PDA

View Full Version : Leapard hunts Crocodile.

Fareastdriver
13th Feb 2015, 20:20
I picked this up on Xinhua. I have spent some time in Africa. I would not have believed that this was possible.

Leopard hunts crocodile - Xinhua | English.news.cn (http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/photo/2014-11/03/c_133461700.htm)

G-CPTN
13th Feb 2015, 21:20
Apparently it tastes like fishy chicken.

85Shiney
13th Feb 2015, 21:40
Umm It's a Jaguar preying on a Caiman - only 2 facts to get right and they missed on both (although I concede that a Caiman is a crocodilian).

With skills like that a job on the Daily Mail awaits methinks.

PLovett
14th Feb 2015, 03:30
I thought a caiman was a species of alligator. Could be wrong - we only have 2 varieties of crocodiles in Oz; 1 is mostly harmless and the other voracious, very voracious.

Stanwell
14th Feb 2015, 04:43
PL,
The Caiman, while a member of the Alligator family, is still a Crocodilian.

The last time I was in Broome, there was an 18ft Saltwater Crocodile enjoying the surf at Cable Beach.
He was HUGE. I'd like to see a cat, of any size, try to take him on.

onetrack
14th Feb 2015, 06:24
we only have 2 varieties of crocodiles in Oz; 1 is mostly harmlessDon't ever believe for one moment that freshwater crocs are harmless. They will happily take a chunk out of you if they are feeling a bit nasty.
I've had one take a lunge and snap at me, when it was sunning itself on the banks of Geikie Gorge, when I got too close (less than a metre).

Fareastdriver
14th Feb 2015, 09:41
Umm It's a Jaguar preying on a Caiman

That's a bit embarrassing. I should have known that.

However I was right; a leapard taking a crocodile is not possible. They don't, like domestic cats, like getting their feet wet.

alisoncc
14th Feb 2015, 10:21
The last time I was in Broome, there was an 18ft Saltwater Crocodile enjoying the surf at Cable Beach. He was HUGE. I'd like to see a cat, of any size, try to take him on. Excuse me your big cat just killed my 18ft saltie.

How can that be?

My saltie choked when he swallowed your big cat whole.

RJM
14th Feb 2015, 12:42
Here in Australia you can buy crocodile meat for consumption. I wonder why there's no halal version available.

airship
14th Feb 2015, 13:26
Fareastdriver wrote: They don't, like domestic cats, like getting their feet wet. Wild tigers and (obviously Jaguars) being the sole exceptions (please excuse the pun)...? I guess that depends how hungry they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw8MAzLxz9w

Leopard and Cubs Cross River at Sabi Sabi - YouTube

Which leads me onto one of my favourite subjects. Cats which like water in Oz (the ones they don't treat as vermin):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMnK63ppBXU

:}

Fareastdriver
14th Feb 2015, 13:29
I took a ride on a Jumping Crocodile boat on the Adelaide River about 80 miles south of Darwin. On this boat we had a lecture on about the Saltwater Crocodiles were the last survivors of the Age of the Dinosaus and as such were totally untameable.

The dead straight wake through the river signalled this croc coming for his lunch and he performed as usual to get his pig's head.

Another day another continent and I was on a boat upstream from the Victoria Falls on the Zambesi River. Yet again there was this lecture on how the Zambesi Crocodile was a descendant of the dinosaus and again was completely untameable.

On cue came the straight line of a croc swimming from his bank on the Zambian side to get his lunch.

airship
14th Feb 2015, 13:38
On cue came the straight line of a croc swimming from his bank on the Zambian side to get his lunch. :ok:

Here's Jessica, a tame hippo. Wait until you see her opening the back-door and coming into the house...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3NueKXS6dk

If only God had created all the animals (including human-beings) to be vegetarians, we'd all be able to live happily together, forever after... :(

fujii
14th Feb 2015, 19:13
Leopard, not leapard.

West Coast
15th Feb 2015, 03:20
I got too close (less than a metre).

Intentionally or otherwise?

onetrack
15th Feb 2015, 04:01
Intentionally, of course. I was told these nice harmless freshies were just like carpet snakes - you can get up close and personal with them, without a problem! :ok:
So here I was, squatting in front of this 4' freshie, examining his fine structure, and when I raised myself up - he stood up on his haunches and snapped at me!

Apparently, that standing up rapidly in front of them, is what the croc reckons is a psych tactic to dominate them - so they promptly get very nasty about it.
Lesson learnt. Wild animals are wild animals, no matter how cute they look. The episode was about 30 years ago, when I was a little more gung-ho, and a lot less cautious.

I can tell you something else, too - don't trust those nice carpet pythons! Nasty, vicious, buggers they are!! Tried to get up close and personal with one, and the bugger reared up and struck at me!! :suspect:

Maybe the wild animals and I, just don't have mutual empathy?? :)

Hydromet
15th Feb 2015, 04:32
I can tell you something else, too - don't trust those nice carpet pythons! Nasty, vicious, buggers they are!! Tried to get up close and personal with one, and the bugger reared up and struck at me!!
Every carpet python I'd ever met had been placid, quite happy to climb all over me as long as I behaved like a tree - ie, don't grab it, but put your hand under it and lift it and let id climb over you. Guide it, don't grab it.

Then I met one early in the morning, beside the road as I cycled past. Guess he hadn't had time to warm up, and as I put my hand towards him, snap! Luckily, he missed, but not by much.

onetrack
15th Feb 2015, 08:08
Hydromet, I never even had a chance to get close to the carpet python. Just saw him crossing the road, so I stopped and got out for a look at him (in low, bushy, native vegetation), and as soon as I got within a couple of metres of him, he reared up and started striking at me.
Perhaps I looked like a feed? :suspect: He was a pretty thin, hungry-looking python. :(
I don't really like snakes in any shape or form, perhaps he picked up on that? :)

Fareastdriver
15th Feb 2015, 09:03
fujii Leopard, not leapard.

I'm not doing very well on this thread. I will have to write a strong letter to Xinhua.

Stanwell
15th Feb 2015, 09:46
Don't worry about it, mate - that was a fascinating series if pix. Thank you.
One had the feeling that caiman was a goner from the moment the jag laid eyes on him.
And.. it was a 'take-home' meal as well.