PDA

View Full Version : Don't throw rocks

Bronx
13th Feb 2015, 12:08
3EfhjNR73iw

Full screen recommended.

bcgallacher
13th Feb 2015, 13:05
Looks a lot like an execution to me. I did not know that throwing rocks was a capital offence in the U.S.Just another of the 400 a year.

Mr Chips
13th Feb 2015, 13:14
I was thinking about waiting for full details to come out about this, but hey, why bother.

"Don't throw rocks at armed Police who have already tried to Taser you". Seems like good advice for life, might look good on a T shirt....

Ancient Mariner
13th Feb 2015, 13:18
We were considering good old USA for this summer's vacation.
Nigeria it is then.
Per

charliegolf
13th Feb 2015, 13:45
I was trained in the dark ages and got all the blah blah about shooting for the torso mass; not shooting to 'wing' someone etc. But even I could have shot him in the leg at that range. Today, 30 years since last shooting a pistol. This will be the best whitewash in ages. Can't wait.

Of all the people who get offed by a cop in America annually, I wonder how many of the cops were ex-servicemen? Curious.

CG

MFC_Fly
13th Feb 2015, 14:13
Just a matter of time before WC comes on here saying it was justified, there isn't a gung-ho attitude in the States, everyone should be able to carry guns and shoot who and whenever they like, etc, etc :E

rgbrock1
13th Feb 2015, 14:14
charliegolf:

Of all the people who get offed by a cop in America annually, I wonder how many of the cops were ex-servicemen? Curious.

My estimate? Very, very few are former servicemen or women.

Ancient Mariner
13th Feb 2015, 14:18
Considering PTSD, of all the people who get offed by a cop in America annually, I wonder how many were ex-servicemen? Curious.
Per

rgbrock1
13th Feb 2015, 14:24
Most cops who I know, or have spoken to, who were in the military were in law enforcement i.e., MP's, SP's, etc.

And although military members who were in law enforcement may or may not have been in a combat theater of operations, most were not involved in the same type of situations as, say, an infantryman would have been. I think PTSD for former military law enforcement is not as prevalent an issue as it is for the ground-pounders/dirt eaters.

Ancient Mariner
13th Feb 2015, 14:30
Rgbrock,
I'm sorry, quick copy/paste not good.
What I meant to ask was; how many former/serving servicemen, suffering from PTSD may have killed by cops?
Per

rgbrock1
13th Feb 2015, 14:41
Ancient:

Quick answer? Too many.

charliegolf
13th Feb 2015, 14:57
charliegolf:

Quote:
My estimate? Very, very few are former servicemen or women.

My exact gut feeling Rock.

CG

Flyingmac
13th Feb 2015, 15:25
Don't be too hard on the cops. This one also shot an unarmed man, and you can see that he's really sorry. He thought the guy was about to pull a gun. No gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuJZUZBE8vg

obgraham
13th Feb 2015, 16:32
Well this happens to be my town. Cops here have a tough job -- lots of gang stuff and a relatively small police department.

However. As a supporter of the police, I have to say, I think they have a problem in this case, as long as it plays out as it appears. The guy was hopped up on methamphetamine. There needs to be better ways to deal with that.

Not all cops-versus-culprit cases are the same.

As for furrin' tourists: why in the world would you presume that this case is relevant to you?

Bronx
13th Feb 2015, 16:57
Mr ChipsI was thinking about waiting for full details to come out about this, but hey, why bother.
"Don't throw rocks at armed Police who have already tried to Taser you". Seems like good advice for life, might look good on a T shirt....

Check out the video from 0:12 seconds.
Whatever he did earlier, the guy ran off, the cops chased him, he stopped and they shot him.

Flyingmac
This one also shot an unarmed man, and you can see that he's really sorry.
All you can see is him crying.
Here's the same guy in action a few minutes earlier -
41mbUNWZASc#t

Maybe he was 'crying' because he knew he faced another investigation for shooting yet another unarmed man. In 2013, he shot another unarmed man after a routine traffic stop. Morrison said he shot him because he had a "crazed look on his face."

obgraham
However. As a supporter of the police, I have to say, I think they have a problem in this case, as long as it plays out as it appears.
So do I.
The video is very clear and there were lots of witnesses.

rgbrock1
13th Feb 2015, 17:18
It's kind of evident to me that the cop in question, the same one in the posted video who is seen crying crocodile tears, need no longer be a cop. It is equally evident to me that he has no notion of fire discipline nor self-discipline for that matter.

Perhaps he'd be better off in a career flipping burgers in McDonald's.

Krystal n chips
13th Feb 2015, 17:51
It's kind of evident to me that the cop in question, the same one in the posted video who is seen crying crocodile tears, need no longer be a cop. It is equally evident to me that he has no notion of fire discipline nor self-discipline for that matter.

Perhaps he'd be better off in a career flipping burgers in McDonald's

Or a career in the US Military....he seems to fulfil the selection criteria after all.

Two's in
13th Feb 2015, 18:53
Some time ago America decided that Mental Health care was too expensive for everybody concerned. Instead, the phrase 'Care in the Community" was coined to cover the fact that people with serious mental health issues are now allowed to roam the streets.

When Law Enforcement are confronted by people with mental health issues it's much safer to shoot them dead than see what the underlying health issue is. The cops may be killing them but it's years of successive maladministration that has created and sustained the problem. Very few other countries treat mental health issues as a capital offence, but here we do.

bcgallacher
13th Feb 2015, 20:07
Twos in - Sadly I think you have hit the nail on the head. With the very high possibility of whoever the police officer wishes to apprehend being armed the safest thing to do is shoot first. The result of an armed society for which there are no solutions

G-CPTN
13th Feb 2015, 20:37
But, wasn't the fugitive resisting arrest?

Gertrude the Wombat
13th Feb 2015, 20:41
As for furrin' tourists: why in the world would you presume that this case is relevant to you?
Not knowing the intricate details of the foreign culture might be one reason.

For example, in one part of the world the police might expect you to remain motionless, and if you try to put your hands up they shoot you because they think you're moving your hands to reach for a gun.

Whereas in another part of the world the police might expect you to put your hands up, and if you freeze they might shoot you for refusing to obey an armed policeman.

OK, in both cases they might have shouted "<somthing unintelligible>!" in a foreign language (eg American) at you half a second before pulling the trigger, but it's not clear that that helps much.

We're thinking a restricted area on the India/Burma border this year, having been to Jamaica twice already. Still haven't been to the lower 48 (apart from a couple of days in Dallas when I was young and innocent and not afraid of anything).

Gertrude the Wombat
13th Feb 2015, 20:45
Some time ago America decided that Mental Health care was too expensive for everybody concerned. Instead, the phrase 'Care in the Community" was coined to cover the fact that people with serious mental health issues are now allowed to roam the streets.
Yeah, we got that here too. Called by some "neglect in the community".

Ancient Mariner
13th Feb 2015, 22:33
Rgbrock:Quick answer? Too many.
Too bad. :(
Per

Mr Chips
14th Feb 2015, 00:55
Check out the video from 0:12 seconds.

I did. No soundtrack. Can't hear what the suspect is saying. Can't tell what he was throwing. Can't tell if he made threats to kill. Can't tell if he is on drugs. Can't tell if he is carrying a weapon. Can't tell what happened prior to the video starting. Can't tell if he is known to Police.

See why I have a strange fascination for actually hearing the facts?

Katamarino
14th Feb 2015, 01:53
No need for the facts in JB! Much easier to sit in East Anglia and pontificate about the intricacies of every day life in a place you've never actually been.

747 jock
14th Feb 2015, 02:34
Well, if the video gets posted on a forum with members from all over the world, there are going to be comments and opinions from people all over the world.
If comments and opinions weren't wanted, why was it posted in the first place?

obgraham
14th Feb 2015, 04:59
Well, the local report is that the police tazed the guy when he refused to stop tossing rocks at cars.

It had no effect. Then the incident on tape occurred.

Classic indications of methamphetamine use.

And yes, he was "known to police". But that's not enough -- we need better police training in dealing with unstable people. I agree with Two's-In. Closing down inpatient mental health care assured that these events will occur.

bcgallacher
14th Feb 2015, 09:43
Katamarino - I do not live in East Anglia,I have lived and worked in the USA ,does that qualify me to pontificate? If you have lived in East Anglia you will know the meaning of the word 'Prat'.