PDA

View Full Version : Fred's forecasting unsettled showers in the Manchester region....

was gingernut
13th Feb 2015, 19:22
Strangeways "A" block to be precise.

I know there are some fellow Alty Grammar Boy's on here....was it as bad a place (strict/violent etc) as it was painted ? Looks like today's decision was just the tip of the iceberg, the Scottish stuff hasn't yet come out.

Should the teachers have protected us more, or were these thing's just "par for the course" back then ?

Fred Talbot diary entries revealed desire for underage boys and code for sexual encounters - Crime - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/fred-talbot-diary-entries-revealed-desire-for-underage-boys-and-code-for-sexual-encounters-10044924.html)

Shaggy Sheep Driver
13th Feb 2015, 19:29
Fred, eh? Who'd have thought it!

I was up the road at the 'Christian' Brothers place a decade or more before Fred's Alty antics. Plenty of whacking going on but in my experience no 'kiddie fiddling' while I was there. There was a teacher sacked for it when I was in form 1 (he took a lad to the cricket at Old Trafford where the deed was done) but he was a 'civvy', not a CB.

One nasty piece of CB work from there is serving time now, however. But he started there after I'd left.

was gingernut
13th Feb 2015, 20:24
Interesting, was that AGS ?

Ex Cargo Clown
14th Feb 2015, 17:36
Fred, eh? Who'd have thought it!

I was up the road at the 'Christian' Brothers place a decade or more before Fred's Alty antics. Plenty of whacking going on but in my experience no 'kiddie fiddling' while I was there. There was a teacher sacked for it when I was in form 1 (he took a lad to the cricket at Old Trafford where the deed was done) but he was a 'civvy', not a CB.

One nasty piece of CB work from there is serving time now, however. But he started there after I'd left.

Mozza at SAC?

Krystal n chips
14th Feb 2015, 18:16
" was it as bad a place (strict/violent etc) as it was painted ? "

It was run on a totalitarian regime by a bigoted, senile and basically luddite individual.

A career ?...if you weren't destined for Dartmouth, Sandhurst or Oxbridge, you were pretty well defined as being of no interest or use. He detested the RAF per se.

The forms were comprised as to which part of the catchment area you lived in. The more affluent areas, the top two, unless you had exceptional ability.
The peasants were consigned to the lower two and treated as such.

Rugby was not allowed on the main site, because he found the posts offensive.

The staff varied from a few good ones, to many "job for life " psychotics.

There was at least one other I can think of who took an unhealthy interest in supervising the showers after sports. Nothing that I am aware of ever happened, but, he did leave and frankly if he's now on a certain register then it would come as no surprise.

Fred arrived after my time but it would be a huge irony if he was recruited by the above individual.

When said individual retired, a begging letter arrived asking for donations. He was there for 20 or more years, I really can't remember the length of time, only that the sum raised was about 60....which says it all.

I have a life long "present" from the Holy Catholic church's outlet just up the road....a nodule on my nose from playing school rugby in what was always a grudge match...kindly donated in the form of a straight arm tackle.

One year later, I saw his knee emerging from a ruck.....I can only hope the contact my boot made has left him with some form of " discomfort" in later life.

Tankertrashnav
15th Feb 2015, 11:06
Early thread drift, but questions for the OP - if you aren't gingernut any more who are you now, and why aren't you gingernut any more?

Been banned? Escaping from the police or HMRC? Undergone a sex change?

We'd love to know ;)

ETOPS
15th Feb 2015, 12:25
Well well ... I would never have guessed I was at school with the world renowned Krystal :)

Have to say your assessment is spot on - especially the bit about the psychotics. Cricket bat wielding Mr **** braining one our class on the sports field left an indelible impression on me - and the lad :eek:

I left with the words "you have essentially wasted your time and the schools here" ringing in my ears but somehow managed to craft a successful airline career in spite of AGS.......

crewmeal
15th Feb 2015, 13:37
When I was at a boarding school during the 60's this sort of thing was going on. I remember being invited to a master's study seeing a lad sitting on his lap. Also in the final year the gym master (who used to work in Saudi Arabia) was done for interfering with boys. Fortunately I left unscathed so to speak.

Still all this stuff has come out in the last few years because of this "Where there is a blame there is a claim" culture.

Exascot
15th Feb 2015, 14:10
Alty Grammar was an option for me in 1967. I went to Chethams in the end where a master was spoken to but not sacked for his anticts. Then we got girlies in 1970 and there has recently been a high profile case about the music master abusing one of them. I had many mates who went to AGS during the period in question they seemed happy and have been very successful. The other school close by was North Cestrian. My ex-father in law, Peter Morton, was headmaster there for decades. They had a master sacked for hugging a girl (so what) and streaking at a school.camp (oh well). Guess which school Talbot attended? Just before Peter became head though.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
15th Feb 2015, 16:23
North Cestrian - some of that lot used to be on our school bus to Wilmslow if we were unlucky. They were bit rough by the standards of us SAC shrinking violets!

Was it pronounced 'sestrian' or 'Kestrian'?

Krystal n chips
15th Feb 2015, 17:19
" North Cestrian - some of that lot used to be on our school bus to Wilmslow if we were unlucky

How utterly traumatic and appalling that must have been for you !...having to associate with the peasantry all the way from Hale Barnes to Weemaslow !

Never really had much contact with North Cestrian to be honest, other than rugby / cricket matches.

ETOPS...a small world then. You do realise you have shattered a few illusions as to my gender by your post now don't you !.....:)

Did our paths cross I wonder ?......incarcerated from 63-68.
As for the so thoughtfully offered parting words....mine were in a similar vein, as indeed were most it appears from others I have spoken to since and at the time.

" Which factory are you going to?"
" I'm joining the RAF and going to Halton".....no " sir" as you can imagine at this stage
" Oh, I am not surprised, the Air Force will take anybody".

As for Mr xxxx.....now, something out of water or replacing Krystal comes to mind and he was a nasty, little, piece of psychotic work.

Violence and humiliation were his forte....we clashed just before I left, for my refusal to jump from a wall bar to a rope because I felt it was dangerous....which it was. Oh how he enjoyed the ridicule....fast forward 3 years and I am happily hanging off bits of Welsh rock with a lot of airspace underneath....this time with professionals.

ETOPS
15th Feb 2015, 17:38
Did our paths cross I wonder ?......incarcerated from 63-68.

Yep.... 65 - 72 left with a pathetic handful of exam results and few happy memories except for a day trip to 4FTS at Valley. Sat in a Gnat and dreamed about being a fighter pilot - luckily the airforce had other ideas and rejected me out of hand.

Found 2 of my colleagues in BA were at AGS at the same time a year either side...

G-CPTN
15th Feb 2015, 23:49
Apart from the obvious, FT's mistake was becoming famous through his TV appearances.
This exposed him to those who he had assaulted rather than him being 'disappeared'.

Then there was his fastidious recording of events in his 'diary' - which ensured that the allegations of his victims were corroborated.

Of course, FT admits that his excessive drinking probably initiated activities that he might not have considered when sober.

Stupid boy!

Exascot
16th Feb 2015, 05:33
SSD North Cestrian is 'Kestrian'. They wanted to call it North Cheshire but the authorities wouldn't let them as it is independent so they 'latinised' Cheshire.

Turns out that my ex father in law was headmaster when Talbot was there :eek:

avturboy
16th Feb 2015, 10:09
Anyone remember another educational establishment just a few miles from AGS and with a very similar reputation. St Augustine's Grammar was the name (although in later years the name changed).

I attended St A's from 67-72, bullying, pupil to pupil and teacher to pupil (they set such a good example) was rife and then there were the 'other' issues. I believe at least one teacher did end up behind bars.

The place was demolished (late 90's I think) and there is housing estate in its place now, shame the school was ever built in the first place.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Feb 2015, 10:16
Where was St A's?

avturboy
16th Feb 2015, 10:51
Corner of Altrincham Road (A560) and Stancliffe Road in the wonderful district of M23 just on the border with Gatley

Headmaster was known by the nickname "Spike" due to his enormous hooter! He had ideas way beyond his station, he wanted to create his own "Stonyhurst College". The uniform made us a laughing stock, pink and blue vertical stripes, looked like we had been squeezed out of a toothpaste tube!

Ah ...happy days ... NOT

Shaggy Sheep Driver
16th Feb 2015, 17:30
Thanks - hadn't heard of it.

avturboy
17th Feb 2015, 14:05
St A's was an early stamping ground another illustrious teacher, Adrain Jesset, he was dealt with by the courts back in 2007 for offences similar to Fred the weatherman.

Exascot
17th Feb 2015, 16:11
avturboy: I thought you were referring to St Ambrose but that was Morris (Rev Defrocked :eek:)

What an area. Surprised I managed to get dragged up there in Hale unmolested. There was my riding instructor, a middle aged lady who was a stable girl in the 1952 Olympics, who tried to get me into the hay loft a few times but the hairy armpits put me off. Then there was the absolutly stunning art teacher who showed no interest in me at all. Life is so unfair :{

nonsense
19th Feb 2015, 16:52
My family emigrated from Hale Barns to Australia in 1968 when I was 5.

Curiously I ended up at an Australian grammar school, also with a headmaster known as "Spike", who took rather a lot of interest in his school swimming team, including in the change rooms. There were endless rumors, but anything more concrete was apparently successfully shut up.

Our Spike is long dead now; after his death the school historian approached Cambridge University for more information about his masters degree - they'd never heard of him!

was gingernut
19th Feb 2015, 21:04
Early thread drift, but questions for the OP - if you aren't gingernut any more who are you now, and why aren't you gingernut any more?

Been banned? Escaping from the police or HMRC? Undergone a sex change?

We'd love to know

Nothing so interesting I'm afraid.

Used to be able to remember my password (used to start with 454.....), but always had it backed up on a piece of paper pinned to my study wall, on a photo of my kids, in Mobberley.

Now in Cornwall, on Cornish Time, back up password is somewhere on one of my three thousand photo's, in one of the 65 boxes that I haven't unpacked.

But am still gingernut :-)

gingernut
19th Feb 2015, 21:20
Ha Ha, I'm Back :)

Can remember me password, have written it on the back of me'hand, should be okay there.

Tankertrashnav
19th Feb 2015, 23:17
Welcome back gingernut. Glad you haven't had to decamp to The Cayman Islands or had your bits removed ;)

Bloody awful day today - bet you wish you weren't back in Cornwall :(

gingernut
19th Feb 2015, 23:27
chasing bombers ?

Fangio
19th Feb 2015, 23:58
No one has mentioned Xaverian College in Rusholme, where beatings were the order of the day especially by the Headmaster a psycho if ever there was one, Xaverian Brothers were the same as the CBs religion was their only interest

We were told that we had no future careers because we were useless, I could not wait to join he RAF.

Tankertrashnav
20th Feb 2015, 10:16
As someone who attended a Jesuit school (St Aloysius in Glasgow) I've been struck by the contrast with the tales from institutions run by the Christian Brothers and my own school. Certainly discipline was strict and corporal punishment was administered (as it was in all schools in those days) but nothing excessive. Similarly I never once experienced any form of sexual abuse, or even heard a whisper of it.

The Jesuits represented the "premier division" in the Roman Catholic Church in the field of education, which was outstanding at St Aloysius. I can only speak as I find, and sympathise with anyone who had to put up with the sort of thing we've been told about on here and elsewhere.