be required over the course of the many years on Mars?None, of course.
What do you imagine the main reason to be that female/s are on the mission?

(OK, I'll let myself out.)

racedo
14th Feb 2015, 18:16
What do you imagine the main reason to be that female/s are on the mission?

Cooking, Cleaning

RJM
14th Feb 2015, 19:07
PC?

P6 Driver
15th Feb 2015, 11:26
Couldn't we ask for volunteers from the convicted criminal fraternity instead?

Maybe not to Mars, but pack a spacecraft full of them and do a trial run towards the Sun perhaps to start with.

racedo
15th Feb 2015, 12:08
PC?

You mean clean the PC as well.................... ok if you want.

dazdaz1
15th Feb 2015, 15:44
racedo....."Cooking, Cleaning" your so non pc but I love it :D:D:D:D:D

That reminds me, why are wedding dresses white? To match the washing machine, tumble dryer and cooker. No wonder my g/f left me:ok:

sitigeltfel
15th Feb 2015, 16:08
Imagine this scenario:

A couple of volunteers are selected to go on a one way trip to Mars.
They undergo rigorous psychological assesment and training before being sent on their way, never to return.
Their task is to carry out experiments in the knowledge that they are sacrificing themselves in the aid of science.
Halfway through the journey one of them has a change of heart, and when he/she realises that there is no escape, slowly goes bonkers and becomes a grave danger to the other crewman.

Given that such a mission would be followed closely by the Earths population, what instructions/advice would you, if you were the Mission Controller, give to the sane crewman?

John Marsh
15th Feb 2015, 16:22
Perfectly legal and straightforward, Shirley. There must be an airfield somewhere near Slough.

:)

dazdaz1
15th Feb 2015, 17:22
I've been thinking as to a reply to the above posts. Would it be possible for an all male crew? The reason being, sex raises it's head, and in the constraints we are discussing long term normal social/sexual attitudes, more men than women on the initial flight to Mars may lead to (months in flight) to sexual attractions of the female crew/member.

Having said that, one might consider an all gay crew, I fear the same sexual attractions may be so. The long term considerations for a Mars project must consider human sexuality.

G-CPTN
15th Feb 2015, 18:56
Isn't one of the purposes of the mission to procreate and populate Mars?

Whilst it might seem strange that people should consider what is almost certainly a one-way trip, wasn't that also the case when the Pilgrims set out for America?

Windy Militant
15th Feb 2015, 19:33
Ane Fule no there's been a base on Mars since 1963! It must be true I've seen the documentary on the internet just Goggle Alternative 3.
If you do go to mars give my regards to Adolf, Elvis and Lady Di. ;)

G-CPTN
15th Feb 2015, 19:41
Just reflecting on the idea of 'populating' Mars (and there have been many proposals for round-trips, see:- Trips to Mars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_manned_Mars_mission_plans_in_the_20th_century#List)) .

How would an expanding population manage?

Just think of the multitude of 'essentials' required.

Would Amazon deliver?

If not, then all these requirements would have to be locally manufactured.

There would need to be all the resources for raw materials and all the skills to weave and fabricate clothing (after all, the climate is pretty inclement).

Tools would be needed (to replace those worn out).

A fascinating proposal.

More information by Googooing 'Human+Mars' and 'Colonisation+Mars'.

tony draper
15th Feb 2015, 20:35
Why dont they just fly these loons into the middle of the Sahara leave them some kit and say 'There you are, convert this place into a world fit for human habitation',the air there might be hot but at least it's breathable.
:)

G-CPTN
15th Feb 2015, 21:33
A more appropriate location would be Antarctica.

onetrack
16th Feb 2015, 04:07
They could always initially drop them into some remote location in the middle of Australia that resembles Mars in almost every way - and see how they cope!
After viewing numerous pictures of the Mars landscape, I reckon the scenery could easily be mistaken for numerous places on Earth.
However, I will grant, the air quality, and the temperatures, and sunrise and sunset times, could be a giveaway. :)

Arm out the window
16th Feb 2015, 05:32
Couldn't we ask for volunteers from the convicted criminal fraternity instead?
Maybe not to Mars, but pack a spacecraft full of them and do a trial run towards the Sun perhaps to start with.

They could always initially drop them into some remote location in the middle of Australia that resembles Mars in almost every way - and see how they cope!

Aha, the British mind at work - 1788 was the last time you tried that trick, now look what's happened!

Found out recently one of my forebears was transported on the First Fleet, thanks very much M'luds and Ladies, it's great to be an Aussie, and it couldn't have happened without your gracious help.:ok:

Captain Sand Dune
16th Feb 2015, 06:32
Hmmm.....there's a few illegal immigrants on Manus Island......:E

Back Pressure
16th Feb 2015, 08:39
Vaguely reminds me of a stunt pulled by a UK TV channel (ITV4 ???) back in the late 70's/early 80's which purported to have some earth-shattering expose (expozay) about something on the moon ???

Was played up mercilessly for weeks and weeks, and when finally broadcast, was claimed to be about some alien (?) base on the far side. Bravely revealed as a hoax (der!) at the end of the 2-something hour broadcast.

Felt like kicking to death the feckers who wasted hours of my life :mad:

Anyone with me ?

onetrack
16th Feb 2015, 09:26
Back Pressure - I know the feeling. I got sucked into believing in the "Jupiter Effect" in the late 1970's/early 1980's after reading the book by Gribbin and Plagemann.
After all, these guys were highly respected astro-physicists/astronomers, and they knew absolutely vast amounts more about physics and the universe than I did, didn't they??
I went around warning everyone, and ended up with egg on my face when nothing happened.
So much for the "boffins" calculations and exceptional knowledge - it could be the principal reason I'm now largely a climate-change skeptic. They really don't have a clue.

tony draper
16th Feb 2015, 09:35
Mars is a corpse of a world and it always will be, we talking monkeys are ok at fecking planets up, fixing them is well beyond our abilities.
:rolleyes:

BusyB
16th Feb 2015, 12:11
A very good read is "The Martian" by Andy Weir:ok:

MagnusP
16th Feb 2015, 13:10
I thought we sent women to Venus and men to Mars. That does not augur well for the future expansion of the species.

Interested Passenger
16th Feb 2015, 13:43
you could say that just being born on earth is a one way trip, ending in certain death.

FakePilot
16th Feb 2015, 15:10
BusyB: Talk about counting calories! :)

dazdaz1
16th Feb 2015, 15:26
The young lady (one of the 600) on 5live today, it was mentioned that the selected ones have to undertake a course in dentistry, I would presume this would be coupled with medical training as to a doctor/surgeon level. Hence the 10 year period of training for the mission.

I would presume if any developed cancer/serious heart conditions/organ failures after a number of years on Mars, cyanide may be included in the medical kit. This then raises the issue of assisted suicide, as they are on Mars would they be exempt from legal constraints to administer life ending drugs if the need arose?

Checkboard
16th Feb 2015, 17:14
My sister was selected as the station doctor for the Australian National Antarctic Research Expedition (ANARE) at Macquarie Island (and later Mawson base). She was a doctor already ;) - but she had to do a two week course in dentistry as well.

Once on station a guy broke his tooth, and put up with the pain for two weeks before he would let her touch it ;)

tony draper
16th Feb 2015, 19:11
Personally I think it is just bean breeze,somewhere in the background some spiv is making money out of peoples gullibility.
:uhoh:

G.Green
17th Feb 2015, 03:39
we talking monkeys are ok at fecking planets up

I agree Tony Draper. I would've hoped that Space would be something the talking monkeys wouldn't **** up but I seriously doubt it. Our species will certainly try to terrestrialize Mars irrespective of any native life found there whatever the intellect scale, just as the Martians tried to do in HG Welles' classic novel.

I'm afraid humans can't help themselves.

Worrals in the wilds
17th Feb 2015, 08:47
They could always initially drop them into some remote location in the middle of Australia that resembles Mars in almost every way - and see how they cope!So you've also been to White Cliffs NSW...:eek::}
http://www.whitecliffsnsw.com/Images/MapWhiteCliffs.jpg
Actually there's probably more to do on Mars. :zzz:
What Tony said :ok:. Reality TV being what it is (i.e. not real), my guess is that in the unlikely event this gets past first base they'll bung them in a studio on Earth, tell them they're on Mars and film the shenanigans. Just as 'good' telly and a much cheaper production. :suspect:

Avtrician
17th Feb 2015, 09:22
what instructions/advice would you, if you were the Mission Controller, give to the sane crewman?

Iwould tell them to let the troublesome one step out side for a short walk, have a smoke . he/she could come back in when they had settled down..

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::ugh:

cockney steve
17th Feb 2015, 10:00
An illiterate who is "boredof" earth, falls at the first hurdle, IMO

tony draper
17th Feb 2015, 11:09
Just watched some of the volunteers being interviewed on SKY NEWS, first time I've come across the people being interviewed actually being dumber than the News Person doing the interviewing.
It's just a TV reality show.
:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
22nd Feb 2015, 21:11
"The first crew fatality would occur approximately 68 days into the mission."
Scientists also said the amount of spare parts that would have to be brought in to keep the colony functioning could also make the cost prohibitive.
From (and more at):- Mars colonists 'would die after 68 days' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/space/11163395/Mars-colonists-would-die-after-68-days.html)

Loose rivets
22nd Feb 2015, 23:28
Since I'm too idle to write anything original, I'll just re-ramble with this:

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/388531-one-way-trip-mars-2.html#post5186396