PDA

View Full Version : Image/Photo resizer

Loose rivets
13th Feb 2015, 16:25
Took thirty minutes to fill in a form today and when I sent a jpg of my passport, it told me the picture was limited to 200k. Tell me now! :ugh: .gov, so what should I expect? Anyway, all I need is a safe resizer with very few bells and no whistles like L by W input options, just simply less data.

I'd like to see the final file size as I run it. That's quite important.

Any (strong or otherwise) opinions?

Wodrick
13th Feb 2015, 17:01
"Fast Image Resizer" works for me quick and simple.

vulcanised
13th Feb 2015, 19:48
I have used the program from www.picturesize.com for many years.

It provides all the information you might need.

The Flying Pram
13th Feb 2015, 20:06
A safe resizer with very few bells and no whistlesHere's a modern version of the old Image Resizer:

https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/It's about as simple as they get, but doesn't tell you the finished size, unfortunately. However as it's accessed by a right click on your chosen file, and creates the new version in the same directory, it's easy enough to do a "Properties" on the new one. If you want to do lots in one go, I use "FS Viewer":

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Togue
13th Feb 2015, 20:07
On windows 8.1, choose to open the picture with Photo Gallery then click on Properties and then Resize.

henry_crun
13th Feb 2015, 21:28
Windows>Office>Tools>Picture Manager

(from distant memory of heritage machinery)

Loose rivets
14th Feb 2015, 01:28
Had some success though so many things happen that are counter-intuitive. In henry's suggestion, 50% puts me rather over the top. 1.5mb to 360-ish. Why that ratio I don't know, but aiming for less I put 33% and got a very small file. :ugh:

Have another bash when the surgeon's knife is a more distant memory.

obgraham
14th Feb 2015, 03:52
Pixresizer. Does just what the name implies.

jimjim1
14th Feb 2015, 07:44
I had a look at this since I was not sure what the options were myself.

All tests done with a mug shot. No weirdness occurred. All images look "OK".

Using Paint - Pictures get resized - pixel count reduced.
This may or may not be acceptable with respect to passport requirements.

ugly-mug.jpeg 161k

Windows Explorer
Right click "ugly-mug"
Open with "Paint"
Resize to 90% - funny little two squares icon near "Select". Maintain aspect ratio.
Save As "ugly-mug-90"
Close paint
ugly-mug-90.jpeg 141k

Windows Explorer
Right click "ugly-mug" -- start with original each time seems a good idea.
Open with "Paint"
Resize to 80%
Save As "ugly-mug-80"
Close paint
ugly-mug-80.jpeg 116k

ugly-mug-70.jpeg 91k

##############

Office Picture Manager - This tool is designed for multiple picture batch processing but works fine on a single picture too. It is even included in my Office 2010 Starter which came free with the computer.

It offers a reduce size option but I have not tried that here. I "exported" the picture and chose a different jpeg compression level.

This has the property (advantage?) of retaining the same pixel count.

I moved the file into a folder that Picture Manager could see. It only sees "picture folders" as defined by Microsoft and by you.

Select picture
Click "File-->Export" Export toolbar appears on RHS (in my case)
Click "Jpeg Options ..."
Click "Custom compression setting" - choose a compression %.
Click "Return to export"
I changed the name of the file to preserve the original
Click OK - This actions the Export of the file.

Original file 161k
90% jpeg compression 121k
80% 70.5k
50% 34.4k

Let's see if % is an area based rule.

Original 161k
90% -> 81% of area -> 128k
80% -> 64% of area -> 103k
50% -> 25% of area -> 40k

Not really but it seems quite close. Might be worth a try as a first cut.

Good luck.

jimjim1
14th Feb 2015, 07:48
I hope that you are wearing appropriate religious headgear in the passport photo?

http://www.geekosystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/pastafarian-id.jpg

May His Noodly Appendage touch your heart.

Loose rivets
14th Feb 2015, 11:51
Tee hee...I'm looking very feint, that's for sure. I need this for a Blue Badge application. After 15 years of back problems I think it's a fair call. Nothing more I can do over the weekend, so I'll look at the options tonight.

I'm used to so much kit around me, just being in a borrowed house with not so mush as a printer is somewhat testing.

Thanks for all the input, chaps.

OzBob
15th Feb 2015, 09:33
An ideal piece of software (free download) is IrfanView for viewing and editing a wide range of image types and video files.
IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide (http://www.irfanview.com/)
When you download, also download the plug-ins for complete flexibility of the available options,
For re-sizing, you can define image size, by pixels or measurement, or % reduction.

India Four Two
15th Feb 2015, 17:49
This is clearly a Windows oriented thread, but for the benefit of Mac users, image resizing is available on all Macs, in the Preview app.

Select Tools, Adjust size ...

If you want to keep an unaltered original, select File, Duplicate before re-sizing.

G.Green
18th Feb 2015, 00:54
Yes I also recommend Irfanview. I have been using it for many years with no problems. It is simple and straightforward.